• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I'd kill for a Spirit, Assist Trophy, and Indie to be in FP2. Break ALL the rules! <insert Allie Brosh's meme here>
You can have all of that in one character with Shovel Knight. I would KILL for that since he was one of my most wanted.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
My theory is that they added something in rather than taking something out. Directs aren’t live. They’re all pre-recorded so a singular (or even multiple) game or DLC announcement being delayed wouldn’t heavily affect when they’d put out a Direct. It’d be as easy as simply editing that section out. Adding something in would mean recording new footage and voice over stuff along with editing it in.
That’s an interesting theory, maybe an additional trailer that wasn’t originally included

Polarthief

Smash Lord
You can have all of that in one character with Shovel Knight. I would KILL for that since he was one of my most wanted.
Was he a Spirit too? idr. That would be a nice triple play if he did get promoted though. There's so many relics and **** from SK that you could easily make an awesome kit out of him. I'd be hype as **** for that and unless they wanna do some older characters like Shantae, Quote, or... ... ... who else really represents Indies now that I think about it? SK is pretty new, but he's one of the most popular ones (besides Shantae). Quote's older and decently popular but not even close to SK/Shantae. Sans? Cuphead? Both just got a Mii costume so they're out, though either would also be kinda neat. That said, I feel like Cuphead's kit would be a bit limited. Sans could use his monster friends to assist if there can't be a complete kit made for him. Or just make it so he has 99% dodge but one hit autokills him.

But yeah, that'd be cool to break as many rules for these next 2 years of speculation. If SK was first, that would shatter pretty much every wall.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Was he a Spirit too? idr. That would be a nice triple play if he did get promoted though. There's so many relics and **** from SK that you could easily make an awesome kit out of him. I'd be hype as **** for that and unless they wanna do some older characters like Shantae, Quote, or... ... ... who else really represents Indies now that I think about it? SK is pretty new, but he's one of the most popular ones (besides Shantae). Quote's older and decently popular but not even close to SK/Shantae. Sans? Cuphead? Both just got a Mii costume so they're out, though either would also be kinda neat. That said, I feel like Cuphead's kit would be a bit limited. Sans could use his monster friends to assist if there can't be a complete kit made for him. Or just make it so he has 99% dodge but one hit autokills him.

But yeah, that'd be cool to break as many rules for these next 2 years of speculation. If SK was first, that would shatter pretty much every wall.
Yeah he got a spirit alongside King, Specter, Plague, and Shield Knight. Shovel Knight got the best treatment in my opinion since the assisit trophy is the actual character and behaves like he did in his game. No songs sucks a bit but whatever. Shovel Knight and Waluigi are my top picks for assist trophy promotions, even if the former is rather unlikely. The fact he got in Smash at all does please me and is deserving but I would love to see him promoted.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Wouldn't that be incredible! I cant promise ATs would make it, but I'm not against seeing the likes of Shovel Knight, Isaac or Krystal join the fight.

I'm still on pins and needles about Geno. The spirit change was always something I fought in favor of. Ever since they changed Game and Watch's Fire Stick spirit. And that was more than just a name change.

I was curious if some spirit battles would change when certain Mii Costumes got in (Tails in particular) but that hasnt been the case.

I'm glad to see that names have changed and have helped warm people up to the possibility that Spirits can be adjusted/patched in the event one or two were made into a playable character.

Praying that Sakurai got it done and made Geno a character!

Plank08

Smash Lord
Here’s my stance on Byleth:
I didn’t personally want them before they were announced like at all, but my friends excitement made me lighten up to the character, and after this and hero, I’ve just come to the conclusion that if the moveset is cool and the extra content is good I really don’t care who gets in smash, so yeah, once I get the money, I’ll buy Fighter Pass 2.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Just to go a bit nuts, here'd be an interesting FP IMO:
- AT Promotion: Waluigi
- Spirit Promotion: Geno
- First Indie: Shantae
- Highly Requested: Crash
- Advertising Pick (1)/Obligatory Pokemon: Toxtricity (probably Urshifu, but let me dream of an actually decent pick, please)
- Advertising Pick (2): Sylux? Tom Nook? Whatever is going to be Holiday Title 2020?
- Alternatively to ^, another Highly Requested: Doom Guy/Master Chief

That would break some walls, put in some good requests, and tick a few boxes for advertising. It'll never happen because there's not enough Eastern requests on this list IIRC, but this would be a crazy nice FP, even though I'm getting only 1~2 picks (if I really count Toxtricity as a pick of mine; it'd just be the best Pokemon Gen 8 choice IMO).

Edit: Actually ****, now I want a Gen 8 pick because that means we can add all versions of the Gym Leader Battle Theme to Smash. ALL of them. Into one amazing remix. The one amazingly beautiful thing Gen 8 gave us was that track, and it absolutely should be in Smash.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
- AT Promotion
- Spirit Promotion
Personally I don't think spirits are impossible, but the point is still that Nintendo could just directly choose to not make them spirits or asissts rather than intentionally try to pick characters from already nonplayable beings, if they could just do Isabelle and Ridley directly playable since the start of the new game.

Breaking wall isnt supposed to be the aim of the game, making good decisions everytime should be, because if Nintendo believe that what they've done so far is all correct, they shouldn't have tried to correct it. In the eye of Nintendo, wasting budget and risking the system to break the wall is also not a wise decision making.
Such as I hope that Nintendo didn't choose plant piranah but Geno in the first place, so that NIntendo do not have to waste another later slot for Geno, right?

Yes, I can understand that NIntendo may want to push Pokemon Gen8 for the same reason they did with FE3H. I still think such kind of move still suits better for the base game.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Personally I don't think spirits are impossible, but the point is still that Nintendo could just directly choose to not make them spirits or asissts rather than intentionally try to pick characters from already nonplayable beings, if they could just do Isabelle and Ridley directly playable since the start of the new game.
I've already went over this, and agree to an extent. FP1 spirits (especially the second half of FP1) I find nigh impossible of making it in as FP2 DLC. As for Spirits in base, yes, it would be weird as hell to have them as DLC in FP1.

HOWEVER, Spirits in base, totally possible to see them as DLC for FP2, as they would have put them in as Spirits first, then decided on FP1 DLC, and then during FP1's cycle, they decided on FP2's DLC, and I don't see why they would just limit themselves due to Spirits they put in base. Same goes for Mii costumes and Assist Trophies (though AT to a lesser extent; the barrier there seems a bit harsher to me).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey guys I just heard something

I might have found the golden ticket to spirits don’t deconfirm

I heard they found out spirits get renamed sometimes

D

Deleted member

Nintendo and Sakurai would not care about 2 Geno spirits. There are multiple variations of playable characters like Peach in her wedding outfit. They didn’t even bother removing Mewtwo’s and Lucas’s old trophy. For Geno’s Fighter Spirit, just give him his sprite or his Ultimate render like Cloud and Wii Fit Trainer and call it a day. In fact, they could rename the old spirit, Geno doll.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I've already went over this, and agree to an extent. FP1 spirits (especially the second half of FP1) I find nigh impossible of making it in as FP2 DLC. As for Spirits in base, yes, it would be weird as hell to have them as DLC in FP1.

HOWEVER, Spirits in base, totally possible to see them as DLC for FP2, as they would have put them in as Spirits first, then decided on FP1 DLC, and then during FP1's cycle, they decided on FP2's DLC, and I don't see why they would just limit themselves due to Spirits they put in base. Same goes for Mii costumes and Assist Trophies (though AT to a lesser extent; the barrier there seems a bit harsher to me).
The main reason I feel doubtful about spirits is that this heavily restricts the choices since most NIntendo franchises are presented there, unlike assists or other nonplayable beings which don't cover too many unpresented franchises.

At this point, if spirit deconfirm theory still works, the DLCs can still be either new characters from presented franchises like Byleth, or 3rd party franchises like Persona. That tells why 3rd parties have a bigger chance and it's kinda boring in the end.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Nintendo and Sakurai would not care about 2 Geno spirits. There are multiple variations of playable characters like Peach in her wedding outfit. They didn’t even bother removing Mewtwo’s and Lucas’s old trophy. For Geno’s Fighter Spirit, just give him his sprite or his Ultimate render like Cloud and Wii Fit Trainer and call it a day. In fact, they could rename the old spirit, Geno doll.
Yes! If we're going by our current Fighter Spirits, Ice Climbers and Lucas already have their sprites as opposed to any render or concept art of theirs, possibly because there is none for them. Granted, Geno does have a render unlike them, but since it's taken, one of his sprites ripped straight from SMRPG should suffice really. They could go with any of them, but I think this one in particular would be what they'd choose:

geno sprite.png

Top that with a simple name change like the recent case with Dimitri and Hilda, and it's safe to say it'd be unbelievably easy to circumvent the fact that Geno already has a spirit in the game, and that goes for pretty much all the rest of them too. Why do spirits deconfirm again? lmao

Lyncario

Smash Ace

Personaly, I think that Reimu would represent Indie games, as she's from the oldest still running Indie series, since Touhou 1 came out in 1997, but also because Touhou is so Indie in it's style, and there's such a big irony to how popular the series is. She also has great moveset potential thanks to being in multiple fighting games. And the music. Touhou music in Smash would be beyond amazing.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Personaly, I think that Reimu would represent Indie games, as she's from the oldest still running Indie series, since Touhou 1 came out in 1997, but also because Touhou is so Indie in it's style, and there's such a big irony to how popular the series is. She also has great moveset potential thanks to being in multiple fighting games. And the music. Touhou music in Smash would be beyond amazing.
I have legit no idea on Touhou outside of that one song non-Touhou people know, so I didn't even consider her out of ignorance. She'd probably be a decent fit as well as an Eastern pick too. Most of the West will be scratching their heads going "who?" though as much as they did, if not moreso than when Terry was revealed.;)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My guess is that if Fighter 6 isn't shown in the next Direct, it will have its own Smash Direct/presentation in March or April. E3, like you said, would just be too long of a wait without anything inbewteen

But personally, I'm more so betting the next Direct will be it. After the Byleth backlash that they themselves expected to happen, they're in serious need of something to pick us right back up ASAP. Plus, selling FP2 without at least letting us consumers know its first entrant just feels... wrong
I remember people saying a year ago we would be seeing #72 get announced in February or April as the announcement of Joker in December and waiting for the next one until E3 was too absurd to think about. Look what happened, we didn't hear about Hero and Banjo & Kazooie until E3 which was half a year after Joker was announced. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see #76 until E3 because of this.

I'd kill for a Spirit, Assist Trophy, and Indie to be in FP2. Break ALL the rules! <insert Allie Brosh's meme here>
Geno, Waluigi, and Shantae all in one Season Pass would finally shut all the haters up and their fan rules forever. Lol! Dew it Sakurai!

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Geno, Waluigi, and Shantae all in one Season Pass would finally shut all the haters up and their fan rules forever. Lol! Dew it Sakurai!
[Palpatine]: DEW IT.
Also:

<other picks not relevant>
It'd be great if it happened!

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Three cups of coffee and an Addreall and, oh boy, it's time for more theorycrafting! Today's topic, analyzing Sakurai's dumps... The Mii costume ones. So, per usual, we're using Power of Six theory as our foundation. Quick recap:

"The theory that, when the Fighter's Pass was originally one and done, each pack was meant to have 6 Mii costumes that thematically fit with the pack's character and bring back all 15 of the Smash 4 third party DLC costumes."

Here is our theoretical model:

-Joker (4 Persona, Tails and Knuckles, SEGA theme)

-Hero (4 Dragon Quest, Geno and Chocobo, Square theme)

-Banjo (4 Megaman, Goemon, and Rocket Grunt, the "Dump")

-Terry (3 SNK, Akira, Jacky, and Heihachi, Fighting Game theme)

-Byleth (Ancient Armor, Rex, Lloyd, Gil, Monster Hunter, and Rathalos, Medieval Fantasy RPG theme)

Here's what we actually wound up with:

-Hero (4 Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest theme)

-Banjo (2 Megaman, Goemon, Sans, and Rocket Grunt, the "Dump")

-Terry (3 SNK, Akira, and Jacky, Fighting Game theme)

-Byleth (Altair, Rabbids, 2 Megaman, and Cuphead, the "Dump 2": the Second Dumping)

Smash 4 costumes that are MIA:

-Geno and Chocobo (Square)
-Lloyd, Gil, and Heihachi (Namco)
-Rathalos and Monster Hunter (Capcom)

Using this model, we've already theorized that 3 of the 6 Season 2 characters will be Square, Namco, and Capcom. What I realized today is that we can take this even further by looking at Sakurai's dumps under a microscope. First question to be asked, what is the purpose of a "dump?" The answer is to get rid of excess. The Fighter's Pass wound up having two dumps where the Mii costumes had little to do with the actual character; why? Let's go into that.

One strong point of analysis is that SEGA saw all of its Smash 4 costumes return in the Fighter's Pass. This presents the strong argument that we're not going to be seeing anymore SEGA characters because, if we were, one of the pairs would have been saved at the very least. What companies did we see in the pass but only as Mii costumes? Konami (Goemon), the Pokemon Company (Rocket Grunt), Ubisoft (Ezio and Rabbids), and the two indies (Sans and Cuphead). Using the same frame of analysis as we did SEGA, we can likely safely deduce that these companies won't be getting characters in the future because, again, if they were, why would they have content now? This makes the dumps a lot more interesting and perhaps gives them more meaning than we originally thought.

Banjo is RARE/Microsoft but came with no RARE/Microsoft costumes and Byleth is Nintendo but came with no Nintendo costumes. Very strange. As Power of Six shows us, Byleth very easily could have come with Rex and Ancient Armor but didn't. Two Nintendo costumes that very easily fit Byleth's theme but were made bonuses instead. Again, a very strange decision... Or is it?

Going off this model we set up, let's propose that the reason these two dumps happened was because Microsoft and Nintendo costumes were being saved for later. What does this imply? It's very simple: there's a pack coming later that's Nintendo and one that's Microsoft. As pointed out, Mii costume theming appears to be very deliberate, even with the dumps. The "dumps" are either excess or companies that won't have their own pack. Let's bring Geno in because I like to see people squirm.

"Geno and Chocobo weren't in Hero's pack because they wanted to keep the theme strictly Dragon Quest." Exactly. Think about it. Traditionally, Dragon Quest is the Enix side of Square Enix. Nowadays, it's technically owned by Armor Project and Bird Studio. It's not purely Square... But Geno and Chocobo are. See where I'm going with this? Using this observation, we can not only theorize that the purely Square content is being saved for another pack but this was done deliberately. So, ladies and gentlemen, what does this probably tell us? It tells us that the mystery Square Enix character is, just that, a purely Square character. Again, theming. If it was anything else, there would be no need to "save" Geno and Chocobo for later. 2B is part Platinum. Sora is Disney. Pretty groovy.

So, in conclusion, here's some things we can gather based on today's theorycraft:

-We already established that Square, Namco, and Capcom were highly probable based on missing Mii costumes but we can take this even further by looking at missing companies represented by Mii costumes.

-Based on the dumps and theming, we now have a strong hypothesis that two of the six packs will be Microsoft and Nintendo.

-We also have a new theory that our mystery Square Enix character will be a purely Square character.

Hope you all have fun with this.
If this comes true, it does not look good for Crash :(

Anyway, the left Mii costumes from Smash4 could still be randomly dropped during a reveal if plans have changed or something. But low possibility of that happening though.

So we have:

Microsoft: Master Chief or Steve.
Namco: Lloyd, Heihachi or Nightmare.
Capcom: Dante, Phoenix or Monster Hunter.
Square Enix: Geno, 2B or Sora.
Nintendo: This is a hard one. Too many possibilities. Personally I think and hope we will get a Zelda newcomer.
And the last one could be from a new company.

By this criterias I think the most likely outcome will be:

Microsoft: Steve
Namco: Heihachi
Square Enix: Geno
Capcom: Dante
Nintendo: Ganondorf or Zelda from BoTW2.
Other company: Crash

Would you be okay with this outcome?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Steve is probably gonna be a mii swordfighter if anything. Plus can we please get a LoZ charachter that ain't one of the big three

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
- Highly Requested: Crash
I'd never ask Sakurai of anything again if we got these 4. Maybe Klonoa if he's up to it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
[Palpatine]: DEW IT.
Palpatine to Sakurai: DEW IT!!! Just dew it! Dew it!

Anyway, the left Mii costumes from Smash4 could still be randomly dropped during a reveal if plans have changed or something. But low possibility of that happening though.

So we have:

Nintendo: This is a hard one. Too many possibilities. Personally I think and hope we will get a Zelda newcomer.

At least we would finally have a unique moveset for Ganondorf in Smash if we got BOTW2 version of him as DLC in Smash am I right? :lol:

Steve is probably gonna be a mii swordfighter if anything. Plus can we please get a LoZ charachter that ain't one of the big three
Probably one of the Champions if a Zelda newcomer. I hope it's Urbosa. :love:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Three cups of coffee and an Addreall and, oh boy, it's time for more theorycrafting! Today's topic, analyzing Sakurai's dumps... The Mii costume ones. So, per usual, we're using Power of Six theory as our foundation. Quick recap:

"The theory that, when the Fighter's Pass was originally one and done, each pack was meant to have 6 Mii costumes that thematically fit with the pack's character and bring back all 15 of the Smash 4 third party DLC costumes."

Here is our theoretical model:

-Hero (4 Dragon Quest, Geno and Chocobo, Square theme)

-Banjo (4 Megaman, Goemon, and Rocket Grunt, the "Dump")

-Terry (3 SNK, Akira, Jacky, and Heihachi, Fighting Game theme)

-Byleth (Ancient Armor, Rex, Lloyd, Gil, Monster Hunter, and Rathalos, Medieval Fantasy RPG theme)

Here's what we actually wound up with:

-Hero (4 Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest theme)

-Banjo (2 Megaman, Goemon, Sans, and Rocket Grunt, the "Dump")

-Terry (3 SNK, Akira, and Jacky, Fighting Game theme)

-Byleth (Altair, Rabbids, 2 Megaman, and Cuphead, the "Dump 2": the Second Dumping)

Smash 4 costumes that are MIA:

-Geno and Chocobo (Square)
-Lloyd, Gil, and Heihachi (Namco)
-Rathalos and Monster Hunter (Capcom)

Using this model, we've already theorized that 3 of the 6 Season 2 characters will be Square, Namco, and Capcom. What I realized today is that we can take this even further by looking at Sakurai's dumps under a microscope. First question to be asked, what is the purpose of a "dump?" The answer is to get rid of excess. The Fighter's Pass wound up having two dumps where the Mii costumes had little to do with the actual character; why? Let's go into that.

One strong point of analysis is that SEGA saw all of its Smash 4 costumes return in the Fighter's Pass. This presents the strong argument that we're not going to be seeing anymore SEGA characters because, if we were, one of the pairs would have been saved at the very least. What companies did we see in the pass but only as Mii costumes? Konami (Goemon), the Pokemon Company (Rocket Grunt), Ubisoft (Ezio and Rabbids), and the two indies (Sans and Cuphead). Using the same frame of analysis as we did SEGA, we can likely safely deduce that these companies won't be getting characters in the future because, again, if they were, why would they have content now? This makes the dumps a lot more interesting and perhaps gives them more meaning than we originally thought.

Banjo is RARE/Microsoft but came with no RARE/Microsoft costumes and Byleth is Nintendo but came with no Nintendo costumes. Very strange. As Power of Six shows us, Byleth very easily could have come with Rex and Ancient Armor but didn't. Two Nintendo costumes that very easily fit Byleth's theme but were made bonuses instead. Again, a very strange decision... Or is it?

Going off this model we set up, let's propose that the reason these two dumps happened was because Microsoft and Nintendo costumes were being saved for later. What does this imply? It's very simple: there's a pack coming later that's Nintendo and one that's Microsoft. As pointed out, Mii costume theming appears to be very deliberate, even with the dumps. The "dumps" are either excess or companies that won't have their own pack. Let's bring Geno in because I like to see people squirm.

"Geno and Chocobo weren't in Hero's pack because they wanted to keep the theme strictly Dragon Quest." Exactly. Think about it. Traditionally, Dragon Quest is the Enix side of Square Enix. Nowadays, it's technically owned by Armor Project and Bird Studio. It's not purely Square... But Geno and Chocobo are. See where I'm going with this? Using this observation, we can not only theorize that the purely Square content is being saved for another pack but this was done deliberately. So, ladies and gentlemen, what does this probably tell us? It tells us that the mystery Square Enix character is, just that, a purely Square character. Again, theming. If it was anything else, there would be no need to "save" Geno and Chocobo for later. 2B is part Platinum. Sora is Disney. Pretty groovy.

So, in conclusion, here's some things we can gather based on today's theorycraft:

-We already established that Square, Namco, and Capcom were highly probable based on missing Mii costumes but we can take this even further by looking at missing companies represented by Mii costumes.

-Based on the dumps and theming, we now have a strong hypothesis that two of the six packs will be Microsoft and Nintendo.

-We also have a new theory that our mystery Square Enix character will be a purely Square character.

Hope you all have fun with this.
This makes a lot of sense so knowing Nintendo this will probably be the furthest thing from what we actually get lol. While I certainly think there's a lot to this theory I wouldn't be surprised by some more curve balls. If we got something like this though it would be pretty much best case scenario for me:

1. Microsoft: Master Chief
2. Capcom: Phoenix Wright or Sir Arthur
3. Namco: Nightmare or Kloana
4. Square: Geno
5. Nintendo: Any of these: Dixie Kong, Krystal, Captain N, Skull Kid or Midna & Wolf Link or Champions, Waluigi, Captain Toad/Captain Toad&Toadette duo fighter, Andy, etc.
6. Other: Crash

Edit: I suppose I could tolerate not getting Rayman if we got all these but I simply don't understand his absence on the roster. But....Geno!

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
While I think Chief is certainly possible, I don't think i'd hold my breath. I could absolutely be wrong but I think Banjo was a special case since he WAS a Nintendo character in the past, but isn't anymore due to legal reasons. Microsoft isn't making money off the IP anymore and can make a quick buck by including him in Smash. Halo, on the other hand, is still making games and money for them. I can't imagine they'd let Chief in. But who knows, stranger things have happened - heck, we got Banjo in the first place!

Also, i would love to see Geno from Super Mario RPG in Smash :colorful:

Firox

Smash Master
Alright, Ladies and Gents, expanding on Fatman's mii costume theories from yesterday, I wanted to try my own hand at some theory-crafting....

So, while I don't think that Spirits themselves are a harbinger of death for FP2, I do think that "Spirit Events" count as a soft deconfirm for any franchises they represent. That said, let's look at some of the ones we've had so far (let me know if I missed any):

-Tetris
-Pokemon SwSh
-Resident Evil
-Daemon X Machina
-Labo
-Astral Chain
-River City (I think it's called)

In light of these, I think it would be a safe assumption that we WON'T actually be getting a Gen 8 pokemon with FP2 due to the Pokemon SwSh spirit event. Granted, Toxtricity, etc. could have their own spirits, but I think the chances are pretty low based on this. Also, the highly sought after Resident Evil and (less sought after) Astral Chain reps seem to be out.

Now for the bonus Mii Costume for FP2. It's the Ancient Armor from Breath of the Wild. I'm pretty sure that if we were going to get a BotW 2 shill, then they wouldn't have released it by itself. That said, I'm betting that we won't be getting another Zelda character in general. Thoughts?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

So we have:

Steve and Geno make this awesome.

Steve is just as likely as Microsoft’s unofficial mascot.

Steve is probably gonna be a mii swordfighter if anything.
Please no.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Steve and Geno make this awesome.

Steve is just as likely as Microsoft’s unofficial mascot.

Please no.
I doubt they add Steve over Chief. And for the record, I'm not against Steve being playable. Especially now with Banjo being included (unless its a charachter like Son Goku, I'm open minded even if have a wishinglist myself).

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
I doubt they add Steve over Chief. And for the record, I'm not against Steve being playable. Especially now with Banjo being included (unless its a charachter like Son Goku, I'm open minded even if have a wishinglist myself).
I think Steve is way more likely. Master Chief would add a ton of hype for Western fans, but Steve represents a more general game that is big pretty much EVERYWHERE. They'd be dumb to not add him in at least some form. Also Sakurai plays it himself, not that it confirms it or anything... But nice to know that he'd know what he was doing if he added him in lol. Does anyone know how Halo is even viewed in Japan? I know the Xbox sells like trash there at least

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I just don’t see how Chief is anymore likely than Steve is save for what Fatman heard probably coming true.

Master Chief is certainly big, and there is the rumor of the MCC coming to the Switch, but Steve is used as a mascot as well sometimes alongside Banjo & Kazooie, and he’s very popular in Japan. I don’t think either is more-likely than the other, though, I’m just sayin’.

But gosh, I hope it’s Steve. I can wait until next game...but the jerks crapping on Steve fans are going to be frickin annoying. I just want him in already. Just as some of y’all don’t think Steve is cool and think he’s boring, I don’t give a crap about Chief and just want my favorite block dude to be in Smash with my favorite duo from Rare, and everyone throwing Steve under the bus like “Chief is in and Steve will be a costume, nothing more! I don’t care about Steve but you Steve fans will happily take a costume, right?” are annoying as heck; sure, I’d take a costume over nothing, and maybe Chief would be fun/cool, but gosh I just wish that people would stop acting condescending to Steve fans by pushing that dang costume idea (some would still take a costume at least, like me, but non-Steve fans aren’t making it sound nice), that the Grotesque Steve trolls would disappear, and all the people complaining about Steve to Steve fans’ faces would shut up.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Master Chief is the Xbox mascot. Steve is very popular, but the Chief has always been the "face of Xbox." I think if a Microsoft rep is likely, it will definitely be one of those two. I can see Chief with a Steve Mii Costume coming, or even Steve with a Master Chief helment for Mii Gunner. I'd much rather have Chief than Steve, though. The avatar characters just haven't seemed to go over as well lately.

EDIT:

From here, you have Microsoft but Microsoft really doesn't have anything "purely" Microsoft. Another RARE character likely isn't happening so it puts Microsoft in an interesting spot. No matter who they choose, they pretty much have to bring a new company/team to the table. This means Microsoft could be either 10 or 11 based on this. Either way, we're still getting one new company to the mix aside from whatever Microsoft antes up. This is why I have my theory of Crash (Activision/Blizzard) as 10 and Master Chief as 11 (Microsoft/Bungie) but the order is irrelevant.
Was just curious as to what you meant by nothing "purely Microsoft." Bungie has never owned the Halo franchise(a big reason they ended up leaving, joining Activision, and then left while retaining the rights to Destiny). I believe they created it under Microsoft, but Microsoft has always had the rights to it. Halo 4 and onward have been developed by 343 Industries, a Microsoft game studio. Just wanted to make sure I understood what you meant, and could help add in to who currently is making the Halo games/owns the IP.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
N NIckynickreviews Posed an interesting question on my profile. He was able to find the evidence I was talking about that Banjo was decided and negotiated around E3 2018 and asked, since Crash was first heard by insiders around E3 2019, what were the odds of Crash being an E3 2020 reveal and then I was like... Oh... That actually would make a lot of sense...

Just to recap, my character predictions are Waluigi, Geno, Lloyd, Dante, Crash, and Master Chief but perhaps not in that order. My thoughts were that Geno and Lloyd would be this year's E3 reveals but... What if it's Geno and Crash? Both have been heavily wanted since even before Melee so them appearing in the 2020 E3 Direct would make a ton of sense. No offense to Lloyd but Crash is definitely more worthy of E3. Lloyd could be saved for the fall Direct or even a special 25th anniversary Tales presentation. Dante and Master Chief would both be extremely appropriate for a VGA reveal. In makes sense in my head and I wanted to see what you all thought.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Master Chief is the Xbox mascot. Steve is very popular, but the Chief has always been the "face of Xbox." I think if a Microsoft rep is likely, it will definitely be one of those two. I can see Chief with a Steve Mii Costume coming, or even Steve with a Master Chief helment for Mii Gunner. I'd much rather have Chief than Steve, though. The avatar characters just haven't seemed to go over as well lately.
Qualitatively speaking, it would make more sense to have a fully detailed Master Chief with a premium Steve Mii Costume than to have the much lower resolution block man accompanied by a marginal-looking Master Chief costume. In that sense, Microsoft could effectively have BOTH characters get into Smash while giving appropriate justice to their appearances. Frankly, I think having both characters come together at the same time could only amplify the general hype.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
N NIckynickreviews Posed an interesting question on my profile. He was able to find the evidence I was talking about that Banjo was decided and negotiated around E3 2018 and asked, since Crash was first heard by insiders around E3 2019, what were the odds of Crash being an E3 2020 reveal and then I like... Oh... That actually would make a lot of sense...

Just to recap, my character predictions are Waluigi, Geno, Lloyd, Dante, Crash, and Master Chief but perhaps not in that order. My thoughts were that Geno and Lloyd would be this year's E3 reveals but... What if it's Geno and Crash? Both have been heavily wanted since even before Melee so them appearing in the 2020 E3 Direct would make a ton of sense. No offense to Lloyd but Crash is definitely more worthy of E3. Lloyd could be saved for the fall Direct or even a special 25th anniversary Tales presentation. Dante and Master Chief would both be extremely appropriate for a VGA reveal. In makes sense in my head and I wanted to see what you all thought.
Plus going back to that mii costume theory, they said mallow/smithy and crash was coming. Both Geno and Crash with the mii costumes could all be coming at the same time which is why they were lumped together on that list.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

EDIT:

Was just curious as to what you meant by nothing "purely Microsoft." Bungie has never owned the Halo franchise(a big reason they ended up leaving, joining Activision, and then left while retaining the rights to Destiny). I believe they created it under Microsoft, but Microsoft has always had the rights to it. Halo 4 and onward have been developed by 343 Industries, a Microsoft game studio. Just wanted to make sure I understood what you meant, and could help add in to who currently is making the Halo games/owns the IP.
Steve isn’t just an avatar. He may not have an officially-defined personality save for some preferences that differ between him and Alex, but he’s still used as a full-on character in merch, some official videos, sometimes tweets, some News articles on the official website, and in a lot of art on the official Instagram. He has also crossed over with other games.

Qualitatively speaking, it would make more sense to have a fully detailed Master Chief with a premium Steve Mii Costume than to have the much lower resolution block man accompanied by a marginal-looking Master Chief costume. In that sense, Microsoft could effectively have BOTH characters get into Smash while giving appropriate justice to their appearances. Frankly, I think having both characters come together at the same time could only amplify the general hype.
It would make just as much sense to have Steve over Chief, just watch some recent official animations on youtube; Steve could emote well, and if his ingame pixels are too noisy, make him look like his artwork. Not like this is really an objective thing. Steve would have just as much quality as Chief and you can bet Sakurai would do him justice if he’s a fighter.

anyway,
Not mine.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Plus going back to that mii costume theory, they said mallow/smithy and crash was coming. Both Geno and Crash with the mii costumes could all be coming at the same time which is why they were lumped together on that list.
Did the source assume Crash was 5 because they just heard him?

Last edited by a moderator:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Steve isn’t just an avatar. He may not have an officially-defined personality save for some preferences that differ between him and Alex, but he’s still used as a full-on character in merch, some official videos, sometimes tweets, some News articles on the official website, and in a lot of art on the official Instagram. He has also crossed over with other games.

It would make just as much sense to have Steve over Chief, just watch some recent official animations on youtube; Steve could emote well, and if his ingame pixels are too noisy, make him look like his artwork. Not like this is really an objective thing. Steve would have just as much quality as Chief and you can bet Sakurai would do him justice if he’s a fighter.

anyway,
Not mine.
I agree. While I personally have more of a connection with Chief, both characters make sense and deserve a spot just as much as the other. Both have overwhelming potential with movesets and unique mechanics. When I first challenged myself to create a Chief Moveset I did so because he seemed bland and I never expected it to be one of my most creative and fun to make movesets. When you really put your heart in it any character can be something special and I know Sakurai would do both characters justice. I mean the graphics in SMRPG are part of the charm just like they are in Minecraft, but fan art of a "Smashified" Geno looks incredible and doesn't detract from him as a character and I think the same would be true for Steve. People get so held up over these little things that really seem quite easy to overcome with just a little ingenuity. At surface value they may seem bland, uninspiring, etc but I would have said the same thing about Mr Game&Watch, Duck Hunt, or even Wii Fit Trainer, etc but they all turned out super fun, charming, and interesting and the roster just wouldn't feel right without these kinds of characters you wouldn't expect to fit in as well as they do.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
N NIckynickreviews Posed an interesting question on my profile. He was able to find the evidence I was talking about that Banjo was decided and negotiated around E3 2018 and asked, since Crash was first heard by insiders around E3 2019, what were the odds of Crash being an E3 2020 reveal and then I like... Oh... That actually would make a lot of sense...

If a double reveal happens at E3, Crash and Geno make a LOT of sense. The fact that Crash has been heard since last E3, similar to Banjo, it would make sense. But the question then becomes, if we do not get a fighter reveal soon and we wait for E3, Does Crash start the direct or Geno? Thematically, Geno being 7 fits like a dang glove, but that may not matter to Sakurai and the team. Ending the direct with Geno would be incredible. Especially if it is yet ANOTHER DK style reveal.

Firox

Smash Master
If a double reveal happens at E3, Crash and Geno make a LOT of sense. The fact that Crash has been heard since last E3, similar to Banjo, it would make sense. But the question then becomes, if we do not get a fighter reveal soon and we wait for E3, Does Crash start the direct or Geno? Thematically, Geno being 7 fits like a dang glove, but that may not matter to Sakurai and the team. Ending the direct with Geno would be incredible. Especially if it is yet ANOTHER DK style reveal.
If Geno came with another DK style reveal, which character would be the "Fake out" troll? You know how D3 was Krool and Duck Hunt was BK? Who would make a good Geno silhouette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom