• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Trolling
I had a long conversation with my wife last night and it's probably for the best that I back off for a few weeks. I'll probably chime in but I'll be here less. The fact that this thread got shut down twice in the span of a week is a bit nuts. My wife says I'm looking a lot more depressed and acting more distant as of late so obviously the way things have gone down has been very troubling and the people closest to me have taken notice.

I think one thing I'm going to change is to report on rumors just once a week because, for whatever reason, it's this that's causing problems and people's emotional regulation and emotional intelligence just absolutely evaporates when it comes to them. I get people are frustrated from this dry period but it's a bit much and the degree of seriousness that it's being taken is very concerning. Again, been in this for 15 years and it's never been this bad. I still want to do the Geno essay and being away from here will probably help me concentrate on that anyways.

Finally, I want to say that I don't want you all to be too concerned about me. If any of you want to talk, I can still be reached via Discord. Still, I just need to push away for a bit because of how weirdly serious things have gotten and how over the top hostile people have been on (checks notes) video game rumors. I ****ing can't believe I'm saying this. To quote a common meme, satire is dead and we sit upon it like a throne of corpses.

Still, I'm not expecting any big news until after the holidays anyways and, to be perfectly frank, I'd prefer not to have my upcoming two weeks off and holidays soured by (checks notes again) video game rumors. Again, I can't believe I'm saying this. Given this year has included bullying leading to suicide, whistleblowing major sexual harassment and even pedophilia scandals, match fixing, and even blackmail, I don't think it's too strong for me to say that the Smash community is in some desperate need of some serious introspection and soul searching.
Oh Christmas joy! All it’s missing is a joyful tune to go along with it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jAQGCM-IyOE

Edit: The comment was nothing about enjoy Fatman’s situation. It was more about the sinister **** that cracks into the holiday season. The link is a sinister song about a mentally-disturbed character, it’s why I didn’t put these things “” over joy and joyful. Think of this as a sarcastic cover up of the true horrors within his original text. In regards to Fatman leaving for awhile, it’s actually a good thing because he really does need to look for other things in life after everything involving leaks.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Now you are making me miss MissingGlitch MissingGlitch even more.
Heyheyhey Not dead yet. Still just taking an extended extended break.
vgj2zcqkap441__01.png

I've been caring more about TV shows lately than smash. I'm still in general speculation, it allows me to talk about other characters I like at any given point. It gets tiring always talking about Geno.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I'm conflicted whether or not I want to temporarily leave. Not full on leave, but just a Holiday break.

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I'd love for the Geno detractors to go up to Sakurai and tell him he's an idiot for thinking Geno is cool and would make a good fighter.

I'm sure if it was behind a computer screen and keyboard, they'd still do it. They're a nasty bunch of people.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Anyway, its a shame fandoms are just acting up after vga
When it comes to individual fandoms, I have seen that many have just been.. stunted, at least when it comes to speculation. Obviously there are people out there that are being super toxic, but that seems like a general blanket Smash thing at this point. Actual character speculation has fallen dramatically.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
ikr its super mega crazy that a fandom wants a character that the fandom is a fan of.

Yeah, I can play along too. Anyway, its a shame fandoms are just acting up after vga
Yeah for sure but I don’t think that’s something this thread is doing. The people saying those awful things to Fatman weren’t from the Geno thread/Geno fans. If anything it’s very likely people seething that he looks likely given what we know and what has been rumored. As people have brought up people get insecure and paranoid and lash out at others they see at fault and right now for some folks that’s Geno supporters.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
When it comes to individual fandoms, I have seen that many have just been.. stunted, at least when it comes to speculation. Obviously there are people out there that are being super toxic, but that seems like a general blanket Smash thing at this point. Actual character speculation has fallen dramatically.
I noticed that to, this thread and every other thread gets only a few messages after a few minutes. Its just a waiting game now because nintendo,as much as I love them, doesnt think showing all DLC at once is a good idea

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I noticed that to, this thread and every other thread gets only a few messages after a few minutes. Its just a waiting game now because nintendo,as much as I love them, doesnt think showing all DLC at once is a good idea
Honestly, although this thread is certainly not getting the same amount of replies it used to, compared to everyone else it's still notably more active. I mean, just compare KOS-MOS before and after VGA.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Honestly, although this thread is certainly not getting the same amount of replies it used to, compared to everyone else it's still notably more active. I mean, just compare KOS-MOS before and after VGA.
Anything is more alive them the Layton thread in in, that **** is just dead because, well, most of us lost hope

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Anything is more alive them the Layton thread in in, that **** is just dead because, well, most of us lost hope
That's a shame. I don't have much history with Layton beyond his crossover with Phoenix, but I know several people who would've loved his inclusion, so I was fine with him. Sad that this is the case.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
That's a shame. I don't have much history with Layton beyond his crossover with Phoenix, but I know several people who would've loved his inclusion, so I was fine with him. Sad that this is the case.
yeah, it sucks but to end this before I get hit with a warning, it helps That I lost hope in him pretty early. Best to kill the dream then for it to end in dissapointment, ya know.

anyway for all fandoms, hopefully a direct happens so no one goes crazy(er)

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, with Geno being such a dark horse of SMRPG, who do you think are his closest equivalents when it comes to continuing popularity in the other Mario RPGs? I almost wonder if Geno getting in would bring hope for such character returning in the future, not just Geno.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
You know, with Geno being such a dark horse of SMRPG, who do you think are his closest equivalents when it comes to continuing popularity in the other Mario RPGs? I almost wonder if Geno getting in would bring hope for such character returning in the future, not just Geno.
i highly doubt geno getting in would reignite any hope of Layton for me

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/deddorain/status/12062235243204239386E45F3D1-6B11-4B11-AADB-5E11EAA55218.jpeg

We now have an Ok KO style Geno and I think that’s awesome

The only one that comes close is Fawful imo

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
i highly doubt geno getting in would reignite any hope of Layton for me
I was referring to characters in Mario RPGs that might have similar circumstances as Geno(I don't expect them to get in Smash as a result of Geno getting in, but for them to be maybe more noticed by people), but I do think Geno getting in would assist other characters when it comes to the topic of who can get in Smash.
https://twitter.com/deddorain/status/1206223524320423938View attachment 253182

We now have an Ok KO style Geno and I think that’s awesome
People who don't know the context behind all these characters being together are going to be super confused.

Edit:
The only one that comes close is Fawful imo
That is definitely the stand out, but I do think there are other notable examples. Whenever the topic of Paper Mario party members come up, tons of people will go out and note Goombella and Vivian. When it comes to Paper Mario villains, Dimentio is also kinda notable.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I was referring to characters in Mario RPGs that might have similar circumstances as Geno(I don't expect them to get in Smash as a result of Geno getting in, but for them to be maybe more noticed by people), but I do think Geno getting in would assist other characters when it comes to the topic of who can get in Smash.
oh my bad, thought you meant other other characters outside of mario rpg. But If I may be so bold to ask, how would geno getting in help a level 5 character or Capcom character or in SE case, Sora into smash?

Last edited:

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
Holy moly... I know I'm a newbie in this thread and I don't mean to sound insensitive, but I can't help but be a bit incredulous at everyone leaving all at once. I know the VGA's were disappointing and the recent drama was... unfortunate. But Smash speculation isn't the be all, end all. We're here to have fun talking about a character we all love but it's become such a serious thing recently, and it's not a good thing when it begins to impact people's everyday lives. I know some people were on the Geno train since Melee and I've been quietly rooting for Geno for a long time too, and it's easy to get disheartened by consistent negativity, but I think we all need to just... I dunno, chill a bit?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Man, I'm slow.
Wanted to do the meme too, but combine the Geno-hat with Fatman's avatar...
So have this instead:
View attachment 253177
I lurk this thread frequently, often a good read.
Keep it up Genobros! Don't let a little setback get ya'll down.
I'm back to lurking though, cya!
That avatar looms wonderful! That was a really nice thing to do for him.

I was thinking a bit about Geno's chances and what needs to happen in order for him to still seem likely. Either he or another spirit will need to break the mold when the new DLC characters begin as well as the CacoMallow costumes stay around as well. (Believe me, I hope we actually get a Bethesda character next to give myself hope)

But for now, I need to see what happens next.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
oh my bad, thought you meant other other characters outside of rpg. But If I may be so bold to ask, how would geno getting in help a level 5 character or Capcom character or in SE case, Sora into smash?
Well, Geno would be even more solid proof of fan support bringing a character in that you wouldn't expect. Even now, there are still many bigger Square properties that Geno would logically be no match for without the fan help. That could assist a number of characters, though it is a very case by case basis.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Why give up now when Geno’s just gonna get in within a few months time anyways?

Checkmate, LameFAQS

T2by4

Smash Lord

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I really hope they buff Geno in next years KFAD. They should do something like give him sora, cloud, and hero on his team and they'll be called, "The Four Squares". I mean, Weird Al got a massive buff with Michael Jackson stand, Geno needs some more love with buffs.
I don't know if this for real since I only heard of it from others rather than by the people behind KFAD, but I think this may be the last one. Apparently the process of making this event has been very difficult between to manage. But if they do have another one, I do hope Geno comes back with some buffs as well.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Why give up now when Geno’s just gonna get in within a few months time anyways?

Checkmate, LameFAQS
I agree that it seems way too premature to give up now, but there's no need to encourage drama between websites. If GameFAQs users come here to troll again, report them rather than responding to them.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Holy moly... I know I'm a newbie in this thread and I don't mean to sound insensitive, but I can't help but be a bit incredulous at everyone leaving all at once. I know the VGA's were disappointing and the recent drama was... unfortunate. But Smash speculation isn't the be all, end all. We're here to have fun talking about a character we all love but it's become such a serious thing recently, and it's not a good thing when it begins to impact people's everyday lives. I know some people were on the Geno train since Melee and I've been quietly rooting for Geno for a long time too, and it's easy to get disheartened by consistent negativity, but I think we all need to just... I dunno, chill a bit?
It isn't so much that we've given up on Geno, that's why we're here.

It's just that we're exhausted and burnt out. We can only talk about Geno so often, and now we're rightly restricted to only talk about that. Geno aside, the speculation for Fighter 5 alone has been very toxic and frustrating, with S*** acting smug for being vague, Verg making a colossal error that's destroyed his credibility and everything else, we were all hoping the VGA's would finally put an end to it but now we have at least another month of this.

We're the Smash Fandoms punching bag, everyone hates us and laughs at us. I went through the same thing last year with Banjo and Grotesque Steve, and a lot of the Geno camp overlaps with the Banjo camp

After what Banjo fans were subjected to last year, is it any wonder that a lot of people in the thread are looking for the exit? Especially since the thread got locked twice in a 24 hour span thanks to Gamefaqs starting trouble in here

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
People from the thread have been PMing me, asking where I went since things went down. I hope posting about this is permissible, because this is the only post I will make on the matter, as well as my last post period.

I'm not going to beat around the bush. The way Geno's fan base has been treated the net-wide has been terrible by incredibly loud and angry folk, and even on this site, I feel as though I have to walk on eggshells anywhere I go. People openly dog his fans and the very idea of wanting him in Smash to the point that it feels like I am simply not welcome here. It's mentally taxing and exhausting for my health, and the blow-up was a result of that. It was not simply that one moment; it was a build-up of many, many moments over the course of a year. Branching outside of this thread is difficult when people are throwing punches at the group you belong in. Being in the thread is hard when people come in to throw more punches. The precedent has been left, and I feel the eyes on me if I do as much as post.

All I've ever wanted to do was support a character that I'm passionate for. All I wanted was to talk with some like-minded folk. All I wanted was a nice, healthy environment wherein I wouldn't feel so alone in liking my favorite one-off side character. Alas, this is not the place to do it, if anywhere, since it apparently seems to be a blasphemous choice, something that should get you burned at the Smash stake.

Basically, I'm no longer posting here or on these forums again. Ever. If Geno makes it, I may pop in to give my congratulations and share my happiness with everyone, but otherwise, I'm done. I was honestly planning on going silently, but considering the amount of concern I've been receiving in private, I'd rather nip it in the bud here.

Fellow Geno fans, I will never stop loving him and loving you. You are all so brave and genuine to have come this far.
To people who don't like Geno, but behave respectfully about it, I also love you for being a bright spot in the community. I wish more people were like you.
Anyone else... need not be mentioned, and I wish I didn't have to leave with such hard feelings. Despite it all, I hope that you find it in you to better yourselves and respect others the way you wish to be respected.

I'll be cheering for our boy from the sidelines. <3 Feel free to keep in contact with me via my Twitter. If you're a regular, you already know what it is. If not, PM me and I'll give it to you. I have my reasons to not include it in this post.

Take care.
Oh man. I'm way too late, but I just want to say that ever since my days as a lurker, I always saw you as a force of positivity in this thread and it'll be tough to imagine it without your presence for me.

I respect your decision to leave however, and I hope we can meet again once our boy gets into Smash or in Discord or Twitter if I ever have the motivation to use those again. Do take care.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Maybe we should all just stop with the leaks for a good while and take a break. It's not like hoping is going to change anything for a characters chances of getting in.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Well, Geno would be even more solid proof of fan support bringing a character in that you wouldn't expect. Even now, there are still many bigger Square properties that Geno would logically be no match for without the fan help. That could assist a number of characters, though it is a very case by case basis.
call me pessmistic, and I apologize but I fail to see how Geno would help Layton

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We're the Smash Fandoms punching bag, everyone hates us and laughs at us. I went through the same thing last year with Banjo and Grotesque Steve, and a lot of the Geno camp overlaps with the Banjo camp
If there's one thing I dislike about Smash speculation, it's people who bash entire fandoms based on broad generalizations and only focusing on the worst examples of those fandoms. ...And the Byleth fandom. (just kidding about that last one - he'd be neat, even if I'd prefer other characters from Three Houses, but I needed to think of something to make the Austin Powers reference work)

As a member of the Ridley-for-Smash fandom since Brawl, I understand why people would be exhausted or burned out at this point. I think a lot of the hate comes from ignorance (the people who bash Geno or Geno fans likely haven't played Super Mario RPG; its relative lack of availability probably doesn't help) or because he's been a popular choice for over a decade. (with DLC spots being limited, any popular character is going to seem to stand in the way of whatever character(s) those people want)

I understand that there is (or was) a lot standing in Geno's way, but to me, Geno's chances seem better than they've ever been, at least for post-Fighters-Pass DLC. Square-Enix would obviously want Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest to be in Smash first and foremost, but now that they're in, who knows what else we could get from them? (...well, aside from music or Final Fantasy spirits - they seem unusually stingy with those)

Passionate fan demand got us Banjo-freaking-Kazooie in Smash Bros., a series that's owned by Microsoft, for crying out loud! Compared to that, Geno doesn't seem anywhere near as far-fetched.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Honestly Dimentio is the Kefka of mario.
Seriously. It's kinda uncanny.
Even with my limited knowledge of Final Fantasy VI, I must agree on that. Makes you wonder what other Final Fantasy comparisons can be made with other Mario RPG characters. I imagine SMRPG would have an easy case of that, since it is pretty much a Mario Final Fantasy game.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I’ll revive some of that hope if you want.

https://mobile.twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1204114843348819968?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1204114843348819968&ref_url

I’d say unless S**is source shoots Level 5 down as well, don’t let Verge kill your hope for him.

After the KOS-MOS incident, you might as well treat the list like a random 4chan post.
Weren't you one of the people who used to call out veggieboy's doubters as simply angry fans who got mad that he disconfirmed their favorites? Ironic that you now find yourself in their shoes.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Passionate fan demand got us Banjo-freaking-Kazooie in Smash Bros., a series that's owned by Microsoft, for crying out loud! Compared to that, Geno doesn't seem anywhere near as far-fetched.
This is pretty much my line of thinking - as much as I wanted Banjo to get into Smash I felt like they were further from getting in being from a competitor's property. When they were confirmed at E3 earlier this year I felt like anything was fair game at that point, and I can't think of much that stands in the way of Geno's inclusion for Smash Ultimate. Here's hoping it's sooner rather than later.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Weren't you one of the people who used to call out veggieboy's doubters as simply angry fans who got mad that he disconfirmed their favorites? Ironic that you now find yourself in their shoes.
I don’t think I specifically said that in particular.

But yeah, it wasn’t until the KOS-MOS incident that I seriously began to doubt him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom