• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
At this point I have no freaking clue who FP5 could possibly be
You know, wouldn't it be interesting if it stayed that way until the announcement itself? I doubt it, as something always seems to happen that reveal the character, but it would be quite refreshing to be surprised by a character like we were for Joker.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
even Isaac was a more popular request then Geno and maybe even Banjo until he was eventually confirmed as an AT, and he even had less hurdles to get in to boot!
In no universe was Isaac ever a more popular request than Banjo, and I doubt he was ever more popular than Geno

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
How likely would Klonoa be?

Well, he is a Bandai Namco character. So he is going against Heihachi, Lloyd, and Agumon, plus a couple others I can't think of. Not very good odds, especially since his franchise is dead, unlike those other franchises. And he is not very highly requested, especially compared to someone like Lloyd. As much as I would like to see Klonoa, his chances are close to dead. The only thing is I heard Bandai Namco has put Klonoa easter eggs in their games over the years so they haven't forgotten about him. probably.
Chance: 1%
Want: 73%

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
In no universe was Isaac ever a more popular request than Banjo, and I doubt he was ever more popular than Geno
Except this one. Until Ultimate where people finally took Phil seriously Banjo struggled a bit. Microsoft and Nintendo being buddies finally convinced people to stop being dumb and request the bear but man it was rough going in Smash 4 and before for a while for Banjo fans. As for Geno and Isaac since this is the Geno thread I don't think any proof can really change the views of popularity from inside the stronghold.

Fire Scyther

Smash Cadet
At this point I have no freaking clue who FP5 could possibly be
Short-time lurker, but I gotta say that's what makes this more fun since literally anyone could get in Smash. Really enjoyed the surprise factor Joker gave to us last year and here's me hoping we get more surprises like that!

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Literally anyone could get in. I won't put too much faith into that one recent leak, but Gordon Freeman would actually be quite dope. And if he gets in, that would open the doors for Master Chief and PlayStation characters.

Monokuma, Heihachi, Lloyd, Agumon, Arle, Reimu, Travis Touchdown, Doom Slayer, Crash, Geno, so many dam possibilities. For all we know, we could be getting anyone. Let's see, the theme of this pass seems to be Sakurai wants. What character does Sakurai like that not a lot of people are speculating on?

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
You know what people should expect? The unexpected. Yeah, MAYBE a Bandai Namco character makes sense, but based off of how tight-lipped Fighter #5 information has been, I'd expect a character not majorly speculated (such as Joker).

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I think this is gonna be the last time I report this, but, as of Monday night, the names of the DLC fighter's series have still not come back! Which make me come to the conclusion that this is not a glitch! If this was, it would have been fixed on the day it happened, or days later... Something is going on?

Of course, this is all could be nothing and I could be wrong, but it never hurts to suspect what's going on that website.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
You know what people should expect? The unexpected. Yeah, MAYBE a Bandai Namco character makes sense, but based off of how tight-lipped Fighter #5 information has been, I'd expect a character not majorly speculated (such as Joker).
Thinking on this train of thought, what companies could be in the running? Only Level 5 and Ubisoft come to mind unless it's an indie rep.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Please don't be discouraged Fatmanonice we are a excited and believe in Geno's chances.

Looking forward you your big post about him.

I have no idea where alternate timelines where Geno dosen't get in came from.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I like to imagine there is a timeline where James Bond actually got into Smash. Smash would be really different.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Thinking on this train of thought, what companies could be in the running? Only Level 5 and Ubisoft come to mind unless it's an indie rep.
The biggest hit against Level-5 is that they are practically bankrupt at this point. Same with NIS, but NISA is doing well.

KOEI-TECMO is doing well, but they're most likely post pass.

TYPE-MOON is popular, but FATE has its own baggage with the series.

FALCOM is my bet for a 3rd party out of left field, but they're niche outside of Japan and mostly related to Playstation although YS 8 did come out on Switch. That said, in terms of developing early JRPG's/action games, FALCOM is pretty much equivalent to Dragon Quest. They also were the ones who pioneered early game music, and their games can be seen as spiritual predecessors to games like The Legend of Zelda; bonus, this year was actually their best year. Sure Falcom is niche, but they have definitely had an impact on games as a whole.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Oh lord, unless we get Rayman I really don't want anything from them.

I'm sorry, but there are a number of characters who's companies are pretty trash tier. It may sound elitist, but there are certain companies that I TRULY never want to see their characters get in until the companies become more gamer friendly, as Ultimate is a love letter and these companies are the opposite.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
https://docs.google.com/document/d/112BNm3SkQln8OpKfSde0E743cALYKqmvyXVKgLi1-P0/edit?usp=drivesdk

Just want to link this here. The is a lengthy document from epicmartin7 epicmartin7 of Source Gaming hypothesizing the max number of characters we COULD receive.

@papagenos and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice is this interesting to you? Fatman, I know you had an idea of how many characters we could get (you thought one more Fighters Pass), so what do you make of this?
Possible but, like anything else, I'm waiting one step at a time. People were asking about Season 2 literally before the Fighter's Pass started and it wouldn't be for roughly 10 months until it was formally confirmed and about 7 before our Discord started hearing things and seriously considering it. All I will say is that it could happen but, like with Season 2, I'm not going to say "IT'S HAPPENING" until the evidence is strong enough on our end.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
The more I think about it the more I think Travis Touchdown has a shot, so put Marvelous in the running

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Man the recency bias in here is huge. Banjo's support was basically on life support until the famous Phil Spencer tweet. Meanwhile, the time the smash poll was ran was probably the time where Isaac support was at it's highest since he wasn't an AT in smash 4 so people thought he had a really great shot at getting in as DLC there.

Last couple years Banjo was certainly more popular, but if we're talking smash ballot era, Isaac wins easily.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
https://docs.google.com/document/d/112BNm3SkQln8OpKfSde0E743cALYKqmvyXVKgLi1-P0/edit?usp=drivesdk

Just want to link this here. The is a lengthy document from epicmartin7 epicmartin7 of Source Gaming hypothesizing the max number of characters we COULD receive.

@papagenos and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice is this interesting to you? Fatman, I know you had an idea of how many characters we could get (you thought one more Fighters Pass), so what do you make of this?
Hey, thanks for linking the document! Glad to see people reading it. I just wanted to stop by and say I Ieft Source Gaming about 5 months ago. I'm only pointing that out because I don't want to use their brand to bolster this when it is an independent project that has no association with them.

That being said, It's always heartwarming to get recognized. So thanks again for reading it! If you have an questions about the document, let me know!

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Man the recency bias in here is huge. Banjo's support was basically on life support until the famous Phil Spencer tweet. Meanwhile, the time the smash poll was ran was probably the time where Isaac support was at it's highest since he wasn't an AT in smash 4 so people thought he had a really great shot at getting in as DLC there.

Last couple years Banjo was certainly more popular, but if we're talking smash ballot era, Isaac wins easily.
Exactly this. Plus that peak was a nice ride as it lasted all the way to the infamous November direct where it violently crashed against the wall of the glass case for ATs. Heck during the Smash ballot, as I was a fan of both, Isaac was so strong I cast my vote for Banjo because he needed way more help at the time. A shame people give in to their own ideas about what deconfirms as Isaac completely losing all traction and only barely getting it back after more DLC announcement hurts. The support is still there it's just no one believes anymore and the worst thing a fanbase can do is stop fighting.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Also, one thing I should point out is the hypothesis really isn't trying to predict the content itself. It's one of the solutions that all placeholders are used, however, it's only trying to reaffirm a notion being the Max CSS possibly staying. Which, is the step to other solutions. And those solutions are still relatively unproven as well. More data definitely needs to be collected to get into the mindset of the development team.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Hey, thanks for linking the document! Glad to see people reading it. I just wanted to stop by and say I Ieft Source Gaming about 5 months ago. I'm only pointing that out because I don't want to use their brand to bolster this when it is an independent project that has no association with them.

That being said, It's always heartwarming to get recognized. So thanks again for reading it! If you have an questions about the document, let me know!
Not a problem! I saw it on Twitter and it was a great read so I figured I'd link it to educate people. I always like reading stuff like this so I can base my predictions more in reality and not expect the moon. Thank YOU for compiling that information and making that doc! (And oops, I forgot that you did indeed leave Source Gaming, I remember hearing that now that you said that. Big fan whenever you're on discussions and reactions though!)

I guess my only question is who you think is likely for Smash DLC (Fighter #5 and post pass)? I realize that a lot of the same characters are deemed "likely," but I always like to hear people's predictions just in case! Don't worry, I won't take your opinions as gospel and claim you have insider sources due to your past affiliation with Source Gaming (hopefully no one else will do the same). But if you don't want to share, I totally get it since the Smash fanbase can at times be... well, you know. Regardless what you do, thanks again for the good read!

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Not a problem! I saw it on Twitter and it was a great read so I figured I'd link it to educate people. I always like reading stuff like this so I can base my predictions more in reality and not expect the moon. Thank YOU for compiling that information and making that doc! (And oops, I forgot that you did indeed leave Source Gaming, I remember hearing that now that you said that. Big fan whenever you're on discussions and reactions though!)

I guess my only question is who you think is likely for Smash DLC (Fighter #5 and post pass)? I realize that a lot of the same characters are deemed "likely," but I always like to hear people's predictions just in case! Don't worry, I won't take your opinions as gospel and claim you have insider sources due to your past affiliation with Source Gaming (hopefully no one else will do the same). But if you don't want to share, I totally get it since the Smash fanbase can at times be... well, you know. Regardless what you do, thanks again for the good read!
I'm going to be honest, rumor mill scared me off years ago. I tried doing stuff like that, but I was really never a fan of it. Impacted my mood and stuff, and decided not to partake in any of those activities. So yeah, I'm not a huge fan of it lol.

As for my predictions... I've been wild as of late. My latest prediction for Fighter #5 is Chrome Dinosaur. Yes, I am absolutely insane. But I think it's just one of the only third-party video game characters left that could shock people hard. It is a cultural icon, even for being in a minigame. Plus... I think Sakurai would love to make a moveset for it. It's like Plant... but with more shock value.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
nessdeltarune00 nessdeltarune00 Gordon leak has been pronounced fake by Vergeben; says Gordon is not Fighter 5

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78195785?jumpto=41#41

Verge has been piggybacking and playing it safe a lot recently so this is one of his most bold claims in recent days
Ngl, his behavior really has been aggravating lately to say the least.

If he can rule out this many characters, then why doesn’t he just say who it is already? All he has been doing lately is waiting for leaks that give fanbases hope for a time, then shooting it down immediately, almost as he is doing it intentionally.

Also, I do not want to be tagged in any leak related stuff. Even if Nintendo screws up tomorrow and puts the trademark “Spike Chunsoft” on their website, try and not tell me about it.

(I was going to post one more thing on the general thread before going dark again on this site.)

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If there's one thing I really, really, really want to see leaked, it's not who Fighter 5 is... it's when Fighter 5 is.

I'm fine with not knowing who Fighter 5 is ahead of time and going in completely blind, but I'd at least like to have an exact date as to when they'll be revealed. I wouldn't even care if it's literally the last day of January, just knowing we have until then would put me at ease a bit.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm just tired of all this

"Maybe its them!"
"Maybe...Nope."
"Well how about them?"
"I'm not so sure....yeah nope try again"
"Do they stand a chance"
"I'm starting to think.....Not at all"
"Then who is it?"
"I dunno lol"

We keep jumping around different characters when different leaks become more "credible" before they are struck down and it's starting to get really annoying.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ngl, his behavior really has been aggravating lately to say the least.

If he can rule out this many characters, then why doesn’t he just say who it is already? All he has been doing lately is waiting for leaks that give fanbases hope for a time, then shooting it down immediately, almost as he is doing it intentionally.

Also, I do not want to be tagged in any leak related stuff. Even if Nintendo screws up tomorrow and puts the trademark “Spike Chunsoft” on their website, try and not tell me about it.

(I was going to post one more thing on the general thread before going dark again on this site.)
I actually talked about this today on Sabi's Public Discord so I'll see if I can just copy and paste from earlier today:

"I know people are frustrated at Sabi and Verge about it but it kind boils down to the heirarcy of info sharing. Some of Sabi's bigger sources don't even want people to publicly know that they spoke or even know each other. Beyond that, people don't realize that a lot of these bigger contacts flat out don't take questions. They tell people like Sabi stuff but will typically ghost them if they "forget their place." A lot of it is kind of haughty and elitest, honestly."

"For example, only reason why we know things like "no Crash and no Ryu" is because the contacts just flat out told them this. It wasn't a Q and A. The bigger contacts tend to only speak up if they personally want to squash misinformation themselves. This is why we're playing "Guess Who" with #5."

"And now you all understand why it's become a game of who it's not than who it is. Almost all the deconfirmed characters for #5 were from rumors that higher up insiders were so annoyed about hearing that they personally came off Mount Olympus to smite certain names."

T2by4

Smash Lord
I actually talked about this today on Sabi's Public Discord so I'll see if I can just copy and paste from earlier today:

"I know people are frustrated at Sabi and Verge about it but it kind boils down to the heirarcy of info sharing. Some of Sabi's bigger sources don't even want people to publicly know that they spoke or even know each other. Beyond that, people don't realize that a lot of these bigger contacts flat out don't take questions. They tell people like Sabi stuff but will typically ghost them if they "forget their place." A lot of it is kind of haughty and elitest, honestly."

"For example, only reason why we know things like "no Crash and no Ryu" is because the contacts just flat out told them this. It wasn't a Q and A. The bigger contacts tend to only speak up if they personally want to squash misinformation themselves. This is why we're playing "Guess Who" with #5."

"And now you all understand why it's become a game of who it's not than who it is. Almost all the deconfirmed characters for #5 were from rumors that higher up insiders were so annoyed about hearing that they personally came off Mount Olympus to smite certain names."
Have those same people for example talked about Geno at all? Like have they mentioned they heard his name being passed around?

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

I see, that pretty much explains everything. And I guess that is why Sabi and Verge leaked Terry after the SNK slip up, the sources probably felt like the cat was out of the bag.

Also, I’ve always wondered how Sabi and Verge even got their contacts in the first place?

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Hey Guys, iv'e decided to try and watch The Green Eggs & Ham TV Show(little too late for that buddy), so far it's great.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Spencer Tweeted 2 days after the Ballot went live. Smash Ballot era Banjo & Kazooie was peak popularity for him to specifically because he got his huge boost of support at that exact time. I don't think you can just waive away the absolutely perfect timing for Banjo & Kazooie in that regard, as it was the momentum needed to make him a reality.

Golden Sun, if anything, was on more life support because Dark Dawn bombed so hard it killed the franchise and Golden Sun was largely missing from Smash 4. You had the dedicated fans mobilizing a bit for it, but it's honestly the complete opposite of Banjo & Kazooie as that was a situation where hope was directly into a fan base and the Isaac one was more disenfranchised at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom