• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Honestly the more I think of it, the more I see Geno playing like a fusion of Mega Man and Lucas. I can pretty easily see Geno's Smash attacks lining up with Lucas's PSI attacks pretty well.
Give him a counter where Mallow pops in and brings a bolt of lightning down on whoever hit Geno

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hey gamers. I've been away from the thread for a while (nothing "happened" to me, don't worry - I'm still active on the Star Road Discord as a mod, as a matter of fact), but I know that the thread's been in some kinda turmoil lately due to... recent events. I just wanted y'all to know that even when I'm not actively voicing my support for Geno on sites like this, the Genobros will always have my support, no matter what happens. For everyone who's ever wanted Geno in Smash, whether as a main want or just to satisfy the wishes of the fans... we all deserve this.

Let's get this bread.
Yeah boy!
ThisBread.png

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Let's talk hypotheticals.

Based on the moveset ideas we have for Geno. What characters do you imagine him having strong match ups against? What characters do you think would be really difficult for Geno?

Who do you persomally want Geno beating match up wise?

I would find it totally in character for him to beat all swords/FE characters. I mean, he spent all of Mario RPG doing so but realistically that seems unlikely based on our theoretical movements lol

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

Based on the moveset ideas we have for Geno. What characters do you imagine him having strong match ups against? What characters do you think would be really difficult for Geno?

I would find it totally in character for him to beat all swords/FE characters. I mean, he spent all of Mario RPG doing so but realistically that seems unlikely based on our theoretical movements lol
As someone who has picked up :ultgnw: in the past week, I can see a skilled G&W being a problem for Geno. The bucket being able to absorb his energy-based projectiles and reflect all the others could seriously put the screws to Geno's options.

Earlier, Geno was hypothetically compared to :ultness: and :ultlucas:; and G&W eats them for breakfast

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman

I would love a good counter to sword characters and Ganon honestly.

This is SMASH Bros. not SLASH Bros. :yeahboi:

(ps: no disrespect to any sword character players ya'll are awesome)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, I always wanted a character that beats Mario matchup wise that I can actually play, so at most I can see him going even with him. It'd be great if it's 60:40 Geno's favor because Mario is just so annoying for me to fight.

Obviously he's going to shred characters like King Dedede and Ganondorf apart, as well as other low tiers like Doc, Little Mac, and the like.

I think he'd do really well against sword characters. I'd like a counter for those too.

I can't think up of too many losing matchups right now besides Joker, Pikachu and Mr. Game and Watch.

I play Smash using a competitive rule set but I don't really take Smash all that seriously. I just really like watching Wario in this game. I don't play on going to any tournaments or make this part of my life, I have other things I want to do.

I know what matchups, frames, etc. are, though, but I'm not really that much into Competitive Smash.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Well, as I said the other thread, Christmas is just another day, one that is overhyped and overrated. However, it kinda got a bit depressing (meaning a little) since we did not get anything in the Video Game Awards; no Geno, no other character, whatever.

I mean, it is kinda depressing because we've got nothing at that event, and we have nothing to talk about until January or February where the next Direct may hit. I mean, we can talk Geno, but the wait...ugh...

I don't mean to bring this to the discussion again, the VGA thing, if it is a bad idea, just saying

None of you have lost hope for Geno, right? I wonder how he'll look graphically?
I mean...we have plenty to talk about still and can easily go infinity more pages before a reveal because there is so much to talk about with Geno and Smash. We can host contests for Geno related content such as music and stage concepts and art and movesets, we can organize casual tournaments for just people in the thread who are interested and maybe even have a Geno themed prize for the winner, we could continue to discuss ad naseum the slightest details that may hint at Geno or that give us hope for him or aspects of what we'd like to see get translated to Smash.

The list goes on and on. I think it's pretty clear, even with people leaving the thread, that people haven't lost hope in Geno making it to Smash they've just lost hope in the Smash community which is understandable because of how the internet is a toxic cyber cesspool. We have plenty to talk about and we literally only have to wait until February at the latest to find out who is next that's really not so bad especially if you are taking other people's advice and spending most of your time outside of the thread doing other hobbies and spending time with the people in your life.

This time last year all we knew is that we were getting 5 characters and hopes for additional DLC were honestly pretty low. Now we know we are getting more DLC and that the gates are open for many different kinds of characters with Geno being very likely. I'd say that is a pretty good Christmas present to slap on to this already incredible game wouldn't you? Also, Christmas is what YOU make it. If it's just another day to you then it's bound to feel a little depressing and if it's a magical or special time for you then you make it that way in spite of what is going on in your life. I'm not saying you're overreacting or anything because it is disappointing that there was no Smash news at VGAs and you did say it was only a little depressing. I'm just saying there is plenty to talk about and be excited about and most importantly I'm saying...Geno.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
IF Geno gets in, poor Mallow will be the only SMRPG character not in Smash. Maybe he'll get a cameo in a taunt or a victory animation, or a stage. Fingers crossed.
Out of the playable characters in SMRPG, sure, but there is still plenty of other SMRPG characters besides him. Hopefully a ton of them find a way to appear somehow.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Man, I'm slow.
Wanted to do the meme too, but combine the Geno-hat with Fatman's avatar...
So have this instead:
View attachment 253177
I lurk this thread frequently, often a good read.
Keep it up Genobros! Don't let a little setback get ya'll down.
I'm back to lurking though, cya!
I know this is like three pages back, but this is really neat!

T2by4

Smash Lord
Just a reminder that every E3 so far has revealed the top requests from fans. Both Ridley and Banjo were massively popular, so I can easily see them revealing Geno at E3 2020.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Just a reminder that every E3 so far has revealed the top requests from fans. Both Ridley and Banjo were massively popular, so I can easily see them revealing Geno at E3 2020.
That makes sense, i really want them to announce Geno already so we can start celebrating here on the thread

D

Deleted member

I'm very impatient and would like to not wait until halfway through 2020 to play my boy. Here's hoping he's an April release or something.

Honestly the more I think of it, the more I see Geno playing like a fusion of Mega Man and Lucas. I can pretty easily see Geno's Smash attacks lining up with Lucas's PSI attacks pretty well.
Given my history this would be extremely rad, but I feel like he'd end up having the same losing matchups as one or both of them, in such a situation. I'm really hoping for a combination Sheik/Robin
As someone who has picked up :ultgnw: in the past week, I can see a skilled G&W being a problem for Geno. The bucket being able to absorb his energy-based projectiles and reflect all the others could seriously put the screws to Geno's options.

Earlier, Geno was hypothetically compared to :ultness: and :ultlucas:; and G&W eats them for breakfast
People around me are starting to pick up Game and Watch as a ****post purely because for whatever reason the entire Smash community hates him (I guess because one person in the entire world makes the character work well enough to make top 3 at major events, similar to Joker; I'm getting really tired of this mentality but that's for another thread) and I just have to say that Lucas doesn't lose to Game and Watch and I don't really see Ness losing to him either. Both characters can play around shield extremely safely (in fact Lucas goes positive on shield with good spacing/execution) and despite what every human being alive seems to think, Ness and Lucas are not one trick spam machines who rely completely on PK Fire.

Ultimate is such a well balanced game that every time I start to suspect I have a losing matchup, I find out a way to play it to make it feel more even. I think the few exceptions to this rule are Fox, Lucina, Palutena, and Mewtwo... Which, as a hybrid zoner like Lucas, Lucina doesn't make any goddamn sense, since for all practical purposes swordfighters in general should just lose a zoner matchup. Oh well.

I think as Ultimate's meta develops further and further, we'll find a lot of matchups are closer to 50:50 than not, except in extreme cases, and that it's really all about how you approach them. I'm just wanting Geno to be a true to form glass cannon - kill power and speed like nobody's business, but dead at 60% to a half charged fsmash somewhere near the ledge. Basically a Pichu that I can actually love and respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Here is a question that I think has never been asked: How would you go about making a Geno taunt that has some sort of attack? As an example, it would be somethin like Luigi's down taunt or Greninja's down taunt.
People have covered the main ones I would obviously think of, but here's one I hadn't thought of until I thought about your question: Geno's attack animation in SMRPG has him step forward and throw one arm forward while his cape kind of moves backward like it's being blown by strong wind. This would look really aesthetically pleasing in Smash and his arm and cape could both have hitboxes that deal like 1% dmg. This could also be worked into a tilt attack or something instead but I thought it could look cool as a possible taunt.

Edit: or maybe it's not his attack animation but I distinctly remember this animation from somewhere.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
But K.Rool and Chrom/Dark Samus were revealed outside of E3 and they are also highly requested. Thinking just E3 is the way to go for Geno is probably not the best way to think about it.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
But K.Rool and Chrom/Dark Samus were revealed outside of E3 and they are also highly requested. Thinking just E3 is the way to go for Geno is probably not the best way to think about it.
Honestly, you have a point. Nintendo is unpredictable.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, this is a hot take and probably won't be popular with the youngsters, but I can see Smash not being at E3 this time around. Smash Ultimate has been at 2 E3s at this point, one for pre-launch and one for post-launch, I just don't see it being used as an eyecatcher for a third E3 in a row, especially just for the redheaded step-children of DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
Hey gamers. I've been away from the thread for a while (nothing "happened" to me, don't worry - I'm still active on the Star Road Discord as a mod, as a matter of fact), but I know that the thread's been in some kinda turmoil lately due to... recent events. I just wanted y'all to know that even when I'm not actively voicing my support for Geno on sites like this, the Genobros will always have my support, no matter what happens. For everyone who's ever wanted Geno in Smash, whether as a main want or just to satisfy the wishes of the fans... we all deserve this.

Let's get this bread.
Ze Diglett! How's it going, dude? It's been a while. Glad to see you're still with the crusade. Don't be a stranger now, ya hear?

Firox

Smash Master
Man, I absolutely HATE this information void we're sitting in right now. "Leakers" are quiet, Nintendo's quiet, even the garbo click-bait "journalist" websites are bone dry. I need a direct ASAP or my head's going to explode.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Just so uh, everyone knows, I only announced I was taking a “break” because I didn’t like coming back to this thread everyday and seeing everyone at each other's throats, and also because I have mid terms coming up.

I don’t know where people are getting this idea that everyone’s jumping ship or taking things too personally. When people announce they’re taking a break or that they’re leaving entirely, it’s usually because they have a daily presence here. They’re just trying to be courteous, instead of being like my dad and say they’re getting cigarettes and then never come back.

But I haven’t been keeping up with the thread. Perhaps I’m missing an integral part to this.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I'm very impatient and would like to not wait until halfway through 2020 to play my boy. Here's hoping he's an April release or something.

Given my history this would be extremely rad, but I feel like he'd end up having the same losing matchups as one or both of them, in such a situation. I'm really hoping for a combination Sheik/Robin

People around me are starting to pick up Game and Watch as a ****post purely because for whatever reason the entire Smash community hates him (I guess because one person in the entire world makes the character work well enough to make top 3 at major events, similar to Joker; I'm getting really tired of this mentality but that's for another thread) and I just have to say that Lucas doesn't lose to Game and Watch and I don't really see Ness losing to him either. Both characters can play around shield extremely safely (in fact Lucas goes positive on shield with good spacing/execution) and despite what every human being alive seems to think, Ness and Lucas are not one trick spam machines who rely completely on PK Fire.

Ultimate is such a well balanced game that every time I start to suspect I have a losing matchup, I find out a way to play it to make it feel more even. I think the few exceptions to this rule are Fox, Lucina, Palutena, and Mewtwo... Which, as a hybrid zoner like Lucas, Lucina doesn't make any goddamn sense, since for all practical purposes swordfighters in general should just lose a zoner matchup. Oh well.

I think as Ultimate's meta develops further and further, we'll find a lot of matchups are closer to 50:50 than not, except in extreme cases, and that it's really all about how you approach them. I'm just wanting Geno to be a true to form glass cannon - kill power and speed like nobody's business, but dead at 60% to a half charged fsmash somewhere near the ledge. Basically a Pichu that I can actually love and respect.
See the funny thing is, I picked up G&W without even realizing there was recent controversy surrounding him. Then when I found out everyone was complaining because a top player was making him look godlike, I had to go in even harder on using him

Firox

Smash Master
See the funny thing is, I picked up G&W without even realizing there was recent controversy surrounding him. Then when I found out everyone was complaining because a top player was making him look godlike, I had to go in even harder on using him
Wait, what's the controversy with G&W?

D

Deleted member

Wait, what's the controversy with G&W?
People are needlessly salty that Maister keeps getting excellent results at huge events. From my experience a lot of people hate that Game and Watch has an excellent out of shield option (up B) that has consistently managed to throw off everyone but like, Leo. It's being called braindead despite the fact that a majority of the cast has a similar option out of shield, but I think that what makes Game and Watch's look so good is the fact that he can act out of his up B.

As it's one of Lucas' weaker aspects, I really hope Geno has a good out of shield option. At least something faster than frame 7, and if it's gonna be that slow, at least be a better "get off me" than nair, or less punishable.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Man, I absolutely HATE this information void we're sitting in right now. "Leakers" are quiet, Nintendo's quiet, even the garbo click-bait "journalist" websites are bone dry. I need a direct ASAP or my head's going to explode.
Here's to hoping for an announcement tomorrow or Wednesday otherwise January it is until were waiting.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Alright, so I've seen thinking about the japanese boxart for Super Mario RPG and I have a question: Was Yoshi originally supposed to be a party member at some point?
https://www.mariowiki.com/images/4/45/SMRPG_SuperFamicomBox.jpg (Site is messed up at the moment and I can't do image embeds)
I find it kind of odd how he's here on the boxart with all the other playable characters when he himself isn't a party member. Now I know that you gain access to Yo'ster Island rather early on in the game and you can come by whenever, ride Yoshi around and partake in races, but why would that be enough to put him on the box alongside Mario and company? It's not that major of a role, really.

Furthermore, on TCRF there appears to be remnants of what appear to be a scrapped 6th party member. Thoughts?
https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_RPG:_Legend_of_the_Seven_Stars#Remnants_of_a_6th_Party_Member.3F

Firox

Smash Master
People are needlessly salty that Maister keeps getting excellent results at huge events. From my experience a lot of people hate that Game and Watch has an excellent out of shield option (up B) that has consistently managed to throw off everyone but like, Leo. It's being called braindead despite the fact that a majority of the cast has a similar option out of shield, but I think that what makes Game and Watch's look so good is the fact that he can act out of his up B.

As it's one of Lucas' weaker aspects, I really hope Geno has a good out of shield option. At least something faster than frame 7, and if it's gonna be that slow, at least be a better "get off me" than nair, or less punishable.
Has anyone nailed down some good options that Geno could have for his aerials? I think that would give a good idea as to whether he'd have any good OoS options.

PS I gotta admit, G&W's Up B out of shield DOES sound pretty stupid, but doesn't he have counterplay for that? If Leo could beat it, then there's got to be SOMETHING. Plus isn't G&W one of the lightest characters in the game?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Has anyone nailed down some good options that Geno could have for his aerials? I think that would give a good idea as to whether he'd have any good OoS options.
I decided upon these for my Geno Moveset post a while back, and these are the aerials I came up with.
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/post-23603157
-= Aerial Attacks =-
Neutral Aerial - Geno faces towards the screen and spins around in a circle, using his cloak to attack. I'm probably doing a poor job at explaining this one, but just imagine Banjo & Kazooie's Neutral Air, only Geno uses his cape instead of big 'ol wings.
Forward Aerial - Geno punches forward, with his arm detatching for a split second to grant it some good range. There's a sweetspot at the tip of the attack.
Backward Aerial - Geno thrusts his elbow backwards and opens it up, creating a small explosion.
Upward Aerial - An overhead kick. Think Mario's Up Air.
Downward Aerial - Geno shoots both of his hands downward, basically Mega Man's Down Air. And just like that attack, it spikes if you hit the sweetspot.

Firox

Smash Master
I decided upon these for my Geno Moveset post a while back, and these are the aerials I came up with.
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/post-23603157
These aerials look pretty interesting (especially love the Mario up air, yum) but I'm having a hard time imagining which would be best for OoS. The nair could be good, but likely lacking in range. The fair sounds kinda like Banjo's, being strong but on the slower side. I guess if we really wanted Geno to be broken, we could always go cheese and give him an Up B that he could act out of like G&W. Mmmmm, I can taste those salty tears now.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
These aerials look pretty interesting (especially love the Mario up air, yum) but I'm having a hard time imagining which would be best for OoS. The nair could be good, but likely lacking in range. The fair sounds kinda like Banjo's, being strong but on the slower side. I guess if we really wanted Geno to be broken, we could always go cheese and give him an Up B that he could act out of like G&W. Mmmmm, I can taste those salty tears now.
If we were to base it on someone else up b, Mii Gunner got a really good oos up b, who basicaly kill people if they touch her shield. I don't remember the name, but it's the one who's also a bad recovery move. Also a good oos move isn't necessary to be top tier, Joker's fastest oos is his up air, which is frame 8. And that's not really fast or good, especialy when it only hit over him.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Alright, so I've seen thinking about the japanese boxart for Super Mario RPG and I have a question: Was Yoshi originally supposed to be a party member at some point?
https://www.mariowiki.com/images/4/45/SMRPG_SuperFamicomBox.jpg (Site is messed up at the moment and I can't do image embeds)
I find it kind of odd how he's here on the boxart with all the other playable characters when he himself isn't a party member. Now I know that you gain access to Yo'ster Island rather early on in the game and you can come by whenever, ride Yoshi around and partake in races, but why would that be enough to put him on the box alongside Mario and company? It's not that major of a role, really.

Furthermore, on TCRF there appears to be remnants of what appear to be a scrapped 6th party member. Thoughts?
https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_RPG:_Legend_of_the_Seven_Stars#Remnants_of_a_6th_Party_Member.3F
Well, Luigi appeared on some early screenshots of the game so i think those remnats could be for him

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Ever since Sakurai said that relevancy didn't matter, I've known that Geno is basically confirmed.

1. Lots of moveset inspiration online + SMRPG already gives you Geno's special moves AND final smash. How easy can this get?!

2. From Sakurai's words, he would fit great in Smash. If all DLC characters have gimmicks, have timed hits be Geno's thing!

3. That Cacomallow leak is still alive, like, months later. Even if it got deconfirmed, it's far from Geno's only hope.

4. Rated E+ appeal, from the minds of a child, it's an awesome blue puppet from the Mario series who's possessed by a star and can transform basically any of his joints. That, and the beautiful simplicity in his design, kids could easily draw a recognizable puppet boi. There is beauty in simplicity, just look at Kirby!

5. spirits dont deconfirm stop being silly nowhere was it mentioned that these would ever kill off a characters chances to be a fighter in the hit video game Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Swi-

Tomasagaz14

Banned via Warnings
Ever since Sakurai said that relevancy didn't matter, I've known that Geno is basically confirmed.

1. Lots of moveset inspiration online + SMRPG already gives you Geno's special moves AND final smash. How easy can this get?!

2. From Sakurai's words, he would fit great in Smash. If all DLC characters have gimmicks, have timed hits be Geno's thing!

3. That Cacomallow leak is still alive, like, months later. Even if it got deconfirmed, it's far from Geno's only hope.

4. Rated E+ appeal, from the minds of a child, it's an awesome blue puppet from the Mario series who's possessed by a star and can transform basically any of his joints. That, and the beautiful simplicity in his design, kids could easily draw a recognizable puppet boi. There is beauty in simplicity, just look at Kirby!

5. spirits dont deconfirm stop being silly nowhere was it mentioned that these would ever kill off a characters chances to be a fighter in the hit video game Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Swi-
Sakurai never said that Relevance doesn't matters at all, he just literally said that fun matters more than Relevance, not that Relevance is unimportant.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
PS I gotta admit, G&W's Up B out of shield DOES sound pretty stupid, but doesn't he have counterplay for that? If Leo could beat it, then there's got to be SOMETHING. Plus isn't G&W one of the lightest characters in the game?
:ultgnw: Is only behind :ultjigglypuff: And :ultpichu:in terms of weight. As someone who's been playing G&W, yeah, Up B out of shield is so good it's criminal, but anyone who is at least half decent at reading their opponent will see it coming a mile away. Faced a Wolf the other day who would counter by jumping immediately after poking my shield.

Really, just be mindful of it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom