• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
IT's OFFICIALLY CHRISTMAS MUSIC TIME~!

YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'Tis the season, lads! Y'all mind if I give my musical contribution to this jolly Christmas mood we're in from our bear and bird friends next door?

DeputyDalmatian

Smash Cadet
Hi Fatmanonice Fatmanonice it’s always been a pleasure reading your theories and opinions on all things gaming here as a lurker, and I can’t encourage your decision to leave the insider community enough if the parallels between that and the Trump administration are as severe as you suggest haha. At the risk of being “that guy” my first and foremost point of interest when it comes to Smash has always been Geno, and the validation that would come from having an obscure but important character to me back in the limelight. Do you think you’ll still put together that essay about Geno and his path to his hopeful inclusion? If it would entail too much of insider knowledge of course I wouldn’t expect it. It’s just always a relief hearing you say it’s likely to happen! Thank you again for all you do.

link2702

Smash Champion
IT's OFFICIALLY CHRISTMAS MUSIC TIME~!

YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03744EBD-2CC4-420F-B931-8E0F9C912B98.gif

One month of the same 4 songs over and over again by different mediocre artists.

Not exactly something I’m excited for.

link2702

Smash Champion
What, you don't like listening to the same old Mariah Carrey track on a constant loop for a whole 30 days? What's wrong with you?!
It’s cuz i work (....worked? :( ) retail.

Work through it for over a decade where you deal with a Black Friday of lousy entitlement asshole customers and have to listen to 100+ different versions of 4 songs for a month and you’d want despise Christmas music and the holiday as a whole. I’d love nothing more than to kick santa in the jingle bells with steel toes on.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Don’t want to share where I heard this(out of a will to not throw someone under the bus) but apparently there’s a chance DLC 5 is Sora.

Not sure how much I can buy into it because isn’t Disney terrible at keeping secrets?

I’d be interested to hear Fatman’s stance on Sora as DLC 5. He hasn’t been mentioned much at all on the private Discord, right?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, what they should be doing is keep obediently buying characters they don't actually want so Sakurai can keep funding more of his biased favoritism picks into smash, now that's the noble course of action here, isn't it? With some luck they may finally get the character they want in a decade or two if the man feels like throwing them a bone.
Again, did you even read my post? I said to go about it seeing character inclusions the right way, not throwing childish temper tantrums like we've seen happen time and time again. I'm not telling you to be an obedient consumer, but as I have told people many times, there are people besides you in the world to satisfy and appeal to. You're not going to get 50% dedicated to you on average, or not even 25%, nor should you when 16 million people play and own Smash across a crazy number of walks of life.

I support fan campaigns that organize and develop a genuine plan of action to appeal to Nintendo, Sakurai, and others with large projects and ideas. I support developing awareness through increased social media presence such as posting more artwork and getting Hastags going without directly annoying developers and other members of the community. It's the pure vitriolic anger and adverse reactions I don't support as a meaningful way to get characters into the game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Don’t want to share where I heard this(out of a will to not throw someone under the bus) but apparently there’s a chance DLC 5 is Sora.

Not sure how much I can buy into it because isn’t Disney terrible at keeping secrets?

I’d be interested to hear Fatman’s stance on Sora as DLC 5. He hasn’t been mentioned much at all on the private Discord, right?
Can you say how trustworthy this source is at least?

I recall Fatman seeing him as an eventuality for DLC, but not for 5. Could be wrong though.

OffBi

Smash Ace

You want to hear my opinion on him being the 5th dlc?
I'll tell you what i think. I don't see him happening... maybe ever.
I'm sorry to anyone who likes sora, but the moment he's appeared with the mouse, all of his chances of being in smash disappeared.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
We've heard on more than one occasion that vga is going to get treated like e3, do you think any of those potential announcements might end up there too?
Easily, yes, based on the timing but it's impossible to narrow down what. Of course, when the day comes, I'll say if I had heard it or not and when. I'll also confirm or deny rumors if brought up by people like Papagenos.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Work through it for over a decade where you deal with a Black Friday of lousy entitlement asshole customers and have to listen to 100+ different versions of 4 songs for a month and you’d want despise Christmas music and the holiday as a whole. I’d love nothing more than to kick santa in the jingle bells with steel toes on.
I was being sarcastic, man. I don't envy retail workers whatsoever. Whoever's idea it was to subject employees to a small handful of christmas songs every december deserves to have legos in his socks.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Nothing has been said about Sora but the consensus is that he's so popular around the world that Nintendo will probably make an honest attempt to get him by the time DLC is totally over. This is why, if he's coming, I honestly don't expect him for a year or more.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

I love Christmas music and I've worked retail more than any other job.

Idk, it's never bothered me. Like, ever.

Also, at one job, I WAS the Christmas music. Imagine the surprise customers got when they came into their local Dollar Tree to hear someone singing Mele Kalikimaka!

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Interesting developments lately. More disconfirmed characters for number 5 including Layton who I believed to be likely. Not sure how much we can trust any of these disconfirms, but I like the way it changes the landscape of speculation.

Also Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I always tried not to bother you for insider info but always appreciated what you were able to share. I know I haven't been around as long as many others, but I do remember seeing some of your conspiracy theories and always enjoyed those kinds of posts more anyway. I look forward to speculating more with you on this wild ride and I hope that you making this choice ends up being the best possible thing for you (I'm pretty sure it will).

At this point I think Travis makes a lot of sense to me for FP5 so he will probably be disconfirmed in a couple days. Can't wait to see who it actually is and likely be disappointed by it! Still what an amazing game Ultimate is and I really hope that Fatman is correct about post pass being crazy.

D

Deleted member

We all know which one is the best Christmas song besides Padoru Padoru:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking about some things lately and I've decided that I'm retiring from insider stuff. Of course, I'm going to keep speculating because I've done it forever but I've come to realize that it's not good for the "mental health" of the community. Based on things I've witnessed, things I've learned about past events, and people I've interacted with, I don't think it's worth it anymore. The literal moral fatigue that seems to be a common issues in some of these circles is telling. I used to joke about it a lot but, yeah, a lot of insider culture is kind of awful and plenty of other retired insiders have spoken on it but it's gotten to the point that it's not funny anymore.

I used to mention it a lot but a common quote that I used to tell from the NoA source is "this isn't fun. Why would anyone want to do this?" After being it in more than a year, it's gotten to be too much. Even the NoA source said that they were going to retire after the VGAs and roughly half of the Private Discord has been like "yeah, I don't want to do this too much longer..." I've met some cool people like Slender, Rummy, Nazyrus, and of course the NoA source by being invited to the group but it's become like watching the news, seeing awful things unfold and people do awful things for e-cred and fame and it's nothing short of exhausting some days.

If fewer people listen to what I have to say because of this announcement, that's fine. Both Paragon and KronoXIII gave me some surprisingly sage advice on this topic in recent weeks and Paragon's particularly stuck with me. To paraphrase "Despite being 'cancelled', I'm still here." That's oddly comforting. Even after the community hardcore dumped on both of them, they still came back. Why? Because they cared about the community. It was never about efame for them but simply contributing to the community and that's pretty groovy. That said, I quickly became nostalgic for the days where I was just a theorycrafter and able to piece together things with public information. All and all, that's always been my place and that's cool.

Like I said, this was never meant to be a long-term thing so "retiring early" is kind of an easy decision to make. I'll just go ahead and say this, you know who you are, and if you're an insider that's just kind of burned out on the whole thing, I can assure you that the community will welcome you back as "regular joes." I hope this doesn't upset anyone because it's not meant to. It's just recognizing that the Smash community already has a plethora of problems and one of the core pillars of speculation shouldn't be one of them. Of course, I'll still answer questions and I have no intention of doing a "dump" of private info because, again, privacy and trust is still important to me. I hope you all are perfectly fine with just being Fatmanonice, the guy that overthinks everything, again.

One last thing I want to say: the NoA ambassador is a real bro and I honestly wish him the best in life. I know this has been stressful this past year but it's been greatly appreciated. Even without the info, they're still an incredible human being and I hope they recognize this when they retire. Still, thank you for everything and especially helping me revive the Geno fanbase when it was at its most defeated. It means the world to me so thank you and best of luck in the future.
Sorry things turned out so rough for you man. That said, I don't blame you one bit. I'm not even an insider and I'm burnt out on the "not him, him, no no no its actually him, loljk its this other guy except it's not" thats been running rampant recently. While other fighters like Lloyd, Doomguy, Dante, Travis, Nightmare, and WAH are all exciting. The best takeaway was that our starboi did/does actually have a really good crack at DLC. Thanks for everything, especially that bit of hope.

I'm still waiting for that essay with bated breath though lol.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

Hmm, reading this, it reminded me of an article I saw a few days ago.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...but_concerned_parents_are_making_it_difficult

There are details within the article that although, they might be straws but; Nintendo making a theme park in Japan; Miyamoto wanting Nintendo to rise to the heights of Disney... reflecting upon this makes me think that Sora's chances might be much greater, if not, him already being worked upon for post Pass.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Sora in Smash Bros is pretty perfect considering he's a crossover character. Like many people have been wanting him and it's a good way to figuratively end Smash Bros with. Though it's too good of a character to end with

AugustusB

Smash Champion
2020 is going to be nuts according to our resident Fatman. I kind of can't wait for something to be announced and he will be as cool as a cucumber.

HOWEVER, now any announcement being made will probably be followed with "Fatman did you know!?!?!"

Fatman: "Maybeeee?"

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I thought the guy confessed to copying info from a tweet no one saw?
That's not what happened. The alleged doujin leaker leaked a document of a Touhou game that seemingly didn't exist anywhere else. However, people found that someone involved in the development actually did tweet the image before the leak, so it was presumed dead. But then a twist! The image the original leaker put out was found to have different compression to the one that had already been tweeted prior, meaning the images are from two different sources and the "leaked image" does not exist anywhere else on the internet, implying it came from inside.

Are their other explanations beyond "REIMU IS IN SMASH!"? Sure, but the leak itself is technically not dead, though another leak (Cat leak) pointing to her is dead if Verge is to be believed.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Think all the Smash stuff and apply it to Nintendo in general. Let's just say that if half the Nintendo insider rumors are true then 2020 is going to be ****ing nuts.
I really hope so. This year and last have been relatively tame for me in terms of 1st party releases. 2020 is definitely gonna ramp things up. Animal Crossing, BotW2, possible Mario Odyssey expansion or sequel, 4 or 5 smash characters, and I have a feeling we may see some old franchises like Pikmin and Golden Sun return

D

Deleted member

Even though I'm "out", I have no intentions of leaking anything. I can still kind of confirm or deny rumors as they come up because, to be honest, I'm holding onto so many rumors from insiders pertaining to Nintendo it's kind of ridiculous. I probably have heard enough rumors to last me until next fall and I'm totally okay with that. End of the Day: the rumors point to Nintendo kicking an indescribable amount of ass in 2020 and I'll just leave it at that until these rumors inevitably are brought to the public by actual insiders.
I often describe the Switch as the second coming of the Super Nintendo to friends, and knowing this 2020 business makes me pretty stoked for the possibilities. As someone who felt burnt by the Wii U, the Switch has really surprised me in the level of not just support it's getting, but the kind of quality titles that are coming to it - kind of one of the reasons that Sword/Shield being halfassed is such a blow, like, come on guys, everyone is out here putting their best foot forward and you did this.

As for your leaving the "insider" business, more power to you. I've already made a decently long post to let you know that your time in what I imagine must be Pettyville, USA helped at least one person turn his opinion around. It's nice to hear from someone who was there that us commoners are right, and a lot of insiders are just asshats who want to watch people squirm. Absolute power etc etc, I guess. It's a little sad to know that Geno will no longer be the privileged fanbase that happens to have an insider mouthpiece lurking in its depths, but I guess we've still got Big Papa. Don't take that the wrong way, of course - leave people or situations you don't want to be around 100% of the time.

...I get this suspicion that maybe you found out what you wanted to know.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I often describe the Switch as the second coming of the Super Nintendo to friends, and knowing this 2020 business makes me pretty stoked for the possibilities. As someone who felt burnt by the Wii U, the Switch has really surprised me in the level of not just support it's getting, but the kind of quality titles that are coming to it - kind of one of the reasons that Sword/Shield being halfassed is such a blow, like, come on guys, everyone is out here putting their best foot forward and you did this.

As for your leaving the "insider" business, more power to you. I've already made a decently long post to let you know that your time in what I imagine must be Pettyville, USA helped at least one person turn his opinion around. It's nice to hear from someone who was there that us commoners are right, and a lot of insiders are just asshats who want to watch people squirm. Absolute power etc etc, I guess. It's a little sad to know that Geno will no longer be the privileged fanbase that happens to have an insider mouthpiece lurking in its depths, but I guess we've still got Big Papa. Don't take that the wrong way, of course - leave people or situations you don't want to be around 100% of the time.

...I get this suspicion that maybe you found out what you wanted to know.

Ya he found out geno is in. hahahahaha just kidding. hahahahahaha... unless

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 11.37.16 PM.png

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Sorry I was initially unaware of Fatman's exit from the insider business. I'll refrain from asking stuff like "have u heard Sora???!!1?" in the future.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think you're underestimating just how much the "Waluigi isn't in" meme contributed to the overall situation of the character after his deconfirmation at E3 2018. It was a huge meme that absolutely went viral and everyone I knew that consumed internet culture in the slightest was making comments about Waluigi when you brought up Smash. Did most of those people care about Waluigi or would they ever even put their foot forward for the support of the character? No, he was genuinely an absolute meme for that time period.

That doesn't mean he didn't have genuine supporters that had been pushing for him or that he is somehow "entirely a meme pick." I get how me mentioning "meme pick" can be controversial in its own right because that terminology incorrectly gets used in regards to Geno and his fan base, but this is a different situation entirely where Waluigi getting in, would be due in not an insignificant part due to the meme culture that exploded around him. Because he genuinely appeared in an absolute **** load of memes (Something Geno has never actually been all that prevalent in) and permeated into the general population more so through those memes.

Waluigi is also the first example of the "Smash Bubble" throwing its basically trademark fits at this point, so Waluigi bears the brunt of that too. And I'm not just talking about the death threats (though those were most realized and public with Waluigi too), but the overall toxic entitlement of fans coming to a head. It honestly almost makes me never want to see any upgrades because of the way so many "fans" treat not getting their character in as grounds to just be miserable people. It's fine to be disappointed for a day, voice that and move on, either with your life or a genuine campaign that promotes a positivity in attempting to address a requested characters current status. But stuff like how the community dealt with "Grinch?" No, that's behavior that needs to be handled differently.

I'm just kind of wholly against rewarding the kinds of behavior I see across so much of the board in Smash speculation at deconfirmations and subsequent confirmations with their characters because it absolutely creates a positive feedback loop where the more extreme examples of behavior are incentivized as opposed to the genuine fan campaigns that work genuinely hard to create a case for their character through the appropriate channels and outreach. I don't want just uncontrolled emotional response influencing the roster, I'd rather see the genuine efforts bare fruit and promote that kind of behavior.
It's still just a videogame in the end, I don't think genuine Waluigi fans should have to face stuff like what you're saying/deal with him always being just an AT just because of jerks when I'm sure the majority is likely just silent, and at least the memes are harmless + some (if not a lot) of genuine Waluigi fans also like the memes because let's face it, people find them funny. It's like saying I can't genuinely like Sans or Steve while enjoying all of their memes since I am the ultimate memelord and can handle all of the repeated memes left and right while still getting chuckles out of them.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Like I said, my issue isn't the community. It's 100% insider/leaker culture. I can unironically say that I don't mind questions. The whole purpose of my approach was to be more personable and not sit in an Ivory Tower. I'm sad to say that a lot of insiders flat out resent the public and some take a weird, genuinely upsetting joy out of not only messing with people but flat out lying and fully recognizing that they're lying. In short, it's not cool and despite meeting mostly cool people, the few bad apples are so unapologetically bad it kind of spoils the whole experience.
I am glad to at least have my thoughts justified.

QQS

Smash Lord
Of course this has been asked before, but this is my first time playing Odyssey. Does the Nimbus Arena in Mario Odyssey its related to the Nimbus People in Mario RPG? (Mallow). Im in the New Donk City so for now I don’t know more. I’m just curious for the supposed Mario RPG reference.

Geno for Smash! 12/12. Can’t wait for that reveal. Needs to happen. Gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom