• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
At this point, unless we get an announcement I'm just gonna act like the direct was the friends we made upon the way.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
See, I don't see them doing a direct that week because it would take AWAY from Animal Crossing. They never do directs the same week as major releases.
This. Based on past patterns we're basically looking at this week or the week of the 23rd. Nintendo also tries to stay consistent with Direct days on particular years and its been established that 2020's will fall on Thursdays (except E3, obviously). So, this established, a Direct on the 19th, literally a day before Nude ***** Island (it's a joke, son, I say, a joke), would be Bad News Bears and basically a hype vacuum.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Damn man, this is on a level of length like my posts, and despite how much people may argue about the content in my posts mine definitely have more to offer than whatever trash this is.

And I thought people were starting to dislike me in this thread, thanks for taking off some heat for me man. What a lad!
I don't dislike you ForsakenM, I just don't agree with some of your opinions. Other than that, you're a pretty cool dude. ;)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I also do not see a direct happening before AC. Not because Im bias but because it wouldnt make any sense. That would be like going to your friends baby shower and then announcing that you are 3 months pregnant

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I also do not see a direct happening before AC. Not because Im bias but because it wouldnt make any sense. That would be like going to your friends baby shower and then announcing that you are 3 months pregnant
I'd argue against this because Animal Crossing is big enough to carry enough, especially in the light that PAX East had a AC LARP exhibit basically to flex how much people want the game. The day before would be brutal but a week before would give people plenty of time to calm down and think about the games coming soon.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Sorry but I heavily don't understand this mentality when a lot of directs have been aired one to two weeks before major releases.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...-has-been-rated-in-korea.170751/post-29706906

Maybe they aren't quite as big as Animal Crossing but some pretty big games have been released after a recent direct.
(Also hi I'm back from the dead).

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
This. Based on past patterns we're basically looking at this week or the week of the 23rd. Nintendo also tries to stay consistent with Direct days on particular years and its been established that 2020's will fall on Thursdays (except E3, obviously). So, this established, a Direct on the 19th, literally a day before Nude ***** Island (it's a joke, son, I say, a joke), would be Bad News Bears and basically a hype vacuum.
I almost have to applaud Nintendo with getting themselves in this situation. They have only having one 1st party major release this quarter, had many many opportunities to schedule a Direct and show their plans, and when they finally decide to have this Direct. they still somehow managed to find themselves with a scheduling conflict with the issue of AC and the Direct on the same week. This is like hitting the one parked car in a massive empty parking lot.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Realistically, cacomallow is on life support already since it's been so long. Do we really have to wait until DLC 8 to say it's not real? If it's not 6 it's either fake or it got moved to later, let alone 7 or 8. And the copyrights aren't really time sensitive since all 6 have already been decided.
I agree with you 100% about Geno being possible for any slot in FP2. It's very possible any evidence is based on the process they used to secure rights for a character and not actually based on when they started work on them anyway. All the DLC has already been chosen so they would have had to secure rights for all 6 characters and have probably started work on maybe 2 of them so far. That means any of the 6 could be in any position in FP2 really. We have no idea when they work on Mii costumes and how the timing of them being completed impacts reveals. I'd say Cacomallow is the only real time sensitive piece of "evidence" for Geno and we have no way to gauge whether it's in or out of the proper time frame since we have no idea what that would be. Regardless Geno's chances remain strong with or without Cacomallow so he could truly be any one of the DLC slots in FP2. I think all the talk of him early in the pass makes more sense because he'd show the kind of picks we might see in FP2 IF there are more promotions, but other characters could do this as well and there may not be many promotions anyway. So again it's kind of just wishful thinking that he'd be one of the first reveals and there's no reason to give up hope for later in the pass unless we get another SE rep or the costume appears.

D

Deleted member

Those two events have no correlation whatsoever. AC would sell regardless if there was or wasn’t a direct. The Direct is for Nintendo’s own benefit since they have no lineup of games that they themselves are developing.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'd argue against this because Animal Crossing is big enough to carry enough, especially in the light that PAX East had a AC LARP exhibit basically to flex how much people want the game. The day before would be brutal but a week before would give people plenty of time to calm down and think about the games coming soon.
Yeah, Im guessing it would be sometime after the game comes out. There is only 12 days left so we'll see. If one shows up before the 20th then ill eat crow

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
That, and we generally see general directs within the first two weeks of the month when they do happen. Very rarely do they go after that, but the pattern's usually been within 2 weeks of the month.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Been lurking from the shadows on my break. Hopefully this Direct comes this week, otherwise, E3 here we come!

Also, has anyone talked about a possible Mario Kart 9 happening? I have been hearing about that recently, but cannot seem to find a concrete text stating it.

EDIT: ForsakenM ForsakenM I apologize about my previous 'jab' at you. Not my best day, so I am sorry. Also, The Final Fantasy 7 Remake demo was AWESOME! I encourage anyone that has a PS4 to give it a try.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman

NateDrake has been "guiding" people throughout the months, like how he implied a direct in February wasn't likely to happen and it was going to be Animal Crossing.
But now he is saying "Early March" for a lot of reveals and saying how it "makes sense" for a direct.
So this is why I'm thinking the 12th. March 12th.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Why do people keep saying that Geno is most likely to be 6,7, or 8, and if we get to 9 his chances go down? I feel like there's no basis at all for this but everyone keeps saying it. He's just as likely for 9,10, and 11 as he is for 6,7, and 8. Just like literally every other character.
Personally, I think Geno's going to be in the first half of the pass because Smash announcements tend to be frontloaded. Nintendo likes to put the character who will get the biggest reactions in the first half, then put the more low-key faces in the second half to round out the roster.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
NateDrake does bring up a good point. Nintendo will probably want to make one more minor announcement for Blue Horse Eyes, Son before launch, likely some DLC like Ultra Instinct Isabelle or something. In all seriousness, Nintendo tends to do this before major releases and announces DLC early just to spur more interest.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I still think this doesn't quite hold up and it completely depends on the game. AC is very big and being pushed like crazy. It's gonna sell amazingly well. Anyone who knows and loves the series is most definitely buying it, plus it's gonna bring a ton of new people in. People have it pre-ordered, they're ready, they're gonna call in sick on Friday to play all through the weekend.

Now if you were to introduce other games just before the release, sure there would be plenty of speculation and talk about those new games, but I don't see why they would pull from a game that's going to be huge regardless. If they were to announce the next AC game in like 2024 right now, then yeah, that would definitely not be that good for NH. That's like the worst thing you could ever do (and something a crap-tier company like Blizzard did with WoW back in November, showing off the next expansion during this awful one with a patch coming just months away, lol). Showing off other games though, again, don't get the mentality that it pulls from AC unless those games are also releasing on the 20th/shortly after AC. Just don't release anything til April and you're fine.

I am still saying it's most likely going to be this week, but if it's not, I don't think they can wait til April to reveal DLC 6 or a direct because E3 would feel right around the corner. Would make the direct feel pointless. At this time, if they truly have nothing to show until post-June, then a Q1 direct seems like it actually won't happen (even though I feel like they should, at least, drop a reveal trailer for the holiday game this year), and we might just get another Sakurai video for DLC 6.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly with the next line of Amiibo said to be coming out in early April, I honestly wouldn't be surprise if they waited until than to announce who 76# is. If that happens, it's pretty much a fact by now they announce or release each new character on the same week the following Amiibo line comes out.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Honestly with the next line of Amiibo said to be coming out in early April, I honestly wouldn't be surprise if they waited until than to announce who 76# is. If that happens, it's pretty much a fact by now they announce or release each new character on the same week the following Amiibo line comes out.
The Dragon Quest heroes were announced in E3, which was June, and was later released toward the end of July. To me, they can announce FP6 a month or so beforehand, and then have Sakurai's presentation for the character in April.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The Dragon Quest heroes were announced in E3, which was June, and was later released toward the end of July. To me, they can announce FP6 a month or so beforehand, and then have Sakurai's presentation for the character in April.
I agree. But E3 is really the only time character reveals for the DLC don't line up with an Amiibo wave release. E3 is E3 you know.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I agree. But E3 is really the only time character reveals for the DLC don't line up with an Amiibo wave release. E3 is E3 you know.
Recall that Sakurai also mentioned FP5 and 6 were done roughly around the same time, so it shouldn't be too much longer before we hear something about it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
-Three pictures-

NateDrake has been "guiding" people throughout the months, like how he implied a direct in February wasn't likely to happen and it was going to be Animal Crossing.
But now he is saying "Early March" for a lot of reveals and saying how it "makes sense" for a direct.
I know he isn't the likes of Zippo and certain other insiders, but can we trust anyone, insider or not, about what they say about the next Direct and when it will be at least announced?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Note those are restocks though an new would should coincide with it.

link2702

Smash Champion
So I’m sure someone mentioned this before, hell might even have been me, but...

We all know based on the official character artwork as well as in game model what geno looks like, and things like project me, or smashified have done really good jobs at bringing that look up to modern standards.

What would folks reactions be however if geno got a drastic redesign, say similar to the fanart in my profile pic showing him as imagined as a kh design? Or, having a drastically bigger cape now, that he folds over his whole body (think batman from the animated series) ? Or a slightly taller slimmer form instead of the squished one we know due to snes limitations?

link2702

Smash Champion
Hopefully they're all right. I want the direct this week and all of Zippo's leaks x.x

Sakurai won't do us dirty.
New designs aren’t always a bad thing though. Look at pit, palutena and medusa.

He gave the kid icarus series a much needed facelift.

Not saying I don’t want genos original look, just curious what folks reactions would be if he had a kid icarus level of redesign.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
New designs aren’t always a bad thing though. Look at pit, palutena and medusa.

He gave the kid icarus series a much needed facelift.

Not saying I don’t want genos original look, just curious what folks reactions would be if he had a kid icarus level of redesign.
Oh sorry I wasn't saying a new design is necessarily bad, just that Sakurai won't make Geno look bad, new or old design.

Seriously, has Sakurai done bad with *any* character visually so far? He knows how important it is to not mess with character designs.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

I don’t know how accurate this guy has been in the past, but I’m just glad we have something

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Today is the anniversary of Super Mario RPG's release. I would advise everyone go at least take some time on social media and post about how great this game is as well as how much they miss characters like Geno and Mallow.

The next few days are open opportunities to share how much we miss these characters whether you want a remake of the game or Geno in Smash Bros.

Let's get to it!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Today is the anniversary of Super Mario RPG's release.
(actually tomorrow in the West; us filthy plebs still live in the past of the 8th)

The next few days are open opportunities to share how much we miss these characters whether you want a remake of the game or Geno in Smash Bros.
Unless we get an FP3/post-FP2 DLC, they won't be taking this into account for DLC inclusions. But getting a remake? Who knows! At the very least, putting the game on NSO would be nice.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
For any event that happens in Japan, I assume you go based on Japan's time. The Japanese release doesn't materialize for us at midnight on our March 9th. lol
No I know, you right and I agree.

Also just in case someone hasn't seen this in the last 4 years, just a tribute video someone put together back in 2016, the 20th anniversary:
(willing to bet this has been posted at some point but give it another watch sometime. It deserves so many more views than it has)

Edit: IT'S ON THE OP GOSH DANGIT. I NEVER LOOK AT THE OP! DX

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Just a reminder y'all, daylight savings time just started, so all directs should be being announced at 10 AM instead of 9 AM. So don't lose hope anymore when nothing happens at 9 and instead lose hope when noting happens at 10!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Just a reminder y'all, daylight savings time just started, so all directs should be being announced at 10 AM instead of 9 AM. So don't lose hope anymore when nothing happens at 9 and instead lose hope when noting happens at 10!
Don't lose hope regardless because the AC direct was announced way after those times; Nintendo is just all over the god damn place nowadays.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm thinking it'll be a direct a little after AC releases. I agree with the idea that they'll capitalize off of it first and then go into new territory.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm thinking it'll be a direct a little after AC releases. I agree with the idea that they'll capitalize off of it first and then go into new territory.
They never do Normal Directs in the 2nd half of the month. So unless they plan on waiting until April, 2 months from E3, to reveal anything, it's this probably this week.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They never do Normal Directs in the 2nd half of the month. So unless they plan on waiting until April, 2 months from E3, to reveal anything, it's this probably this week.
I could see it happen in April then. I don't have any good reason to believe it'll be before AC releases. And it can happen the second half of the month, it's just unlikely. We should know by now that precedent isn't a hard rule.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
They never do Normal Directs in the 2nd half of the month.
They've also never made an Assist Trophy or Spirit a playable character in the same Smash game, yet here we are arguing in favor of it.
They've also never gone this long without a direct, let alone keeping us completely in the dark about the ENTIRE LINEUP OF THE YEAR and we're already over 2 months in.

Anything can change whenever they want it to. Never say never for one thing if you're going to argue against it for something else. It's the same logic behind both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom