• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Finally, we can earn that "Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series" badge.

I just really don't see what would make him any different from Bayonetta aside from being visually more appealing.
You have Dante be a combo fighter just like Bayonetta, but you also give him his other weapons to mix things up and have him do his flashy sword moves. Just look at the Marvel vs Capcom games and it's clear there is so much they can do with him that would make him different from Bayonetta.

Teebe

Smash Rookie
I'm new and have been lurking here because I'm really shy (sorry if I'm interrupting anything), but I wanted to say that I've been wanting Geno since brawl and it's really exciting seeing his chances get better!

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I wanna know why ppl want him in.
As others may have mentioned, the concept of the character itself resonates with us as something particularly unique, specifically when it comes to the type of characters we've seen in the Mario series as a whole. He hails from the first in a line of Mario-styled RPG games, and to a large portion of us, represents the first period of time in which the series really had anything close to a story, general worldbuilding, that sort of thing.

Personally speaking, I like the character's design, he has some moveset potential that could set him apart from other Gunner-type characters in the game, and, idunno - just seems like it'd be a pretty neat nod to a game that was fairly important to a lot of us.

It's my hope that he gets to be included! If not, that's okay - it would certainly make a lot of people pretty happy, though, and that's really the main thing I want to see. :ultduckhunt:

D

Deleted member

Cause Super Mario RPG was a very memorable game with it being the first Mario game to have an actual storymore than 1D characters and started the entire RPG side of Mario games as without it we wouldn't have franchises like Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi (RIP).

It also has some of the most memorable and unique Mario characters like Geno who is such a cool character from a design, personality and characteristic point of view.

Geno has been one of the biggest requests since Melee at the least alongside Banjo, K. Rool and Ridley.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I have no info, but I feel like the fifth fighter is going to be Dante from Devil May Cry. Back in February Itsuno said that if fans want Dante in Smash Bros then they need campaign for Devil May Cry to be on Switch first. Then three months later Capcom announce Devil May Cry 1 is releasing on Switch in June.

Now I may not be that knowledgeable when it comes to game development but I doubt they could get a Switch port done in less than 4 months from when they said that comment. So that should mean that Itsuno knew that Devil May Cry ports were coming when asked about Dante in Smash Bros. He never denied it, so maybe something something is happening.
I can get behind this. Dante is my most wanted character right now, so the prospect of him joining the game makes me excited.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate featuring Dante from Devil May Cry & Knuckles
If Dante gets in I hope someone plays in a match with him and a Mii Brawler in a Knuckles costume for the memes.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I still think it's hilarious that the sticker has gone more viral than anything else atlus has ever done lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You have Dante be a combo fighter just like Bayonetta, but you also give him his other weapons to mix things up and have him do his flashy sword moves. Just look at the Marvel vs Capcom games and it's clear there is so much they can do with him that would make him different from Bayonetta.
If Sakurai looked at Marvel vs Capcom games, Mega Man would be much better than he is in Smash. How you end up repped in Smash is how you play in your home series. Dante's thing is wild combos and over the top action. Swords? Disjointed Bayonetta? No thanks.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
What the hell? I go away for 30 minutes and now there's rumblings that character 5 is someone else than originally assumed from the last week or so? How does speculation talk flip that much so quickly?

D

Deleted member

What the hell? I go away for 30 minutes and now there's rumblings that character 5 is someone else than originally assumed from the last week or so? How does speculation talk flip that much so quickly?
there's a reason we call it Mr. Sakurai's Wild Ride, you know...

So when Geno's revealed to be Challenger Pack 5 just remember me when I'm gone.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Since those attachments aren't working for me, I'm seeing posts here suggesting Dante? So he's back on the table?

Just how many characters have been 'leaked' as character 5 at this point?

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gonna lie, when the vast ocean that is speculation begins to toss and turn and bubble and churn so wildly, it makes me wonder if things are starting to ramp up, and if we're potentially due to start seeing something happen soon.

We're hardly a week and some change away from November, so I suppose that only makes sense. Dear, oh dear, I wonder if something is about to happen..

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
So DLC 5 will not be Ryu Hayabusa, Crash or whoever else is a frontrunner such as Doomguy. I have no idea who it's pointing too, but I hope it's Geno.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
If Sakurai looked at Marvel vs Capcom games, Mega Man would be much better than he is in Smash. How you end up repped in Smash is how you play in your home series. Dante's thing is wild combos and over the top action. Swords? Disjointed Bayonetta? No thanks.
Technically Sakurai did look ath Marvel vs Capcom games since he gave Mega Man a shoryuken.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
This works as a good reminder that we should not take so much stock in "leaks." As much as we are dying to get info ... assume all leaks are fake unless there is some tangible proof, however that can be defined or shown.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Hi there, bros and bras, and everyone else in-between.

Been a Geno supporter ever since Brawl, and I honestly believe 100 percent that he'll be in this game at some point. Like, it's crazy not for me to think that, to be honest. Personally, it's looking more and more likely that he'll be in the FP as #5, given what we've heard about Crash and Ryu lately.

The way I see it, Geno's nowhere near as big and groundbreaking for Smash DLC as other fighters could be, but the Fighter's Pass doesn't need someone groundbreaking to round out the cast anyway--the people who've bought it have already given Nintendo their money. If they were smart, they'd use a less-known fighter (like Geno) to round out the pass, then reveal a big name fighter at the Game Awards (like Dante or Sora or someone else like that) as the headliner for pass #2--someone who'll sell more passes.

That's only if they actual are doing a second Fighter's Pass and not just random bonus DLC, however. If they were going that route, then I'd see Geno just being a random bonus fighter with a lot of Nintendo fan favorites coming later (Bandanna Waddle Dee, Lloyd Irving, etc.)

D

Deleted member

So I guess FP #5 maybe Doomguy, Lloyd Irving, Sora, or perhaps Professor Layton.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Reminder that two days before Terry's reveal, Sabi did warn us about Smash speculation getting wild
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Who would people assume #5 was after Terry though? That, at this point, is not Hayabusa?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Asked Sabi directly. Doesn't seem like she is really having much faith in the Mii Costume list now with the latest development.

https://i.imgur.com/5Wde5R1.png
Well that sucks. I wonder what happened. Because even if the guy was a memer about Crash the other costumes were still legit. Also weird that Ryu isn't looking as good either considering everyone seemed to be saying 24 hours ago that Ryu seemed the most likely and talked about.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Asked Sabi directly. Doesn't seem like she is really having much faith in the Mii Costume list now with the latest development.

https://i.imgur.com/5Wde5R1.png
I honestly read that as a maybe plus I think she's going to sit on hard what she knows except with her inner circle. If she's not sharing it with Papa, it's an easy indication that a vast majority of people who ask will be hard swerved.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Oh Lord, a bomb just got dropped in here! So now no one is certain who FP5 is? What a time to be alive!

Also, Sabi is pretty neutral on the Mii costume list. Of course that could change soon. Patience everyone.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Doom Slayer, Crash Bandicoot, insert Capcom rep.

But honestly, I think almost everyone will be wrong and fighter #5 will be a character no one saw coming.
I welcome this

looks like Joker won’t be our Last Surprise after all!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Before, I compared speculation to an Etch a Sketch, where what you drew based on what you knew was then shaken and erased when something new pops up.

Now I feel like its more apt to liken speculation to being a shaken Etch a Sketch that is then set on fire and then fired at with a bazooka which is also on fire.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Doom Slayer, Crash Bandicoot, insert Capcom rep.

But honestly, I think almost everyone will be wrong and fighter #5 will be a character no one saw coming.
It's time to split!... through time and get that Smash invitation before anyone else so Sgt. Cortez can be in Smash Bros!

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
There are many reasons as to why people want a character in Smash. Usually it boils down to one of the following (in no particular order):
- Affection. "I played this game, and either due to my love of the character or as an extension of my love for the game itself, I would like to see this character be included as a playable fighter in Smash."
- Nostalgia. "I remember really liking this game when I was a child or other some such prebubescant, and as such I would like to see this character be included as a playable fighter in Smash."
- Support. "I was going through a rough time in my personal life, and this game and/or character helped me get though that, and as such I would like to see this character be included as a playable fighter in Smash."
- Function. "I want to see characters that bring something cool to the table in terms of a moveset and style, and because this character has a lot of potential in this department, I would like to see this character be included as a playable fighter in Smash."
- Quota. "We have too many of this type of character and/or not enough of this type of character, and as such I would like to see this character be included as a playable fighter in Smash."
- Pattern. "We have to have this character be included as a playable fighter in Smash in order to fit this trend or complete this pattern."
- Bandwagon. "Despite possibly being ambivalent to the character at worst, I would like to see this character be included as a playable fighter in Smash solely because many others also want said character."
- Solidarity. "I've already been lucky enough to have all the characters I'd ever want come to Smash, and anyone else is gravy. As such I would like to see this character be included as a playable fighter in Smash, so that others may soon feel the satisfaction I feel."
- Contagion. "The rampant support of this character, the reasons being provided as to why other want them in Smash, or the sheer positive attitude from the collective of supporters for this character, has lead to me becoming invested in this character being included as a playable fighter in Smash."
- Petulance. "I only/mainly want this character to be included as a playable fighter in Smash because then other people I don't like will be upset."
- Belonging. "I only/mainly support this character because of the sense of community I have with the like-minded individuals who also want this character."
- Waifuism/Husbandoism "I am thirstier than the dryest deserts and have more sexual drive than a thousand virgins, and I need this character to be included as a playable fighter in Smash in a vain attempt to satify my unending lust for whatever it is I am attracted to."
- Undecided. "I don't know why I support this character being included as a playable fighter in Smash."
- Non-human "I have no means of communicating, understanding, or caring about whatever it is you're discussing."
- Squid. "Bloop."
... and so on. Smash speculation is a wild beast, and we're wildly varied creatures.
Finally, we can earn that "Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series" badge.

I just really don't see what would make him any different from Bayonetta aside from being visually more appealing.
He'd basically be like Joker only with more gun.
Maybe there's something in the water?
Before, I compared speculation to an Etch a Sketch, where what you drew based on what you knew was then shaken and erased when something new pops up.

Now I feel like its more apt to liken speculation to being a shaken Etch a Sketch that is then set on fire and then fired at with a bazooka which is also on fire.
Or a leaf on the backs of a hundred angry locusts in the backseat of a car driving on uneven terrain during an earthquake.

D

Deleted member

If the fighter 5 is a wildcard character, it maybe a character that is much more associated with the PlayStation like Joker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom