• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...you know Geno's cameo in Superstar Saga made me wonder if the toy for Geno was the original one or there's more than one of them

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hmm...you know Geno's cameo in Superstar Saga made me wonder if the toy for Geno was the original one or there's more than one of them
Considering it's just a toy in Super Mario RPG, it's probably a bunch of toys that could be bought. Doesn't the ending of SMRPG show another toy too? Or am I remembering wrong?

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Pretty sure the Switch hasn't been around that long
Please provide evidence, sources, 3 published papers, 2 blood sacrifices, and one flawlessly tied bow-tie with 2D Mario as a design on it to prove that this statement is indeed factual.

If you can do all that, then...Geno confirmed? I forget where this was going, but that's the end goal so I'm just gonna stick with the tried and true wanted result.

Also, I do think they showed more than one Geno doll at one point? Maybe I'm misremembering though.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Wait, so this maintenance thing; do Directs happen before or during the week that these maintenance events happen?

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
For me, I say it can happen either way. They do what feels right when ready.
I do think they've done Maintenance in the past without a Direct being related, but they've also had maintenance and updates perfectly lined up with directs too so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do correct me if I'm wrong though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I do think they've done Maintenance in the past without a Direct being related, but they've also had maintenance and updates perfectly lined up with directs too so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, some line up with directs, some don't. There's no clear pattern that I can tell. So who knows, really.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, some line up with directs, some don't. There's no clear pattern that I can tell. So who knows, really.
Wait, if I am not mistaken, wasn't there a maintenance event either earlier this month or last month (I think it was last month) that did not come with a Direct back then?

link2702

Smash Champion
One of the things that will be interesting when geno is revealed is seeing how many folks didn’t pronounce his name right over the years.

I was like this too for years. Since I had never seen that name before, when I first played smrpg as a kid, what i thought it was pronounced as was similar to the word “geese” only without the -se sound at the end and instead a -no.

(also had a similar problem with ryu from sf, thought it was pronounced similar to how rye is, just obviously with a u, imagine my surprise when I first heard it correctly...)

I do wonder how many folks had issues mispronouncing certain fictional characters names over the years. In books and old games that didn’t have voice acting, I suspect there’s a LOT of characters with mispronounced names. And many people who have end up a bit dumbfounded when they learn they were saying it wrong all these years.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
One of the things that will be interesting when geno is revealed is seeing how many folks didn’t pronounce his name right over the years.

I was like this too for years. Since I had never seen that name before, when I first played smrpg as a kid, what i thought it was pronounced as was similar to the word “geese” only without the -se sound at the end and instead a -no.

(also had a similar problem with ryu from sf, thought it was pronounced similar to how rye is, just obviously with a u, imagine my surprise when I first heard it correctly...)

I do wonder how many folks had issues mispronouncing certain fictional characters names over the years. In books and old games that didn’t have voice acting, I suspect there’s a LOT of characters with mispronounced names. And many people who have end up a bit dumbfounded when they learn they were saying it wrong all these years.
Tell me about it. I pronounced it as Gen-O instead of Gee-no when I first knew of him, and this is when I was still a kid.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog

wait..........okay I've loved Geno since I first played SMRPG back in 1996, but.....is it not pronounced "GEE-NOE"? Is it "JIHN-NOE"?

EDIT: wait wait, nevermind, misunderstood your naming for a misread. we're all good, carry on.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Looking at the history of Mario Day, I noticed Nintendo officially partnered with this non-profit organization last year:

https://www.starlight.org/gaming/

I keep saying that I want to do something special leading up to E3; would you all be interested in a formal campaign to support this on behalf of the Geno fanbase? It's an organization that helps with the comfort and care of children in long-term hospital care and it's literally based on stars and wishes. Honestly, how perfect would that be for the Geno fanbase to pool together for a cause like this? We have a collective energy that few other Smash fanbases have so why not do something with it? Why not grant some wishes for some kids who need it most?
I love this idea. If operation starfall wants to get a thing going. I'm down to participate!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Who is this "Geeno" character you all keep taking about? I thought his name was "Heartsong!?"...

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

If you don't mind me asking, does that mean it shouldn't matter in terms of expecting a Direct announcement and Direct the week before or during the week of the maintenance event?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Not saying I think Fighter #6 will for sure be in this upcoming direct but what if the reason it's being delayed for this long is because Fighter #6 will be in it and they wanted to give Byleth a month or two to shine before announcing them.

Food for thought.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
If you don't mind me asking, does that mean it shouldn't matter in terms of expecting a Direct announcement and Direct the week before or during the week of the maintenance event?
More that it's not necessarily consistent. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there is a direct soon and they're gonna talk about it before they implement things during said update, especially with how long it's been since the last one. But same time, I wouldn't be too surprised (though I would be a little disappointed) if it was maintenance that was detailed only as "quality of life improvements."
Arlo (if you haven't watched his channel on youtube, I can't recommend it enough) has a good way of putting it - Nintendo does the most unexpected things. Just when you expected Nintendo to do X, they do Y! But then when you sit back and think they're never gonna do Z, because that's so farfetched it's amazing or way too predictable, then that's when they do Z because you were expecting not to expect it!
Makes me smile cause it's true - they're good at coming out of left field.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
More that it's not necessarily consistent. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there is a direct soon and they're gonna talk about it before they implement things during said update, especially with how long it's been since the last one. But same time, I wouldn't be too surprised (though I would be a little disappointed) if it was maintenance that was detailed only as "quality of life improvements."
Arlo (if you haven't watched his channel on youtube, I can't recommend it enough) has a good way of putting it - Nintendo does the most unexpected things. Just when you expected Nintendo to do X, they do Y! But then when you sit back and think they're never gonna do Z, because that's so farfetched it's amazing or way too predictable, then that's when they do Z because you were expecting not to expect it!
Makes me smile cause it's true - they're good at coming out of left field.
Okay, just checking there. I do hope it is next week.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Personally I think Sam Fisher has a better shot of making it in before Geno.. (Geno is already a spirit.)
I know that this isn't that much a hateful post, at least it seems that way, but maybe this isn't the place to say that, since this is a topic for supporting Geno. Just saying.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Personally I think Sam Fisher has a better shot of making it in before Geno.. (Geno is already a spirit.)
Seeing as you're new here, I should mention that, as a general rule, going into a character support thread to bash the character or say that they won't be in (especially when doing so to blatantly prop up another, completely unrelated character) is seen as poor etiquette at the absolute best.

It generally helps to treat others the way that you would want to be treated. You wouldn't want someone to go into a support thread for a character that you want and say that they won't be in the game, I assume, so don't do that in other support threads.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Sorry but when I have to say "literally who?" to a non-Japanese character, I personally don't think they have a chance in hell.
(I actually did correctly guess he's from Splinter Cell, only because of your icon)

MarioTime

Smash Apprentice

I pronounced his name as YE-no
Like ur about to say "yes" without the "s"

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, for those that played Mario RPG, and chased Geno through the Forest Maze, did anyone get hit by the arrows falling that Bowyer was firing?

As I recall, I did. Wasn't easy getting hit, but when I got hit, Mario did that pose where he was surprised or saying "Ack!", but then shook it off.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I pronounced his name as YE-no
Like ur about to say "yes" without the "s"
Idk what I'm more surprised about, you pronouncing a G as a Y or that it's 2020 and you could have used "Yeet" as a better example.

So, for those that played Mario RPG, and chased Geno through the Forest Maze, did anyone get hit by the arrows falling that Bowyer was firing?

As I recall, I did. Wasn't easy getting hit, but when I got hit, Mario did that pose where he was surprised or saying "Ack!", but then shook it off.
In the maze/in town? Almost never.
In the "Gate" area (pre-Factory) on that one screen where they snipe you every time? LIKE EVERY TIME I PLAY THE DAMN GAME!

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Remember sakurai said that a character he wanted wasn't given priority for FP5. As we all know he's wanted Geno for a while now. Perhaps this March 9th thing may be our boy after all. Hopefully.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Remember sakurai said that a character he wanted wasn't given priority for FP5. As we all know he's wanted Geno for a while now. Perhaps this March 9th thing may be our boy after all. Hopefully.
Imagine us not getting the Feb direct so now we're foregoing the first week of March because the second week (9th or 10th) would be cooler to see just because of the nod to SMRPG's JP release/Mar10 day.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Currently reaching out to various people in my own network about the Operation: Starlight project and some people have recommended Sky Williams and TerminalMontage TerminalMontage to talk to. Does anyone here have direct contact with either of them (I'm only acquaintances with Terminal Montage)? Already reached out to Papagenos and the main people behind Operation: Starfall so I'm trying to get the ball rolling on things.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When did he say that?

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Currently reaching out to various people in my own network about the Operation: Starlight project and some people have recommended Sky Williams and TerminalMontage TerminalMontage to talk to. Does anyone here have direct contact with either of them (I'm only acquaintances with Terminal Montage)? Already reached out to Papagenos and the main people behind Operation: Starfall so I'm trying to get the ball rolling on things.
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice : the Ironman of the Geno Community....Ironman like the long athletic treacherous gauntlet....not the pompous Robert Downey Jr...

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Lmaooooo don't do me like that. Also my friend pronounces his name as HE-no so I'm not the only one XD
Pronouncing G as an H (or "J" in some languages) is understandable, but I've never heard a G as a Y before.
...not that I'm judging or anything! I could remind everyone that I used to see Geno's ribbons as his eyes/nose and his actual eye as teeth... I kid you not, I absolutely used to see this as a kid:
Untitled.png

(If someone who is an actual artist wants to give this a try, feel free. I can't draw for crap)

But like, he actually looks cool, like he was grinning, instead of a nerd like how I drew him; the eye-ribbons kinda looked like shades of some sort. Idk wtf I saw; reminds me of the LTTP thing where everyone saw Agahnim as some silly lookin' dude with green hair (which I also saw sometimes).

Last edited:

MarioTime

Smash Apprentice
Pronouncing G as an H (or "J" in some languages) is understandable, but I've never heard a G as a Y before.
...not that I'm judging or anything! I could remind everyone that I used to see Geno's ribbons as his eyes/nose and his actual eye as teeth... I kid you not, I absolutely used to see this as a kid:
View attachment 264019

(If someone who is an actual artist wants to give this a try, feel free. I can't draw for crap)

But like, he actually looks cool, like he was grinning, instead of a nerd like how I drew him; the eye-ribbons kinda looked like shades of some sort. Idk wtf I saw; reminds me of the LTTP thing where everyone saw Agahnim as some silly lookin' dude with green hair (which I also saw sometimes).
Loooool so u thought Geno looked like some weird clown or something XDD Imagine if that was his actual design tho lmfao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom