• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Does the anti-sword riderect directed for all sword fighters in Smash or just the FE series? Granted, I would personally like if any new FE fighters come in use something different, like an Ax or something for variety's sake.
It started that way because FE has more than just swords to offer and people wanted the series represented better but from there the hate festered until it, in a quite silly manner, it encompassed swords in general. Now using a sword is a bad thing among a minority of users with a pretty flimsy basis and is one of those things that is a disconnect from the dev team and the fanbase. Kind of like how fans how choose 3rd parties based on Nintendo history where the dev team doesn't have that as a strong criteria for entry.

D

Deleted member

When it comes to Lloyd, I don’t mind him as a character and think that his dual-sword thing could be neat, but I’d consider him a relatively underwhelming way to end off the pass, making it so the majority of characters in it are JRPG blade-wielders. Post-pass, though, he makes a lot of sense.

...However, when it comes to this initial reveal of #6 and #7? I’m flat-out predicting a double-reveal of Waluigi and Geno. Knocking two of the largest Mario-series requests out of the park at the same time, maybe even retroactively making a triple-pack bundle with Piranha Plant.

It would satisfy the largest request during Ultimate’s speculation cycle and one of the longest-standing requests in Smash history, and would also shatter AT and Spirit fanrules.
No way am I expecting that lol but if it did happen speculation afterwards would never be the same as long as Ultimate is a thing. Isaac? Sure, Rayman? Sure, Shantae? Sure, Ashley? Sure, Shovel Knight? Sure, Skull Kid? Sure.

The freedom of speculation would rival base game and I would adore that. Though no way will it happen lmao.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I was just arguing with someone on discord who said not that Geno won't be in, but that he can't be in. Legitimate question here, are there still people who think there are videogame characters who literally can't be in smash or is this an isolated incident? Because literally every rule has been broken now.

Villager broke the "no pacifists" rule

Duck hunt broke the "what would they even do" rule

Ryu broke the "one character per third party company" rule and the "no fighting game character" rule

Bayonetta broke the "no M rated characters" rule that Snake got a pass on for some reason

Ridley broke the "wouldn't work mechanically" rule (or argument I guess"

K Rool broke the "relevency" rule

Richter broke the "one character per third party series" rule

Piranha Plant broke the "no generic race/enemy" rule

Joker broke the "Nintendo association" rule

Banjo broke the "relevency is different for third parties" rule

And Terry broke the "no literally who third parties" rule (I mean no disrespect)

What possible reason could be left for a character to be impossible?

Why the **** are people still on this? I haven't actually argued about Geno much so I don't really know, but please tell me this isn't generally a thing anymore.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It started that way because FE has more than just swords to offer and people wanted the series represented better but from there the hate festered until it, in a quite silly manner, it encompassed swords in general. Now using a sword is a bad thing among a minority of users with a pretty flimsy basis and is one of those things that is a disconnect from the dev team and the fanbase. Kind of like how fans how choose 3rd parties based on Nintendo history where the dev team doesn't have that as a strong criteria for entry.
The FE representation is really the problem, yeah, not swords guys in general (okay, and three Links is a lot, but I will admit that I was super happy to see YL return). Every single character we have so far is at least in part a swords-wielder, when really, FE has a LOT more to offer. Where are my staff mages? My clerics, priests, priestesses? Where are the archers and knights? What about axe wielders? Spears and lances? That's where my beef is. FE is a great series (even with its flaws), and it deserves better rep. THAT is the problem, not an abundance of 'swordsmen'. After all, we have a lot of brawlers on the roster, and you don't see people complaining... because they're quite varied from each other. That's the source of the problem, variety and proper utilization of move set potential, not 'OMG TOO MANY SWORDIES'. The Smash fandom doesn't handle this well at all.

I will say it's hilarious to see people want more swords-wielders, though, and then turn around and complain that, "Geno can't be unique! We already have both Samuses, ZS, Mii Gunner, Bayonetta, and Mega Man! That's SIX WHOLE GUNNERS, GUYS! Geno is unnecessary!" We can still have more swords-users that are unique with about 15-ish (?) in the roster, so why not Geno when we don't have many gunners at all?

I was just arguing with someone on discord who said not that Geno won't be in, but that he can't be in. Legitimate question here, are there still people who think there are videogame characters who literally can't be in smash or is this an isolated incident? Because literally every rule has been broken now.

Ryu broke the "one character per third party company" rule and the "no fighting game character" rule

Bayonetta broke the "no M rated characters" rule that Snake got a pass on for some reason

And Terry broke the "no literally who third parties" rule (I mean no disrespect)

What possible reason could be left for a character tk be impossible?

Why the **** are people still on this? I haven't actually argued about Geno much so I don't really know, but please tell me this isn't generally a thing anymore.
Oh, trust me, it is generally a thing. Fan rules are all over the place and people stubbornly stick to them. The only rule is non-video game originating characters cannot join the battle, and even that one has some flimsy exceptions (such as ROB being a peripheral and not a game).

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Unfortunately, it is. Plenty of people will continue to grasp whatever ill-supported logic they can to believe that certain characters can't get in.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
The FE representation is really the problem, yeah, not swords guys in general (okay, and three Links is a lot, but I will admit that I was super happy to see YL return). Every single character we have so far is at least in part a swords-wielder, when really, FE has a LOT more to offer. Where are my staff mages? My clerics, priests, priestesses? Where are the archers and knights? What about axe wielders? Spears and lances? That's where my beef is. FE is a great series (even with its flaws), and it deserves better rep. THAT is the problem, not an abundance of 'swordsmen'. After all, we have a lot of brawlers on the roster, and you don't see people complaining... because they're quite varied from each other. That's the source of the problem, variety and proper utilization of move set potential, not 'OMG TOO MANY SWORDIES'. The Smash fandom doesn't handle this well at all.

I will say it's hilarious to see people want more swords-wielders, though, and then turn around and complain that, "Geno can't be unique! We already have both Samuses, ZS, Mii Gunner, Bayonetta, and Mega Man! That's SIX WHOLE GUNNERS, GUYS! Geno is unnecessary!" We can still have more swords-users that are unique with about 15-ish (?) in the roster, so why not Geno when we don't have many gunners at all?
Yup at the end of the day it doesn't matter what tools a character uses, what matters is how those tools are utilized that makes them unique. Anything else is just looking at the most shallow similarities to try and assert their bias.

Last edited:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Most likely outcomes are 5 is teased with Terry or Terry brings a Direct announcement. I think 6 and 7 being preloaded gives some hope for an actual Direct in December unless they decide to do this big ol' thing in November with Terry and #5-7 make it like a half hour showcase.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
When it comes to Lloyd, I don’t mind him as a character and think that his dual-sword thing could be neat, but I’d consider him a relatively underwhelming way to end off the pass, making it so the majority of characters in it are JRPG blade-wielders. Post-pass, though, he makes a lot of sense.

...However, when it comes to this initial reveal of #6 and #7? I’m flat-out predicting a double-reveal of Waluigi and Geno. Knocking two of the largest Mario-series requests out of the park at the same time, maybe even retroactively making a triple-pack bundle with Piranha Plant.

It would satisfy the largest request during Ultimate’s speculation cycle and one of the longest-standing requests in Smash history, and would also shatter AT and Spirit fanrules.
Waluigi and Geno are two of my most wanted Smash characters, so that would have me pumped!

As well, putting Assist Trophies and Spirits back on the table would make speculation much more exciting in my opinion, since they're the two of the only barriers keeping potential DLC fighters away.

EDIT: I accidentally just posted your quote with not context at first, my bad. Mobile sucks

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

How many people actually legitimately support Waluigi though? I really can't tell. The majority of talk about Waluigi is just memers and the actual supporters are kind of drowned out by the white noise. Does anyone here actually know how big real Waluigi support is?

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Spirits are basically trophies but this time they give skills or special characteristics during the battle, Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 but then with the DLC they became playable characters so I don't see why people would continue to believe that just because a character is already a trophy/spirit it would prevent them from joining the battle

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
How many people actually legitimately support Waluigi though? I really can't tell. The majority of talk about Waluigi is just memers and the actual supporters are kind of drowned out by the white noise. Does anyone here actually know how big real Waluigi support is?
It's very large I'd say, I've noticed most people who meme Waluigi to death (myself included) are legitimately fond of him as a character too

But I'm a Waluigi fan myself, so I might be a little biased there

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I almost wish people complained about every character who used punches in their kits as much as people complained about sword users. It would be deeply amusing to me.

“Oh, so not only did you put in another character that uses their fists, Sakurai, but he attacks with a non-dominant handed jab followed up by a dominant-handed cross??? You’re really running out of ideas for punches at this point.”

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Im not against fixing the marth problem but id argue to keep Roy separate. As someone who mains him they are VERY different in playstyle despite having practically the same moves. You could fold Lucina into Marth and Crom into Roy (or Ike) then add more lord skins like Eliwood

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Except for Assist Trophies & Mii Costumes.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
King K Rool is a playable character and yet his Mii Costume returned from Smash 4 so I don't see why a character can't be both
If the Mii Costume comes first then the character isn't getting in. They only make Mii Costume of characters if there isn't any plans of making them playable.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
If the Mii Costume comes first then the character isn't getting in. They only make Mii Costume of characters if there isn't any plans of making them playable.
Again, why would they bring back King K Rool's Mii Costume if they weren't going to make him his own character after so many years? they are simply adding the missing content from previous games just like the game modes so if they added the Geno or Lloyd Mii Costume again that would not change anything if they were being developed to be DLC characters

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I know what our most optimistic supporter is saying; but I'll elaborate a bit on the Mii costumes:

As for Smash Ultimate's purchasable Mii costumes, most likely than not, that character won't be a playable in this game. In Smash 4, the Mii costumes were like a consolation prize for not having the costume as a fighter in Smash 4. We got different DLC fighters.

Take for example K Rool, Isabel and Chrom. They were DLC Mii costumes in Smash 4. They did not later become playable fighters in Smash 4. However, in Smash Ultimate those characters became fighters in the base game AND you get their Mii costume with no purchase. That is similar to other Mii costumes of playable base characters, like Link, Samus, etc.

The one take a way is it seems unlikely that Nintendo/Sakaurai would have you PURCHASE a Mii costume and then some time later have the fighter available for PURCHASE. That seems like an unlikely scenario. It can happen, obviously, since anything is possible and there is no rule, but we can see from Smash 4 that did not happen.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Again, why would they bring back King K Rool's Mii Costume if they weren't going to make him his own character after so many years? they are simply adding the missing content from previous games just like the game modes so if they added the Geno or Lloyd Mii Costume again that would not change anything if they were being developed to be DLC characters
I think he means if a Mii costume comes first as DLC or perhaps even the base game of Ultimate then they won't be DLC. Which fair enough on DLC but not necessarily the case with Miis on base.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I think he means if a Mii costume comes first as DLC or perhaps even the base game of Ultimate then they won't be DLC. Which fair enough on DLC but not necessarily the case with Miis on base.
I know and I understood what he meant but I think it would not make sense that just because a Mii Costume returns that character is already off the table

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Because they made those Mii Costumes already and just porting them over. They stated that they select the characters first when making Ultimate, so all the stuff from last time like who was a Mii Costume wouldn't be taken into; especially when it was easy to just port them over.

If they add Geno again as a Mii Costume this late in the game then Geno is just done since it would mean they didn't have plans of making him playable.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I know and I understood what he meant but I think it would not make sense that just because a Mii Costume returns that character is already off the table
In the base game, I agree that does not mean an automatic "He cannot be future DLC." However for any current purchasble DLC Mii costumes ... that seems more unlikely.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Happy Halloween Geno thread! Hope everyone's been having a good time and enjoying themselves!

It also looks like Terry may be dropping soon, let's go. I'm definitely not ready tho since I don't even have Hero and Banjo yet, rip lol.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Based on the addition of 76 and 77s’ slots on the website, Fatmanonice’s informed comments, and the general vibe i’m getting right now, things are looking good for Smash Bros. fans right now.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
"Get over it."

...hm, something smells. I can't tell if it is irony or hypocrisy.
Wow you really have nothing better to do then to track down what I said a couple of pages ago? That's just sad.

But yeah, really hypocritical of me telling people not to bug an insider like Fatman for more info when it's clear they don't they don't want to go in depth with it. Especially with all that time I never ask for leaked stuff. Very hypocritical.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice

Don’t forget R.O.B., a literal peripheral that was added lol.

There is one left:
Agumon can’t get added because Digimon is more recognized as an anime more so than a video game. There was another argument against him saying that virtual pets don’t count as video games but was mostly dropped due to Game & Watch, although some were saying that’s an exception since it’s a First Party Nintendo device.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
In the base game, I agree that does not mean an automatic "He cannot be future DLC." However for any current purchasble DLC Mii costumes ... that seems more unlikely.
The way I see it is as follows, the Protoman and Zero Mii Costumes come from Smash 4 right? and became DLC again, so the only difference I see with the Mii Costumes that already came with the base game is that Nintendo is making money apart from the ones that were already included, so in any case if I were Nintendo what I would do would be to sell not only the Mii Costume but also the playable character and thus earn twice as much money, after all they are simply carrying content from previous games but charging apart from the base game
(I'm so sorry if this is a disaster to read but my main language is Spanish)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
My opinion of the costume is this:

Geno's costume comes back unchanged? I'd say he's more than likely dead in the water, but I wouldn't 100% rule out a surprise later down the DLC line. I'd call that a 1/99 chance, though.

Geno's costume comes back changed and improved? Dead in the water, 100%.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm confused.

I don't see 76's nor 77's slots on the website.

All I see is the "challengerBlade" stuff, each containing one of the currently available DLC characters.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
My opinion of the costume is this:

Geno's costume comes back unchanged? I'd say he's more than likely dead in the water, but I wouldn't 100% rule out a surprise later down the DLC line. I'd call that a 1/99 chance, though.

Geno's costume comes back changed and improved? Dead in the water, 100%.
Yeah, I also fear they'd go "oh that's good enough" if Geno got his costume back, especially if it was revamped. Maybe if DLC is still being pumped out for longer than we think they could reconsider it, but I dunno.
I'm confused.

I don't see 76's nor 77's slots on the website.

All I see is the "challengerBlade" stuff, each containing one of the currently available DLC characters.
Apparently they're both within the page's code, I haven't really looked into it past what people in this thread have talked about though

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Apparently they're both within the page's code, I haven't really looked into it past what people in this thread have talked about though
I think it all came from someone on ResetEra discovering it.

However, they don't show any extra slots for anyone aside from who's currently available, either. It just seems like people explained they made it easier to add more DLC characters to the website.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
*Catches up on the discussion.*
*This Is True Love Makin' intensifies.*

OH S#**! HEY! C'MON, C'MON! ARE YOU OK?!

*Blast "Hoes Are Fataly Furious" memes.*

GEEEEEEESS-UUUU!!! PREDICTABOOOOO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O!!!

A good and merry day (and soon to commence weekend) to all Geno Bros! The time draws nigh! :2gud:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I have a fear in the back of my mind that there could be a disappointment repeat this week. Last November 1st was the worse day for me that year. Not because of Smash but from a very bad personal experience which sprang up literally an hour before the Direct. Then, trying to look forward to even a brief silver lining from that problem by having the Smash Direct news to cheer me up was then shot down due to its (my opinion) terrible roster finale and that the Grinch Bull was fake with many hopefuls being crushed . It was an awful time.

So here we stand, a year since then. Rumors are floating that Terry is coming soon, naybe even November 1st. We are getting good news, but there's that fear that disappointment could repeat and that either character 5 is lackluster or Terry's showcase reveals a Geno mii costume.
That was a dark day indeed.
Justice will be done
No offense to any of ya’ll, but I fell like I’m the only one who are not this emotional invested to characters / a game
Like... some these sound like Lex Luther, planning his revenge on Superman

And again, I must say that I mean by no offense, since Vector has went to some bad stuff in real life when that direct happened...

But jeez... why so melodramatic

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion

On the bayo thing...it was I believe more the “her games are waaaay to sexually stylized” more or less, rather than it just her being from a mature game like snake. That and she also uses more realistic guns, which sakurai did state during brawls life that that was why snake was explosive based, so can’t fault people too much on that second part...

Regardless you’re right, after bayo I kinda felt the only “rule” that will never be broken is the “no characters who didn’t originate from a game series”

I’ll be honest, i was one of those who never thought in a million years someone like bayo would get in, as i myself truly believed the “no over the top sexually styled mature” character “rule” but sakurai went and surprised us all.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What I wonder is this: What do y'all plan on doing if Geno doesn't make it?

I think I will focus on seeing if Nintendo or Square would be willing to work on a new Mario RPG, personally, one with Geno actually involved in some way. Considering how well they're getting on again, with Square even willing to make exclusives for them, I could see it happen. I also feel like fan projects would be a great way to keep Geno (and better yet, Mallow, as well!) alive.

I think he's likely to make it this time, but just in case he doesn't, I'm brainstorming what kinda stuff might happen afterward. I'm still very satisfied with Ultimate itself, given I got 3/4 of my most wanteds, of course... but I hope Geno comes back somehow, some way. :drflip:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom