• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
That'd definitely put a pin in the "Everyone in the FP belongs to a third party company" fanrule.
Speaking of which, is there a Nintendo series that's yet to be in Smash?
Star Tropics unless you count the one mention in the Western version of the Chronicle from Brawl.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That'd definitely put a pin in the "Everyone in the FP belongs to a third party company" fanrule.
Something something Advance/Nintendo Wars.

I.e. The franchise that started in 1988, has 12 games across most Nintendo systems, is one of Ninteneo's most critically acclaimed franchises, directly influenced Fire Emblem and other complex games to come to the West, has one of the most unique movesets to bring to Smash, and yet only has 4 lousy spirits in Ultimate.

Yeah my bias is showing I guess but it's really BS how the franchise has been treated in both Ultimate and the Smash series since Brawl.

EDIT: If you're talking about a franchise that's never been in Smash before in any capacity then it's Startropics.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Depends - do you mean "in Smash in any form" or "in Smash's playable roster"?

If it's the second one, then there's a lot of them. If it's the first one, then the only one that comes to mind is StarTropics. (which never got a release in Japan - as a result, it didn't even get a Sticker in Brawl or a Spirit in Ultimate, let alone a trophy)

No more heroes
As great as it would be to see it in Smash, No More Heroes is a third party franchise, so it doesn't answer that question.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Alright let's all calm down here

wynn728 wynn728 can you please stop spelling doomsday on the thread, there's already enough of that when bad news is to be reported.
Ngl, his behavior really has been aggravating lately to say the least.

If he can rule out this many characters, then why doesn’t he just say who it is already? All he has been doing lately is waiting for leaks that give fanbases hope for a time, then shooting it down immediately, almost as he is doing it intentionally.

Also, I do not want to be tagged in any leak related stuff. Even if Nintendo screws up tomorrow and puts the trademark “Spike Chunsoft” on their website, try and not tell me about it.

(I was going to post one more thing on the general thread before going dark again on this site.)
The point is, the Gordon leak is fake, even the Monsun leaker came out and admitted it.

D

Deleted member

Any first-party characters that have yet to receive any sort of content at all in Smash that could realistically be FP5. I don't really count Advance Wars, seeing as they're in the game already. No More Heroes seems more third-party to me as well.

Edit: I know this is really specific, sorry.
People have said Startropics, which DOES make sense, but honestly? I don't see Sakurai putting Mike Jones in the FP.
The chances he has, or had were in the base game or post-pass if he's lucky enough. The Fighter's Pass is made up of "iconic" characters, and FP5 is definitely going to continue and finish that lineup. Say what you want about Banjo and Terry, they're still iconic in their own right. Banjo was an icon of the N64 and a fan-favourite and Terry's an icon of fighting games. Hero and Joker are self-explanatory.
Mike Jones isn't exactly in the same leagues as those guys, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Any first-party characters that have yet to receive any sort of content at all in Smash that could realistically be FP5. I don't really count Advance Wars, seeing as they're in the game already. No More Heroes seems more third-party to me as well.
I don't think Elma is in the game in any way shape or form, which is strange because Nintendo advertised Xenoblade X pretty heavily for the Wii U. On top of that there is no X music in the game either.

It probably means nothing, and my bets are still on a Namco Bandai character that is revealed on the 7th.

D

Deleted member

I would be more than fine with Mike Jones, but as someone who has played both StarTropics games, he's got all the makings of a Ness clone.

But you want an obscure piece of Nintendo history who has had absolutely no representation in Smash? Whose only game is on a console that has exactly one reference in Smash, but has gotten the odd reference here and there in the past decade?

nester.jpg

boom

D

Deleted member

Nah, while they do use similar tools he should use them vastly different than Ness.
If we're going to go off of what a character "should" do, Ness shouldn't do any of what he does (in terms of specials), but here we are. Sakurai's been a bonehead when it comes to Mother characters, a game series that he's most likely played, so I doubt he'd see any difference in a character who can be described similarly from one of the few games that it's likely he hasn't even ever played.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
If we're going to go off of what a character "should" do, Ness shouldn't do any of what he does (in terms of specials), but here we are. Sakurai's been a bonehead when it comes to Mother characters, a game series that he's most likely played, so I doubt he'd see any difference in a character who can be described similarly from one of the few games that it's likely he hasn't even ever played.
While that's correct, that was back in Smash 64 where he didn't stick to the characters as accurately as today, not to mention the specials for the most part are about the only thing he doesn't do himself aside from flash and Sakurai wanted him to bring those abilities. Besides again really all they share is what they use. That's like saying Cloud and Marth are the same due to swords.
I suppose if we are being cynical he "could be" but that doesn't really change he "wouldn't be"(especially since he'll never be in sadly).

Last edited:

BZocky

Smash Ace
The Stretchers, but that’s mostly due to how recent it is. Startropics as previously mentioned hasn’t been represented yet. Flipnote Studio too.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
It’s crazy how many characters have been deconfirmed by prominent leakers. If one of these characters from this list of names gets revealed for fighter #5 then it could spell disaster for some of these big names in the leak scene.

Next month is gonna be interesting...

D

Deleted member

That's like saying Cloud and Marth are the same due to swords.
That's right, though?!

Jokes aside, I get where you're coming from. Realistically, where Ness' bat is his main method of attack, Mike's is actually the yo-yo, not to mention of course that it eventually turns into more of a flail. Or heck, we can ignore it and go with the melee route that he takes in StarTropics II. The bat, bolas, and fire are more probable as special weapons. I wouldn't say "never" with anyone as long as they're from a video game.

It’s crazy how many characters have been deconfirmed by prominent leakers. If one of these characters from this list of names gets revealed for fighter #5 then it could spell disaster for some of these big names in the leak scene.

Next month is gonna be interesting...
From my days with the Grinch Leak, assuming that these big names in the leak scene are gonna take an L is a bad way of going about it. Maybe one day Nintendo will find it in their heart to ruin these folks' leak career but I doubt it's going to be on Fighter #5.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
From my days with the Grinch Leak, assuming that these big names in the leak scene are gonna take an L is a bad way of going about it. Maybe one day Nintendo will find it in their heart to ruin these folks' leak career but I doubt it's going to be on Fighter #5.
Not to worry, I’m not going into next month assuming that will happen, I’m pretty sure fighter #5 is gonna be someone not on the deconfirm list. Just something I thought of since we haven’t really seen something like that happen for Smash Ultimate leaks (at least, not to that large of a scale).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The big 5 has always been:
-Ridley
-K. Rool
-Isaac
-Banjo
-Geno

Banjo was pretty much nonexistent until the Phil Spencer tweet back in Smash 4. Meanwhile Isaac was still speculated/supported a good bit due to his missing trophy.

I'm pretty sure Isaac's thread was beating Geno's all the way back until he got deconfirmed in terms of page count. Even in terms of polls; Isaac usually ended up in the top 3, with only Sora and Banjo really consistently beating him.

I don't know why people are calling it the Big 4 requests and excluding Isaac, when it has always been the Big 5. Heck, if we were using the "Big 4", chances are Geno is the least likely to be there as all of the others popularity exceed his.
The "Big 5" have not always been just those characters except Ridley and Geno of course.

1. K. Rool's popularity really didn't take off until Diddy Kong got in back in Brawl. Before then, K. Rool wasn't anywhere near the top of the popularity poll.

2. Banjo & Kazooie were mostly highly requested during the 64 and Melee days when Rare was still with Nintendo. After the buyout pre-Brawl/pre-Smash Ballot period, their popularity declined until that one dude on Twitter asked Phil Spencer if he would allow the duo in Smash if they won the Smash Ballot? And he said yes, and their popularity skyrocketed once again.

3. Sonic and Mega Man were in the "Big 5" Before K. Rool or Banjo & Kazooie.

The inclusion or constant deconfirmation of fan favorites always changes the tides in speculation, and that will be no different when Geno finally get's in. It will truly be the end of a era if Geno really does make it. A new "Big 5" will arise in Smash 6.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say "never" with anyone as long as they're from a video game.
Maybe but Mike being so far outside the Smash team's radar he didn't even get a spirit doesn't bode well for his future. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see non game characters happen before poor Mike.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I have an important question. When you guys read ♥♪!?, what kind of noise do you have in your mind? For me, it's something like this.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have an important question. When you guys read ♥♪!?, what kind of noise do you have in your mind? For me, it's something like this.
There use to be a video on Youtube of a guy showing off Geno in Brawl as a secret character on the select screen. Once he booted up the match, Geno's entrance would show him off as a tiny doll like in SMRPG and the seven stars would bring him to life and in the video as the stars was bringing him to life, he said something like "*Robot noises* *Backwards talk*" and the announceer shouted "GGGGGGGGGG!" and then the game crashes. It was a really cool mod and fake, but that's how I picture that being pronounced like a robot talking backwards.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I imagine it sounding like the “Freebie” sound effect, or the cellphone sound from Kirby & the Amazing Mirror

D

Deleted member

Guys, I think it's pretty much obvious who the last Fighter Pass character is gonna be. Look! I even have the fighter spirit right here!
PicsArt_11-25-11.59.54.jpg

D

Deleted member

Radio static. It's like my brain stops functioning when I see it. The only other option is to read it as presented, and I agree that "Heart eighth note exclamation point question mark" is a bit hard to pronounce as just a name.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
The "Big 5" have not always been just those characters except Ridley and Geno of course.

1. K. Rool's popularity really didn't take off until Diddy Kong got in back in Brawl. Before then, K. Rool wasn't anywhere near the top of the popularity poll.

2. Banjo & Kazooie were mostly highly requested during the 64 and Melee days when Rare was still with Nintendo. After the buyout pre-Brawl/pre-Smash Ballot period, their popularity declined until that one dude on Twitter asked Phil Spencer if he would allow the duo in Smash if they won the Smash Ballot? And he said yes, and their popularity skyrocketed once again.

The inclusion or constant deconfirmation of fan favorites always changes the tides in speculation, and that will be no different when Geno finally get's in. It will truly be the end of a era if Geno really does make it. A new "Big 5" will arise in Smash 6.
Ya right. "Always" might not have been the right to use there. All 5 of them have been dreams of Smash fans for ages, but they all had their highs and lows in terms of speculation and wouldn't reach their current heights until around Smash 4 DLC season.

I just imagine it being like a Pokemon cry of some sort. Maybe a weird sounding one like Arceus'.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord

If we go by your evidence, only Ridley would be the big fan request.

Geno's popularity declined a ton in the early days of Smash 4 (much like Banjo) until Sakurai gave him the Mii costume, which reignited his popularity.

So, again going by your choice of evidence; I fail to see how Geno is an exception alongside Ridley when his popularity did decline at some point alongside the likes of Isaac and Banjo. Ridley's popularity did not decline.

By the big 5, I meant characters that have extremely vocal fanbases vowing for their support; even if they themselves may not be "iconic" enough to be in Smash. These characters have had a vocal fanbase for a long time.

-Ridley (Arguable)
-K. Rool (More specifically a DK character)
-Isaac
-Banjo and Kazooie
-Geno

All meet these requirements. Sonic and Mega-Man are still considered extremely iconic and would warrant a spot in Smash even without the fan support.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Was Reimu ever deconfirmed for fighter #5? I’m trying to make a list of ruled out companies/ characters and narrow our possibilities

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Was Reimu ever deconfirmed for fighter #5? I’m trying to make a list of ruled out companies/ characters and narrow our possibilities
Fatman referred to Reimu as a character that /v/ is trying to “will into existence”, so she’s deconfirmed in the sense that there’s nothing substantial going for her rn

Droodle

Smash Lord
No. The debunk that "debunked" her leak was false due to the images the Touhou leaker provided being higher quality. So that leak is still in Limbo.

Neither Verge or Sabi has stated Reimu's chances.

The closest we have to a deconfirm is Fatmanonice's comments that "4chan is trying to meme her into existence", but I don't take Fatmanonice's as being extremely reliable in matters like these.

So Reimu still stands, as unlikely as she might be.

I think so far the 99% deconfirmed characters for FP 5 are:

-Ryu Hayabusa
-Tracer
-Crash
-Scorpion
-Gordon Freeman
-Doom Slayer
-Geno

And then, if we go by the theory that there will be no company repeats that rules out all Square Enix (besides maybe Sora), Microsoft, SNK, Atlus/Sega characters. Capcom may happen, but Bandai Namco has a better chance in my opinion. However, its totally possible its another company entirely.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
ZUN said this in an interview from March:
So yeah, most likely deconfirmed although not by a leaker if that's what you're looking for.

DeputyDalmatian

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone! Been following this thread for a long time as a guest, and have been a supporter of Geno since the Brawl days. Mario RPG and Yoshi’s Island were the first two video games I ever played and inspired my love of epic stories and fun gameplay. I’ve never been an active member of an online forum before but you all seem so friendly and it’s cool being a part of a support group for a character a lot of people were never exposed to while growing up. As I get accustomed to how things work on the site as a member I’ll be rooting for our boy’s inclusion with the rest of you! :)

Droodle

Smash Lord
ZUN said this in an interview from March:
So yeah, most likely deconfirmed although not by a leaker if that's what you're looking for.
That says nothing, I think SNK said the exact same thing for characters like Terry getting into Smash. They pretty much said, yeah "That would be cool".

A company can still talk about characters getting into Smash, what they can't do is confirm or hint at a character getting in (most of the time). ZUN's words are pretty vague here, and could be taken either way.

Griselda

Smash Lord
..I posted that short Geno/Doomguy comic thing I did the other day, and I'm surprised that everyone just completely took it as perfectly normal that Doomguy can casually pronounce ♥♪!? without issue. Or at least nobody commented on it. It's almost funny.

D

Deleted member

The Windows 95 shut down sound

But seriously, a charging Geno beam sound effect from Mario RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom