• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
It is dawn, in the Smash world. Mario, Luigi and Peach are having tea while watching the sun rise. Link and Zelda show up, and are greeted merrily. Somewhere in the jungle, DK yawns (again) and watches the light reflect off of K Rool's crown. Back at the tea party, there's a sudden rush of wind and when it settles, Sonic is already seated, grinning as he brings his teacup to his mouth. Everyone laughs until Link gasps, staring out the window. They follow his gaze, and to their horror - the sun has stopped rising, and is sinking back down below the horizon. Everyone rushes outside just in time to see Fox's Arwing crash outside Peach's castle - the pilot jumping out at the last moment, and stumbling as he points to the sky. There is a massive hourglass-shaped vessel floating above the world, and as it slowly spins into a horizontal position, a bell rings out and the whole world is covered in the eerie glow of twilight, wisps of darkness rising from the ground as innumerable enemy fighters pour from the Hourglass. Everyone rushes off to join the battle, and as the camera pulls back, a familiar blue-caped figure watches from a cliff, waiting for his chance to reveal himself. Another figure - a dark hedgehog - places his hand on the caped one's shoulder, giving a reassuring nod. The two look back towards a third, unseen fighter, who gives a brief chuckle, before grunting, "Alright. Let's go rip and tear."

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate: World of Dusk
Beautiful. Truly a work of art. Geno, Shadow, and Doomguy as a trio is perfect.
Also I'm secretly Batman Beyond...

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
I'm fairly confident that humanity itself won't exist by the year 3000, let alone Smash Ultimate. lol I'm pretty sure they're talking pages.
Oh, humans are a resilient and stubborn bunch. They've survived for millennia already, and will likely continue to do so.

And yeah, no I meant years. With the way this silence has been stretching on...

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Honestly, in my opinion, speculation in general has been a slog ever since the base game dropped. People just don't know how to speculate for themselves anymore and instead rely on the word of "leakers" and "insiders" to direct thought and discussion, and it just takes all the fun out of it IMO. Remember that 3-6 month period where we basically weren't allowed to discuss any character other than Erdrick and Steve because those were what was hip with "leakers" and in "insider circles" at the time? Wasn't that just fun? This is a pretty big reason why I stopped frequenting this site a few months back (that, and I don't really play Smash anymore); this overreliance on Twitter prophets has just siphoned the life out of speculation to the point that it isn't even fun to speculate anymore. At this point, it feels more worth it to just sit back, grab a mug of joe (or hot chocolate, if you're feeling particularly festive), and wait for the inevitable Fighter 5 reveal and whatever else it brings.
Oh yeah, Geno. He's cool.
DLC speculation has been a mess though, I'll give you that. The pre-E3 scene with the Erdrick acceptance and the Steve vs Banjo debates especially was pretty tiring and easily the lowest we've been in this cycle since the game was announced. And of course, we're not much better off now with the rampant insider deconfirmations for fighter 5.

That said, I think Smash speculation is usually only about as fun as you make it be. If you're around the insider/leaker circlejerk and toxic people, it's obviously gonna end up being a ****fest. Sometimes it seems like it's almost impossible to break free from them because they're so prevalent, but just the possibility we might be off to greener pastures soon is enough to keep me going at times.

Well, um, it'd be awesome if that Geno fella could smash, preferably with the bros, eh?

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
DLC speculation has been a mess though, I'll give you that. The pre-E3 scene with the Erdrick acceptance and the Steve vs Banjo debates especially was pretty tiring and easily the lowest we've been in this cycle since the game was announced. And of course, we're not much better off now with the rampant insider deconfirmations for fighter 5.

That said, I think Smash speculation is usually only about as fun as you make it be. If you're around the insider/leaker circlejerk and toxic people, it's obviously gonna end up being a ****fest. Sometimes it seems like it's almost impossible to break free from them because they're so prevalent, but just the possibility we might be off to greener pastures soon is enough to keep me going at times.

Well, um, it'd be awesome if that Geno fella could smash, preferably with the bros, eh?
Honestly I'm more or less throwing out the deconfirm list from Verg and you-know-who at this point. None of them have been right for the DLC

Verg made Minecraft the hill he died on and only backed Banjo when he gave himself room to wiggle out if it was a bust. No one got Joker, no one got Terry until Nintendo messed up, and Hero was Smash's worst kept secret

As far as I'm concerned, everything they've shot down is back on the table

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, to map things out, the following 3rd party character costumes weren't in the Smash Ultimate base game:

-Tails
-Knuckles
-Chocobo Hat
-Geno
-Zero
-Megaman X
-Protoman
-Megaman Exe
-Akira
-Jacky
-Heihachi
-Gil
-Lloyd
-Monster Hunter
-Rathalos

Following the Power of Six Theory, every Fighter Pass was originally supposed to have 6 Mii costumes total with at least two returning Mii costumes per pack. 15 costumes and 5 passes, making an average of 3. So, let's map this out further:

Joker- Knuckles and Tails (2)
Hero - Geno and Chocobo (2)

Two passes with only two so in order to reach the final 15, we need to fill 11 more spaces across 3 passes so two would have to have four.

Let's navigate the easiest first:

Terry- Akira, Jacky, and Heihachi (3)

All from fighting games so it naturally fits the theme. Now let's go to Banjo.

Given our original theory, Banjo would have to have four. Banjo already has two (Zero and Proto Man) and, conveniently enough, there's two other Megaman Mii costumes (X and EXE).

Banjo- Zero, Protoman, X, and Exe (4)

Thematically they go together. My personal theory is that Rocket Grunt was a replacement because it's the only first party Mii costume in DLC so far.

Now we got to 5 and dump out the remaining 4:

5- Lloyd, Gil, Rathalos, and Monster Hunter

All sword fighters and three have armor and helmets. Seems deliberate. Now let's slam this whole goddamn pizza back together.

Hero- Geno and Chocobo (2)
5- Lloyd, Gil, Rathalos, and Monster Hunter (4)

15 total

This was most likely the original plan when the Fighter's Pass was one and done, however, things have definitely changed.

Hero- Wow, it's ****in' nothing!
Banjo- Zero and Protoman (2)
Terry- Jacky and Akira (2)

9 costumes are totally MIA at the moment:

-Geno
-Chocobo
-Heihachi
-Exe
-X
-Gil
-Lloyd
-Rathalos
-Monster Hunter

What's interesting is that based on this model, Nintendo is intentionally bringing back two Smash 4 costumes with each pass. What does this mean for 5? It suggests the pairing would either be Rathalos and Monster Hunter or Gil and Lloyd. Why? Because all the pairings have been from the same company and, in the grand scheme of things, Heihachi is the odd man out. If Heihachi was "saved", what does this mean? It heavily suggests him either being playable later or saved for a different pass. Either way, to keep this pairing theme going, Lloyd and Gil need to be "saved" too so that either him or a totally mysterious and absolutely unknown Namco have a pairing later.

Heihachi- Lloyd and Gil

Or

Super Mystery Character 64- Heihachi and Gil

Circling back, this means that under this theory that Monster Hunter and Rathalos will likely be the Mii costume pairing for #5.

With that settled, that then leaves 7 Mii costumes. On most basic terms, this suggests that "Season 2" is at least 4 characters if this pattern of pairing continues. On that note, on the event of prrrrrrromotion, it's potentially possible for characters' respective Mii costumes to return too and seems like a possibility anyways. So, with that outline established, we would need suitable characters to "bring" the following character pairs:

-Geno and Chocobo
-Gil and Lloyd
-Exe and X
-Heihachi and, his favorite means of cooking, a Hibachi

So, all in all, fun stuff to digest on the way to #5 and beyond.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So, to map things out, the following 3rd party character costumes weren't in the Smash Ultimate base game:

-Tails
-Knuckles
-Chocobo Hat
-Geno
-Zero
-Megaman X
-Protoman
-Megaman Exe
-Akira
-Jacky
-Heihachi
-Gil
-Lloyd
-Monster Hunter
-Rathalos

Following the Power of Six Theory, every Fighter Pass was originally supposed to have 6 Mii costumes total with at least two returning Mii costumes per pack. 15 costumes and 5 passes, making an average of 3. So, let's map this out further:

Two passes with only two so in order to reach the final 15, we need to fill 11 more spaces across 3 passes so two would have to have four.

Given our original theory, Banjo would have to have four. Banjo already has two (Zero and Proto Man) and, conveniently enough, there's two other Megaman Mii costumes (X and EXE).

Thematically they go together. My personal theory is that Rocket Grunt was a replacement because it's the only first party Mii costume in DLC so far.

All sword fighters and three have armor and helmets. Seems deliberate. Now let's slam this whole goddamn pizza back together.

15 total

This was most likely the original plan when the Fighter's Pass was one and done, however, things have definitely changed.

-Geno
-Chocobo
-Heihachi
-Exe
-X
-Gil
-Lloyd
-Rathalos
-Monster Hunter

What's interesting is that based on this model, Nintendo is intentionally bringing back two Smash 4 costumes with each pass. What does this mean for 5? It suggests the pairing would either be Rathalos and Monster Hunter or Gil and Lloyd. Why? Because all the pairings have been from the same company and, in the grand scheme of things, Heihachi is the odd man out. If Heihachi was "saved", what does this mean? It heavily suggests him either being playable later or saved for a different pass. Either way, to keep this pairing theme going, Lloyd and Gil need to be "saved" too so that either him or a totally mysterious and absolutely unknown Namco have a pairing later.

Heihachi- Lloyd and Gil

Or

Circling back, this means that under this theory that Monster Hunter and Rathalos will likely be the Mii costume pairing for #5.

With that settled, that then leaves 7 Mii costumes. On most basic terms, this suggests that "Season 2" is at least 4 characters if this pattern of pairing continues. On that note, on the event of prrrrrrromotion, it's potentially possible for characters' respective Mii costumes to return too and seems like a possibility anyways. So, with that outline established, we would need suitable characters to "bring" the following character pairs:

-Geno and Chocobo
-Gil and Lloyd
-Exe and X

Did somebody say... A PRRRRROMOTION??

Screenshot_20191220-153134_YouTube.jpg

D

Deleted member

I think this is entirely likely as well, considering that #5 is definitely completed at this point.

This is also why I think a double reveal is possible in January, though I'm not keen on a double release or a triple reveal.

The only reason I think a triple reveal has any merit to be spoken about is that with :ult_terry: being so near completion around whenever :ultbanjokazooie: were having their gameplay breakdown recorded (remember, we had a whole polished idle stance as well as at least two moves and the stage looking good with Ryo already done as a background character all at that point in time) which HAD to be somewhere between May and July due to the needs of recording, translating and editing (keep in mind Sakurai said that the Terry vid was recorded over a month before it was revealed, and that one was the longest one yet. Still, both Hero and Banjo & Kazooie were both over 20 mins for their breakdowns and that means a lot of time was involved to edit and translate them, though maybe not as long as Terry) it would make sense that not only is #5 more than done but that #6 and #7 could easily be reveal ready if not release ready.

I just doubt that they would show off that many characters at once due to Nintendo not being about that life.

However, I think that a double reveal is very likely, but that only #5 will be available after their reveal. Basically, it would be their reveal, breakdown of how they play and everything they come with, Mii Costume line-up and Spirit Board. Then Sakurai would talk about the amiibo, what else comes with the new patch as well as just some general insight into Sakurai's mind and where he thinks Ultimate is headed in the future, and then we would end with a reveal of #6 and a release window that narrows it down to the month of the character's release.
So this has made me go back and watch pretty much every presentation so far. I'd like to open up by saying that I think the "they're low on budget"... theory, I guess? Yeah, that was probably blown way out of proportion. Sakurai stated that normally they get this stuff clipped up for a Nintendo direct, but he wanted to try a more live-stream approach. He then pauses and says they don't have much of a budget for "this", which I think is supposed to be applied to his format for how to do it, rather than the traditional Nintendo Direct approach, i.e. no one wrote a script or made clips for the "stream" method he wanted to adopt.

There's unfortunately no way to tell when Hero's presentation was actually filmed (though if I really wanted to become a damn forensics expert I could try to figure out when the amiibos would have gone into prototype since those are clearly a bit better than the retail product), but Banjo, who was definitely ready to rumble at least 2 days after Hero's presentation (meaning he was ready to ship in July), and Terry clearly wasn't far behind him. There's just no way the development team was making a fully animated model for Ryo just to stick him in the background of a stage if Terry wasn't almost entirely ready. The only thing unfinished about Terry was probably damage and knockback for his moves, honestly. I've said before how well balanced Ultimate is, even in the DLC, so I think a good chunk of time is spent balancing character stats and testing to be sure they're not about to pull a Bayonetta on Ultimate.

Sakurai's wording seems to betray these facts twice: once when he says "you might feel like a lot of time has passed", which to me seems like he has no idea when they'll be releasing the Banjo presentation, and the second time when he talks about the gameplay footage for Terry not being quite done for his reveal trailer. The full reveal trailer given to us for Terry's presentation provides context for that: they hadn't storyboarded the gameplay footage for him yet. All gameplay reveals are well choreographed with subtle nods and jokes in them, and it's obvious that it isn't that Terry wasn't done, he just didn't have the kind of footage they wanted for a reveal trailer. Sakurai and team weren't about to let him go without some kind of gameplay, so they made that quick demonstration to let us know what to expect, and it just worked to make us think he wasn't too far in development.

I wouldn't be surprised if we finally get the 5th character presentation and Sakurai tells us that it was done two days after the Terry video. I think if we could figure out when Hero's presentation was ready, we could easily tell approximately when Fighter 5 was finished and that would give us a hell of a timeline to work with on just how many characters are already ready to go post-pass, it could honestly be as many as two at this point, unless Fighter 5 has a gimmick so unbelievably complex it's just genuinely taking this long (I doubt it).

Either way, I think that Sakurai's not knowing when the presentations were going to be aired and as a result, not knowing when the fighters were going to be released, speaks to a disconnect between what Nintendo's plans are and Sakurai's progress and probably proves an earlier statement of mine correct - Smash DLC releases are being used to pad quarterly digital sales reports, which could mean that Nintendo was the one who chose February 2020 as the last possible date for a release just based on past performance rather than any estimate Sakurai gave them. Granted, I'm not really a market analyst or researcher so I can't say one way or the other if Nintendo's sales have been poor in January or February, especially in years that they blew their load in September rather than having anything ready for Christmas save for Pokemon, which is the boat we're in now, for those not paying attention. Absolutely every Nintendo product under the tree or in the stocking this year is going to be either late adoption or outright the second console/copy of a game in the house so that the fights over whose turn it is to play the Switch will stop.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
On the topic of when fighter 5 will be released, the “Amiibo theory” has not been wrong yet, every character has come in the same month as Amiibo releases, usually earlier. I see people saying character 5 won’t be until February and I really doubt that’s the case, I think it’s very likely that they’ll be in January not long after a hypothetical January direct

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman

-Tails
-Knuckles
-Chocobo Hat
-Geno
-Zero
-Megaman X
-Protoman
-Megaman Exe
-Akira
-Jacky
-Heihachi
-Gil
-Lloyd
-Monster Hunter
-Rathalos

15 total

-Geno
-Chocobo
-Heihachi
-Exe
-X
-Gil
-Lloyd
-Rathalos
-Monster Hunter

Heihachi- Lloyd and Gil

Or

-Geno and Chocobo
-Gil and Lloyd
-Exe and X

Man great theorys like this is making me more excited for the geno essay.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Or... ya know

Normal people doesn't get emotional invested and termnated over this kind of thing
I feel this also needs to be emphasized. Nintendo doesn't really care that much about "how toxic" the speculation community is or isn't because it does comprise such a small portion of their overall player base. Nintendo is still going to be a company at the end of the day, and pushing reveals out one at a time is just good business sense and keeps people talking about the game over longer periods of time, both in and out of speculation. Each new trailer is an event in of itself that brings a ton of attention to Smash and keeps your average Smash player interested and paying attention. Particularly when the choices are bigger name third parties that are big headlining moments all on their own.

The more you reveal at once, the less you leave to expertly advertise to your consumer. It's a nice gesture to reveal everything up front, but the buck kind of stops there. There's a ton of benefits to more individualized reveals over time, both just in terms of hype/speculation/interest and somewhat more cynically in terms of getting consumers to buy stuff they might not necessarily buy otherwise. Nintendo would be giving up all of that just to give a few hyper involved fans peace of mind and be slightly more proactive in their directness with consumers. I just don't think it's ever going to be a trade Nintendo is going to be willing to make unless their DLC starts to pivot more towards less notable character options. Part of the issue is that every character in Smash can be a huge deal on their own given that they also are beloved outside of Smash and sometimes bring an entirely new franchise or company into the world of Smash... whereas your Street Fighter roster has to sell you on a brand new fighter and also has to work much, much harder to actively keep people interested in their titles at this point (Street Fighter V needed all of the positive press it could get after a really rough launch for example). At any point, Nintendo can basically tack a Smash trailer on to a presentation and have it be one of the major bomb shells of their entire presentation in comparison.

I could at least support it if there were proper reveal trailers for each fighter (though still think it kind of wasting a lot of opportunities), but the idea of silhouettes is just so incredibly meh and anti-hype given how Smash does things. Trailers have always done really well at playing up who the reveal will be and waiting until the moment of said reveal, and if we know them all beforehand, it means the trailers are also just going to be that much less special and then it kind of gets us back to the the same core problem of waiting. Especially if a character didn't get in through such a reveal, people would be doing exactly what they're doing right now and talking about how much they're waiting for the announcement of the next DLC stuff. Like, how many people are more interested in the post Fighter's Pass first character than the Fighter's Pass #5 right now? I don't think the up front reveals do much to alleviate that unless they're genuinely the end of fighters for Ultimate in the first place (and we'd still hear people argue that Sakurai was saving a surprise until a "final presentation" anyway).

I just don't think it solves the problems people want it to really solve and it just incurs so much opportunity cost along the way.

Last edited:

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
I did the thing. Even though my tablet's lagging.
I have to apologize, Griselda, but I ended up liking your drawing so much, that I ended up drawing fanart of the character, while attempting to make him slightly edgier (which actually looks more like some Waluigi and Puppetmon got mixed into his design). I hope you don't mind. It's just a rough sketch, but I'd like to ink and color it if you like how it came out:

Also, this is the first time I've been able to use my tablet in months, so I'm still a little rusty, I apologize. But thank you, Griselda, for inspiring me to do some art! :D There's just something about living dolls/puppets that I think make such cool characters and your design struck a cord with me, haha.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Street Fighter V needed all of the positive press it could get after a really rough launch for example
Talking about Street Fighter, if an hypothetical Street Fighter 6 happens i just want Capcom to take their time with it instead of rushing themselves and releasing an unfinished product like V was. because adding the missing content that should've been in the game since day 1 in DLC it's just lame

Griselda

Smash Lord
I have to apologize, Griselda, but I ended up liking your drawing so much, that I ended up drawing fanart of the character, while attempting to make him slightly edgier (which actually looks more like some Waluigi and Puppetmon got mixed into his design). I hope you don't mind. It's just a rough sketch, but I'd like to ink and color it if you like how it came out:

Also, this is the first time I've been able to use my tablet in months, so I'm still a little rusty, I apologize. But thank you, Griselda, for inspiring me to do some art! :D There's just something about living dolls/puppets that I think make such cool characters and your design struck a cord with me, haha.
*incomprehensible squealing* This is the best thing ever, considering he was just a design I lazily stumbled through while fighting against my tablet. The more human proportions make him look a lot cooler, I think. Sure, go ahead and finish it - though are you going to give his right eye black sclera? It was something I wasn't quite sure about with mine, but I ended up doing it anyway.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord

...this is great! ._.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

That looks great! But what is his name, again?

Griselda

Smash Lord
Is he supposed to be a Wa-Geno or something?
A fellow star spirit that decided to turn against Star Road because he's come to loathe granting wishes for mortals. Someone else - not sure who - suggested that he's leading a crusade to reopen the gate to Smithy's dimension to team up with him. ..Presumably by reviving Exor, I suppose.

I like this. It's like he's this character that the Geno fanbase is building together. I hope he blows up and everyone starts drawing him.

Firox

Smash Master

Dude, that looks awesome. In fact, that rendering looks legit like something the actual Mario animators would come up with. Shout out to Griselda for the inspiration.

Geppetto. Someone else suggested Xeno.
Not to toot my own horn, but one reason I liked Xeno (Pronounced Zeeno) was that

A) The name draws a negative parallel to Geno
B) "Xeno" in latin means "alien" or "foreigner", denoting his supernatural origin
C) The letter X is reminiscent of SE's trend of Kingdom Hearts badguys' names (Xehanort, Xemnas, Axel, etc.)
D) The letter X is edgy (just ask Microsoft)

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
A fellow star spirit that decided to turn against Star Road because he's come to loathe granting wishes for mortals. Someone else - not sure who - suggested that he's leading a crusade to reopen the gate to Smithy's dimension to team up with him. ..Presumably by reviving Exor, I suppose.

I like this. It's like he's this character that the Geno fanbase is building together. I hope he blows up and everyone starts drawing him.
Interesting character then, I must say. Any relation to Geno, like a brother or something?

MisterMike

Smash Champion

That little Geno face is so cute, I made it into a colored icon!
GenoOKColored.png

EDIT: Also, WOO 2100 PAGES!

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Interesting character then, I must say. Any relation to Geno, like a brother or something?
My idea was that he was just another of whatever Geno is, without any connection beyond both being agents of the same 'highter authority'. Do you think star spirits have things like family ties?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
My idea was that he was just another of whatever Geno is, without any connection beyond both being agents of the same 'highter authority'. Do you think star spirits have things like family ties?
It was just a guess on my part. Not sure if they would have family, but to me, anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom