• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Wait, did people actually start thinking that fatman did the cacomallow leak?
I dont think so but with how much telephone were playing as a community it doesn't surprise me at all.
Apparently, according to @ShotoStar: Endgame , someone with 'inside info' said that they believe he did it. We have no further details, but it's a pretty disparaging accusation to throw around, one that I firmly believe is false. Make no mistake: I'm horrified over this and I want a damn good explanation for it.

EDIT: Thanks to Rohanx17 Rohanx17 for catching it, but I meant the Crash/Mallow/Smithy leak that leaked some of B-K's mii costumes, NOT Cacomallow. I'm half-asleep and mixing up my Geno-related leaks. :dizzy:

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Apparently, according to @ShotoStar: Endgame , someone with 'inside info' said that they believe he did it. We have no further details, but it's a pretty disparaging accusation to throw around, one that I firmly believe is false. Make no mistake: I'm horrified over this and I want a damn good explanation for it.
I believe that he said it was the crash/mallow/smithy thing. He went on to say say those same friends have a bone to pick with fatman for whatever reason so it was dead on arrival and I'm honestly surprised he didn't put that together first.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I believe that he said it was the crash/mallow/smithy thing. He went on to say say those same friends have a bone to pick with fatman for whatever reason so it was dead on arrival and I'm honestly surprised he didn't put that together first.
Oh yeah, it was that one, not Cacomallow. Smack me, I shouldn't spew stuff when I'm half-asleep.

D

Deleted member

How's it hanging, eh, compadre?
I had a strong ride of a week between some family drama here and there but also a lot of cool days and situations.

I saw Frozen 2 (which I quite enjoyed more than the first film) and made a good amount of Christmas purchases with my father for example.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I had a strong ride of a week between some family drama here and there but also a lot of cool days and situations.

I saw Frozen 2 (which I quite enjoyed more than the first film) and made a good amount of Christmas purchases with my father for example.
Is it better than the first film? I had a feeling it'd actually be worse.

The fact that this is happening in the Geno thread is just making me think of Geno in Elsa's dress, and I don't know what to do with this mental image.

D

Deleted member

Is it better than the first film? I had a feeling it'd actually be worse.

The fact that this is happening in the Geno thread is just making me think of Geno in Elsa's dress, and I don't know what to do with this mental image.
I did find it better, yeah.

And now I am imagining Geno singing a song from the movie called “Lost In The Woods” (my favourite one from the movie btw).

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Thinking on the Resident Evil spirits event, I wouldn't count a RE rep out of the running for potential spot #5 of the Fighters Pass. The spirit event itself now that I reflect upon it seemed suspicious. Like, why wasn't it held on the last week of October? Why was it held so close to TGA? WHY specifically those four characters? True, Leon, Chris, Jill, and Wesker are among the main characters of the series, but it's too specific. I'm wary of a Piranha Plant scenario in which despite there already existing a spirit of either one of them, we still end up getting a RE character (yes, I'm looking at you two Mr. Kennedy, and Miss Valentine).
Well the first RE came out in March so this event isn't for anniversary's sake so that we can cross out. A lot sleep on the idea but another potential RE rep could be Claire Redfield. RE2 is not just Leon's game y'know and she's had her fair share of appearances throughout the series. I'm just saying.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I can't believe Nintendo paid Disney 11 million dollars to make the song 'Lost in the Woods' for Frozen 2 just to have a hint for Geno in Smash. That's dedication.

But because of that, Sakurai ran out of money for the character trailers. So enjoy Geno's trailer which uses a mop and 2 squirrels.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I can't believe Nintendo paid Disney 11 million dollars to make the song 'Lost in the Woods' for Frozen 2 just to have a hint for Geno in Smash. That's dedication.

But because of that, Sakurai ran out of money for the character trailers. So enjoy Geno's trailer which uses a mop and 2 squirrels.
The idea of geno doing a one man show for his trailer sounds good to me. Maybe he took some pointers from Mario before the journey was over.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Touhou similar to Minecraft in that while it is technically indie, it grew to such popularity (in Japan) that it really isn't considered to be indie anymore?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Touhou similar to Minecraft in that while it is technically indie, it grew to such popularity (in Japan) that it really isn't considered to be indie anymore?
Not really, as ZUN still owns the property and does most of the offical games on his own, in contrast to Minecraft now being owned by Microsoft.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

A small price to pay for Geno
salvation__01.jpg

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I'd say it's definently still indy. Minecraft lost that title because Microsoft bought it not because it got big. Touhou isn't even being localized, hell it only became possible for westerners to legally purchase a few years ago. Sadly because of the nature of how it's sold were probably never going to know how popular it actually is. But if they have enough interest to fill a convention hall every year they must be doing somthing right.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I heard someone say that Gordon was a joke with Jonesy.
No. Just no.
one of those is an obvious joke. The other is a character from a franchise that influenced gaming as we know it today and just so happened to get an announced new game for the first time in 12 years. One is a character from a fad, and the other is from one of the most important franchises ever made.
Ok, sorry, I had to rant for a bit

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This is some abhorrent behavior and I'm honestly shocked to see it coming from you.

I've seen this kind of statement all the time about Geno's fan base, so I'd really think that a fellow Geno fan would understand the woes of Waluigi's. I've met a lot of nice Waluigi fans in my life, and so many of them come from all walks. Painting an entire fan base under one umbrella because of the prevalent bad apples is a terrible thing to do, especially if it means actively going against the idea of making his fans happy. Geno's fans? We get that all the time. It's just... wrong. I'm feverishly against this toxic line of thinking.

That being said, Waluigi is admittedly a can of worms when it comes to assists, namely for long-standing requests like Isaac or Shadow. It definitely makes their fans, namely Isaac's (at least Shadow has a lot of relevance and love elsewhere), look more like chopped liver.

My opinion: I'm neutral on Waluigi. There are a lot of bad and good things about an inclusion like his. I'd be happy for his fans while also feeling awful for Isaac's and my fellow Shadowfriends. It's a lot of mixed emotions.
I think you're underestimating just how much the "Waluigi isn't in" meme contributed to the overall situation of the character after his deconfirmation at E3 2018. It was a huge meme that absolutely went viral and everyone I knew that consumed internet culture in the slightest was making comments about Waluigi when you brought up Smash. Did most of those people care about Waluigi or would they ever even put their foot forward for the support of the character? No, he was genuinely an absolute meme for that time period.

That doesn't mean he didn't have genuine supporters that had been pushing for him or that he is somehow "entirely a meme pick." I get how me mentioning "meme pick" can be controversial in its own right because that terminology incorrectly gets used in regards to Geno and his fan base, but this is a different situation entirely where Waluigi getting in, would be due in not an insignificant part due to the meme culture that exploded around him. Because he genuinely appeared in an absolute **** load of memes (Something Geno has never actually been all that prevalent in) and permeated into the general population more so through those memes.

Waluigi is also the first example of the "Smash Bubble" throwing its basically trademark fits at this point, so Waluigi bears the brunt of that too. And I'm not just talking about the death threats (though those were most realized and public with Waluigi too), but the overall toxic entitlement of fans coming to a head. It honestly almost makes me never want to see any upgrades because of the way so many "fans" treat not getting their character in as grounds to just be miserable people. It's fine to be disappointed for a day, voice that and move on, either with your life or a genuine campaign that promotes a positivity in attempting to address a requested characters current status. But stuff like how the community dealt with "Grinch?" No, that's behavior that needs to be handled differently.

I'm just kind of wholly against rewarding the kinds of behavior I see across so much of the board in Smash speculation at deconfirmations and subsequent confirmations with their characters because it absolutely creates a positive feedback loop where the more extreme examples of behavior are incentivized as opposed to the genuine fan campaigns that work genuinely hard to create a case for their character through the appropriate channels and outreach. I don't want just uncontrolled emotional response influencing the roster, I'd rather see the genuine efforts bare fruit and promote that kind of behavior.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I've been thinking about some things lately and I've decided that I'm retiring from insider stuff. Of course, I'm going to keep speculating because I've done it forever but I've come to realize that it's not good for the "mental health" of the community. Based on things I've witnessed, things I've learned about past events, and people I've interacted with, I don't think it's worth it anymore. The literal moral fatigue that seems to be a common issues in some of these circles is telling. I used to joke about it a lot but, yeah, a lot of insider culture is kind of awful and plenty of other retired insiders have spoken on it but it's gotten to the point that it's not funny anymore.

I used to mention it a lot but a common quote that I used to tell from the NoA source is "this isn't fun. Why would anyone want to do this?" After being it in more than a year, it's gotten to be too much. Even the NoA source said that they were going to retire after the VGAs and roughly half of the Private Discord has been like "yeah, I don't want to do this too much longer..." I've met some cool people like Slender, Rummy, Nazyrus, and of course the NoA source by being invited to the group but it's become like watching the news, seeing awful things unfold and people do awful things for e-cred and fame and it's nothing short of exhausting some days.

If fewer people listen to what I have to say because of this announcement, that's fine. Both Paragon and KronoXIII gave me some surprisingly sage advice on this topic in recent weeks and Paragon's particularly stuck with me. To paraphrase "Despite being 'cancelled', I'm still here." That's oddly comforting. Even after the community hardcore dumped on both of them, they still came back. Why? Because they cared about the community. It was never about efame for them but simply contributing to the community and that's pretty groovy. That said, I quickly became nostalgic for the days where I was just a theorycrafter and able to piece together things with public information. All and all, that's always been my place and that's cool.

Like I said, this was never meant to be a long-term thing so "retiring early" is kind of an easy decision to make. I'll just go ahead and say this, you know who you are, and if you're an insider that's just kind of burned out on the whole thing, I can assure you that the community will welcome you back as "regular joes." I hope this doesn't upset anyone because it's not meant to. It's just recognizing that the Smash community already has a plethora of problems and one of the core pillars of speculation shouldn't be one of them. Of course, I'll still answer questions and I have no intention of doing a "dump" of private info because, again, privacy and trust is still important to me. I hope you all are perfectly fine with just being Fatmanonice, the guy that overthinks everything, again.

One last thing I want to say: the NoA ambassador is a real bro and I honestly wish him the best in life. I know this has been stressful this past year but it's been greatly appreciated. Even without the info, they're still an incredible human being and I hope they recognize this when they retire. Still, thank you for everything and especially helping me revive the Geno fanbase when it was at its most defeated. It means the world to me so thank you and best of luck in the future.
That’s unfortunate, but I totally understand. Sounds like leaking has not only become mentally but also legally dangerous as well (wah). Thanks for all you’ve shared with us. I look forward to seeing more of your theorizing

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Things really haven't been the same since Nintendo upgraded from Ninjas to hired mafia hitmen to take care of their dirty work. I can understand how that can be stressful.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I wouldn't buy Sol or Travis.
Right now, someone like Sora, Phoenix Wright or a huge franchise that nobody is speculating should be it.
And no, I don't expect a Square character as DLC 5. Neither Sephiroth nor Geno.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I wouldn't buy Sol or Travis.
Right now, someone like Sora, Phoenix Wright or a huge franchise that nobody is speculating should be it.
And no, I don't expect a Square character as DLC 5. Neither Sephiroth nor Geno.
But Sora is a Square character.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I am overjoyed to hear you are getting out of the "insider" business! You, Sabi and the others were able to bring back Hope to the Geno Thread over a year ago. But as time went on, I could just tell, ever so slightly, you were changing. It is not a "Oh look at me and all my knowledge!" kind of change, but rather a "Oh dear God, all this knowledge is suffocating" change. If that makes sense?

Hopefully that relieves a lot of stress, my friend. I cannot wait to theory craft along side you!

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
not wanting a character because they were meme'd
Glad to see that with what is going on with a our main fat lad that some things don't change.

Speaking of Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I just wanted to talk to you a bit my dude.

You are the champion of this thread, and you were the champion of the previous thread and as far as I'm concerned if we were to charge into battle right now, everyone would be waiting for your speech because you are our leader. You are the Aragorn to our Men of the West, or to put it more modern, you are the Benimaru to our Fire Force Company 7. When you post, everyone stops to read what you have to say, and that was true much before you were part of the "In with the insiders but not and actual insider lmao" circle.

Your theories that were based on nothing more than common knowledge and Doc Brown levels of crazy inspiration were an absolute treat and, in someways, I think your identity was becoming lost in the shuffle of this change. It feels like you took the opportunity to gives us a bit more but you were slowly losing your soul and people were changing how they looked at you. When people started talking **** about you outside of this thread is when I knew things were not gonna end well and I'm glad that you are pulling out. Now we can go back to asking you questions about your theories rather than how desperate certain people have been about insider knowledge. "Fatman, what did you hear about this? What about that? What about these and those and them? FATMANFATMANFAAAATMAAAAAAN!!!!"

Honestly, I'm glad you are making this change. To me, it's like when your favorite anime protag loses their way trying to do something great and then comes back to their roots regardless of what others may say or think. This is FatManOnIce's turnabout arc and this pleases me greatly to see a return to form. And honestly, we all could use a break from insider knowledge. It's done nothing but turn us into a bunch of apes bouncing around and screeching while looking for the next bit of banana. Normally I'm very chill with how insiders work and even I'm bored of the goose chase.

Welcome home, Fatman...welcome home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom