• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This thread was made in March, Mario RPG was made in March, and I was born in March.

March truly is the best month

Polarthief

Smash Lord
This thread was made in March, Mario RPG was made in March, and I was born in March.

March truly is the best month
I was a month late to be part of the best month. That said, I'm hoping this is the best month of the year for Nintendo content. So far, it definitely is with AC, but only because it's the only month participating (until we learn more)...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just a reminder y'all, daylight savings time just started, so all directs should be being announced at 10 AM instead of 9 AM. So don't lose hope anymore when nothing happens at 9 and instead lose hope when noting happens at 10!
What time is it announced Mountain US Time?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So, something was brought up kind of interesting in the Newcomer thread. Hero is the ONLY DLC fighter that has a link to their game.
View attachment 265137
Joker does not have it, neither does Byleth for Three Houses. Not sure why I wanted to share this, but thought it would be a nice topic starter.
If Geno gets in, would SMRPG be shown as well? Is this Square really pushing the game on the US?

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I do agree that Mario's RPG games get surprisingly little content in other Mario games, though. (you'd think that we would have gotten Fawful, Cackletta, or any of the Paper Mario characters in Mario Kart by now)
I've always wondered why Nintendo never wants to put spinoff characters in Kart instead of continuing to make up lame characters like Pink Gold Peach
Probably because Fawful, Cackletta, Midbus, and the other Mario & Luigi RPG characters might actually be made and legally owned by AlphaDream; they just made and put them in the Mario games since they were given the Mario property by Nintendo to make the Mario & Luigi RPG games, so that's probably why we don't see them too often in games... Nintendo doesn't want to go through the process of getting Mario characters owned by another company I guess. Cackletta got lucky and ended up as sticker in Brawl, and Fawful got lucky and ended up as a spirit. I'm leaning on those characters being owned by AlphaDream, despite being Mario characters; we all know this, Geno and Mallow are Mario characters owned by Square, so it could be the same situation with the M&L RPG characters, except AlphaDream isn't as stingy as Square is.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
-2 from EST. Learn time zones! :p
Oh, I know time zones. Still, the guy I was quoting did not seem to say anything about the EST time zone, so I had to make sure what was being said. I guess I should have asked if he meant the EST Time zone.

So he means 10 AM Eastern Time, then?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I could see it happen in April then. I don't have any good reason to believe it'll be before AC releases. And it can happen the second half of the month, it's just unlikely. We should know by now that precedent isn't a hard rule.
Ahem...

Animal Crossing is big, but not THAT big. Smash, Mario, LoZ, Kirby...all of these are much bigger. In fact, at this point, even Fire Emblem is bigger.

That being said, this is the biggest and best AC yet, right? Even so, thinking a Direct coming before it's release isn't happening is illogical.

Why you ask?

Welp, let me ask YOU a question: what is there after AC? We have no ****ing clue what is after AC! So, would you actually wait until April to announce a potential April or May release? No, you would announce it with enough time for people to prepare their budgets around your releases if at all possible.

AC has already had it's big Direct and the only thing it needs now is a very small 'Don't forget your Island Getaway Package from Nook Inc when AC NH drops next week!' in a large General Direct. It's already gotten the most pre-orders it's likely to get and people who want it have already scheduled their budgets around it. Thus, very few people will make any changes to that regardless of any announcements made this week.

So, what makes more sense, I ask you: Having nothing revealed until just weeks before it's release because you may lose a couple pre-orders for AC? Or revealing a bunch of things that will be available at soonest in April and giving the line up well into June/July so that people can prepare their wallets for the Nintendo lovin that hurts so good at the cost of MAYBE a few pre-orders but likely not?

You guys keep approaching things with this weird-ass mindset that anything announced in a Direct could compete with AC which is literally out VERY soon when most of the announcements will be for May or later. Even IF the next Smash character is revealed there, Vol 2 is something you can buy at anytime with the option to buy them separately for a lower cost AND most people are waiting for more than one reveal before committing. Also, to act like a Nintendo fan that paid for a $300 system and pays monthly for online can't afford more than one game, especially when at BEST the earliest a title coudl be is in April and if it is it is unlikely to be a big reveal and thus not be another $60 title...I mean, come on guys, give yourselves some financial credit!

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
It’s either this week or after AC release week ... if I had to guess. I don’t recall a direct that was the same week of a release. Correct me if I’m wrong at that, I just don’t recall.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Ahem...

Animal Crossing is big, but not THAT big. Smash, Mario, LoZ, Kirby...all of these are much bigger. In fact, at this point, even Fire Emblem is bigger.

That being said, this is the biggest and best AC yet, right? Even so, thinking a Direct coming before it's release isn't happening is illogical.

Why you ask?

Welp, let me ask YOU a question: what is there after AC? We have no ****ing clue what is after AC! So, would you actually wait until April to announce a potential April or May release? No, you would announce it with enough time for people to prepare their budgets around your releases if at all possible.

AC has already had it's big Direct and the only thing it needs now is a very small 'Don't forget your Island Getaway Package from Nook Inc when AC NH drops next week!' in a large General Direct. It's already gotten the most pre-orders it's likely to get and people who want it have already scheduled their budgets around it. Thus, very few people will make any changes to that regardless of any announcements made this week.

So, what makes more sense, I ask you: Having nothing revealed until just weeks before it's release because you may lose a couple pre-orders for AC? Or revealing a bunch of things that will be available at soonest in April and giving the line up well into June/July so that people can prepare their wallets for the Nintendo lovin that hurts so good at the cost of MAYBE a few pre-orders but likely not?

You guys keep approaching things with this weird-ass mindset that anything announced in a Direct could compete with AC which is literally out VERY soon when most of the announcements will be for May or later. Even IF the next Smash character is revealed there, Vol 2 is something you can buy at anytime with the option to buy them separately for a lower cost AND most people are waiting for more than one reveal before committing. Also, to act like a Nintendo fan that paid for a $300 system and pays monthly for online can't afford more than one game, especially when at BEST the earliest a title coudl be is in April and if it is it is unlikely to be a big reveal and thus not be another $60 title...I mean, come on guys, give yourselves some financial credit!

Ok I actually agree with your post except for
  • Animal Crossing is big, but not THAT big. Smash, Mario, LoZ, Kirby...all of these are much bigger. In fact, at this point, even Fire Emblem is bigger.
New Leaf is literally the best selling game on the 3DS that isn't Pokemon or Mario. 11 MILLION copies. Animal Crossing is big enough that Nintendo thought it was a good idea to give it a giant amiibo line, and an entire line of amiibo cards. Happy Home Designer, a spinoff about doing nothing but well, designing houses, sold almost 3.5 MILLION. It IS that big of a franchise. Fire Emblem sure as hell isn't bigger (and it only might be only because of a Gacha mobile game).

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
It’s either this week or after AC release week ... if I had to guess. I don’t recall a direct that was the same week of a release. Correct me if I’m wrong at that, I just don’t recall.
There was one actually-it was on March 3rd 2016, a day before Twilight Princess HD came out on Wii U.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Oh, I know time zones. Still, the guy I was quoting did not seem to say anything about the EST time zone, so I had to make sure what was being said. I guess I should have asked if he meant the EST Time zone.

So he means 10 AM Eastern Time, then?
No I know, you right. I'm just messing. Yes, usually 10 EST (now 11 EDT I guess? **** DST, I wish it would just lock the hell in permanently!).

Ok I actually agree with your post except for
  • Animal Crossing is big, but not THAT big. Smash, Mario, LoZ, Kirby...all of these are much bigger. In fact, at this point, even Fire Emblem is bigger.
New Leaf is literally the best selling game on the 3DS that isn't Pokemon or Mario. 11 MILLION copies. Animal Crossing is big enough that Nintendo thought it was a good idea to give it a giant amiibo line, and an entire line of amiibo cards. Happy Home Designer, a spinoff about doing nothing but well, designing houses, sold almost 3.5 MILLION. It IS that big of a franchise. Fire Emblem sure as hell isn't bigger (and it only might be only because of a Gacha mobile game).
It's crazy to think AC is bigger, yet we only get 1 game, if that, per console (Wii U was skipped; no handhelds skipped since it started on the DS), and a pathetic 2 characters in Smash while FE, a much, MUCH smaller franchise, has 8, and multiple games per handheld, sometimes console too.

I legit will not be upset if Tom Nook shows up at some point, ready to smash*, since he was usurped by the now-whisky-drinking dog.
*Take that out of context however you like.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No I know, you right. I'm just messing. Yes, usually 10 EST (now 11 EDT I guess? **** DST, I wish it would just lock the hell in permanently!).

It's crazy to think AC is bigger, yet we only get 1 game, if that, per console, and a pathetic 2 characters in Smash while FE has 8.

I legit will not be upset if Tom Nook shows up at some point, ready to smash*, since he was usurped by the dog.
*Gives him a "you little rascal"* Very funny, wise guy! So that means it could be 8 (or 9) my time in the US Mountain Time Zone.

Question, though, why do we have Daylight Savings Time to begin with, anyway?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Happy 24th birthday SMRPG! :seuss:

For those of you that are worry that they will save Geno until the 25th anniversary remember this: Banjo-Kazooie's 20th anniversary was in June of 2018 yet Banjo & Kazooie didn't get in until their 21st anniversary in June of 2019. Anniversary for a character's franchise or debuting game has nothing to do with their inclusion in Smash whatsoever. If Geno is in, we will see him sooner whether than later.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So that means it could be 8 (or 9) my time in the US Mountain Time Zone.
Who even knows anymore, TBH.

Question, though, why do we have Daylight Savings Time to begin with, anyway?
WHO EVEN KNOWS ANYMORE, TBH. What's worse is I live in freaking Florida where we do not need the sun out earlier, so we should just always be in DST, similarly to (most of) Arizona and some other places like Hawaii. The biggest counterargument is that it's too dark for kids regarding school busses, but it's like, is that *potential* problem for the kids that bad compared to the massive loss in productivity/efficiency for about a week, and is even among the highest rate of suicides/deaths in general? Seriously, is all that headache twice a year worth it?

... sorry for getting a bit dark, but it's true. **** switching the clocks, it's dumb.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Who even knows anymore, TBH.

WHO EVEN KNOWS ANYMORE, TBH. What's worse is I live in freaking Florida where we do not need the sun out earlier, so we should just always be in DST, similarly to (most of) Arizona and some other places like Hawaii. The biggest counterargument is that it's too dark for kids regarding school busses, but it's like, is that *potential* problem for the kids that bad compared to the massive loss in productivity/efficiency for about a week, and is even among the highest rate of suicides/deaths in general? Seriously, is all that headache twice a year worth it?

... sorry for getting a bit dark, but it's true. **** switching the clocks, it's dumb.
I get what you mean. I am not bothered by Daylight Savings Time myself, but I always wondered why we have this, still. I always thought Daylight Savings Time was a man made thing rather than something that occurs as a natural phenomena, if you know what I mean, which, of course, means something tells me that I don't think it is necessary, myself.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I always thought Daylight Savings Time was a man made thing rather than something that occurs as a natural phenomena
It... it is. It's not natural at all. It was something or other for farmers or something? idfk. Here's a CGP Grey video on the matter if you're that curious.
TL;DW: It's basically pointless nowadays, but used to be decently important in the pre-Internet (and earlier) age.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It... it is. It's not natural at all. It was something or other for farmers or something? idfk. Here's a CGP Grey video on the matter if you're that curious.
TL;DW: It's basically pointless nowadays, but used to be decently important in the pre-Internet (and earlier) age.
Man, I am watching it, and it really does seem unnecessary. Why would we need to enjoy more sunshine, anyway? Why do we need this to conserve energy as well?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Why would we need to enjoy more sunshine, anyway?
Honestly we should just always be in DST so it gets dark later instead of earlier.

Why do we need this to conserve energy as well?
It used to matter for sure, but doesn't at all anymore in today's day and age where people will go out or not regardless of the seasons and more based on who they are. As mentioned earlier, I live in Florida currently, but I'm an absolute shut in. Even on a perfectly nice and sunny day, here I am sitting in my fairly dark room on the Internet instead of going out for a walk or doing other outdoor activities, and DST surely won't change that.

I really don't get it but man we're so OT now, so to connect this back to Geno, remember that Geno Flash exists and he becomes the GOD DAMN SUN, SO BOOM, THERE'S OUR ON-TOPIC LINK!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Honestly we should just always be in DST so it gets dark later instead of earlier.

It used to matter for sure, but doesn't at all anymore in today's day and age where people will go out or not regardless of the seasons and more based on who they are. As mentioned earlier, I live in Florida currently, but I'm an absolute shut in. Even on a perfectly nice and sunny day, here I am sitting in my fairly dark room on the Internet instead of going out for a walk or doing other outdoor activities, and DST surely won't change that.

I really don't get it but man we're so OT now, so to connect this back to Geno, remember that Geno Flash exists and he becomes the GOD DAMN SUN, SO BOOM, THERE'S OUR ON-TOPIC LINK!
Yeah, I know what you mean. Plus, if he wanted to, if he somehow could, Geno could make the stars in the sky be alternate suns with some kind of star power which light up the sky, which may be unnecessary, but the sun itself is a star. Maybe a bit too much starlight would happen, but maybe it would help take away the need for DST? I am not sure if I have this down right, even.

But still, if he wanted to, Geno could do something about the Daylight Savings Time thing, if he were real.

Audioplasma

Smash Cadet
Well, happy 24th anniversary smrpg!! :)

my birthday is actually on the 9th so any new info on geno for a direct of some kind would be the best gift ever.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Nearly a quarter of a century since the game originally released. It makes you stop and think

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think it's because it's considered a video, and that might mess things up. It might help to just embed the Tweet - if you want to do that, you go to the "..." next to the emoticon button, go down to Media, and paste the URL for the Tweet in the textbox. It should come out like this.

OffBi

Smash Ace

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You're welcome, though make sure to keep in mind that having less than ten characters in a post qualifies as spam. (it's probably best to just Like a post to say thanks)

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Hey all! Super excited for Mar10, as we have big plans for Operation Starfall to celebrate! It's also the 24th anniversary of SMRPG's Japanese release, which is always a good day for me.

This drought has been especially unbearable, considering the limbo we're in speculation-wise. I've been anxiously waiting for some kind of announcement, and hopefully we get what we've been wishing for soon enough. This next Fighters Pass is sure to please if the talk around it is as big as they say.

Since Animal Crossing is on the mind, and given that the new ability to play god tear down and create new land gives you so much more creative leniency, I've been thinking about the potential for islands that resemble the towns of SMRPG! I think it would be really neat to see someone attempt to recreate Rose Town to the best of their abilities, or even section off a piece of land for Yo'ster Isle!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Since Animal Crossing is on the mind, and given that the new ability to play god tear down and create new land gives you so much more creative leniency, I've been thinking about the potential for islands that resemble the towns of SMRPG! I think it would be really neat to see someone attempt to recreate Rose Town to the best of their abilities, or even section off a piece of land for Yo'ster Isle!
Oh **** yeah, I wasn't even thinking about this TBH, but now I toooooootally want to. Sadly I'm not artistic or patient enough to try it, but sounds like a crazy fun idea.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

It's crazy to think AC is bigger, yet we only get 1 game, if that, per console (Wii U was skipped; no handhelds skipped since it started on the DS), and a pathetic 2 characters in Smash while FE, a much, MUCH smaller franchise, has 8, and multiple games per handheld, sometimes console too.

I legit will not be upset if Tom Nook shows up at some point, ready to smash*, since he was usurped by the now-whisky-drinking dog.
I'm not sure I'd really want any more AC characters in Smash really. Of course I'm not really an AC fan anyway. But yeah FE doesn't really have much to pull from in terms of really inspiring movesets. I wish they'd bring back some of the more interesting units like Laguz and Summoner class as those would actually be interesting in Smash, but there's still not much to draw from as it's just different weapons/spells, critical hits, durability, and passive skills that can't really be implemented properly into Smash. And no one wants more FE in Smash even if they did have a character who'd actually be interesting.

Also happy anniversary SMRPG!

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Probably because Fawful, Cackletta, Midbus, and the other Mario & Luigi RPG characters might actually be made and legally owned by AlphaDream; they just made and put them in the Mario games since they were given the Mario property by Nintendo to make the Mario & Luigi RPG games, so that's probably why we don't see them too often in games... Nintendo doesn't want to go through the process of getting Mario characters owned by another company I guess. Cackletta got lucky and ended up as sticker in Brawl, and Fawful got lucky and ended up as a spirit. I'm leaning on those characters being owned by AlphaDream, despite being Mario characters; we all know this, Geno and Mallow are Mario characters owned by Square, so it could be the same situation with the M&L RPG characters, except AlphaDream isn't as stingy as Square is.
So what you are saying is that we could probably see more of Fawful and Cackletta now concidering AlphaDream is bankrupt and its said that Nintendo required all the rights to the RPG series because of that

TriggerX

Smash Ace
So what you are saying is that we could probably see more of Fawful and Cackletta now concidering AlphaDream is bankrupt and its said that Nintendo required all the rights to the RPG series because of that
Personally I doubt they’d use them either way. Nintendo seems to have a tendency to just keep moving forward, and not reuse characters unless they are staples to the series or have become immensely popular.
I doubt we’ll ever see those characters ever return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom