• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I made one a while back, if you're interested.
Thanks for posting, although this leaves much to be desired. Only one-sentence, minimal detail attacks. Not even damage percentages or mentions of lag? This is super bare bones, I'm more interested in a fleshed out set with care put into bringing the vision of the moves to life. Geno Shift is the only move that really grabs my attention.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Thanks for posting, although this leaves much to be desired. Only one-sentence, minimal detail attacks. Not even damage percentages or mentions of lag? This is super bare bones, I'm more interested in a fleshed out set with care put into bringing the vision of the moves to life. Geno Shift is the only move that really grabs my attention.
Yeah, I see what you mean. Thing is, I'm not much of a numbers guy. Not sure how to best balance a character who doesn't exist yet, especially when they're a zoner-type whose damage output needs to be considered in conjunction with their range.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
If you're looking for a moveset , there is a full fledged PM mod of Geno that is still available for download.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Yeah, I see what you mean. Thing is, I'm not much of a numbers guy. Not sure how to best balance a character who doesn't exist yet, especially when they're a zoner-type whose damage output needs to be considered in conjunction with their range.
That's fine, i appreciate what you did make anyway. Numbers are tricky but the easiest way to go about it is to just use existing Smash moves as reference points and use the frame data to build into it. Say you want a move with the lag of Ike's NAir, the range of Corrin's FSmash, and the damage of Mewtwo's DTilt. You can look up resources to pull these numbers together to build a move, then fill it out with a description and then range in either Stage Builder units or by comparing the hitbox of another move. There are great hitbox resources out there.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Do you guys think Geno is FP7??
Yep. I've had the theory that he would be 6 or 7 since last fall and recent events have further supported this.

My hypothesis going into 6 was that it would be a first party character that was highly likely to be a promotion. Why? Past precedent and I'll recap it. Let's review the history of Smash DLC:

Smash 4: Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta.

Ultimate Season 1: Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry, and Byleth.

What do you notice about the first character for each season? They have very close connections to Nintendo. Pokemon has been a Nintendo exclusive since 1996 and Plant is a Mario character. With Smash DLC, I established the hypothesis that Nintendo starts with companies and IPs already present in Smash before going to totally new companies and IPS. Here's the proposed "chain of events:"

-First party
-Second party
-Third party already present in Smash
-Third party brand new to Smash

Let's map this out:

Smash 4: Pokemon Company (Nintendo exclusive), Itoi (second party in Smash 64), Intelligent Systems (second party in Melee), Capcom (base game Smash 4), Square Enix (new to Smash), Intelligent Systems (second party in Melee), Platinum (new to Smash but owned by SEGA)

Season 1 Ultimate: Nintendo, Atlus (owned by SEGA), Armor Project (works with Square Enix), RARE (owned by Microsoft), SNK (new to Smash), Intelligent Systems/Tecmo (partially new to Smash)

Minus Corrin, this pretty much holds true. Going off this model, it suggested that 6 would either be first or second party and that was ultimately correct. So, what's next?

Following this model and past precedent, it suggests 7 will either be a repeat of a first party or second party or it will be a third party already present in Smash. My hypothesis based on a whole lotta factors is that Season 2 won't have repeating companies and each pack will be from a different company. My prediction since January has been the following:

Nintendo, Square, "Western", Namco, Capcom, and Microsoft.

Why is Square second? A lot of reasons but the simplest is that Nintendo has already worked with them which falls in line with the previous model. Various pieces of evidence suggest that the Square Enix character would be purely Square, something we already have in Smash in the form of Cloud. This is why Square would be the most likely of the 6 to be second and thus 77. Outside of Final Fantasy, the only purely Square property that was in the base game was, drumroll please... Super Mario RPG. Once again, this is significant because for both seasons of Smash DLC so far Nintendo has built off base game content before moving to totally new content, pushing Super Mario RPG content to the forefront of a Square Enix rep if they are indeed #7.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Assumig your idea of a double (2.5) reveal actually happens, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I do think he could be #8 instead, but if he's coming, I do feel like his reveal will be in June.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Assumig your idea of a double (2.5) reveal actually happens, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I do think he could be #8 instead, but if he's coming, I do feel like his reveal will be in June.
Another pastability that a lot of us have overlooked is a Smash Direct or a Smash presentation. Roy and Ryu were actually announced shortly before E3 in a separate presentation. The same could definitely happen again so that Nintendo can focus on other stuff in the actual "E3" direct.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I do think DLC 7/#77 is a touch more likely though (ever so teeny, tiny, slightly), given the whole SEVEN stars thing. By no means is that evidence of anything, but would be a cute little nod.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Question: What will we do if Geno is not Fighter number 77 as predicted?
"Fighters got switched around, no need to panic". I'll worry a bit, but I'm still pretty confident he's coming.
The big panic buttons would be a SE rep and the Geno costume returning, especially both.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
"Fighters got switched around, no need to panic". I'll worry a bit, but I'm still pretty confident he's coming.
The big panic buttons would be a SE rep and the Geno costume returning, especially both.
Given Geno's association with Nintendo, I wouldn't even hit the panic button if a Square Enix character got added.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

THE CONCH HAS SPOKEN!!!

Really though, it won't must up his chances but be a pretty cool nod towards the 7 stars if he is #77.

Given Geno's association with Nintendo, I wouldn't even hit the panic button if a Square Enix character got added.
I'm not so sure about that because unless there is another Fighters Pass, I don't see two more Square-Enix reps making it into this game.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I wouldn't assume he's dead, but I would be quite alarmed personally. The costume would be a much bigger nail in the coffin for sure.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
In response to the replies of my last post, whatever you guys do, don’t throw a fit or start a war on this topic if Geno does not get in overall, okay?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In response to the replies of my last post, whatever you guys do, don’t throw a fit or start a war on this topic if Geno does not get in overall, okay?
Not everyone here can keep that promise though. A lot of people in the Isaac thread were acting like it was the end of the world saying that they were not going to buy the game when he was confirmed as an Assist Trophy in the November 1st 2018 Smash Direct.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Nothing to worry about until we see another SE character or his costume returning. Then it might seem extremely unlikely. No matter how unfair that would seem, it would at least give us freedom to move onto other things.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not everyone here can keep that promise though. A lot of people in the Isaac thread were acting like it was the end of the world saying that were not going to buy the game when he was confirmed as an Assist Trophy in the November 1st 2018 Smash Direct.
Maybe, but it is still possible to do. It doesn’t have to be this way.

Now, imagine if Geno was confirmed as an assist back then...

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Maybe, but it is still possible to do. It doesn’t have to be this way.

Now, imagine if Geno was confirmed as an assist back then...?
If Geno was an confirmed as an Assist Trophy back then we wouldn't have made all this progress with surpassing the Smash 4 K. Rool and Ridley threads and surpassing 2000 pages and a quarter of 10,000 pages. This thread would have slowed down like the Isaac thread after his deconfirmation.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My predictions still stand because ARMS beating out Waluigi for 6 really didn't disrupt my model too much.

Nintendo, Square, "Western", Namco, Capcom, and Microsoft

Waluigi, Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, and Master Chief

Waluigi and ARMS are still base game first party and (highly probable promotions). My model then suggests that Nintendo will then move onto more base game content or go into new content not in the base game which is why the rest is mapped out the way it is. Per my predictions:

6 and 7: base game content
8-11: brand new content

I have Namco after Activision because I have a hard time seeing Crash dropped anywhere outside of E3. The most important Western event kind of calls for a big Western reveal. Coincidentally, this technically happened with Smash 4 as well because Ryu is registered under Capcom USA. Obviously, Banjo is Microsoft so this is yet another example of this happening. Tales also didn't have content in the base game so it still follows the model. Crash, Tales, DMC, and Halo are all similar in how they have no base game content and would be completely new IPs to Ultimate, once again, supporting my hypothesized chain of events.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Exactly. I agree that it would be a cute nod if he was 7th, but the notion that he "HAS TO" I feel is rather silly. Has far as we know, he (if he arrives) could be the last in the pass for what we know, with Nintendo finally ending on a big note.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Exactly. I agree that it would be a cute nod if he was 7th, but the notion that he "HAS TO" I feel is rather silly. Has far as we know, he (if he arrives) could be the last in the pass for what we know, with Nintendo finally ending on a big note.
For sure. As long as there's no other SE rep, and even worse, the costume returning, I don't see any real problem. For all we know, he could be at "E3" 2021.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I wouldn't assume he's dead, but I would be quite alarmed personally. The costume would be a much bigger nail in the coffin for sure.
Geno is worth almost nothing to Square Enix. Saying Geno isn't likely because of Sora or whoever ignores that characters aren't all equally valuable.

QQS

Smash Lord
SOME GENO SUNDAY MOTIVATION:
-No Mii Costume yet
-Copyrighted songs like Sans & Banjo
-Pattern of 2 songs per Square character
-Also 2 songs that fit perfectly for Geno. Forest Maze for him & Armed Boss for battles.
-“Back to the roots” scenario. Explained well in Terminal Montage video.
-First party being on topic (Geno is kind of a mix: being the ONLY Third Party coming from a First Party world)
-Costumes, Spirits or Assist don’t deconfirm
-More than 2 decades of fan demand
-Acknowledged by Sakurai himself
-Perfect moveset (timed hits)
-Perfect design to have more cartoonish characters
-“Not just recognizable; Fun to play”
-“We will be keep pleasing fans”
-Inkling, Chrom, KKR & Isabelle were from being costumes in Sm4sh to playables in Ultimate. Only missing Geno
-The “Big” are already here: Ridley, KKR and Banjo. Only missing Geno again. (You can add Isaac if you want).

AND NOW SCIENTIFIC REASONS:
-Character #77 is the next, fits Geno.
-Square would repeat their character slot being the second of each Fighter Pass. Hero was the second and Geno will be the second here.
-The difference between the spirit number of Geno (104) and his character number (77) is 27. The 2 means he is the second character of the FP revealed; and the 7 means his Challenger Pack.

AND DONT FORGET:
-Geno is the second person to join your party in Mario RPG
-Geno gives you the Second Star
-That Star is green, like a Forest, fits Geno’s background image color.
-He is from MARIO WORLD, just imagine him reunited with his old friends + Mallow in some form (I hope a premium costume or part of his Final Smash), and we are done.
-To crossover it more, you can mix Geno with Kirby or Rosalina elements.

It all strengthens Geno’s chances to be playable in Smash.

He’s gonna be in.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Geno is worth almost nothing to Square Enix. Saying Geno isn't likely because of Sora or whoever ignores that characters aren't all equally valuable.
It's more the whole "2 characters from a non-Nintendo company in the same pass" that kinda worries me. It just seems very unlikely that would happen. but that's just me. I never said it can't happen though, I just doubt it would.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
For sure. As long as there's no other SE rep, and even worse, the costume returning, I don't see any real problem. For all we know, he could be at "E3" 2021.
Hell, for what we know, two of the characters in this pass could be Square Enix (which would be the dream scenario for me since I want both Sepiroth and Geno :shades:) or non of them could be from Square Enix (shudders to think about the chance of it be only Nintendo IP advertisement only pack)

I mean, Hero was only shown over at E3 because "push Dragons Quest". If they would not have needed that, they could have put him around Terry¨s spot for all we know.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
So I've been playing some of the ARMS trial. I totally suck and it didn't take long for me to feel like I'd seen most of what the game had to offer. The games not for me but I'm not saying it's bad. I'd say the franchise has a lot of potential but really needs some major updates to freshen it up. Also I just feel like the learning curve is so high and I'm just not a competitive player or honestly very good at gaming anymore so I'm really struggling to figure out how to utilize the limited movement and attack options. I am by no means an expert on the game but after my short time with it I do have a few thoughts.

First of all, one thing that worries me is that Max Brass could be the character that gets chosen for Smash since he's the only character to really have a sort of legitimate role in the game being the champion. I still think Spring Man/Ribbon Girl are recognized as the mascots tho. Ninjara is probably my favorite but I also like Ribbon Girl cuz she just seems to have the best ability for newbies that I've tried. Moving on, I recognize that each characters ability is pretty unique in ARMS but I do feel like people are way overstating that importance in terms of translating to Smash. I feel like there very easily could be a shared moveset with maybe some slight variations for each character in a Bowser Jr scenario, but Hero alt type deal would probably be best if not just Spring Man/Ribbon Girl with maybe Springtron alt for Spring Man. I do feel like Twintelle would not work in this situation due to where her "arms" are situated I think it would be impossible for her to have similar animations. Most characters could work tho to a degree like Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Ninjara, Kid Cobra, etc have similar enough frames or at least no more different than those of Hero alts.

Helix could also be fun and I'd love to have mummy in Smash but Helix and Master Mummy are probably not getting in. I have pretty much come to the same consensus most people have about the game: steep learning curve, quickly gets stale, has a lot of potential but needs a lot of work, excellent albeit poorly fleshed out cast of characters, core gameplay needs changes, needs more modes, etc.

One thing I will say is that I really like a lot of the stages in ARMS and I think they could make a fun stage in Smash based on one. I really think they should just pick one and not do a traveling stage in this instance tho like maybe the one with the circular spring pad in the middle or the one with all the spring pads around the edges could make for an interesting stage. Or Kid Cobras stage would be cool and different. Destructible parts of the stage would be fun too.

At any rate there's a ton of things that ARMS could bring to Smash that would be new and fun and exciting to see at least. I really feel like there is potential for a somewhat customizable character which I would love to see, but after seeing how uninspiring Byleth's moveset is compared to how it could be I'm just not convinced we will get something from ARMS all that special but I do think it'll be more unique and fun than Byleth's moveset. Byleth not only made me disappointed in Nintendo but also in Sakurai. Honestly Sakurai could have been more creative with Byleth altho I suppose Nintendo could have stifled his creativity.

I also find it kinda funny how we have been waiting for 6's reveal thinking it'd shed more light on what FP2 will look like and because of the way they revealed the franchise and not the fighter it's made things more confusing and opened up speculation but kind of opened it up too much since we have such little information to go off of. It amazes me how Nintendo pulls stuff like this off even tho it's often infuriating. I also still feel really bad for Rex fans because I feel like this doesn't necessarily bode well for him since Nintendo has proven they don't care sometimes about what the fans want and will go out of their way to surprise us and put stuff in that they want to put in over what fans want and hopefully that's not the message they're sending with this whole pass.

In other news: Geno's still in the running boys and each thing that felt like a hurtle for our star boy is starting to topple. This could be our time! 5 spots remain.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have a announcement: I'm leaving the Geno thread. I will still support Geno regardless of me leaving, but I'm not going to be discussing here anymore until Geno get's confirmed. If you wish to talk with me about why I am leaving the thread, y'all can DM me.

Last edited:

LDGno97

Smash Cadet
SOME GENO SUNDAY MOTIVATION:
-No Mii Costume yet
-Copyrighted songs like Sans & Banjo
-Pattern of 2 songs per Square character
-Also 2 songs that fit perfectly for Geno. Forest Maze for him & Armed Boss for battles.
-“Back to the roots” scenario. Explained well in Terminal Montage video.
-First party being on topic (Geno is kind of a mix: being the ONLY Third Party coming from a First Party world)
-Costumes, Spirits or Assist don’t deconfirm
-More than 2 decades of fan demand
-Acknowledged by Sakurai himself
-Perfect moveset (timed hits)
-Perfect design to have more cartoonish characters
-“Not just recognizable; Fun to play”
-“We will be keep pleasing fans”
-Inkling, Chrom, KKR & Isabelle were from being costumes in Sm4sh to playables in Ultimate. Only missing Geno
-The “Big” are already here: Ridley, KKR and Banjo. Only missing Geno again. (You can add Isaac if you want).

AND NOW SCIENTIFIC REASONS:
-Character #77 is the next, fits Geno.
-Square would repeat their character slot being the second of each Fighter Pass. Hero was the second and Geno will be the second here.
-The difference between the spirit number of Geno (104) and his character number (77) is 27. The 2 means he is the second character of the FP revealed; and the 7 means his Challenger Pack.

AND DONT FORGET:
-Geno is the second person to join your party in Mario RPG
-Geno gives you the Second Star
-That Star is green, like a Forest, fits Geno’s background image color.
-He is from MARIO WORLD, just imagine him reunited with his old friends + Mallow in some form (I hope a premium costume or part of his Final Smash), and we are done.
-To crossover it more, you can mix Geno with Kirby or Rosalina elements.

It all strengthens Geno’s chances to be playable in Smash.

He’s gonna be in.

I adore this boy's enthusiasm ... always thinking about the various possibilities for Geno's inclusion in Smash, the evidence for it, the cameos he might have, his stage, his reveal trailer or his hypothetical moveset.
QQS, we definitely need your daily moral support <3 thanks for always looking optimistic about it. Greetings from Argentina

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I have a announcement: I'm leaving the Geno thread. I will still support Geno regardless of me leaving, but I'm not going to be discussing here anymore until Geno get's confirmed. If you wish to talk with me about why I am leaving the thread, y'all can DM me.
Sad to hear :(

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I have Namco after Activision because I have a hard time seeing Crash dropped anywhere outside of E3. The most important Western event kind of calls for a big Western reveal.
Then, since we're getting an announcement of the ARMS character and their release in June, wouldn't that mean you would also have to swap out Geno and Crash? Unless you're thinking we're getting 3 character announcements in 1 Direct which justbl doesn't seem feasible in the slightest.

You gotta put your chips on either Geno being the big E3 reveal or Crash being it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Then, since we're getting an announcement of the ARMS character and their release in June, wouldn't that mean you would also have to swap out Geno and Crash? Unless you're thinking we're getting 3 character announcements in 1 Direct which justbl doesn't seem feasible in the slightest.

You gotta put your chips on either Geno being the big E3 reveal or Crash being it.
Can't say I can really speak for others, but considering the thread he normally posts on, I am sure he'll go with Geno. Just saying.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Unless you want to think we are getting two more reveals with Geno as the Hero reveal and Crash as the Banjo reveal. It's kind of a lot but I can't really rule out not getting a double reveal for E3

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Unless you want to think we are getting two more reveals with Geno as the Hero reveal and Crash as the Banjo reveal. It's kind of a lot but I can't really rule out not getting a double reveal for E3
That would technically be a triple since we're getting the ARMS character confirmed then as well.

Which isn't impossible. The same general thing happened with Lucas, Roy, and Ryu but that was 5 years ago and consisted of two Semiclones.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That would technically be a triple since we're getting the ARMS character confirmed then as well.

Which isn't impossible. The same general thing happened with Lucas, Roy, and Ryu but that was 5 years ago and consisted of two Semiclones.
And it also was a different business model from Smash Ultimate. I wouldn't count on it.

I think having one more reveal has a reasonable chance of happening.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
At the very least we know we have information coming in June. We know when we'll be getting the details and won't need to spend every day of the week checking for updates.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Yo, our boy TerminalMontage TerminalMontage just released a new Something About video!

Also, here are the current number of Geno cameos I could find thus far!
-= Season 3 =-

Something About MHW Iceborne
- No Geno cameo.

Ditto's Daycare Dance ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ Star Coin Collector Remix by @MyNewSoundtrack
- Geno cameo at 1:29, when Ditto is raining eggs down from the sky, Geno can be seen falling in from the right side of the screen.
TMGeno029.png

Something About Super Metroid
- Geno cameo at 2:55, while the Zebesian is flicking through different camera feeds, one of them shows Geno ensnared in some wires.
TMGeno030.png
If I've missed any cameos from these videos, feel free to let me know.
The search continues...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom