• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Why do we think more Microsoft content is coming? Isn't it more likely that Nintendo and Microsoft worked out a deal for JUST Banjo/Spiral Mountain/Spirits/Music and that's all? Just because other companies have mii costumes doesn't mean all of them have to. This seems like another fan rule that's begging to be broken.
Hm, It could happen, It could not.
As simple customers we just can discuss and speculate about it, but I preffer not to go deeper in the topic since this is the Geno Thread.
I'm excited to see if Geno is coming with SMRPG on the SNES Switch Online services.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Could, but my bet's on week 2 or 3 of Feb, but realistically any week in Feb or the first or second week of March is possible too.
How do I shoot you with a cannon for what you said about later February? Nah, just kidding!

Seriously, though, those weeks of February make sense, but March would suck for me.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So, that could also mean a Direct is coming next month, which probably means they also delayed the Direct as well.

Anyone thinking the Direct could happen next week?
I'm betting on one for the second week of February.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
egaddmario egaddmario There's a difference between speculating/theory-crafting and "Fan rules."

Also for direct wise, I really hope for a direct soon. Please. Need to know the face of the next pass.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
How do I shoot you with a cannon for what you said about later February? Nah, just kidding!

Seriously, though, those weeks of February make since, but March would suck for me.
I would have killed to be wrong about January, but I called it that we wouldn't get one after that Sakurai video on Byleth. There was no way in hell if they're revealing DLC 6 in the direct, and here we are without a January direct.

March would suck, yes, but it's possible as well if they wanted to maximize the time for the reveal. The only "rule" (haha) is that the direct will be before AC. That gives 1-2 months notice before they would release DLC 6, then another month or so before E3. It all just lines up so perfectly, but Nintendo could always Nintendo it up.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, that could also mean a Direct is coming next month, which probably means they also delayed the Direct as well.

Anyone thinking the Direct could happen next week?
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Early February is a very likely candidate for our first General Direct of the year. I won't be surprised if we see it within the first two weeks of the month and February is a pretty common month for General Directs

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I would have killed to be wrong about January, but I called it that we wouldn't get one after that Sakurai video on Byleth. There was no way in hell if they're revealing DLC 6 in the direct, and here we are without a January direct.

March would suck, yes, but it's possible as well if they wanted to maximize the time for the reveal. The only "rule" (haha) is that the direct will be before AC. That gives 1-2 months notice before they would release DLC 6, then another month or so before E3. It all just lines up so perfectly, but Nintendo could always Nintendo it up.
I don’t think it was Byleth’s reveal that month that was the reason there was no Direct. I mean, I don’t know what it was, but if it was delayed, it was maybe because of something else, to me, personally speaking.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Early February is a very likely candidate for our first General Direct of the year. I won't be surprised if we see it within the first two weeks of the month and February is a pretty common month for General Directs
Yup, I'm guessing week 2 personally. That would at least give some breathing room between Byleth releasing and the next reveal. Week 1 isn't a lot of time.

I don’t think it was Byleth’s reveal that month that was the reason there was no Direct. I mean, I don’t know what it was, but if it was delayed, it was maybe because of something else, to me, personally speaking.
Not just Byleth and the timing, but the Pokémon direct didn't help either. Feb also just makes sense.

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Probably so CP6's reveal would be in the Direct and so Sakurai can have more time.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Probably so CP6's reveal would be in the Direct and so Sakurai can have more time.
I mean everyone needs to keep in mind that not only did they have to make and edit the Sakurai video (yes I know it was shot well in advance), but they also need to make whatever video will be for DLC 6. Will it be a whole trailer? Will it be a Sakurai video? Will it be like Isabelle's? Who knows, but the point is they need it to be ready for the direct. That can take some time.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Since last Nintendo Direct was back in September 4th, I think a Feb Nintendo Direct (With a Smash Announcement) is pretty.. possible.
Edit: Adding fuel to this, Sakurai stated that Byleth video presentation was made back in November, so I also think it's pretty safe to say that #6 video presentation has been already made.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
@Firox I'm theorycrafting Microsoft because of the pure absence of it. If Banjo was the only RARE/Microsoft content coming, he probably would have had more with him. There probably would have been something like a Master Chief or Steve Mii costume at the very least. The total absence is very suspicious. Again, all the packs have strong theming except Banjo, the Microsoft pack, and Byleth, the Nintendo pack. Both are dumps and we have strong evidence that Byleth probably wasn't intended to be a dump originally because we technically already have two DLC Nintendo Mii costumes in the form of Rex and Ancient Armor.

Banjo's lack of Microsoft content is made even more suspicious by the fact that Cuphead could have come with Banjo but didn't. Toby Fox and Studio MDHR are treated like full on indie companies. Obviously, Studio MDHR has a very strong relationship with Microsoft so would make sense to be with Banjo's stuff but, again, wasn't. That seems to have been a deliberate choice. My theory is that Banjo was totally the end of Microsoft related content, Cuphead would have been with him. This suggests to me that more Microsoft related content is on the way, especially in the light that Studio MDHR was treated completely as its own thing.
I think if anything, the fact 2 out of 5 have no consistent pattern would hint at there not really being a pattern.

The theory is also extremely circumstantial when it comes to company wonkiness like mergers and who technically owns who because it implies Square Enix and Dragon Quest (and the rights nightmare that is the latter) is pertinent information while the Atlus buyout is not. It also ignores mii costumes directly related to the series being a possibility just because said company is already represented in an excess dump. Arle for example could be the "true" Sega rep with this logic because Hero and 2B apparently don't count as Square reps, so Joker counting as Sega would be odd as well.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but it seems to be a point in favour of Geno.

The developers can, and have, renamed spirits, so they could rename the current Geno spirit "Geno (Super Mario RPG)" and refer to a potential fighter spirit as "Geno (Super Smash Bros.)" if needed. I'm probably beating a dead horse at this point, but it seems like a strong sign that a character being a spirit isn't a barrier to them being playable. (it's not official proof, but there's no official proof either way, and stuff like this is all that we have to go on since Piranha Plant was, by all appearances, planned for the base game (getting a Palutena Guidance when no other DLC character did; getting an amiibo with the base game characters when other DLC amiibos haven't been announced), most of the Fighters Pass was third party characters, and Three Houses wasn't released when Smash Ultimate came out)
HOLY ****, that's what I've been arguing for months! Ever since the base game we've had non-fighter spirits of playable characters such as Kaptain K. Rool and the like, but the counter against that was that "oooooh, but those are variations of said characters! It's not actually K. Rool's spirit, there's a difference". Which is fair enough, BUT, there's nothing impeding them from rebranding spirits by adding their origin game/series in parenthesis to their names. We already had base spirits with that naming format, like Ganondorf (Twilight Princess) for example, but not any precedent of a spirit being renamed in DLC. Still, I always stood by the thought that it'd be very reasonable and even expected really, to do so in case a spirit character became one of our DLC fighters. I could always easily see current spirits being renamed to things like Bandana Dee (Return to Dreamland), Shantae (Half Genie Hero), and yes, Geno (Super Mario RPG). And my god, it actually happened!

It might be a bit silly of mine to be celebrating this hard over such a small thing, especially since it's not even a playable character that made a necessity for this name change. But the important thing is, the precedent is now there! They WILL be renaming already existing spirits in future patches if need be. And of course, if say, a certain blue puppet is by any chance one of the 6 FP2 fighters, a measly little text under his png in the game isn't gonna be a roadblock for him at all. So basically what I'm saying is SPIRITS DON'T DECONFIRM AND GENO IS COMING, LADS!:drflip::drflip::drflip:

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'm guessing there will be a general direct the first two weeks of February with a focus on Animal Crossing. Or there won't be a focus on Animal Crossing and it will get it's own direct later. A smash reveal might happen but it's not guaranteed.

Do you think it's possible the next reveals might be similar to Byleth's in terms of structure?

bomamba

Smash Cadet
HOLY ****, that's what I've been arguing for months! Ever since the base game we've had non-fighter spirits of playable characters such as Kaptain K. Rool and the like, but the counter against that was that "oooooh, but those are variations of said characters! It's not actually K. Rool's spirit, there's a difference". Which is fair enough, BUT, there's nothing impeding them from rebranding spirits by adding their origin game/series in parenthesis to their names. We already had base spirits with that naming format, like Ganondorf (Twilight Princess) for example, but not any precedent of a spirit being renamed in DLC. Still, I always stood by the thought that it'd be very reasonable and even expected really, to do so in case a spirit character became one of our DLC fighters. I could always easily see current spirits being renamed to things like Bandana Dee (Return to Dreamland), Shantae (Half Genie Hero), and yes, Geno (Super Mario RPG). And my god, it actually happened!

It might be a bit silly of mine to be celebrating this hard over such a small thing, especially since it's not even a playable character that made a necessity for this name change. But the important thing is, the precedent is now there! They WILL be renaming already existing spirits in future patches if need be. And of course, if say, a certain blue puppet is by any chance one of the 6 FP2 fighters, a measly little text under his png in the game isn't gonna be a roadblock for him at all. So basically what I'm saying is SPIRITS DON'T DECONFIRM AND GENO IS COMING, LADS!:drflip::drflip::drflip:
ok
so basically
geno is in smash

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The question to ask here isn't "when is the direct coming", its extremely obvious its coming very soon, possibly next week, the question to ask is "Will Smash even show up at all?" These two mini directs seem designed to get stuff out of the way before 2020 game announcements, but I also don't see them waiting until E3 to reveal the character. Its a really weird situation.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
The question to ask here isn't "when is the direct coming", its extremely obvious its coming very soon, possibly next week, the question to ask is "Will Smash even show up at all?" These two mini directs seem designed to get stuff out of the way before 2020 game announcements, but I also don't see them waiting until E3 to reveal the character. Its a really weird situation.
It's absolutely possible we may not get the reveal and we'll have 2 at E3 instead, with DLC 6 coming out almost immediately after E3 and 7 coming before September.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
My guess is that if Fighter 6 isn't shown in the next Direct, it will have its own Smash Direct/presentation in March or April. E3, like you said, would just be too long of a wait without anything inbewteen

But personally, I'm more so betting the next Direct will be it. After the Byleth backlash that they themselves expected to happen, they're in serious need of something to pick us right back up ASAP. Plus, selling FP2 without at least letting us consumers know its first entrant just feels... wrong

MattX20

Smash Hero
After Byleth's rather awful reception, I get the feeling Nintendo would want the first one of the second Fighter Pass sooner rather than later. Letting the kind of negativity over Byleth stew for more than a month would not help it in the slightest. At least Joker was a good buffer for the 2 E3 reveals. And while Geno would have some detractors/hate if he were the next reveal, it would still undeniably go over much better in the long run

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
But personally, I'm more so betting the next Direct will be it. After the Byleth backlash that they themselves expected to happen, they're in serious need of something to pick us right back up ASAP. Plus, selling FP2 without at least letting us consumers know its first entrant just feels... wrong
After Byleth's rather awful reception, I get the feeling Nintendo would want the first one of the second Fighter Pass sooner rather than later. Letting the kind of negativity over Byleth stew for more than a month would not help it in the slightest. At least Joker was a good buffer for the 2 E3 reveals. And while Geno would have some detractors/hate, it would still undeniably go over much better in the long run
Yeah true, these aren't bad points. Who knows, maybe we'll have a direct next week.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
My guess is that if Fighter 6 isn't shown in the next Direct, it will have its own Smash Direct/presentation in March or April. E3, like you said, would just be too long of a wait without anything inbewteen

And they admitted that character 6 was done. So combine all that and Nintendo would look really dumb PR-wise to hold off. Didn't help that they dragged their feet with Byleth's reveal.

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Given that Joker was announced at the VGAs, and Hero wasn't announced until the following E3, I wouldn't rule out a similar scenario happening with FP6. If that is the case, then I hope they at least give us another double reveal at E3.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I believe Sakurai mentioned in the Byleth Presentation that it may be some time before we get FP6, but I don't believe that has anything to do with when we'll learn about them. As such, I think there's a good chance we'll get a Smash reveal this coming Direct, with the release/presentation coming by late April/early May, which will certainly be a long while after Byleth's release.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Given that Joker was announced at the VGAs, and Hero wasn't announced until the following E3, I wouldn't rule out a similar scenario happening with FP6. If that is the case, then I hope they at least give us another double reveal at E3.
The difference with that Gap though is that we had two character releases between announcements. With this we'd be sitting around for over 4 months with NOTHING hapenning.

And they admitted that character 6 was done. So combine all that and Nintendo would look really dumb PR-wise to hold off. Didn't help that they dragged their feet with Byleth's reveal.
Why do people keep saying 6 is done? What is the source for this?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I believe Sakurai mentioned in the Byleth Presentation that it may be some time before we get FP6, but I don't believe that has anything to do with when we'll learn about them. As such, I think there's a good chance we'll get a Smash reveal this coming Direct, with the release/presentation coming by late April/early May, which will certainly be a long while after Byleth's release.
That, and the video for Byleth was admitted to be recorded in November. Even if the character weren't ready to be released, they could still do the reveal trailer and boom.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
About the evidence for Spirits possibly not disconfirming as @Megadoomer posted, back before that was posted, both sides on whether Spirits disconfirming or not had little evidence, if any for their claims. For those who believe Spirits do not disconfirm, we just received an extra bit of evidence on our side, don't you guys think?
Yes actually. I've made the joke before that I imagine some people in this thread walking around with the longest arms in the world due to all the collective reaching here. The term "evidence" is used far too liberally here for my taste. But this information is actual evidence that something like this has happened and therefore COULD happen in the case of Geno. Unfortunately this evidence doesnt necessarily point to Geno but it absolutely helps his case.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yes actually. I've made the joke before that I imagine some people in this thread walking around with the longest arms in the world due to all the collective reaching here. The term "evidence" is used far too liberally here for my taste. But this information is actual evidence that something like this has happened and therefore COULD happen in the case of Geno. Unfortunately this evidence doesnt necessarily point to Geno but it absolutely helps his case.
Of course. But, as you know, the biggest nail in the coffin for detractors' arguments would have to be if Geno himself, or some other Spirit character or maybe even an Assist Trophy character, becomes playable, or maybe a strong hint of some kind that indicate they are coming (which is not exactly the nail in the coffin as an actual reveal, but close to it).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Yeah, I was thinking they pushed back the Direct for some reason as well. Such a shame, isn't it?
Maybe they thought Sakurai and Pokémon (but who cares) taking up January was enough and they wanted more for Feb since... Well nothing is coming out for Feb, is it?

It just spaces them out a bit, gives Byleth some breathing room, and adds something else to Feb besides Pokémon Home...

...crazy idea actually, what if the Sakurai video was supposed to be in December (since that would be more accurate to the rest of the DLC of the length of time between reveal and release), but for whatever reason, that's what got delayed, so they delayed the general direct as well?

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Of course. But, as you know, the biggest nail in the coffin for detractors' arguments would have to be if Geno himself, or some other Spirit character or maybe even an Assist Trophy character, becomes playable, or maybe a strong hint of some kind that indicate they are coming (which is not exactly the nail in the coffin as an actual reveal, but close to it).
Yes that is certainly the case. Until detractors are caught in their own web of certainty of the uncertain, they will always find a way to negate any point that is made in favor of anything they disagree with whether they actually disagree with it or just plain want to be contrary.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Maybe they thought Sakurai and Pokémon (but who cares) taking up January was enough and they wanted more for Feb since... Well nothing is coming out for Feb, is it?

It just spaces them out a bit, gives Byleth some breathing room, and adds something else to Feb besides Pokémon Home...

...crazy idea actually, what if the Sakurai video was supposed to be in December (since that would be more accurate to the rest of the DLC of the length of time between reveal and release), but for whatever reason, that's what got delayed, so they delayed the general direct as well?
Yeah, but if anything, that possible Direct was still supposed to happen in January, and the SNES controller thing was supposed to be shown in terms of news in January, and assuming it was tied to the Direct or was part of the Direct; well; I have reason to believe that the Pokemon Direct and the Smash reveal had not much to do with the delay of the Direct from January to February. Maybe a little, but not by much, as in there was possibly another reason to it.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
... So my guy probably was right but they pushed the Direct back for some unknown reason... Nintendo... Why?

View attachment 260343
My theory is that they added something in rather than taking something out. Directs aren’t live. They’re all pre-recorded so a singular (or even multiple) game or DLC announcement being delayed wouldn’t heavily affect when they’d put out a Direct. It’d be as easy as simply editing that section out. Adding something in would mean recording new footage and voice over stuff along with editing it in.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yes that is certainly the case. Until detractors are caught in their own web of certainty of the uncertain, they will always find a way to negate any point that is made in favor of anything they disagree with whether they actually disagree with it or just plain want to be contrary.
I'd say those detractors are trying to hang on to believing that they are right, which won't do them much good, since they are literally only hanging by a thread, if you know what I mean. Something tells me if things go our way and a Spirit character like Geno is revealed, even before then, even before we know, those detractors may not last much longer.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I'd say those detractors are trying to hang on to believing that they are right, which won't do them much good, since they are literally only hanging by a thread, if you know what I mean. Something tells me if things go our way and a Spirit character like Geno is revealed, even before then, even before we know, those detractors may not last much longer.
I'd kill for a Spirit, Assist Trophy, and Indie to be in FP2. Break ALL the rules! <insert Allie Brosh's meme here>

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'd kill for a Spirit, Assist Trophy, and Indie to be in FP2. Break ALL the rules! <insert Allie Brosh's meme here>
Then the detractors will have to learn that making up fan rules will not help their case, since those rules are capable of being broken. Chances are, though, they won't learn, but it won't help them to keep trying with those fan rules, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom