• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You’re the one making assumptions, my friend. I could literally care less about what happens to people on the internet.
The Smashboards staff cares and we treat it very seriously. If you or anyone on Smashboards actively goes out (as we saw earlier) to troll/harass/stalk/insult a member of the online community and then post about your antics here...

YOU WILL BE GIVEN A WARNING

Join gamefaqs or 4chan if that’s your preferred style but, at Smashboards, that sort of behavior is not tolerated.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces

Take it to DMs or something, please guys.

Anyway, on the whole ARMS-in-Smash discussion, I’m also kind of shocked at how much of the Geno thread is upset to see a character that increases our chances in some regards due to seemingly being a promotion, but I guess some people will always be unhappy to see a character other than the one they personally want. I mean, that’s fine; I don’t intend to police anyone’s happiness. Some people only like a couple of characters, and are disappointed when anyone else comes down the pipe, and that’s fine. Just be careful how you express that; saying things like “who even wanted this to begin with” and the like just end up marginalizing the people who are happy with the announcement.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Those are fictional and adult TV shows that are simply poking fun between people that most likely know one another.
That's completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter if Family Guy isn't real, it's still mocking real people, and for the enjoyment of a much larger audience. By your own logic that would make cartoonists like him one of the biggest groups of bullies around. And how can you honestly say that he knows everyone he's mocking on his show? Does Seth MacFarlane really knows the likes of Barack Obama or Bill Clinton as friends?
They aren't genuinely trying to cause targeted aggression towards a person for something as smalltime as their opinion on a children's video game. The lack of empathy here is disturbing.
How do you know for sure that BestGuyEver is trying to incite harassment by making fun of a single comment he found? How do you know for sure that the South Park guys weren't trying to rile up a mob of toxic individuals to go harass the celebrities and political figures used in their "parodies"? How is it fine for a multi-million dollar company like FOX to run a cartoon that mocks celebrities and political figures but it isn't alright for a random guy on the internet to make fun of one random person's random comment?

Last time I took a disagreement I had with someone to DMs, they wouldn't talk to me and said I was harassing them.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Uh, guys? I think it is better that we move on from this whole bullying talk thing and go back to discussing Geno?

I mean, these kinds of discussions are problematic, and not good, overall.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
That's completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter if Family Guy isn't real, it's still mocking real people, and for the enjoyment of a much larger audience. By your own logic that would make cartoonists like him one of the biggest groups of bullies around. And how can you honestly say that he knows everyone he's mocking on his show? Does Seth MacFarlane really knows the likes of Barack Obama or Bill Clinton as friends?

How do you know for sure that BestGuyEver is trying to incite harassment by making fun of a single comment he found? How do you know for sure that the South Park guys weren't trying to rile up a mob of toxic individuals to go harass the celebrities and political figures used in their "parodies"? How is it fine for a multi-million dollar company like FOX to run a cartoon that mocks celebrities and political figures but it isn't alright for a random guy on the internet to make fun of one random person's random comment?

Last time I took a disagreement I had with someone to DMs, they wouldn't talk to me and said I was harassing them.
No point in continuing this topic. The Mod has spoken. Harassing people won't be tolerated here.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

And I agree

Continuing this debate with what a bully is and what not is extremely off-topic. The very core of the issue was off-topic and uncalled for. I am stopping the discussion here. Anyone who tries to continue said discussion will receive a spam warning.

I will close down the thread temporarily if I need to so please keep that in mind when deciding how to proceed forward.

D

Deleted member

Whatever. If you don’t want my company, I wont give you it. Delete my account while you’re at it. I’m never coming back here.

Lagguino

Smash Apprentice
On a cloud with some kid to defeat the Red Ribbon
So, man, I just caught up with the thread and with things going on.

There was an announcement for a mini direct, after a long time, SOMETHING. A pleasant surprise after awhile. And in regards of the content, it wasn't something world shattering or world breaking, if that makes sense. It was ok, all things considered. They showed enough and gave a reason of why there isn't much going on, the Co-Vid19 fiasco.

At least with this, we're willing to wait more. Just enough for many, but for me I'm good until the middle of the year when the next character of Smash comes. And man, we GOT IT.

An Arms character. That, was a pleasant surprise. A character from a series that fits Smash and that IMO deserves the attention. Now it can join alongside Splatoon which I felt was a bit lonely as the new 1st party series but with the announcement, not so much. I am not a huge fan of the series but I like the designs, the concept and the characters. In other words, the series DESERVES the opportunity.

Which brings me to my next point. Why are people so upset that Arms got a chance? Is it because of the series? The character or potential character? Or is it just because it is not "your character that is wanted"? Man, I understand some disappointed but goddamn, the level of salt and bitchiness of some people is astounding.

Saying that the character belongs to a "dead series"/flop, whatever and support characters that have not that much different "stance" is as hypocritical as you can possibly be.

YOU HAVE NO GROUND TO SAY THAT CONSIDERING IN WHAT THREAD WE ARE IN RIGHT NOW. A character that gets flack every other day for the same reasons, like it or not.

Seeing people's salt of the situation is amusing, and disappointing. I thought that it wouldn't happen with this announcement but I guess I was wrong. It will happen with each and every character that isn't who you wanted.

And then people wonder why the meme "H0E$ M4D" exists...

Just my $0.02 on the matter as I needed to get my thoughts out there, because damn. Just chill guys.

BTW, if you'll excuse me, I'll go to the respective Arms threads to offer my congrats.

:bobomb:.

Tbh most of this thread is actually not mad about an arms rep its only a few here but mostly I've seen people happy, welcome, or just ok about it. Heck its even possible that this arms rep is possibly putting a end to the spirits rule which many people I've seen here are happy about

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Hey there !

As I said, I made the model for my Mario Kart Geno.
I'll have to buy a new available kart to customize for him when I can, so here is a lousy photoshop of him and his the future vehicle.
( on the right it's the original pic inside Lochlady's kart ).
mygeno.PNG
Anyways, he was really fun to make !

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hey there !

I'll have to buy a new available kart to customize for him when I can, so here is a lousy photoshop of him and his the future vehicle.
Now that is awesome! Wonderfully done. I also really like the seven stars on the front of the kart.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Hey there !

The dreeeaaam.

Super cool!

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Hey there !

Dang, that looks great!

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Now I can't help but feel even more giddy about getting an ARMS rep because it could mean that this pass is about second chances. Geno, Rhythm Heaven rep, Waluigi, Rex, Issac, possibly more I'm forgetting... All characters strongly considered but excluded for one reason or another. We now have good chances of seeing some of them make it, which will make myself and/or many fans happy. Though, I doubt we'll get everyone I named, because that would be the entire pass and I don't think fan demand will take up all of it. They have the casual audience to appeal to as well, who would probably be baffled by Geno, but excited by Crash or Master Chief. But 2-3 more fan picks are a strong possibility, and Geno leads the pack

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hey there !

Here is Geno in a Kart. Where will he go? What will he do? And what symbol is on his Kart?
GenoVroom.png

THE CHOICES ARE YOURS AND YOURS ALONE!

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
What's more odd is why you're quoting me from 13 pages ago o_O

TBH I don't even believe that, I was just piggybacking off the general idea at that moment. I do think we'll have some 3rd parties involved, possibly a few less though. There's also way too much evidence in Geno's favor for him to get cucked a third game in a row; I refuse his fate is to be shunted back to costume status after dodging it in both base and Hero's pack.
I happen to reply to posts weeks ago since I'm slow at catching up, sorry about that. lol

I also don't want Geno coming back as a Mii costume, he deserves so much more than that; whether it's him becoming a DLC character or returning to the Mario series as a playable or supporting character. I really hope he makes it this time. It's now or never for Geno.

MarioTime

Smash Apprentice
Hey there !

Omg I like this a lot! Looks awesome ^^! Ngl I would main Geno in Mario Kart (sorry Toad and Shy Guy lol)

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Hey guys!

With all the current spare time, I intend to make a custom Mario Kart Hot Wheels Geno ( along with other Mario characters and my girl Shantae ), but since I'm not very familiar with Geno and Mario RPG, I don't know which colors would his standard kart be painted in.
What do you say ?

View attachment 267305
The custom ones are Mc Ballyhoo, Lochlady, Petey Piranha, Honey Queen, E.Gadd, Princess Shroob and Birdo.

Also, would giving him a Mach 8 ( the one used by Petey Piranha here ) be a good match as well ?
Here is Geno in a Kart. Where will he go? What will he do? And what symbol is on his Kart?
View attachment 267548
THE CHOICES ARE YOURS AND YOURS ALONE!
Wow, these are incredible. The Mach 8 would be great or just the standard kart. The colors can be blue, brown, or yellow; the very front/tip of the kart could be orange, but these are all up for you to decide. :)

MisterMike MisterMike , why not just use the red star for his symbol, you know, the one from the star guage when Geno charges up Geno Beam, Geno Blast, and Geno Flash? It's the red star with eyes.

Or you could just use the red star as his symbol, the one that appears when he's about to use one of his special attacks.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I came across this video and it seems extremely on topic regarding that anime stan trying to bring everyone down for wanting Geno yesterday. It makes me feel a little bit better because

Bottom line is, don't worry about what other people think of Geno. The only thing you need to know is you like Geno. Nobody can change who you are or tell you that you are ever wrong.

Now let's get this bread and keep our fingers crossed for Spring Man, Min Min etc to appear as the ARMS rep. Will really kick start my motivation to get back into this game again!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Here's a question I don't think was asked about Geno just yet in the context of Smash: the victory theme. Do you think the theme will cut off or will it continue playing during the victory screen given the length of the original track from Super Mario RPG?

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Wow, these are incredible. The Mach 8 would be great or just the standard kart. The colors can be blue, brown, or yellow; the very front/tip of the kart could be orange, but these are all up for you to decide. :)

MisterMike MisterMike , why not just use the red star for his symbol, you know, the one from the star guage when Geno charges up Geno Beam, Geno Blast, and Geno Flash? It's the red star with eyes.

Or you could just use the red star as his symbol, the one that appears when he's about to use one of his special attacks.

Thank you everyone !

The red star idea is really great, plus it would totally make the work easier for me.

Making Geno really led me to want to know him better and play Super Mario RPG once and for all.
I think I'll like Mallow as well and make a Mario Kart figure of him down the line too.

Talking about Mallow, is there a ( spoilerfree) reason for him to be seemingly much less popular than Geno ?

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Here's a question I don't think was asked about Geno just yet in the context of Smash: the victory theme. Do you think the theme will cut off or will it continue playing during the victory screen given the length of the original track from Super Mario RPG?
I see it continuing to play. Victory fanfare keeps going whenever Cloud wins, so I don't see why not. It could stop after 7 seconds into the victory theme, but I'd prefer the soundtrack to keep going. :)

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Clouds victory theme keeps looping, even after the victory animation, they can definitely do the same for Geno

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Yes. If Cloud's can, then so can Geno's.

T2by4

Smash Lord
How are we currently feeling about Geno's chances? I feel like if they don't pick an arms AT or Spirit Geno may be in big trouble. If they do get in then I think it's safe to say Geno is guaranteed. In fact, if they do reveal that the fighter is an AT or spirit I think they'd show Geno immediately after since they know people would speculate Geno's fate. They are absolutely aware of his popularity, plus it'd make sense to make him #77 given the game title he comes from.

Overall, I think we should just get comfy for the next few months since by the time this year is over, there is a chance we may never interact with each other again. Our time is coming Genogang.

Attachments

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I almost want to say Steve is more likely, but I think his weirdness (visuals/animations) and lack of a kit are what's holding him back.
Say what you will about his visuals (though they really wouldn't be a problem at all; it just depends on opinions regarding how people may think he looks, and they already have lively animations for him/other characters in official trailers and gifs), but Steve doesn't lack a kit whatsoever and I never understand why people say this. His kit can easily be imagined with different move options with enough creativity and we already have characters who lacked kits, having seemingly a lot less stuff to work with than Steve, who has many, many items including unique ones.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
As for Geno's chances ... it would greatly increase if we see the ARMS fighter is anyone that is a Spirit. I have a hard time imagining Nintendo would not have Spring Man as the fighter, or if he is not the first Alt of multiple fighters.

If that is the case ... man ... the last remaining "fan rule" will be debunked completely. So Geno's chances would soar. This also includes other promotions too. Will we see a lot of promotions .... maybe not ... but it at least leaves the door open.

If Nintendo/Smash team does this ... having a promotion ... it will be even BIGGER than Joker being announced. We've already had the whole "anyone outside of Nintendo can happen" ... but can you imagine now the conversation of "literally anyone can be in it, despite being a spirit/mii costume/Assist Trophy.

That ... will be glorious. So this ARMS fighter can either be the most exciting thing ever ... or not. I want to be excited. I really do. I admit for myself after Byleth ... my enthusiasm has been affected pretty bad. I just don't want Nintendo to be so ... deaf. If we get some kind of advertisement character, be it from a new ARMS character from some kind of years later DLC or a sequel ... it will really kill my spirit. Just twisting the knife after Byleth. (I like Fire Emblem, I used to play it and was quite fond of it. I personally just don't like new game advertisements. So shameless. This is the guy would would have loved to have Lynn or Hector [Axe User, something different!])

Please Nintendo, excite me. Excite the Smash base. Even though I have not, nor plan on playing Persona series ... when Joker came in the conversation of "who can be in Smash" really opened up. Really, really opened up.

Please don't close the conversation Nintendo. Don't do just advertisement character for newer games. I love Pokemon ... and yes, I"ve enjoyed to an extent the new Sword and Shield ... but if a new rep for the DLC comes ... just why?

Go Geno.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Sry since this is slightly not related to geno but something I’ve been thinking...

With the pandemic kinda stalling virtually all game development for a bit, I think Nintendo might start releasing more snes games and nes ones on their service more frequently, in order to pad out the inevitable drought. It’d probably be a relatively simple thing to do for em, not requiring many people to be close to each other.

So the silver lining here is most of us who grew up in the 16 bit gen will at least have stuff to look forward to soon.

So yeah, smrpg COULD be one of the games, but if geno is in smash they might hold off on it till his reveal.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Say what you will about his visuals (though they really wouldn't be a problem at all; it just depends on opinions regarding how people may think he looks, and they already have lively animations for him/other characters in official trailers and gifs), but Steve doesn't lack a kit whatsoever and I never understand why people say this. His kit can easily be imagined with different move options with enough creativity and we already have characters who lacked kits, having seemingly a lot less stuff to work with than Steve, who has many, many items including unique ones.
I dislike Steve, but I must admit, his moveset potential is easily some of the best among characters yet to be in Smash. He could be pretty weak in his base form, with moves that have high base knockback but low knockback growth. So, your goal is to get the opponent offstage, and while they're recovering, that's when you're mining and crafting. I like the thought of Steve being able to upgrade his armor/weapons. Steve is dummy strong with everything upgraded, but a skilled opponent will ensure Steve doesn't make it there that often. But of course, Steve starts becoming a good character once he's around the middle of all his potential upgrades, so it's not like he'd suck unless fully upgraded. It would make for an interesting and unique dynamic imo.

Steve's off-topic for this thread, though. So I will say, I like that Geno will likely offer something unique as well. Timed hits for longer combo strings or at least, heavy damage would probably make him a force to be reckoned with.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I personally don't want Steve at all due the the aesthetic of Minecraft, but I have to agree the moveset argument for Steve is bull****. He has like infinite moveset potential.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
With the pandemic kinda stalling virtually all game development for a bit, I think Nintendo might start releasing more snes games and nes ones on their service more frequently, in order to pad out the inevitable drought. It’d probably be a relatively simple thing to do for em, not requiring many people to be close to each other.
That's genius, but they didn't do it in March, y'know, the perfect and stupidly easy thing to fill that awful direct a bit? They really should have done that :\ Makes me feel like they won't.

I think it's because most people think Geno is cooler. If there are any complaints I've heard against Mallow it's because he's a crybaby. Poor Mallow lol. I think he's cool too
But imagine being such a crybaby that you literally make rainshowers with your tears. He's also got this cute thing to him when he gets mad and becomes rash (i.e., storming Valentina), yet when Mario does it, he's like "WOAH CALM DOWN THERE, BRUCE LEE!" (i.e., Bowyer). Like yeah, storming one dude and some arrows is tooooootally unreasonable, but storming a castle with 2 guards in front and lord knows what else inside (THERE WAS A *LOT* OF STUFF INSIDE, INCLUDING LOCKED DOORS, MALLOW!), absolutely fine.

I personally don't want Steve at all due the the aesthetic of Minecraft
It's more than that for me personally, but I would like a Minecraft stage and I've been saying that for the entirety of the DLC speculation for Ultimate. I think that would be really fun with the different kinds of mobs you could have, potential for a random boss fight (Ender Dragon, Wither, etc), and an off-screen "player" could be mining the stage or placing blocks to create more of one.

but I have to agree the moveset argument for Steve is bull****. He has like infinite moveset potential.
I guess I'm just not imaginative enough. I also wasn't saying it can't be done, I'm just trying to envision what would be done and that possibility could be what's holding him back (which were my words). All I can think of is a lot of Villager DownB-esque specials or placing/mining blocks, but that seems like it would potentially break a lot of rules for competitive. Literally messing with a stage in some way (mining it or placing more) seems like it could be game-breaking.

The one thing I'd want to see are his alt costumes, because I could totally see a Mario, Yoshi, etc skin for him to wear. I'd really hope they don't just use all the default skins (outside of Steve and Alex).

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
That's genius, but they didn't do it in March, y'know, the perfect and stupidly easy thing to fill that awful direct a bit? They really should have done that :\ Makes me feel like they won't.

But imagine being such a crybaby that you literally make rainshowers with your tears. He's also got this cute thing to him when he gets mad and becomes rash (i.e., storming Valentina), yet when Mario does it, he's like "WOAH CALM DOWN THERE, BRUCE LEE!" (i.e., Bowyer). Like yeah, storming one dude and some arrows is tooooootally unreasonable, but storming a castle with 2 guards in front and lord knows what else inside (THERE WAS A *LOT* OF STUFF INSIDE, INCLUDING LOCKED DOORS, MALLOW!), absolutely fine.

It's more than that for me personally, but I would like a Minecraft stage and I've been saying that for the entirety of the DLC speculation for Ultimate. I think that would be really fun with the different kinds of mobs you could have, potential for a random boss fight (Ender Dragon, Wither, etc), and an off-screen "player" could be mining the stage or placing blocks to create more of one.

I guess I'm just not imaginative enough. I also wasn't saying it can't be done, I'm just trying to envision what would be done and that possibility could be what's holding him back (which were my words). All I can think of is a lot of Villager DownB-esque specials or placing/mining blocks, but that seems like it would potentially break a lot of rules for competitive. Literally messing with a stage in some way (mining it or placing more) seems like it could be game-breaking.

The one thing I'd want to see are his alt costumes, because I could totally see a Mario, Yoshi, etc skin for him to wear. I'd really hope they don't just use all the default skins (outside of Steve and Alex).
I remember when people were thinking stage builder might get a minecraft aesthetic or somthing of the sort. Back when Verge's word was more or less accepted no question and Minecraft content was on the radar. I liked that implementation

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Polarthief Polarthief

I think the reason they didn’t in march is partly cuz they weren’t sure just how much this was gonna change things.

The virus really didn’t start the economic meltdown and social distancing requirements/recommendations until just a few weeks ago. While Nintendo technically could have slapped it in there in the direct, they probably wanted to drum up hype for new stuff that will still arrive.

Once that stuff hits in June, I suspect we’ll start to see more retro games start dropping on the snes and nes service since they won’t really have much else to announce for awhile.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I don't wanna say Geno would be inevitable if the Arms characters are AT/Spirit upgrades., After all, Nintendo keeps throwing curve balls at us and Geno not getting in would be a massive curveball right in their wheelhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom