• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I have done that, so thanks for that.
Well then you're basically caught up. It's just been a whole lotta "what ifs?" and waiting for more information. Outside of getting rid of detractors and trolls, it's just been talking about Geno/Mario RPGs/off topic stuff, and the evidence list, really. Oh and directs, lots and lots of direct speculation since we're all going a bit insane.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Well then you're basically caught up. It's just been a whole lotta "what ifs?" and waiting for more information. Outside of getting rid of detractors and trolls, it's just been talking about Geno/Mario RPGs/off topic stuff, and the evidence list, really. Oh and directs, lots and lots of direct speculation since we're all going a bit insane.
Don't forget the fundraiser. We've raised 40% of our goal to donate to Starlight which basically grants wishes to kids in the hospital so we're trying to follow in the cosmic footsteps of our star boy.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Don't forget the fundraiser. We've raised 40% of our goal to donate to Starlight which basically grants wishes to kids in the hospital so we're trying to follow in the cosmic footsteps of our star boy.
Oh sorry yeah that too. My head's not on right tonight, sorry.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I was just scrolling through, trying to catch up on things, and then I suddenly saw my art show up for a second time in this thread.

View attachment 265993

Awesome fan-art by tonycaline on IG.

GENO GETS BACK ON THE ROAD!

First of all - thank you! I'm glad folks still appreciate that, it was one of my more fun pieces to do last year.

I reposted the art to my Instagram because I'm trying to use that more often, and I'm actually kind of surprised that it made the rounds and managed to find its way back over here! I originally posted it on Page 1686 back in November.

The current page count blows me away considering it's only been a few months since then. My goodness.

As far as the current going-on's with the Indie presentation coming up, it's exciting to just have some kind of fresh news coming up, and I can't ignore that little speck in the back of my mind suggesting we could be seeing the general presentation next week, and who knows what we'll find out? With any luck... our boy will have his day!

Fingers crossed, hats at the ready.

QQS

Smash Lord
I was just scrolling through, trying to catch up on things, and then I suddenly saw my art show up for a second time in this thread.

First of all - thank you! I'm glad folks still appreciate that, it was one of my more fun pieces to do last year.

I reposted the art to my Instagram because I'm trying to use that more often, and I'm actually kind of surprised that it made the rounds and managed to find its way back over here! I originally posted it on Page 1686 back in November.

The current page count blows me away considering it's only been a few months since then. My goodness.

As far as the current going-on's with the Indie presentation coming up, it's exciting to just have some kind of fresh news coming up, and I can't ignore that little speck in the back of my mind suggesting we could be seeing the general presentation next week, and who knows what we'll find out? With any luck... our boy will have his day!

Fingers crossed, hats at the ready.
Nice art bro. I always check the #genoforsmash hashtag on IG in order to see people’s new art, music, or anything people all over the world create to spread some love for the puppet.

That’s how I found that Sakurai liked a picture of a handcrafted figure of Geno back in OCTOBER 9 2014. If I’m not wrong, that period is the post-release of SmashWiiU, or in other words, where Ultimate began production (correct me if I’m wrong).

Most important thing is that SAKURAI himself liked “ianmcck304” photo on Instagram. Amazing art and epic like from the boss himself.

825ED126-D267-4468-9D48-1E033474FAD3.jpeg

This is old news that has been discussed before but it’s good to remember, given our next crucial period that is coming and for new members to know this.

GenoFoSmash could perfectly see the light at the end of the tunnel next week. Maybe as 76, or I hope as 77, but it would be better in a magic double-epic reveal. For example: Shantae/Geno; or Shovel/Geno; or Crash/Geno; or Doom/Geno: or Ryu/Geno or most likely: Waluigi/Geno.

We have so many reasons to believe that he is coming as #77 as Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said; and also check the list of Pros by Polarthief Polarthief . Thank you papagenos papagenos for the dedication and good job. Finally, thanks to PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate because this thread has turned 3 years old today, with over 2500 pages and over 100.000 posts.

Thank you Sakurai, Nintendo & Square.
Thank you to the artist and credits for him for using his art.

Geno is happening, Geno will descend after 24 years.

GENO GETS THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD!

Best wishes from Chile, QQS QQS

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Posting for whoever's convenience. It's in my sig, but if Smashboards is dumb and stinky as usual*, you might not see the sig, so here ya go.

(* Not actually bashing the site, but most of my posts seem to just not have my sig in it)
Only the first of your posts on any given page will have your sig. This is to cut down on how often it's posted to make the site easier to browse. Especially as they can have larger images, including gifs in them(though I don't think embeds are typically allowed due to the sig size rule anyway??).

Firox

Smash Master
The world isn't allowed to ebd till we get Geno.
Afterwards we need at least 8 years if PGR with Geno before that so, at least 1 "Art of Geno" from Izaw, an amiibo, and two Terminalmontage videos.

Then I guess we're cool.

Oh we also need real life official Geno hats.
Agreed. Even after getting Geno, we can't cash our chips without getting at least a solid decade of playtime, memes, and other fanmade content.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
New crackpot theory- I wonder if the direct being so late has anything to do with Doom Eternal being pushed? The direct is due out after Doom (and Animal Crossing for that matter), but with the cacodemon hat, it makes me think Doom Guy was originally number 75, Byleth was switched in once Doom got delayed, and now we're waiting for Doom to come out before Nintendo can show off Doom Guy...

D

Deleted member

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Very interesting. Maybe the character was supposed to release this month? Also, no this is not a joke tweet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Well , there's one thing that has always been a weird detail to me...
Remember how they revealed the second fighter pass ? Initially , only 5 slots were showned , before a sixth happened to crack.
My question is : 5 more fighters was clearly enough to blown away the expectations of everyone and create a lot of hype.

So why this sixth slot ?

My first thought is that they wanted to even it out with the OG DLCs , since Plant was DLC , even if a stand alone one and probably planned for base.
However it seem like... A weird patern-ish reason , and I don't like it.

I saw many people thinking Byleth wasn't supposed to be the last DLC , and that it has been swapped out or something. While I don't exactly agree with this , I wonder if they wanted to give us a bonus fighter or at least a surprise tease of it , before the next fighter pass.
And well , those bonus fighters (well , the one we got) were extremely surprising , and were here to shake things , provoke a reaction , because their announcement was so wild and needed full attention. Like , imagine if instead of Plant , they revealed Terry at the end of the November 2018 direct as a bonus , and Plant as a Fighter Pass character , it would have felt out of left field.

So my point is... Was this supposed to be Geno , but they lacked time to do it ?
He would provoke some massive reactions , while still being a "surprising" character in the context of this pass. While the reactions would be positive due to being a huge fan-favorite , he would have definitely sparked a ton of discussion about what's to come in that fighter pass , just like with Plant and nobody knowing what would come.
However , like Plant , he would come from an already represented franchise (Mario). And despise being an iconic ennemy , he was still clearly a side ennemy to the franchise. And , Geno , is a main character , but only in one game , and while not being iconic , is considered very important to the heart of many fans. He would be kind of the opposite to Plant , while sharing that surprise factor and sparking ton of discussion.

And well , on top of... Well , I still wonder , why Sakurai chosed Plant over any generic Mario ennemy ? He wanted a character that wasn't evil or good , but a koopa could have worked , since they were showned that as a specie , they could be both. (generic ennemies , allies in RPGs , bosses from their species in side-scrollers , ect...)

And well , everyone already made the link with this :
pirnaha plant classic.jpg

So I know it's kind of a long shot , but with all these little things adding up... Maybe they could finally tie in everything ?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Only the first of your posts on any given page will have your sig. This is to cut down on how often it's posted to make the site easier to browse. Especially as they can have larger images, including gifs in them(though I don't think embeds are typically allowed due to the sig size rule anyway??).
Ah gotcha. I knew something was up.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Very interesting. Maybe the character was supposed to release this month? Also, no this is not a joke tweet.
Interesting. See I had serious doubts about the coronavirus delaying the direct, but if Sakurai himself said the Smash reveal was delayed, now I'm thinking it actually could have delayed the direct too. But it's like, why doesn't Nintendo just say something to quell most of the "DIRECT PLZ" comments?

Edit: Pushdustin posted a handful of tweets on the matter, saying it might (KEYWORD: "Might") just be developmental work but they can still at least show off the character. Also because "Japanese do not have plurals", he could be talking about 1 or even all fighters, as it makes sense that delaying development on the next fighter would delay development on the rest, too.

If you'd like to see the tweets yourself:

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Interesting. See I had serious doubts about the coronavirus delaying the direct, but if Sakurai himself said the Smash reveal was delayed, now I'm thinking it actually could have delayed the direct too. But it's like, why doesn't Nintendo just say something to quell most of the "DIRECT PLZ" comments?
My best guess is that no official measures have been taken. They don't know themselves if the direct will be reported for later or not.
They also don't answers questions most of the time , so there's that.

Furthermore , they can't delay a direct that wasn't announced to the public. Remember , I think in 2015/16 , we had like , a 9 months drought without any direct (due to the context of the time) , so they have no precise schedule. Hence why they prefer to say nothing rather than make an announcement they're not sure of.

As to Sakurai , the Smash reveal was delayed due to not being able to work on the project , so they can't shown anything. When , for the Nintendo direct... It's pretty much announcements for games , not full on showcases of a DLC.

So yeah , to be honest , if we get a direct , i expect a lot of "fall 2020" , or "2021" release dates. They're probably not giving us precise date for stuff after like , May at most , since there's a big risk of delays due to the coronavirus , and more importantly... The fact that they just aren't allowed to work on that stuff , so it will take longer to release , even if it's only like , a month less of work , it can have a big impact.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I mean, I'm just hoping for the direct at this point, but it would make sense if it got delayed because even dates that were like, coming out in a week or a month could have been pushed back indefinitely to "who the **** knows cuz of this virus".

Also, I'm hoping the "delay" already happened and it's next week along with the supposed delayed direct, not that it's being delayed even further >_>;

Here is the video for Indie World coming up today.
Thanks, though I wish these would be up sooner, like the second they're announced because that'd be a lot easier to just wake up to and watch rather than waking up late and possibly being spoiled, haha. (not that I really care about the Indie World videos, but I mean gen directs and whatnot)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
For this possible smash delay, i think its saying only his go into detail of the smash fighter is delayed, not any reveals. Remember, they filmed bylthe in november, so i can see the work or reveal trailer for the first fighter is done, but they cant finish or talk about them in detail juat yet

Polarthief

Smash Lord
For this possible smash delay, i think its saying only his go into detail of the smash fighter is delayed, not any reveals. Remember, they filmed bylthe in november, so i can see the work or reveal trailer for the first fighter is done, but they cant finish or talk about them in detail juat yet
Hopefully that's the case, which I'm totally cool with. It's the reveal that does it more for me than the actual release, as funny as that sounds. :)
Show me Geno now and release him in 2021, idc. I'll be happy as can be at that reveal.

Dukefire

Smash Master
In honesty, I don't enjoy the extended waiting period. Though, the upcoming games release in March 20 should be able to suffice some people for the time being.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
You know, I'll actually take having fighter 6 delayed if we can at least be shown their reveal trailer relatively soon. Not knowing who it is at all is what's slowly driving me into madness, so even just a dumb little teaser would be a huge relief!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm in the boat that announcements probably won't be delayed but the releases will be and will probably be like Joker and Terry. What I mean by this is that we'll probably get the actual reveal trailers first but the first gameplay footage much later. That said, we can probably push back the actual characters releases by at least a month but probably still have them announced in their original planned timeframe.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Jesus guys, come on! The DLC MIGHT be getting delayed in production, but #6 is already done according to Sakurai himself and likely #7 is done as well at this point. At worst, this COULD (not will, COULD) delay #8-#11 at worst but you know how Sakurai and his team are ahead of the curve so it will likely affect development of less than that. Also if any of the characters are first party to Nintendo than nothing will stop their progress so there is that.

Also, in the digital age, the presentation can just be sent digitally and have them view it and respond back. Obviously they usually do it in person but desperate times call for desperate measures. They even said to look towards 2021 so it's not like we didn't expect possible big wait times anyway, and on top of all THAT they could potentially just switch character releases and have other ones come out sooner depending on whether or not it is only one character that is an issue right now.

Breathe. Calm down. Even if it's worst-case-scenario and all the DLC gets delayed, pretty sure Sakurai and his team's health is way more important than our stupid characters.

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
If I’m not mistaken, I thought Sakurai mentioned that fighter 6 was ready to go or at least near completion when Byleth was revealed during the last presentation. I don’t know if anyone can confirm that or not.

If true, I could see if there is a direct next week, fighter 6 could be shadow dropped the same day given the circumstances

Edit: Christ, ForsakenM beat me to it

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I'm in the boat that announcements probably won't be delayed but the releases will be and will probably be like Joker and Terry. What I mean by this is that we'll probably get the actual reveal trailers first but the first gameplay footage much later. That said, we can probably push back the actual characters releases by at least a month but probably still have them announced in their original planned timeframe.
This was my thought. Especially if they already have the announcement/trailer ready and prepared to show in said near-future direct. It would be far easier to say, "Hey guys, here's your heads up, but we're gonna have to delay the release cause things are kinda crazy right now."
Quite frankly, I fail to see a reason to delay announcing it, as the announcement will build up anticipation and excitement for when said fighter releases.

Course then again, I say all that, but Nintendo kinda does things their own way.

Firox

Smash Master
You know, I don't think it would be too bad to get the reveals separate from the gameplay footage. It would actually allow us to SPECULATE on something concrete instead of

A) Already knowing exactly what the character will be like
or
B) Having nothing to do but mull over endless rumors and baseless fan rules

Firox

Smash Master
So, what are you guys hoping to see in this Indie World stream?
GENO. Oh, you meant the Indie World stream?.....Yeah, still Geno. lol/jk But seriously, I can't think of any indies that I'd be super hyped for. Maybe the new Ori game? Did they announce yet whether that would be coming to Switch?

D

Deleted member

Jesus guys, come on! The DLC MIGHT be getting delayed in production, but #6 is already done according to Sakurai himself and likely #7 is done as well at this point. At worst, this COULD (not will, COULD) delay #8-#11 at worst but you know how Sakurai and his team are ahead of the curve so it will likely affect development of less than that. Also if any of the characters are first party to Nintendo than nothing will stop their progress so there is that.

Also, in the digital age, the presentation can just be sent digitally and have them view it and respond back. Obviously they usually do it in person but desperate times call for desperate measures. They even said to look towards 2021 so it's not like we didn't expect possible big wait times anyway, and on top of all THAT they could potentially just switch character releases and have other ones come out sooner depending on whether or not it is only one character that is an issue right now.

Breathe. Calm down. Even if it's worst-case-scenario and all the DLC gets delayed, pretty sure Sakurai and his team's health is way more important than our stupid characters.
Second time I've seen Sakurai confirming #6 is already done. I never saw it, mind providing a source?

Firox

Smash Master
Second time I've seen Sakurai confirming #6 is already done. I never saw it, mind providing a source?
While I agree that a source would be much appreciated, logically speaking, I sure as hell would hope that 6 is done by now considering that they were likely far into development by Q4 of last year.

Heoj

Smash Ace
I guess some Silksong, maybe Ori, and a new collaboration similar to cadence, maybe a new indie game that utilises one of nintendos ips.

edit: yeh this is a bit off topic, sooooooo i wanna see geno :ultpacman:

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A delay in actual gameplay footage isn't a super terrible thing given Brawl was a giant ****in' question mark for most of the cast until launch. God, remember those days, my fellow Smash Boomers?

"Holy crap! Diddy's in Brawl! I wonder how he plays?"

*proceeds to analyze and argue over the same handful of screenshots for 6 months*

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
While I agree that a source would be much appreciated, logically speaking, I sure as hell would hope that 6 is done by now considering that they were likely far into development by Q4 of last year.
I don't know there is a source or not, it seems to be more of a "logical" conclusion. Especially in light that the physical card for Fighter's Pass 2 is out next week ... it would be beyond baffling if the card DID NOT have number 6 on it. We know characters take 8 - 12 months from start to finish so at the time of November when Sakurai had the Byleth video presentation they were at probably at the Beta stage and polishing things off a bit. Or close to that.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
So I actually mentioned in the newcomers thread back in early February that everything was most likely delayed because of the virus spreading. We've got to keep in mind that this virus is disrupting the supply chain of almost every single industry, and video games are no different.
Also with more people being home, sure video games are a great way to keep yourselves entertained, but Id count on Network outages from too much stress especially considering the infrastructure Nintendo has in place.

Hopefully this famitsu column gives us some kind of insight as to what specifically caused the delay. Could be something as simple as delayed communication from a third party company they are working with, which may or may not bode well for Geno.

D

Deleted member

A delay in actual gameplay footage isn't a super terrible thing given Brawl was a giant ****in' question mark for most of the cast until launch. God, remember those days, my fellow Smash Boomers?

*proceeds to analyze and argue over the same handful of screenshots for 6 months*
Ah, the days when you wouldn't be burned at the stake for speculating about your favorite character... or for having a favorite character. The days when people were happy to ramble off a list of facts about why your favorite might be unlikely, but God bless either way.

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice

I member... (insert member berries meme)

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Literally anything new that we didn't already know existed would be nice. I have very little hope though.

I said I wasn't gonna watch it live yesterday, but I thought it was at 10AM but then realized that was PST. East Coast, Best Coast ;)

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Hopefully this famitsu column gives us some kind of insight as to what specifically caused the delay. Could be something as simple as delayed communication from a third party company they are working with, which may or may not bode well for Geno.
While I agree it's all the virus stuff is having a big effect on everything ... I don't think it would effect the character that have been chosen, as in not being in. Negotiations and liscensing aspect is done and signed. Obviously what could happen (and more than likely is happening) is delay of the character(s) being released due to development slow down.

True, you know never know what can happen ... I guess things could get dropped/fall through/trashed ... but that seems less likely than just development slow down.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Soooo... I have not posted in a while. Popped into the site occasionally, but didn't really catch up on this thread for well over a month(My laptop was not agreeing with this site and I was not pageing over 100 or so pages on a phone).

I am guessing I missed a lot.
Welcome back to the Geno thread EarlTamm I'm happy to see you back. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom