• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Grasshopper Manufacture is a very small company with a grand total of 20 employees, which would make it very easy for them to keep a lid on leaks.

Food for thought, there might be something to FP5 being such volatile information.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Oi Fatman, I see you looking at this thread, is there anything you want to say to us?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Oi Fatman, I see you looking at this thread, is there anything you want to say to us?
You need to chill out

Allow someone to browse a thread without bothering them.

If you’re that bored you should go do something else

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Thinking on the Resident Evil spirits event, I wouldn't count a RE rep out of the running for potential spot #5 of the Fighters Pass. The spirit event itself now that I reflect upon it seemed suspicious. Like, why wasn't it held on the last week of October? Why was it held so close to TGA? WHY specifically those four characters? True, Leon, Chris, Jill, and Wesker are among the main characters of the series, but it's too specific. I'm wary of a Piranha Plant scenario in which despite there already existing a spirit of either one of them, we still end up getting a RE character (yes, I'm looking at you two Mr. Kennedy, and Miss Valentine).

On another note, with the alleged deconfirmation for the 5th spot in the Pass of a Namco and LEVEL-5 rep, the remaining pool of potential candidates dropped noticeably. No Falcom, no Namco, no LEVEL-5, certainly would be odd to double-dip on Square-Enix, no SEGA by proxy due to Atlus. Can't recall if any other third party was discarded as having a potential rep for the 5th spot. Besides those deconfirms, specific character ones include (allegedly) the ones that have already been listed previously on this thread (which include Crash, Geno, Ryu Hayabusa, etc.).

At this point it seems reasonable that there's no way insiders/leakers will risk the mere thought of confirming a specific third party a-la "it's from Taito", or "it's from Capcom". Given the information that has filtered thus far would make it somewhat easier to narrow down the candidates.

The wait continues.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
In my opinion we're all a big family here in the Geno thread, we threat each other with love and respect and even if there are some bad apples at the end of the day is for the best to not give them any more attention from what they are already searching for with that toxic behavior. but still the Smash fanbase in general is very messy and strange to say the least
Okay I know you meant “treat” but I like to think that you meant we threaten people with love and respect

“You better watch out, you come in this thread and we’re gonna respect your opinion and treat you with kindness! D:<“

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've been thinking about some things lately and I've decided that I'm retiring from insider stuff. Of course, I'm going to keep speculating because I've done it forever but I've come to realize that it's not good for the "mental health" of the community. Based on things I've witnessed, things I've learned about past events, and people I've interacted with, I don't think it's worth it anymore. The literal moral fatigue that seems to be a common issues in some of these circles is telling. I used to joke about it a lot but, yeah, a lot of insider culture is kind of awful and plenty of other retired insiders have spoken on it but it's gotten to the point that it's not funny anymore.

I used to mention it a lot but a common quote that I used to tell from the NoA source is "this isn't fun. Why would anyone want to do this?" After being it in more than a year, it's gotten to be too much. Even the NoA source said that they were going to retire after the VGAs and roughly half of the Private Discord has been like "yeah, I don't want to do this too much longer..." I've met some cool people like Slender, Rummy, Nazyrus, and of course the NoA source by being invited to the group but it's become like watching the news, seeing awful things unfold and people do awful things for e-cred and fame and it's nothing short of exhausting some days.

If fewer people listen to what I have to say because of this announcement, that's fine. Both Paragon and KronoXIII gave me some surprisingly sage advice on this topic in recent weeks and Paragon's particularly stuck with me. To paraphrase "Despite being 'cancelled', I'm still here." That's oddly comforting. Even after the community hardcore dumped on both of them, they still came back. Why? Because they cared about the community. It was never about efame for them but simply contributing to the community and that's pretty groovy. That said, I quickly became nostalgic for the days where I was just a theorycrafter and able to piece together things with public information. All and all, that's always been my place and that's cool.

Like I said, this was never meant to be a long-term thing so "retiring early" is kind of an easy decision to make. I'll just go ahead and say this, you know who you are, and if you're an insider that's just kind of burned out on the whole thing, I can assure you that the community will welcome you back as "regular joes." I hope this doesn't upset anyone because it's not meant to. It's just recognizing that the Smash community already has a plethora of problems and one of the core pillars of speculation shouldn't be one of them. Of course, I'll still answer questions and I have no intention of doing a "dump" of private info because, again, privacy and trust is still important to me. I hope you all are perfectly fine with just being Fatmanonice, the guy that overthinks everything, again.

One last thing I want to say: the NoA ambassador is a real bro and I honestly wish him the best in life. I know this has been stressful this past year but it's been greatly appreciated. Even without the info, they're still an incredible human being and I hope they recognize this when they retire. Still, thank you for everything and especially helping me revive the Geno fanbase when it was at its most defeated. It means the world to me so thank you and best of luck in the future.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Okay I know you meant “treat” but I like to think that you meant we threaten people with love and respect

“You better watch out, you come in this thread and we’re gonna respect your opinion and treat you with kindness! D:<“
"Watch out partner, you better not say bad things because we are going to hug you"

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about some things lately and I've decided that I'm retiring from insider stuff. Of course, I'm going to keep speculating because I've done it forever but I've come to realize that it's not good for the "mental health" of the community. Based on things I've witnessed, things I've learned about past events, and people I've interacted with, I don't think it's worth it anymore. The literal moral fatigue that seems to be a common issues in some of these circles is telling. I used to joke about it a lot but, yeah, a lot of insider culture is kind of awful and plenty of other retired insiders have spoken on it but it's gotten to the point that it's not funny anymore.

I used to mention it a lot but a common quote that I used to tell from the NoA source is "this isn't fun. Why would anyone want to do this?" After being it in more than a year, it's gotten to be too much. Even the NoA source said that they were going to retire after the VGAs and roughly half of the Private Discord has been like "yeah, I don't want to do this too much longer..." I've met some cool people like Slender, Rummy, Nazyrus, and of course the NoA source by being invited to the group but it's become like watching the news, seeing awful things unfold and people do awful things for e-cred and fame and it's nothing short of exhausting some days.

If fewer people listen to what I have to say because of this announcement, that's fine. Both Paragon and KronoXIII gave me some surprisingly sage advice on this topic in recent weeks and Paragon's particularly stuck with me. To paraphrase "Despite being 'cancelled', I'm still here." That's oddly comforting. Even after the community hardcore dumped on both of them, they still came back. Why? Because they cared about the community. It was never about efame for them but simply contributing to the community and that's pretty groovy. That said, I quickly became nostalgic for the days where I was just a theorycrafter and able to piece together things with public information. All and all, that's always been my place and that's cool.

Like I said, this was never meant to be a long-term thing so "retiring early" is kind of an easy decision to make. I'll just go ahead and say this, you know who you are, and if you're an insider that's just kind of burned out on the whole thing, I can assure you that the community will welcome you back as "regular joes." I hope this doesn't upset anyone because it's not meant to. It's just recognizing that the Smash community already has a plethora of problems and one of the core pillars of speculation shouldn't be one of them. Of course, I'll still answer questions and I have no intention of doing a "dump" of private info because, again, privacy and trust is still important to me. I hope you all are perfectly fine with just being Fatmanonice, the guy that overthinks everything, again.

One last thing I want to say: the NoA ambassador is a real bro and I honestly wish him the best in life. I know this has been stressful this past year but it's been greatly appreciated. Even without the info, they're still an incredible human being and I hope they recognize this when they retire. Still, thank you for everything and especially helping me revive the Geno fanbase when it was at its most defeated. It means the world to me so thank you and best of luck in the future.
Well I for one always appreciated your contributions as our man on the inside. I'm going to miss hearing the hot new scoops from the horses mouth because having a way to validate my hunches was extremely gratifying. That said it'll be nice to have you around more and it's not like you burned that bridge to get here anyway. Even so we still have sabi,verge, and the other discord members still hanging on like naz. If anything maybe this will flush out the people that couldn't care less about geno and just wanted to speculate on your info.

I hope you know that this is an open invitation to pester you with our nonsense again so be prepared.

Aside from the Reimu thread, is the doujin “leak” pretty much dead to everyone?
I thought the guy confessed to copying info from a tweet no one saw?

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Well I for one always appreciated your contributions as our man on the inside. I'm going to miss hearing the hot new scoops from the horses mouth because having a way to validate my hunches was extremely gratifying. That said it'll be nice to have you around more and it's not like you burned that bridge to get here anyway. Even so we still have sabi,verge, and the other discord members still hanging on like naz. If anything maybe this will flush out the people that couldn't care less about geno and just wanted to speculate on your info.

I hope you know that this is an open invitation to pester you with our nonsense again so be prepared.

I thought the guy confessed to copying info from a tweet no one saw?
The reimu thread still thinks it could be real for some reason.

But yeah, if the guy confessed, then there is no reason to believe it.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm surprised any insiders wanted to play ball after the Smash fanbase's attitude during the Grinch hoax. And the constant hounding of asking questions, particularly questions that were answered 3 minutes earlier. Some users were obsessing over specific questions like they were an attorney, trying to find holes/lies in the insiders' statements.

I think things were getting a bit too heated here with character 5. They come out in less than 2 weeks, and with the Christmas season, that will fly by quickly. Plus, odds are it's just the reveal and their release is a month or 2 away. What's more, what exactly CAN we do with knowing who they are now? Sounds like leaking them would have significant backlash, especially seeing how series Gamefreak is about those stolen Swish copies that spoiled the game.

Maybe it's just best for everyone if we just go into the VGAs blind.

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
Leak culture definitely feels toxic, glad that you will still be hanging around fatman , I really feel like slot 6/7/8 could be starboi’s time

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like I said, my issue isn't the community. It's 100% insider/leaker culture. I can unironically say that I don't mind questions. The whole purpose of my approach was to be more personable and not sit in an Ivory Tower. I'm sad to say that a lot of insiders flat out resent the public and some take a weird, genuinely upsetting joy out of not only messing with people but flat out lying and fully recognizing that they're lying. In short, it's not cool and despite meeting mostly cool people, the few bad apples are so unapologetically bad it kind of spoils the whole experience.

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
The reimu thread still thinks it could be real for some reason.

But yeah, if the guy confessed, then there is no reason to believe it.
Don't mean to be in denial myself but, are you sure they confessed to the doujin leak being fake? Maybe you got it mixed up with the Reimu-Yukari tag team rumor. Then again, I called the bluff on that the moment I saw it...

Also hello Geno fans. Shower me with your love.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

Frankly I'm surprised you stuck with it for this long, with all the vitriol that gets thrown at you, not to mention the incessant questions requesting little nuggets of that sweet sweet black tar insider info. That said, your wild and crazy conspiracy theory level speculation is part of why I keep coming back to this thread. So in that sense, Welcome back! (Though I don't personally see you as having ever left) The point I'm trying to frame is that I respect your decision, and I'd do the same thing in your shoes. Still looking forward to your big geno speculation post!

This is Vergeben/Sabi whenever people bring up a potential character
Never before has a post been so accurate.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Don't mean to be in denial myself but, are you sure they confessed to the doujin leak being fake? Maybe you got it mixed up with the Reimu-Yukari tag team rumor. Then again, I called the bluff on that the moment I saw it...

Yeah, I don't recall it ever being confessed fake. It looked like a copy, but traits were noticed that proved that it was not exactly a copy, so now it's in a sort of leak purgatory.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I’m probably going to be shunned for this but who is Reimu?
The main character of the Touhou series, a very big indie game series in Japan known for its tough bullet hell gameplay, awesome music, and mountains of fan content.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Can't even blame you one bit, especially after seeing that people have apparently started smearing untrue **** about you. (Not even blindly following Fatman out of 'worship', for the people I can already hear in the back. After talking with him, I 100% know he didn't make the Cacomallow leak, as it would simply make no sense at all with the information that's out there.) By all means, you've had moments where you've shown your flaws, and yes, I understand why some people might have a beef with you, but this slanderous stuff really feels like the straw over the camel's back. I feel like certain people have a lot of explaining to do.

Hope you can live a nice, relatively stress-free life as a pure speculator from now, my man.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
What character are people leaning towards now? Reimu, Travis Touchdown, a Capcom character who isn't Phoenix Wright or Dante?

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice how likely do you think Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X is?
I'm not Fatman but I have no hope for her anymore. Out of all the Xenoblade games, X is definitely the least relevant right now with XC2 being a huge success on the Switch and XCDE coming up next year. She doesn't have all that much fan demand either, especially if you compare her to Rex & Pyra who (I believe?) where among Japan's most wanted for base game. The fact that her game was a Wii U exclusive doesn't help either... still salty they picked XC over XCX for a remaster.

D

Deleted member

The main character of the Touhou series, a very big indie game series in Japan known for its tough bullet hell gameplay, awesome music, and mountains of fan content.
Ok. So, it is indie? Don’t know if she’s very likely considering the representation indies are getting in Smash. Doesn’t mean she can’t be the first though.

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
I’m probably going to be shunned for this but who is Reimu?
I feel ya pain. Not many people know, really. Reimu is kinda niche.

Basically, Reimu Hakurei is the main protagonist of Touhou Project, an indie bullet hell series with 6 fighting game spinoffs (1 coming to the Switch), 1 upcoming platformer spinoff, and an absolute crapton of fanworks.

Seriously. She's like the face of Japanese otaku culture, and apparently the Chinese even named a flower after her.

Anyways, Reimu is a shrine maiden whose job is to exterminate troublesome youkai and protect the Hakurei border, which separates Gensokyo (the Touhou world) and the real world.

As for her chances in Smash, well, after Friday the 13th on Elm Street:Smash Ultimate Edition, Reimu is actually a frontrunner, alongside Sora, KOS-MOS and a few others. She essentially represents not only bullet hell, but also probably indie games as a whole. Touhou has left a massive goddamn legacy on otaku culture. And the doujin leak? There's only been one attempt to really disprove it...and it ended up making the leak look even better.

Oh, and most importantly, the soundtrack. They're freaking bangers. Just have a listen to Bad Apple(a vocalized remix of a really old soundtrack that ended up being as popular as Touhou itself) or Maiden's Capriccio ~ Dream Battle(Reimu's theme in Touhou 8). If you like electronic music, I guarantee you will fall in love.

Sorry. My inner fanboy might have showed there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Completly understandable Fatmanonice hope you enjoy being back in the speculation scene and hope it's less stressful. Thanks for all the information you have us. Glad you're here with us as usual.

Also Reimu is from the bullet hell games Touhou main character of that series, who fends of creatures known as Yo-Kai.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

Idk, I saw someone else say that.

But confession or not, I’m pretty sure that leak is mostly dead now.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

I've known (of) you for my entire adult life under names no one but KCCHIEFS27 KCCHIEFS27 remembers anymore and I can say with no hesitation that I've grown to trust you implicitly. The little shreds of info you've gotten have made this thread significantly more comfy and has given speculation at least some direction in our driest months

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm not Fatman but I have no hope for her anymore. Out of all the Xenoblade games, X is definitely the least relevant right now with XC2 being a huge success on the Switch and XCDE coming up next year. She doesn't have all that much fan demand either, especially if you compare her to Rex & Pyra who (I believe?) where among Japan's most wanted for base game. The fact that her game was a Wii U exclusive doesn't help either... still salty they picked XC over XCX for a remaster.
1. "It's not about how recognizable a character is, it's about if they would be fun to play." - Sakurai

2. Elma's voice actress announcing in last November that she was playing a role for something. She still hasn't said what that role is.

3. No Xenoblade Chronicle X music in the game whatsoever.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ok. So, it is indie? Don’t know if she’s very likely considering the representation indies are getting in Smash. Doesn’t mean she can’t be the first though.
To be fair, she has a legacy that could assist her very well. I mean, Touhou has over a dozen of official games(Edit: Actually, there is 20+ official games), and that is before you consider some of the fangames, which ZUN(The creator of Touhou) has allowed to flourish and even be monetized.
I feel ya pain. Not many people know, really. Reimu is kinda niche.

Basically, Reimu Hakurei is the main protagonist of Touhou Project, an indie bullet hell series with 6 fighting game spinoffs (1 coming to the Switch), 1 upcoming platformer spinoff, and an absolute crapton of fanworks.

Seriously. She's like the face of Japanese otaku culture, and apparently the Chinese even named a flower after her.

Anyways, Reimu is a shrine maiden whose job is to exterminate troublesome youkai and protect the Hakurei border, which separates Gensokyo (the Touhou world) and the real world.

As for her chances in Smash, well, after Friday the 13th on Elm Street:Smash Ultimate Edition, Reimu is actually a frontrunner, alongside Sora, KOS-MOS and a few others. She essentially represents not only bullet hell, but also probably indie games as a whole. Touhou has left a massive goddamn legacy on otaku culture. And the doujin leak? There's only been one attempt to really disprove it...and it ended up making the leak look even better.

Oh, and most importantly, the soundtrack. They're freaking bangers. Just have a listen to Bad Apple(a vocalized remix of a really old soundtrack that ended up being as popular as Touhou itself) or Maiden's Capriccio ~ Dream Battle(Reimu's theme in Touhou 8). If you like electronic music, I guarantee you will fall in love.

Sorry. My inner fanboy might have showed there.
No problem, it's great to see someone talk about what they are passionate about.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
The rating thread did a day for her. So if your looking for a more detailed synopsis as well as the community's opinion of her situation that would be the best place to look.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Can't even blame you one bit, especially after seeing that people have apparently started smearing untrue **** about you. (Not even blindly following Fatman out of 'worship', for the people I can already hear in the back. After talking with him, I 100% know he didn't make the Cacomallow leak, as it would simply make no sense at all with the information that's out there.) By all means, you've had moments where you've shown your flaws, and yes, I understand why some people might have a beef with you, but this slanderous stuff really feels like the straw over the camel's back. I feel like certain people have a lot of explaining to do.

Hope you can live a nice, relatively stress-free life as a pure speculator from now, my man.
Wait, did people actually start thinking that fatman did the cacomallow leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom