• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's honestly kind of cool that not only is Geno a third party Mario character but a third party Mario spin-off character that hasn't been playable in almost 24 years but people actively want and have wanted in Smash for two decades. Like, ****... Just think of how much of an anomaly that is. It threads the needle in a way that no other character has. Geno's incredibly unique in that regard.

Last edited:

castinets98

Smash Cadet
Doesn't the scope of these three pieces of criteria just naturally cover almost every third party in existence anyway with how broad that is? If a character just has to fit one to be "in the pattern," then you could have almost anybody for the last fighter and have it still work lol.
I think we could revise the categories to add a little bit of a specificity to them though:

Category 1: Geno, Banjo and Bayonetta type third parties: These are third parties on a technicality. They don't belong to Nintendo but their reason for being considered has a lot to do with their proximity to / prior ownership by Nintendo. Other than our boy Geno, another example of this would be Travis (or, if I'm feeling charitable, Kos-Mos)

Category 2: Third parties owned by companies with a long history of business deals with Nintendo. These are obvious and the most common. Namco, Capcom, Square, Konami, Sega, etc, etc. This is the reason most third parties get in.

Category 3: Fighting game third parties. These are the ones most likely to have previously crossed-over into other games because crossovers are a fighting game convention. Capcom is pretty much the father of the crossover fighter, so all of their characters tend to end up in this category, as does Terry and, if they ever get in, Ryu, Heihachi, Nightmare, Yoshimitsu. I would say Guilty Gear is the only major fighting game series to be spiritually opposed to crossovers.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
It's honestly kind of cool that not only is Geno a third party Mario character but a third party Mario spin-off character that hasn't been playable in almost 24 years but people actively want and have wanted in Smash for two decades. Like, ****... Just think of how much of an anomaly that is. It threads the needle in a way that no other character has. Geno's incredibly unique in that regard.
It speaks to the character’s iconic status honestly, he’s really unique. I can’t think of any one off character that even compares in terms of following.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Doesn't the scope of these three pieces of criteria just naturally cover almost every third party in existence anyway with how broad that is? If a character just has to fit one to be "in the pattern," then you could have almost anybody for the last fighter and have it still work lol.
This is just it super simplified. I could go through each and every example and talk about why it's interesting but I guess taking a simple talking point and breaking its neck on introduction is fine too...

castinets98

Smash Cadet
It speaks to the character’s iconic status honestly, he’s really unique. I can’t think of any one off character that even compares in terms of following.
The only others I can think of that come close are Crono and Lucas.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think we could revise the categories to add a little bit of a specificity to them though:

Category 1: Geno, Banjo and Bayonetta type third parties: These are third parties on a technicality. They don't belong to Nintendo but their reason for being considered has a lot to do with their proximity to / prior ownership by Nintendo. Other than our boy Geno, another example of this would be Travis (or, if I'm feeling charitable, Kos-Mos)

Category 2: Third parties owned by companies with a long history of business deals with Nintendo. These are obvious and the most common. Namco, Capcom, Square, Konami, Sega, etc, etc. This is the reason most third parties get in.

Category 3: Fighting game third parties. These are the ones most likely to have previously crossed-over into other games because crossovers are a fighting game convention. Capcom is pretty much the father of the crossover fighter, so all of their characters tend to end up in this category, as does Terry and, if they ever get in, Ryu, Heihachi, Nightmare, Yoshimitsu. I would say Guilty Gear is the only major fighting game series to be spiritually opposed to crossovers.
Doesn't category 2 just cover all third parties still except for like Bethesda, and even then, they're going on 3 solid years of Switch support?

And Joker has become a fairly big crossover star in his own right despite not being a fighting game character, so I think "crossover characters" in general was more appropriate lol.

This is just it super simplified. I could go through each and every example and talk about why it's interesting but I guess taking a simple talking point and breaking its neck on introduction is fine too...
I suppose I didn't really get the point you were trying to make since those were pretty broad criteria you originally proposed that covered a ton of third party ground that basically excluded like Valve and Sony.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
I know someone here posted about Nintendo may even throw a curve ball and give us a PC Character. What do you guys think of that? Im down for a Dawn of War character or any other PC based maybe a LoL character ( would be pretty smart move tbh). On another note GENO for DLC #7 or sooner. pl0x. :)

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
The only others I can think of that come close are Crono and Lucas.
That’s the craziest thing about it, those are both main protagonists. Geno is a single party member from a 20 year old Mario spinoff, and he’s held at the same level as main characters from some of the most legendary games of all time.

Firox

Smash Master
Remember when you said that Geno was the most likely character for post pass?

If you are using Fatman as evidence for him, your argument against Vergeben and Sabi is completely invalid.
I'm not in the slightest. To be totally honest, I don't value Fatman's word any more than the other "leakers". And I don't have to. As I said, there is ACTUAL evidence supporting Geno. We've discussed them ad nausiem but I'll summarize one more time:

-Sakurai's own past statements favoring Geno
-Geno's missing Mii Costume
-The Mii costume's splash screen
-The fact that Geno even HAD a mii costume which is more than I can say for anyone on your list
-The Mii Costume leak hinting at Smithy and Mallow
-The Cacomallow leak which supports the above Mii costume leak
-The suspicious taking down of SMRPG music on Youtube

There's even more, but these are the biggest ones I can think of that point to Geno. NO ONE on your list can boast ANY of these things except maybe Dovahkin if you want to tie him to the Cacodemon costume, but then again, you could just as easily say it applies to Doomslayer. My point is, Geno has the most actual evidence thus far to support him regardless of what the gutless leakers say. If any of them were worth their salt, they'd grow a big hairy pair and just SAY who they think it is instead of playing hide the ball to protect their precious, ill-gotten e-cred. As far as I'm concerned, they'll ALL full of it until proven otherwise. It just so happens that Fatman is betting on the same horse I am.

castinets98

Smash Cadet
Doesn't category 2 just cover all third parties still except for like Bethesda, and even then, they're going on 3 solid years of Switch support?

And Joker has become a fairly big crossover star in his own right despite not being a fighting game character, so I think "crossover characters" in general was more appropriate lol.

I suppose I didn't really get the point you were trying to make since those were pretty broad criteria you originally proposed that covered a ton of third party ground that basically excluded like Valve and Sony.
I suppose the point is really just to highlight two exceptions to the third party rule (ie Cat 2) characters who aren't really 3rd parties (and, as such, can have 1st party logic applied to them. So Geno only has to be as relevant as Rosalina or Greninja) and characters who have a tendency to jump the line relative to a company's normal priorities (fighters and, sure, other crossover type guys like Joker).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Firox Firox

I feel like Dragonborn has more going for him than insider stuff (especially since I seem to be the only one hard settled on him).

-Skyrim was a launch title for the Switch and was one of the first third party games flat out announced for it

-Skyrim was openly featured in not only the Switch's introduction in October 2016 but during it's launch presentation in January 2017

-Skyrim was game of the year for 2011

-As of spring 2019, Skyrim has sold over 30 million copies worldwide, putting it in the top 10 best selling games ever.

-Skyrim is one of the few Western games to get a perfect 40/40 in Famitsu

-Skyrim Switch had Legend of Zelda content

-Holy hell, SO many awards...

-Fits Power of Six theory (theme of remaining Mii costumes is overwhelmingly medieval fantasy RPG swordsmen with armor and helmets: Lloyd, Gil, Monster Hunter, and Rathalos)

-Fits Power of Two theory (very heavily implied that 5's Smash 4 DLC Mii costume pairing will be Monster Hunter and Rathalos)

-Produced a buttload of memes, some we're still using almost a decade later

-Bethesda has not so subtly said it has talked to Nintendo about Smash Bros multiple times

In short, he's hard slept on.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Firox Firox

I feel like Dragonborn has more going for him than insider stuff (especially since I seem to be the only one hard settled on him).

-Skyrim was a launch title for the Switch and was one of the first third party games flat out announced for it

-Skyrim was openly featured in not only the Switch's introduction in October 2016 but during it's launch presentation in January 2017

-As of spring 2019, Skyrim has sold over 30 million copies worldwide

-Fits Power of Six theory (theme of remaining Mii costumes is overwhelmingly medieval fantasy RPG swordsmen with armor and helmets: Lloyd, Gil, Monster Hunter, and Rathalos)

-Fits Power of Two theory (very heavily implied that 5's Smash 4 DLC Mii costume pairing will be Monster Hunter and Rathalos)

-Bethesda has not so subtly said it has talked to Nintendo about Smash Bros multiple times

Funnily enough, I called Dragonborn ALL the way back in April. I'll be very amused if it turns out I was right

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
When Dragonborn is your most wanted after Geno and people are finally starting to take him seriously as a potential DLC character...

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I'm sure Fatman loves it when GameXplain Jon is cheeky, but I just noticed that a video of GameXplain's put out a few days ago almost directly references the "indie announcement" rumor from like a month ago that both Fat and PapaGenos shared. And who brings it up in the discussion itself? Why none other than Jon.

Firox

Smash Master
Firox Firox

-As of spring 2019, Skyrim has sold over 30 million copies worldwide

Thanks for the rundown, but nobody (that I know of) is questioning Skyrim's notoriety, but rather it's connective relevance to Smash itself which none of the above points address.

Couldn't this just as easily be applied to Lloyd or Monster hunter themselves? The Monster Hunter franchise is pretty huge as well and I feel is also very slept on.

Where was this implied? I don't recall what the "Power of Two" theory is. Though the key word "theory" is interesting.

Irrelevant. If memes were all it takes to get into Smash, Waluigi would have been added long ago.

Two things with this. Firstly, what did they say exactly? I'm honestly curious. Secondly, if they've had to hint multiple times, it doesn't sound like negotiations are going very well. Plus, there have been all kinds of vague hints by various devs but it's often more to gain attention for themselves than actually leak anything substantial. I see your points and I won't deny that Dovahkin has a chance, but I also detect a fair amount of bias as well. Not that I don't have mine, but I just wanted to point out the difference between hard evidence VS pure deduction.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I'm sure Fatman loves it when GameXplain Jon is cheeky, but I just noticed that a video of GameXplain's put out a few days ago almost directly references the "indie announcement" rumor from like a month ago that both Fat and PapaGenos shared. And who brings it up in the discussion itself? Why none other than Jon.
What do you mean by “indie announcement”?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I'm not in the slightest. To be totally honest, I don't value Fatman's word any more than the other "leakers". And I don't have to. As I said, there is ACTUAL evidence supporting Geno. We've discussed them ad nausiem but I'll summarize one more time:

-Sakurai's own past statements favoring Geno
-Geno's missing Mii Costume
-The Mii costume's splash screen
-The fact that Geno even HAD a mii costume which is more than I can say for anyone on your list
-The Mii Costume leak hinting at Smithy and Mallow
-The Cacomallow leak which supports the above Mii costume leak
-The suspicious taking down of SMRPG music on Youtube

There's even more, but these are the biggest ones I can think of that point to Geno. NO ONE on your list can boast ANY of these things except maybe Dovahkin if you want to tie him to the Cacodemon costume, but then again, you could just as easily say it applies to Doomslayer. My point is, Geno has the most actual evidence thus far to support him regardless of what the gutless leakers say. If any of them were worth their salt, they'd grow a big hairy pair and just SAY who they think it is instead of playing hide the ball to protect their precious, ill-gotten e-cred. As far as I'm concerned, they'll ALL full of it until proven otherwise. It just so happens that Fatman is betting on the same horse I am.

There is a lot to dissect here, but I’ll just go some of the points you have made.

-Chocobo is also missing a Mii Costume as well. I guess its a frontrunner for post pass too?
-Cacomallow has proven to be possible to fake. And even if it is real, it doesn’t guarantee a playable Doom Slayer or Geno
-If Sakurai really thought of Geno as a high priority to be playable, he wouldn’t have gotten a Spirit in the base game. He would be playable right now, instead of Hero.

The only real suspicious thing you mentioned are the takedowns. But if everything you said checks out, they could easily come with both a hypothetical Geno and Mallow costume.

And I am sorry to say, but in my eyes, Spirits are a major strike against any possible DLC candidate.

You aren’t going to mention “Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies” are you? Because Spirit battles are completely different, in which they actually are elements in gameplay.

Until proven otherwise, I’m fully backing the notion that they are likely death sentences to the character in question.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There is a lot to dissect here, but I’ll just go some of the points you have made.

-Chocobo is also missing a Mii Costume as well. I guess its a frontrunner for post pass too?
-Cacomallow has proven to be possible to fake. And even if it is real, it doesn’t guarantee a playable Doom Slayer or Geno
-If Sakurai really thought of Geno as a high priority to be playable, he wouldn’t have gotten a Spirit in the base game. He would be playable right now, instead of Hero.

The only real suspicious thing you mentioned are the takedowns. But if everything you said checks out, they could easily come with both a hypothetical Geno and Mallow costume.

And I am sorry to say, but in my eyes, Spirits are a major strike against any possible DLC candidate.

You aren’t going to mention “Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies” are you? Because Spirit battles are completely different, in which they actually are elements in gameplay.

Until proven otherwise, I’m fully backing the notion that they are likely death sentences to the character in question.
Of course, another “SpIriTs DeCoNfIrM” argument....
Also Chocobo is a weak comparison compared to Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master

The first point with Chocobo is just a careless strawman argument. You can't compare it to Geno (though you could argue that Chocobo's disappearance actually SUPPORTS Geno, or at very least another SE rep).

As for your other points, ForsakenM and Fatman have talked about the timing of the DLC passes and when their characters would have been decided. It's possible that Geno was not originally planned for as DLC, however, the advent of a second (or possibly third) pass has drastically improved Geno's chances as evidenced by his costume missing and the "6 Mii Costumes" theory (see Fatman's essay which I assume you haven't read given your ignorance on the subject). It makes sense that Hero would be released before Geno because his franchise represents the second most famous SE IP beside Final Fantasy, however his release didn't include Chocobo either which supports the chances of us getting at least one more SE rep (Geno says hi).

As for the Cacomallow leak, I find it funny that you would try to shoot it down when the Cacodemon itself is the best hard evidence you have right now in favor of Dovahkin (or Doomslayer). Also, I've seen multiple attempts to replicate the leak, and while some people have demonstrated aspects of it, I've yet to see a full reproduction. If you have one, by all means give me the source. Either way, the evidence we have so far for Geno is still relatively more with regards to Smash than any other candidate we know of right now.

As for your complete lack of faith in spirits getting upgraded?.....I won't even dignify that with a response. It's just not worth the effort.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The first point with Chocobo is just a careless strawman argument. You can't compare it to Geno (though you could argue that Chocobo's disappearance actually SUPPORTS Geno, or at very least another SE rep).

As for your other points, ForsakenM and Fatman have talked about the timing of the DLC passes and when their characters would have been decided. It's possible that Geno was not originally planned for as DLC, however, the advent of a second (or possibly third) pass has drastically improved Geno's chances as evidenced by his costume missing and the "6 Mii Costumes" theory (see Fatman's essay which I assume you haven't read given your ignorance on the subject). It makes sense that Hero would be released before Geno because his franchise represents the second most famous SE IP beside Final Fantasy, however his release didn't include Chocobo either which supports the chances of us getting at least one more SE rep (Geno says hi).

As for the Cacomallow leak, I find it funny that you would try to shoot it down when the Cacodemon itself is the best hard evidence you have right now in favor of Dovahkin (or Doomslayer). Also, I've seen multiple attempts to replicate the leak, and while some people have demonstrated aspects of it, I've yet to see a full reproduction. If you have one, by all means give me the source. Either way, the evidence we have so far for Geno is still relatively more with regards to Smash than any other candidate we know of right now.
Not to mention the Mallow and Smithy costumes which looks really likely.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

While I don't agree that spirits deconfirm for post fighter pass characters, I find all of your other posts valid and sort of how I am feeling right now.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Firox Firox

-As of spring 2019, Skyrim has sold over 30 million copies worldwide, putting it in the top 10 best selling games ever.

*Skyrim was not a launch title for Switch, it released in November 2017.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Of course, another “SpIriTs DeCoNfIrM” argument....
Also Chocobo is a weak comparison compared to Geno.
“I didn’t like what he said about Spirits, time to dismiss his entire argument!”

And the point about Chocobo is that if people on this thread are using a missing Mii costume as hard evidence for their most wanted, then Chocobo is just as likely.

D

Deleted member

>*Smash splash screen*
>We see Mario and Sonic racing in their karts
>The camera stops around a dark corner
>In the dark corner, some lights from what seems to be a car light up
>The camera goes back to Mario and Sonic
>Suddenly a hard to differentiate silluette of the figure from the dark corner messes with their attention on the race and makes them fall off their karts during a jump
>They fall on the ground, and look in front of them to see who was that figure

49A1F3E5-CB3D-4A53-B83A-114508296FA9.jpeg

TriggerX

Smash Ace

Correct me if I'm wrong here, because I honestly cant recall since its been awhile since Ive played this game. However, dont all the playable characters have spirits anyways?

I doubt being a spirit deconfirms a character if this is true. Besides Geno being a spirit in game already compliments his original narrative. If he was originally a thought for Brawl, Im sure the developers would be aware of this fact as well.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Hold on!
-Geno getting into Smash not only means that the Mario RPG games get represented as a whole but at the same time it gives Super Mario RPG Legend Of The Seven Stars the recognition it deserves of being the game that started everything
-by making Geno a DLC character it could increase the interest that people have over the character even more and if people like Geno enough they could get motivated to play the original game
-If the fan reaction/response is big enough it could be the little push that was needed for an eventual revival or remake of a certain game...
...Oh, yeah. It's all coming together.
PicsArt_01-08-05.48.09.jpg

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don¨t see how spirit pre-Joker is disconfirming characters post fighter five. I argue that you could make an argument for post-launch spirits that do not arrive with a character, but that is another topic in it of itself

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
This user was warned for engaging in off-topic and unneeded conversations

Wait hold on... do you...
dec.jpg

D

Deleted member

Correct me if I'm wrong here, because I honestly cant recall since its been awhile since Ive played this game. However, dont all the playable characters have spirits anyways?

I doubt being a spirit deconfirms a character if this is true. Besides Geno being a spirit in game already compliments his original narrative. If he was originally a thought for Brawl, Im sure the developers would be aware of this fact as well.
There are fighter spirits. There are also spirits of the same playable characters that can be equipped. Peach in her wedding dress, Mario in his tennis outfit, and Mario stuck in a rock just to name a few.

Last edited by a moderator:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Is it Groundhogs day? I swear, I remember this day going on like this before...Eh maybe its just me.

Now watch as someone comes in with the "But the costumes missed the best possible time to be revealed" Then followed by "But its Dragon Quest." To then be followed by "But 2 spots are missing!!"

Seriously people...Lets drop this. No ones minds are going to be made up. Move on.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

They have what are called “Fighter Spirits”. It is completely different from Geno, Shantae, Bandana Dee, ect.

The latter has its own gameplay element to it. The former doesn’t.

D

Deleted member

They have what are called “Fighter Spirits”. It is completely different from Geno, Shantae, Bandana Dee, ect.

The latter has its own gameplay element to it. The former doesn’t.
So, can't Geno have a fighter spirit? If Sakurai didn't put the Geno spirit and the mii costume still isn't in, people would become more concerned about Geno's status. If the spirit is already in, Geno could have a fighter spirit like Cloud.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
>*Smash splash screen*
>We see Mario and Sonic racing in their karts
>The camera stops around a dark corner
>In the dark corner, some lights from what seems to be a car light up
>The camera goes back to Mario and Sonic
>Suddenly a hard to differentiate silluette of the figure from the dark corner messes with their attention on the race and makes them fall off their karts during a jump
>They fall on the ground, and look in front of them to see who was that figure

As we’ve previously established, Geno and Samus are canon to Transformers, so therefore Transformers are canon to Smash Bros.

It’s basically confirmed, guys.

Firox

Smash Master
“I didn’t like what he said about Spirits, time to dismiss his entire argument!”

And the point about Chocobo is that if people on this thread are using a missing Mii costume as hard evidence for their most wanted, then Chocobo is just as likely.
If you honestly can't tell the difference in legacy, popularity, moveset potential, and Sakurai visibility between Geno and a generic bird creature from Final Fantasy, then there's really no helping you. You've shot your credibility in the head with a 50 caliber bullet and I would honestly be curious as to why your here in the Geno thread campaigning for a character that isn't Geno. I'm not even gatekeeping when I say that you're argument has no place here. Just ask the mods.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

As for your complete lack of faith in spirits getting upgraded?.....I won't even dignify that with a response. It's just not worth the effort.

If you are using the missing Chocobo costume as evidence for Geno, you know that could also easily apply to Sora, 2B, Lara Croft, ect, right? And that would be the perfect time to bring both Costumes back if this did happen.

And I love how you choose not to acknowledge what I consider to be arguably the biggest strike against him, almost as if you are pretending that its not even there in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom