• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe Namco and Level-5 are out of the running, at least if Vergeben is to be believed. I think my top choice for #5 at this point would probably have to be Phoenix Wright, though I'm still kind of uncertain. I'd like Waluigi to be #5, but I don't see Waluigi coming with Waluigi Pinball and Waluigi related music and Waluigi spirits (as much as I'd love that). Not to mention the pass has been entirely third party so far.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I mean, the pass started with two JRPG reps, so I don't think it's out of the question.
That’s exactly it, though. Regardless of the genre, I don’t see the pass ending up as “two in a row of one genre, one of a second, and then two in a row of a third”, otherwise known as Mirror Theory.

I’m quite certain that they’ll throw one other genre in there, though what that could be, I have no idea.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
That’s exactly it, though. Regardless of the genre, I don’t see the pass ending up as “two in a row of one genre, one of a second, and then two in a row of a third”, otherwise known as Mirror Theory.

I’m pretty certain that they’ll throw one other genre in there, though what that could be, I have no idea.
It may be a different genre for 5 but I think the take away here is the pass clearly wasn't designed with genre balance in mind and we need to stop acting like it.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
So, I find it interesting how much focus has been placed on who isn’t coming. Like, whoever this character is, they’re so dangerous or risky to talk about that the high-up sources who are in the know can only deconfirm characters.

Who is this character that they literally can’t be talked about and can only be talked around?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I’m largely certain that they’ll throw one other genre in there, though what that could be, I have no idea.
Why though? I mean, I can get why that would seem weird, but not why it would be unlikely.

D

Deleted member

I’m gonna head out. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and quite the day for Smash speculation. We are inching closer to the Game Awards!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So, I find it interesting how much focus has been placed on who isn’t coming. Like, whoever this character is, they’re so dangerous or risky to talk about that the high-up sources who are in the know can only deconfirm characters.

Who is this character that they literally can’t be talked about and can only be talked around?
According to Fatman's posts today? Waluigi apparently. He's extremely toxic to even mention for obvious reasons and is apparently a gigantic sourspot even in the insider circles.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It may be a different genre for 5 but I think the take away here is the pass clearly wasn't designed with genre balance in mind and we need to stop acting like it.
I feel like this would have been the perfect time to do that also. With so many different genres unrepresented. It would have been nice to get a fighter pass that was like JRPG, Fighter, Platformer, Puzzle, Strategy.

Smash is supposed to be a celebration about gaming after all. But Sakurai does what Sakurai does.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I told you all not to bank on Nightmare lol, I told you him and Sol were names the NoA source didn't believe over 30% even.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
According to Fatman's posts today? Waluigi apparently. He's extremely toxic to even mention for obvious reasons and is apparently a gigantic sourspot even in the insider circles.
I see Waluigi as post-pass, not for #5

I don't see them randomly ending on a first party when the entire pass has been third party characters, and especially ending on Waluigi, who was already out most likely by the time DLC was decided on

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Hear me out, full scale Mario RPG game, customizable party members. Shyguy Disguise for Geno. (I kinda wanna make customization concepts for the rest. This was fun.)
1575169903733.png

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I feel like this would have been the perfect time to do that also. With so many different genres unrepresented. It would have been nice to get a fighter pass that was like JRPG, Fighter, Platformer, Puzzle, Strategy.

Smash is supposed to be a celebration about gaming after all.
I get that but I'm not personally upset they didn't. I think Smash's strong roster comes from who these characters are not what genre they are from so adding people just for the sake of token representation is far less preferable. At least that's my take.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm sorry, but why do so many people think monokuma has a chance? That's literally just the most random thing. We know Sabi wasn't hinting at him for smash with that tweet, so what reason is there to legitimately think Danganronpa of all things is getting in?

Edit: No hate to Danganronpa. I'd love if he got in. I just don't get why so many are putting stock in it.

Last edited:

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
I’m so tired of all this

just tell me Geno isn’t dlc, give me something for the pain, and let me die

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
To put it in perspective, the last time Verge was right about Smash, an entire generation of butterflies was born, lived, and died. I really don't buy it.
Looked it up, that is about 6 to 8 moths. Thanks for the input on this situation. Hopefully Sab can get some more clarification soon.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Ok this is kinda getting ridiculous at this point. Ive given up caring for #5. Just get me to 6 and 7 so I can get to Geno and Lloyd

D

Deleted member

I was going to make one huge final post to explain why I was leaving but I'll just make this post:

OffBi OffBi and Waluigi is not getting in Waluigi is not getting in were completely out of line for not just the past day but the past two days and it.. kinda made me feel embarrassed to be here. Offbi has said a lot of just...bad things for the past few months that he needs to stop. He said that censor dodging a very bad word was right and "changes everything" I found that to be insensitive to say the least then he and WINGI were both very crude and awful about Lloyd even having the chance of getting in saying how they would be smug if Lloyd was getting in, That he was very generic dumb and had no unique potential.

Some people like Lloyd and some even have more of a connection to him than any of us have to Geno while it may be hard to imagine for some people need to realize that while some may not like the character some others do and find him an amazing character so we should all grow up and be respectful of each others' character choices. Please do so and please don't be clowns.

And...This is the part that made me want to leave, This is the part where it hurts the most out of anything that the thread has ever done and despite my friend group making fun of you I always stood up for you and gave you the benefit of the doubt, always because I thought we were friends. What did he say? it's this: Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I have a friend that knows someone who has an insider source and.. He says that you made the "Crash + Smithy and Mallow" mii costume leak.

I want to give you the chance to explain yourself cause I really don't it to be true so did you? If so why? For what purpose? why did you lie to not just me but everyone if this is the case?

I'll probably be disliked for this post but I just want to give the man a chance to explain himself before I jump to conclusions cause I went through multiple posts before this one not doing the case so please respond to my question and explain yourself if the accusation is true.

If it's not? Then I'm sorry for asking this and being an idiot but I'll wait on that one. Please give us the truth and nothing but the truth.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but why do so many people think monokuma has a chance? That's literally just the most random thing. We know Sabi wasn't hinting at him for smash with that tweet, so what reason is there to legitimately think Danganronpa of all things is getting in?
Alot of people in the Smash Community seem to have this weird bias where if a different character is decofirmed it means their character has a greater chance of getting in, which is really silly way of looking at things.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Ok this is kinda getting ridiculous at this point. Ive given up caring for #5. Just get me to 6 and 7 so I can get to Geno and Lloyd
Yup, I've never been terribly attached to #5, or anyone so far in the pass besides Joker. I have played Lloyd's game back in the day, so he would've at least been a happy ending for me.

Basically, bring on the post pass. All the characters I want are only possible in that.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Let's be honest: is there really any reason to believe Verge on this? Even Sabi has mocked his unreliability in the past year.
Sabi's recent tweet seemed to give Verge some credit, so I imagine that is a factor.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
At this point, I'm thinking Phoenix Wright, Travis Touchdown, or Sub Zero. Yes, haha sub zero, you don't need to explain why it's not happening. I still give him a decent chance.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I know, and Waluigi stock rose just like that. But I’m lingering on the whole “everybody in the DLC has been a 3rd-party who didn’t receive a newcomer in Ultimate already, and Waluigi is 1st-party from a series which already saw Daisy in the base game and Piranha Plant as the bonus DLC.

But like, if people’s jobs are on the line or leaking this and/or the character is so volatile that people can’t or won’t say who it is even so close now to the VGAs, I think the mystery of who it is has now become so much more intriguing because whoever this is, they’re on lockdown and it feels like it’s a matter of national security or something to keep them hidden haha

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about this a bit now, can you imagine what all the events we've gone through the past few months would have been like if the new dlc announcement had been saved for the fighter 5 reveal? terry being in the pass, the 45 minute non direct, the past few weeks of constant deconfirmation upon deconfirmation. Jeez the cacomallow leak would have actually been grinch 2.0 in every meaning of the word. Choosing to let it out of the bag so early has been the smartest decision sakurai and nintendo have made this whole year.

Last edited:

Zac's Realm

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7852-2717-2984
It's not random at all.

Sakurai is a big fan of Kodaka's work, having sent him a letter of appreciation when Kodaka went on to form his own studio, and Monokuma is pretty much Kodaka's baby in addition to being a reasonably popular character.
A Dangan Ronpa character was the officially recognized most cosplayed character in 2018, and while I recognize that's not exactly a huge niche, it shows people do know of the series. Monokuma's the mascot of the series, so, it seems like a natural fit.

There are things against him too, don't get me wrong. A lot of things, even. But it's not 'random', he fits the Thank You theory well imo, and would be completely new to Smash as per what Reggie said.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
But like, if people’s jobs are on the line or leaking this and/or the character is so volatile that people can’t or won’t say who it is even so close now to the VGAs, I think the mystery of who it is has now become so much more intriguing because whoever this is, they’re on lockdown and it feels like it’s a matter of national security or something to keep them hidden haha
If this is the reason, I highly doubt Sol Badguy would be the character they do this with. Seems super odd for a character most people aren't going to believe anyway.

This type of treatment I would expect from a big name superstar.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I was going to make one huge final post to explain why I was leaving but I'll just make this post:

OffBi OffBi and Waluigi is not getting in Waluigi is not getting in were completely out of line for not just the past day but the past two days and it.. kinda made me feel embarrassed to be here. Offbi has said a lot of just...bad things for the past few months that he needs to stop. He said that censor dodging a very bad word was right and "changes everything" I found that to be insensitive to say the least then he and WINGI were both very crude and awful about Lloyd even having the chance of getting in saying how they would be smug if Lloyd was getting in, That he was very generic dumb and had no unique potential.

Some people like Lloyd and some even have more of a connection to him than any of us have to Geno while it may be hard to imagine for some people need to realize that while some may not like the character some others do and find him an amazing character so we should all grow up and be respectful of each others' character choices. Please do so and please don't be clowns.

And...This is the part that made me want to leave, This is the part where it hurts the most out of anything that the thread has ever done and despite my friend group making fun of you I always stood up for you and gave you the benefit of the doubt, always because I thought we were friends. What did he say? it's this: Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I have a friend that knows someone who has an insider source and.. He says that you made the "Crash + Smithy and Mallow" mii costume leak.

I want to give you the chance to explain yourself cause I really don't it to be true so did you? If so why? For what purpose? why did you lie to not just me but everyone if this is the case?

I'll probably be disliked for this post but I just want to give the man a chance to explain himself before I jump to conclusions cause I went through multiple posts before this one not doing the case so please respond to my question and explain yourself if the accusation is true.

If it's not? Then I'm sorry for asking this and being an idiot but I'll wait on that one. Please give us the truth and nothing but the truth.
I know this thread got toxic when the Lloyd debates were going on but please don't leave man. Every Genobro is an asset to the team.

And Fatmanonice has told me on Discord before that he didn't make the Mallow/Smithy leak. I believe him on that one.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

My first ever conversation with Papageno's on Discord. Note the timestamp:

Screenshot_20191130-212313.png

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Obv understand the Verge doubt, but if we consider for a moment that he is legit on this and Namco and Level-5 are out, what companies are left that follow “Thank You Theory”? Just from a place of theorycrafting, not necessarily asking for any insider knowledge you can’t reveal anyways.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I have a friend that knows someone who has an insider source and.. He says that you made the "Crash + Smithy and Mallow" mii costume leak.

bruh what?

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Guys, there was never a Fifth Fighter. Smash Bros Ultimate never existed. There was never these characters that ya'll were talking about.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's not random at all.

Sakurai is a big fan of Kodaka's work, having sent him a letter of appreciation when Kodaka went on to form his own studio, and Monokuma is pretty much Kodaka's baby in addition to being a reasonably popular character.
A Dangan Ronpa character was the officially recognized most cosplayed character in 2018, and while I recognize that's not exactly a huge niche, it shows people do know of the series. Monokuma's the mascot of the series, so, it seems like a natural fit.

There are things against him too, don't get me wrong. A lot of things, even. But it's not 'random', he fits the Thank You theory well imo, and would be completely new to Smash as per what Reggie said.
So basically, he's in the same boat as every other game Sakurai raves about. Sakurai raves about a lot of games. And like 90% of them at least are much bigger and more iconic than Danganronpa. It would be one thing if it was just like an individual or a couple people with a hunch. But it seems like half the people on this thread are talking about monokuma in smash and it just confuses me.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

Edit: No hate to Danganronpa. I'd love if he got in. I just don't get why so many are putting stock in it.

I’ll explain.

Sakurai has praised the Danganronpa creator in the past for his work, and Spike & Nintendo have had a pretty chummy relationship. Not only is his competition getting smaller, but Sakurai himself has completely debunked the relevancy argument. And he would fit PERFECTLY with what Reggie said at the VGAs last year, with characters “you would not anticipate”, and Sakurai “looking for unique characters”.

Its still a slim chance, but it is a chance nonetheless.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Isn’t that exactly what two-one-two would be, just in a different way of putting it? Literal preplanned balance.

...Well, if today’s comments have been anything to go by? Flat-out, Waluigi.

Why though? I mean, I can get why that would seem weird, but not why it would be unlikely.
Mostly due to the whole blind purchase nature of the pass. If it was just five random separate characters, patterns would basically mean nothing. But when you sell this kind of thing up-front as a mystery purchase, there’s sort of this expectation of variety, and only having a single character that isn’t an RPG or fighting game rep really doesn’t add up for me.

Again, I don’t know what kind of character they’d end on, but I personally doubt it’s going to either be the third JRPG rep of the pass or the second fighter in a row.

Actually, with Sakurai’s previous comments about Joker’s announcement, there’s a legitimate chance that it wasn’t even planned to have two JRPG reps in a row to begin with, for all we know Banjo could have been planned for #2 until Nintendo wanted Joker first instead.

For me, it’s the following:

-It’s a company new to Smash, like the last four characters have (technically) been.
-It would represent a new genre as yet unseen in the Pass, or Smash in general.
-It has absolutely incredible music, which seems to be a surprisingly notable part of these Challenger Packs.
-Sakurai loves the games and has even sent a “congratulations on your new studio” letter to the creator before.

I’m not counting him out for quite a while, personally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom