• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
The first time I learned about Geno was.........30 minutes ago in this thread. Until then, I thought this thread was about a pizza. I always found the idea of people wanting playable pizza in Smash a bit odd, but then again, it IS pizza, and you don't say no to pizza.
Wait.....so I've been eating GENO all these years???!!! Lil Caesars lied to me!

MattX20

Smash Hero
A thought we should take into account: if we do get a general direct in March, then there's a good chance we'll also get a September direct after E3. That would be at least 3 months between each direct

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
If Nintendo's plan was to have or announce a General Direct on Mario Day 2020 (Mar10) this entire time, I might just go ahead and livestream myself eating a live squirrel...
And then their Direct includes nothing related to Mario, just to confuse more people.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
We're Smash fans; we"re contractually obligated to do this.
Can confirm.
source: am me.

If Nintendo's plan was to have or announce a General Direct on Mario Day 2020 (Mar10) this entire time, I might just go ahead and livestream myself eating a live squirrel...
Damnit man, DON'T MAKE US HAVE TO CHOOSE WHICH STREAM WE WATCH!

But Mario Day would be quite a fitting day for a direct.
I mean, granted, any day would be a great day for a direct now, considering we're in THE GREAT DIRECT DRY SPELL.

I hope Nintendo looks at 2020 in hindsight (I'll see myself out) and decides to schedule directs with less sadistic blue-balling CAUSE THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING TO US more consistent releases. Fat chance though, though.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Apparently Nintendo has recently scheduled their next major Maintenance cycle so people are now flopping about hoping this potentially implies a Direct that week:

https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp
OH BOY OH BOY!
NintendoConstipation.png

ON THE 9th TOO? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...

Seriously, because I've had to wait this long, I really really want to see a 3/9 reveal for Geno nooooow...
I swear, if there really is a Direct on or around the 9th that reveals Geno as the next DLC fighter, making my outlandish meme prediction into reality , I'm gonna flip.

Don't do that! Eat a dead squirrel, they're easier to catch.

You guys are getting paid?
Aren't you?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Apparently Nintendo has recently scheduled their next major Maintenance cycle so people are now flopping about hoping this potentially implies a Direct that week:

https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp
Have we ever gotten concrete evidence that the Network updates equates to news?

I seem to remember this happening before and there were times when it did line up, but I am not 100% certain. Also, Nintendo Direct on Mar10 Day would be incredible!

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
Is there any precedence for Nintendo airing directs on Monday? Just imagine Geno being revealed on his 24th birthday. It would be glorious. If Nintendo announces a direct on the 9th, I’m going to flip out.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Honestly, with the supposed "Paper Mario" rumor going around, what if the Direct is around Mar10 Day? Imagine a scenario that announces the New Paper Mario game and Geno in Smash in one Direct. That would be a way to celebrate Mario on his BIG day.

Heoj

Smash Ace
If a direct gets announced for march 10th then that would pretty much confirm geno since tuesday directs arent really a thing at all and how it lines up so well with smrpg's jp release.

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
0341206E-456C-4198-B223-D2DDCED24CC3.png

Dear Geno thread, in light of this potentially great news I bring you all something I made today.

Okay back to catching up. OooOOOOoooh, I’m lurking agaaaaiiin

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Wow a direct on Mario Day huh? I can't wait for them to reveal Verdant Crystaline Dry Dr Piranha Plant as the next fighter!

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
This could be the unique situation where a direct happens on a monday because of the Mar10 day. Interesting.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Have we ever gotten concrete evidence that the Network updates equates to news?

I seem to remember this happening before and there were times when it did line up, but I am not 100% certain. Also, Nintendo Direct on Mar10 Day would be incredible!
Nintendo does usually do routine maintenance around Directs so it's not an absolute surefire thing but there's somewhat of a correlation there. Either way, there's literally nothing else to talk about right now unless Nintendo does something at PAX East and there's not really any precedent for it.

QQS

Smash Lord
It would be so amazing to have Geno revealed sooner than expected. I’m very confident all this time that he will be the “Banjo” of this FP at E2 2020 being #77. But if he ends up being #76 in a potencial March Direct, I would lose my mind and be completely paid in full in my gaming history, after my favorite characters (Mega Man & Geno) already made it in in my favorite game.

Probably in March 9 (Geno’s 24 birthday) or March 10 (Mario’s day). Epicness is coming full circle.

If this theory ends up being true, we would already have the big characters in (Ridley, KKR, Banjo and Geno). So I would be rooting for Crash to fulfill the iconic mascots in Ultimate.
To end up, it would be nice to see the other fan picks dreams coming true, such as Isaac, Lloyd, Waluigi. Master Chief, Dante, Hayabusa and Sora. Probably an indie being upgraded as a fighter (Shovel) and new premium costumes (Hollow Knight). I hope for another Zelda unique rep also.

After all this, I hope the best for Smash, but for me it would be the end of this chapter only with Geno playable. Won’t ask for anything ever again. Don’t know if as #76 or #77, but Geno is here guys.

I couldn’t express how happy I would be playing as Geno in Smash after I first played at him back in 1996. Of course his details (music, moveset and design) would be epic, like Banjo did. Just look how amazing was the Banjo HD redesign, keeping his N64 essence, and with an amazing demonstration of love in every aspect of the character (moves, stage, spirits, sounds, design, animations, music, etc.)

Geno visits from above!
Geno borrows the doll again!

GENO GETS SMASH ON THE ROAD!

B2046382-EC27-47AF-89EF-BDDC35336764.jpeg

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Okay I tend to ignore these kind of posts but it's too cringy so I'm gonna have to do this. Since it says 'entire' then it means me too, so here I go:

Some of us potentially expecting previous FD and BF stages based on that screenshot isn't 'rabid' or 'pathetic' nor some wild 'goose chase' as someone on Twitter put it, it's a conclusion based on multiple thought processes, like A) why would they not add that as a final treat for this celebration of Smash, B) would make more sense to remaster an old stage and USE it, and not just for testing the art style then discarding it which they obviously did even though they have like 100+ stages to test with, and C) they HAVE teased future stuff like with Luigi's Poltergust G-00 for LM3 in the Simon trailer which also could have been just an original design and nothing more. My personal conclusion comes from my experience not as a dev, but a graphic designer who was always told to not waste time on assets that won't be used. Sakurai wasn't my boss obviously.

My point is calling other people who dared to risk a bit of reasonable speculation (because I have yet to see people flip out like you illustrated) and lost is not cool while you took the easy route and now talk like you're above us with your 'logic'. It's cringy, and it's what tends to divide the fanbase instead of coming together and emphatizing with those who have been saddened. End of rant.
So originally I was going to let this go because it's really not worth responding too as the answer is simple enough, but it's getting a lot of likes so I feel the need to address this since apparently a lot of people share this opinion.

First off, there is nothing cringy about this. If you look outside of this thread (and even some of the people inside of it) the Smash community is like one big fat spoiled brat that constantly demands more from their Daddy Sakurai and belittles him and insults him whenever they don't get what they want. It's a perfect representation of rich kid status that I have ever seen and it makes it painful to spend time within the community because I'm tired of seeing it.

Proof of purchase? This entire thread was filled with mostly people who ACTUALLY thought that a dev picture taken super early in development (stated by Sakurai himself btw that all these pics are from BASE GAME DEVELOPMENT) meant we were going to get an updated OLD VERSION of a stage we already have that looks way better. It was clear to anyone who wasn't desperate that it was just a picture taken in-game on an old version of Battlefield before the new one was created to be stable enough to use, but the Smash community constantly needs more and more and will cling to any tiny thing that can mean anything when just a SMALL amount of logic disproves that.

Now that it's deconfirmed, what happened? Everyone has given up on a February Direct, and rather than just relax and breathe and have a slow burn until we get a official announcement...MAINTENANCE ON THE 9TH! OMG GUYS DOES THIS CONFIRM A DIRECT ON THE 9TH/10TH?! AAAAAaaaAAAhhhHHHhhhHH~!

We can't go more than a day without somebody desperately clinging onto something and making the whole fanbase look like mindless apes. Anytime ANYTHING that can REMOTELY be tied to Smash, everyone starts hopping up and down like monkeys at the zoo when the feeder comes by. When I call the fanbase pathetic and rabid, this is what I mean.

I see a fanbase that tears one another apart just because of the character they want. I see people in the chat and comments of EVERY SINGLE NINTENDO ANNOUNCEMENT talking about Smash and hoping for Smash content even when it's clearly a Nindies or a Direct dedicated to a single game or after we LITERALLY just got Smash news. I see people saying Sakurai should be fired or should go commit sudoku just because a character they didn't want got in. I see reactors screeching 'IS IT SMASH? IS THIS SMASH?' and people acting like they are losing their minds just because Nintendo hasn't announced anything in a little while. Just because it's longer than it has been doesn't mean you all have to come unglued!

If you want to know what is tearing the fanbase apart and keeping people like my buddy Adam from getting into Smash, it's those of you who act like this. Like Smash Bros is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR LIFE and you NEED more news or you will GO INSANE AND DIE. I get tired of coming in here and seeing people latching on to stupid fake leaks and information that means nothing just because you have made yourself so desperate for information on a ****ing video game. Hell, people come in here to flame us for having an opinion and Fatman has been threatened to have his parents's information given to the public over A MOTHER****ING VIDEOGAME!

The sad part of it all is, right here in this thread is the tamest of all this. There are places WORSE than this. This is why I'm so fresh with people here anymore because I can't be bothered to hold back any longer.

Also, you are just flat out wrong. I didn't take an easier route: I took the logical and correct route. Occam's Razor and all that. The simplest answer was that it was an early semi-updated Battlefield that got scrapped but before that Sakurai took a dev pic with it. Just because you took more time to think up of wacky possibilities that were far-fetched doesn't make me in the wrong somehow, especially when I turned out to be right.

I'm not higher than any of you, but I DO consistently think things through and gather FACTS and use LOGIC to come to a conclusion. I did that when it came to us getting more content, and I was right. I did that when it came to the timeline of events for more DLC and we have yet to see if that's the case but it's very highly likely I'm right as Sakurai himself said #6 is ready to launch already. I did that when I stated that a Direct in March is more likely, and where are we looking in those regards? I did that with the Battlefield thing, and I was right.

Literally anyone can do what I'm doing: not jump to conclusions, gather evidence and use your brains to come up with the logical conclusion. Also, I mentioned there was an easy response to this, that is as such: If it doesn't apply to you, then it doesn't apply to you, so ignore it. Don't be so overly sensitive to think that someone is calling you something when they applying it to the majority and you fall in the minority. Much like being offended at insults, that falls on you and not on me. Knowing it didn't apply to you, you could have just ignored it entirely because 'Well, I don't act like that, so he's not talking about ME.' yet you did anyway for whatever reason and now here we are with me pointing out again how silly it was to think that stage coming was even possible while also putting the community on blast for being as toxic as it is.

MarioTime

Smash Apprentice
It was such a bummer knowing that Geno was cut from Brawl like imagine him in those Subspace Emissary cutscenes (I'm a big fan of Subspace btw)

D

Deleted member

I don't remember who it was that was talking about how wild it'd be for Geno to be revealed on March 9 and released on May 13 (the JP and US releases of Mario RPG, respectively) way back when Terry was coming out, but whoever it was, pat yourself on the back, because a situation I thought would be too perfect has suddenly developed potential. Just imagine this scenario:

Nintendo announces a direct on March 9 for March 10 (Super Mario RPG -> Mar10 Day)
Geno revealed to be 6 in the Mar10 Direct
Joker Amiibo releases in April with the re-release of P. Plant, Isabelle and K. Rool
Geno ready to go with 8.0.0 on May 13 (a Wednesday, on which we've gotten 3 out of 5 DLC characters)

Heoj

Smash Ace
So originally I was going to let this go because it's really not worth responding too as the answer is simple enough, but it's getting a lot of likes so I feel the need to address this since apparently a lot of people share this opinion.

First off, there is nothing cringy about this. If you look outside of this thread (and even some of the people inside of it) the Smash community is like one big fat spoiled brat that constantly demands more from their Daddy Sakurai and belittles him and insults him whenever they don't get what they want. It's a perfect representation of rich kid status that I have ever seen and it makes it painful to spend time within the community because I'm tired of seeing it.

Proof of purchase? This entire thread was filled with mostly people who ACTUALLY thought that a dev picture taken super early in development (stated by Sakurai himself btw that all these pics are from BASE GAME DEVELOPMENT) meant we were going to get an updated OLD VERSION of a stage we already have that looks way better. It was clear to anyone who wasn't desperate that it was just a picture taken in-game on an old version of Battlefield before the new one was created to be stable enough to use, but the Smash community constantly needs more and more and will cling to any tiny thing that can mean anything when just a SMALL amount of logic disproves that.

Now that it's deconfirmed, what happened? Everyone has given up on a February Direct, and rather than just relax and breathe and have a slow burn until we get a official announcement...MAINTENANCE ON THE 9TH! OMG GUYS DOES THIS CONFIRM A DIRECT ON THE 9TH/10TH?! AAAAAaaaAAAhhhHHHhhhHH~!

We can't go more than a day without somebody desperately clinging onto something and making the whole fanbase look like mindless apes. Anytime ANYTHING that can REMOTELY be tied to Smash, everyone starts hopping up and down like monkeys at the zoo when the feeder comes by. When I call the fanbase pathetic and rabid, this is what I mean.

I see a fanbase that tears one another apart just because of the character they want. I see people in the chat and comments of EVERY SINGLE NINTENDO ANNOUNCEMENT talking about Smash and hoping for Smash content even when it's clearly a Nindies or a Direct dedicated to a single game or after we LITERALLY just got Smash news. I see people saying Sakurai should be fired or should go commit sudoku just because a character they didn't want got in. I see reactors screeching 'IS IT SMASH? IS THIS SMASH?' and people acting like they are losing their minds just because Nintendo hasn't announced anything in a little while. Just because it's longer than it has been doesn't mean you all have to come unglued!

If you want to know what is tearing the fanbase apart and keeping people like my buddy Adam from getting into Smash, it's those of you who act like this. Like Smash Bros is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR LIFE and you NEED more news or you will GO INSANE AND DIE. I get tired of coming in here and seeing people latching on to stupid fake leaks and information that means nothing just because you have made yourself so desperate for information on a ****ing video game. Hell, people come in here to flame us for having an opinion and Fatman has been threatened to have his parents's information given to the public over A MOTHER****ING VIDEOGAME!

The sad part of it all is, right here in this thread is the tamest of all this. There are places WORSE than this. This is why I'm so fresh with people here anymore because I can't be bothered to hold back any longer.

Also, you are just flat out wrong. I didn't take an easier route: I took the logical and correct route. Occam's Razor and all that. The simplest answer was that it was an early semi-updated Battlefield that got scrapped but before that Sakurai took a dev pic with it. Just because you took more time to think up of wacky possibilities that were far-fetched doesn't make me in the wrong somehow, especially when I turned out to be right.

I'm not higher than any of you, but I DO consistently think things through and gather FACTS and use LOGIC to come to a conclusion. I did that when it came to us getting more content, and I was right. I did that when it came to the timeline of events for more DLC and we have yet to see if that's the case but it's very highly likely I'm right as Sakurai himself said #6 is ready to launch already. I did that when I stated that a Direct in March is more likely, and where are we looking in those regards? I did that with the Battlefield thing, and I was right.

Literally anyone can do what I'm doing: not jump to conclusions, gather evidence and use your brains to come up with the logical conclusion. Also, I mentioned there was an easy response to this, that is as such: If it doesn't apply to you, then it doesn't apply to you, so ignore it. Don't be so overly sensitive to think that someone is calling you something when they applying it to the majority and you fall in the minority. Much like being offended at insults, that falls on you and not on me. Knowing it didn't apply to you, you could have just ignored it entirely because 'Well, I don't act like that, so he's not talking about ME.' yet you did anyway for whatever reason and now here we are with me pointing out again how silly it was to think that stage coming was even possible while also putting the community on blast for being as toxic as it is.

"Now that it's deconfirmed, what happened? Everyone has given up on a February Direct, and rather than just relax and breathe and have a slow burn until we get a official announcement...MAINTENANCE ON THE 9TH! OMG GUYS DOES THIS CONFIRM A DIRECT ON THE 9TH/10TH?! AAAAAaaaAAAhhhHHHhhhHH~!

We can't go more than a day without somebody desperately clinging onto something and making the whole fanbase look like mindless apes. Anytime ANYTHING that can REMOTELY be tied to Smash, everyone starts hopping up and down like monkeys at the zoo when the feeder comes by. When I call the fanbase pathetic and rabid, this is what I mean."

I dont really think this is it chief. We aint going bat**** crazy over a potential direct on the 9th/10th, we are just speculating about how it is a possibility, i dont see the problem with people simply acknowledging the possibility of a direct.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't remember who it was that was talking about how wild it'd be for Geno to be revealed on March 9 and released on May 13 (the JP and US releases of Mario RPG, respectively) way back when Terry was coming out, but whoever it was, pat yourself on the back, because a situation I thought would be too perfect has suddenly developed potential. Just imagine this scenario:

Nintendo announces a direct on March 9 for March 10 (Super Mario RPG -> Mar10 Day)
Geno revealed to be 6 in the Mar10 Direct
Joker Amiibo releases in April with the re-release of P. Plant, Isabelle and K. Rool
Geno ready to go with 8.0.0 on May 13 (a Wednesday, on which we've gotten 3 out of 5 DLC characters)
That would be nice, and a satisfactory conclusion to nearly 2 decades of waiting for his return proper

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys. What's going on?

Aside from that maintenance thing happening on the ninth of March, that is.

If that means a new Direct is going to happen soon, I am in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom