• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
GUYS GUYS I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING HUGE!

Smash is coming out in december. the month of christmas. Smash is like our christmas present.

The Grinch actually stole christmas!

View attachment 172101View attachment 172102

Our Glimer of Hope for the leak to be true. This the sprout from Isaac in Golden Sun.

If this indeed confirmed Isaac, hopefully the Grinch leak is more valid.
looked up the video that had this item in it and just.... dude that is nuts. not even considering the Grinch leak this makes me think we're getting Isaac. having this as an item seems weird and out of place if Isaac isn't in as a character.

We could legit be getting both Isaac and Geno together! we can be the new Ridley and K. Rool Bros!

Last edited:

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
This thread is lit. It's so hard to keep up with everyone's posts. Dat banner leak though. Seems too good to be true, but I'd like it to be true!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sakurai said to expect fewer characters. 10 newcomers is fewer than any game in the series. If you include the echo characters, Brawl and Smash 4 still had more.

Sakurai said reveals would be slowing down. A single big reveal with all these characters would make one reveal in 2-3 months.
My biggest issue with that is it ignores the fact that they brought back characters who couldn’t be easily ported from Smash 4, so I think you absolutely have to treat those as newcomers from a developmental standpoint regardless of how much you want to or not.

Ice Climbers were supposedly working in the Wii U version, so I’m willing to give a sort of pass to them. Working doesn’t mean ready for the game necessarily, but they probably got the most work of prior veterans.

Snake, Wolf, Young Link, Pichu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur most definitely do not get that advantage. Those are six newcomers in all reality, or rather additions from Smash 4. And they change the nature of the game significantly.

We have five unique and four brand new Echo fighters, while Echo fighters are undoubtedly counted as newcomers who don’t take a ton of work. Adding the six returning veterans who didn’t have any presence in the Wii U game (to our knowledge at least) already puts us up at 11 additions. So one or two more and we’ll be right at Melee and Smash 4 for unique additions (at least those numbered characters). Adding in potentially five or six Echoes would then mean we have the most additions of any Smash game from the past.

And while I know the returning veterans already exist in concept, Sakurai seems to develop concepts pretty quickly from his past comments. I don’t think the issue in development comes from thinking of a unique move set, I think it comes from the development time needed to fully realize that character, so a unique veteran is of comparable work to a full newcomer I imagine.

That’s all to say; this is why I doubt us getting several more newcomers. We already have 16 additions from Smash 4 to Ultimate counting all the previously absent returning veterans, the Echo fighters, and the full unique newcomers. With all of the additional tweaking and content in the game, he’s already done so much. My prediction has been, for some time, two more Echo fighters and two more unique. That would put us at 20 additions, which is then rivaling Smash 4 AFTER DLC for characters added. That would also put us at 13 new characters which is comparable to Melee since Melee undoubtedly counts all of the clones.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
The Grinch leak seems to have some more "pluses" to it with the Isaac item. Still being cautious, but that adds to the evidence...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like I said in the actual leak thread, this kind of boils down to thinking Sakurai adding four fan favorites in the 11th hour is totally unbelievable despite Shadow and Geno being heavily implied by a number of leakers. That said, it boils down to... 2, Isaac and Banjo. Like... What's the big deal? For it to be totally fake you'd have to buy into a massive conspiracy that makes this the biggest hoax in gaming history. I'm pretty sure Geno's fine either way based on what we know.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There seems to be evidence for Banjo. Banjo's, Isaac, Mach rider all had trademarks renewed recently.

Banjo's seems to have been renewed by Nintendo strangely.

Grinch could end up being true

link2702

Smash Champion
There seems to be evidence for Banjo. Banjo's, Isaac, Mach rider all had trademarks renewed recently.

...? How could nintendo even renew banjo since rare is owned by Microsoft...? Wouldn’t it be Microsoft renewing the trademark?

...unless.....

OMG BK NOW OWNED BY NINTENDO AGAIN OMGOMGOMG

I wish...

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Just saw a pretty good new Grinch pic and not sure of it was posted here.
It makes me kinda sad that Kazooie isn't included in any of these images.

How does that work?

Do companies normally renew trademarks for 3rd party characters appearing in their crossovers?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Not that I doubt you but do you have a source for Banjo? I seen it for Isaac (Golden Sun's was renewed two years early to boot) and Mach Rider. Hmm... Smash would be an obvious conclusion but so would a hypothetical Nintendo 64 Classic too.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Banjo’s trademarks was registered by Nintendo on September 7th. I am sorry Team Fake, but this is where you and I part ways. With all the renewals matching up to this leak I think it’s a pretty safe bet at this point.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
yeah seriously can we get a source on that? because that is nuts if Nintendo renewed a banjo copyright! like even if it's just for the N64 that is a shock because I wouldn't have expected to get banjo for that thing!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's still something. And why else would Nintendo do this unless they had something planned for them?
Thing is, there's nothing saying Nintendo did do it. They're only listed under History, so they may very well not be part of it, as the history thing implies that they were once an owner, not a partner.

In fact, there's nothing about partners anywhere on the page; however, this trademark was filed the same month or within a close timespan with Mach Rider, Golden Sun, and Rhythm Heaven.

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Thing is, there's nothing saying Nintendo did do it. They're only listed under History, so they may very well not be part of it, as the history thing implies that they were once an owner, not a partner.

In fact, there's nothing about partners anywhere on the page.
This may be true, but if you look at the fact that most of the other IPs in this leak were also recently renewed...

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Rare may want to keep the IP alive since Smash could give a good boost to BK name to raise popularity again to try and make another game ... a good one maybe.

link2702

Smash Champion
Rare may want to keep the IP alive since Smash could give a good boost to BK name to raise popularity again to try and make another game ... a good one maybe.
As far as I know modern rare has zero interest in reviving bk, I don’t think that is likely to change even if they get in smash. They didn’t even give them a proper 20th anniversary iirc. They put a mediocre looking bear and bird ship head in their new pirate game as free dlc and that was it iirc.

Tbh though I’d rather modern rare not try to revive em. Let us just continue to cherish the memory of them on n64.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
As far as I know modern rare has zero interest in reviving bk, I don’t think that is likely to change even if they get in smash. They didn’t even give them a proper 20th anniversary iirc. They put a mediocre looking bear and bird ship head in their new pirate game as free dlc and that was it iirc.

Tbh though I’d rather modern rare not try to revive em. Let us just continue to cherish the memory of them on n64.
They have released merchandise; a totaku figure alongside Conker, and a plush toy. There's also the First Four figure or whatever it was.

Though that's still pretty much all they've released (seems good imo though).

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
TIME FOR GENO TO SHINE! We have found the greatest counterargument from the back ground. Looks like the GRINCH LIVES AND GENO HAS THE CHANCE!

Thanks NoPLo NoPLo !
Here is what he's said:

It has been a while since I posted here helping with the ESRB leak from Smash 3DS. Hi everybody :p

So here's something you can try with the background if you have photoshop, and understand what happens to the image because of the low quality and artifacts caused by the recording.

Let's compare the clean background with the leaked background. Look at the spots marked in red, which are (at least to me) the most suspicious spots in the image.
image01.png

Now, let's apply a filter to the clean background: Filter > Noise > Median.

See what happens to the waterfalls if I increase the value of the filter:
1540588888166.png

The waterfall from the right tends to dissapear, just like in the leaked image.

And this is what happens to the castle area:

1540588755965.png

Doesn't it look a lot more like the leaked image? I just played with the "median" filter in photoshop, that's all. You can try!

So, yeah... My point is that we have been look at the same exact background all the time, but it has been severely modified because of quality and artifacts stuff. Don't forget we are looking at the screenshot of a video in motion of a draft print.

(If you want the same result, apply Median 19 for the waterfalls and Median 28 for the castle area).

Attachments

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Alright, I'm convinced. Between the trademark renewals, the mural itself, and the ungodly amount of assumptions one would have to make to believe this is all one giant galaxy-brain conspiracy... I can't help but think this is legit. Unless we see a solid debunk in the coming weeks, which I'm doubtful of, I'm committing myself to Team Real. At this point, if the leak really is a hoax, I will be incredibly impressed.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Over on the Discord, a lot of people were freaking out over the trademarks. Now by itself, they don't really amount to anything, but when you look at everything...

May 11, 2018 - Mach Rider Trademark renewal
May 13, 2018 - SMRPG Tweet #TeamGeno
August 24, 2018
- Golden Sun Trademark renewal
August 24, 2018 - Rhythm Heaven Trademark renewal
September 7, 2018 - Banjo-Kazooie Trademark renewal

Weird that all 5 of these characters show up in the leak and all 5 have had some form of renewal or recognition this year, especially given their history. (Rhythm Heaven would be the only one that really makes sense, since it's an ongoing franchise right now.)

Also, isn't it odd that Ken and Shadow, who have no evidence related to this, already have their franchises in Smash? You could argue Geno is bundled with the Mario characters, but his third-party attributes still stand.

There are many, many things lining up for this leak, and it's getting to the point where I would have to commend the leaker greatly if this turns out to be fake.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Vaan is really trying to shut down the blessing noplo made

He’s claiming that he’s destroying it

He’s not he’s just editing as if it was a motion photo with blurryness and lighting issues

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Over on the Discord, a lot of people were freaking out over the trademarks. Now by itself, they don't really amount to anything, but when you look at everything...

August 24, 2018

Weird that all 5 of these characters show up in the leak and all 5 have had some form of renewal or recognition this year, especially given their history. (Rhythm Heaven would be the only one that really makes sense, since it's an ongoing franchise right now.)

Also, isn't it odd that Ken and Shadow, who have no evidence related to this, already have their franchises in Smash? You could argue Geno is bundled with the Mario characters, but his third-party attributes still stand.

There are many, many things lining up for this leak, and it's getting to the point where I would have to commend the leaker greatly if this turns out to be fake.
You should show that to some other threads, those trademarks are pretty enlightening.

TBone06

Smash Ace

August 24, 2018

To play devil's advocate, if this is in fact a very elaborate hoax, this guy simply could have looked at all of these and decided to base his leaks off of these. Not that I think this is the case, I do think where there is smoke there is fire, but if this isn't true, he clearly put in a lot of effort and I wouldn't discredit the fact he could have used this as a basis. I do think there is some truth to this leak, I just want to be objective.

What a time to be a Smash fan!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Remember to hype responsibly, everyone. It's good to be excited because this major leak could mean Geno is in.

But you don't want to have a major crash if it fails. I know some people were kind of devastated after Sassy Geno was fake.

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
So, I've been offline for the past few days (might have been playing too much Zelda Twilight princess), and I've been hearing a lot of news about.... the Grinch and smash brothers??? Apparently there's another leak that has something to do with the Grinch, and people are believing it, could someone just give me a quick update on what this Grinch thing is?

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think I'm just going to mainly stick around in the Geno thread for now on. Don't like all the leak discussions going on. Lot of nasty fighting going on. You point out the fighting, and people try to drag you into the fight by calling you out for pretty much nothing. You try to contribute to the discussion and people just throw out some wise-cracking comments and insults to bash your opinion and feed their ever-expanding ego. I don't see these types of debates too much here, but it's still here, and the Geno thread is pretty chill so I think I'll set up camp and stay here. I could just be a baby cause you know it's the internet so people can do and say whatever they want, but I already got enough negativity in my life and I don't need the last place I go to chill out to swarm me with negativity as well.

Last edited:

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
I think I'm just going to mainly stick around in the Geno thread for now on. Don't like all the leak discussions going on. Lot of nasty fighting going on. You point out the fighting, and people try to drag you into the fight by calling you out for pretty much nothing. You try to contribute to the discussion and people just throw out some wise-cracking comments and insults to bash your opinion and feed their ever-expanding ego. I don't see these types of debates too much here, but it's still here, and the Geno thread is pretty chill so I think I'll set up camp and stay here. I could just be a baby cause you know it's the internet so people can do and say whatever they want, but I already got enough negativity in my life and I don't need the last place I go to chill out to swarm me with negativity as well.

I think we have generally been pretty chill even in the midst of this. Part of the reason i have enjoyed being a part of this thread. It's ok to just hang here if you need to fellow genobro.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I posted in the Smash leak discussion thread basically saying "hey, y'all gotta chill a little" because people were going super hard on their "proof" and this and that. And I got a response that roughly translates to "you're opinion doesn't matter, you're part of the Mother 3 fanbase that begged Nintendo 10 years for the game and did the same thing we're doing", meanwhile I wasn't apart of that at all lol.

Am I wrong for thinking that the leak can't be proved 100% real or false, cause everyone seems to think it can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom