• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Can't talk about it. I'm under strict orders that I can't even so much as hint at who else has been talked about behind the scenes aside from Geno and Ryu because of all the problems it caused when I hinted at Banjo back in April. I will say, however, based on what I know, at least 4 post pass characters seems likely and that 5 and 6 will probably be revealed by the end of the year (possibly even 7 depending on how things go). Nobody knows about the VGAs yet but I could see it happening, especially if 5 and 6 aren't revealed in close tandem.
That’s unfortunate but I totally understand. Thanks. 4 post pass characters may be the most we’ve heard from an actual insider.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Well, naturally you'd run into people who know who Reimu is at an event celebrating things like Reimu.

That's like saying "I went to a meteorology convention and a lot of the people there knew a thing or two about the weather"

I'm not opposed to Reimu, I just don't think she's as well-known as some people (especially those who frequent gaming forums like us) think she is.
Oh, absolutely. I just wanted to make clear that she's not a "literal who", as you called her.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I could definitely see 5 being revealed with Terry and if not at the VGAs along with 6 to drum up hype for the content coming after the FP. 6 and 7 both before the end of the year seems kind of crazy though unless it's a tandem reveal where multiple characters are revealed in a single cinematic like Ken/Inceneroar and Simon/Richter.
A VGA situation will probably be a fake out like last year, pretending it's something else or somehow tying Smash into it. "Wow, this new Kirby trailer looks great... HOLY CRAP! WHAT'S FURBY DOING THERE?! WHAAAAT?!? HE'S COMING TO SMASH?!?!!1?1!?1!" That sort of thing. I see another curve ball situation with fans going nuts in disbelief if the VGAs are another repeat. I don't see it being straight forward and Nintendo's will be cheeky as all hell about it if it happens.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A VGA situation will probably be a fake out like last year, pretending it's something else or somehow tying Smash into it. "Wow, this new Kirby trailer looks great... HOLY CRAP! WHAT'S FURBY DOING THERE?! WHAAAAT?!? HE'S COMING TO SMASH?!?!!1?1!?1!" That sort of thing. I see another curve ball situation with fans going nuts in disbelief if the VGAs are another repeat. I don't see it being straight forward and Nintendo's will be cheeky as all hell about it if it happens.
I could see that, but it will certainly be hard to pull it off to the same extent Joker did last TGA.

D

Deleted member

So I know that I was upset with how things were going on in this thread, but I just felt a massive surge of Geno support after I watch that Papa Gino's video late last night so I had to check in and it's starting to look like all the naysayers are feeling awful happy right now. I'm not even mad good on you guys.

Just wanted to show you that while I'm out getting some fast food and still celebrating Geno rocking it everywhere I go!
having just gotten lunch at Burger King not long ago, I can't tell you how jealous I am that I am no longer near an In-n-Out.

After Geno grants my wish that he shows up, maybe the day can come that I go back to where the In-n-Outs are.

EDIT: I can't believe Furby is coming to Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I'm not expecting another fake out tbh, mainly because of how predictable it would be.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That’s unfortunate but I totally understand. Thanks. 4 post pass characters may be the most we’ve heard from an actual insider.
People are pretty confident that Sakurai's nuts enough to support DLC for at least another year so one new character for each "season" seems like a safe guess. Not confirmed but it's looking less and less likely that Sakurai's going to do like 2 post pass characters and pull the plug. We will probably be talking about Smash DLC by this time next year too, even if it's ultimately wrapping up in time for the second anniversary.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, this may be unrelated to the discussion, but when do you guys think the next Direct will be? It doesn't have to be the standard Direct, but another type of Direct like a Smash Direct, if we get any kind of Direct to begin with, that is.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Only character I can really see being able to pull of another fakeout is Travis Touchdown tbh, given the self-aware tone of his series. I'm not expecting lightning to strike twice at the VGAs.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Is it too picky of me to say that there have been so many leaks that they've become stale in general? It's almost like we've come to the point where the word leak is leakbait, if that makes any sense. I sure hope Nintendo surprises us!

Glad to see Fatmanonice again, hope you've been well!

Dan

Smash Lord
Just dropping in to ask you guys what you think of Isaac's chances for the post fighters pass next year? I am still supporting Geno strongly as he is my #1 and my ballot vote, but Isaac is my close 2nd and with Golden Sunday coming up next week, Its just something I was curious about. Are his chances looking good to you geno bros or do you think he is a done deal as an AT?
I unfortunately think AT's are doomed, though anything is possible. Isaac and Geno are the most deserving to become fighters bar none, followed by Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong (imo); if the fighter pass was those four and Banjo I would be happy forever.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Can't talk about it. I'm under strict orders that I can't even so much as hint at who else has been talked about behind the scenes aside from Geno and Ryu...
So are you saying that both Ryu Hayabusa and Geno are legitimately being talked about behind the scenes?

(Also, if you can, do you mind sharing if you find either of them being leakbait likely or unlikely?)

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Axelocke Axelocke I'll post this in this thread for the sake of conversation: I agree with your signature all day. Just think, they could've developed Geno, Isaac and even Mallow instead of the Gunner, Sword Fighter and Brawler. To quote D1: "**** the Mii's!". Playing as a Mii is useless and unauthentic unless they go all out like Sans. That being said, I'll still take a Geno costume over nothing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So are you saying that both Ryu Hayabusa and Geno are legitimately being talked about behind the scenes?

(Also, if you can, do you mind sharing if you find either of them being leakbait likely or unlikely?)
Like I said, these are the only two characters that I can talk about that have reputable people supporting them. I will say that if either are leakbait then a number of fairly prominent people have been fooled. It's one of those situations. Ryu's considered a borderline lock by a lot of people and even the more skeptical people when it comes to Geno consider it coming down to a coin toss. That said, the situation has largely stayed the same since Terry was revealed.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I was really hoping Geno would be the first poss fighters pass character, but a VGA style reveal makes me worry it will be some random character no one’s expecting

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Were I a Nintendo Ninja, I'd be happy at how many breadcrumbs are being left for me.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
If Ryu Hayabusa is getting in then I'm glad I cheated my way through Ninja Gaiden on NES.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I was really hoping Geno would be the first poss fighters pass character, but a VGA style reveal makes me worry it will be some random character no one’s expecting
I think someone like Lloyd or Doom Guy could work as possible VGA fakeout. If Geno showed up on screen there’s litterally only two possiblities, the most likely being smash

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ugh, all this talk about leaks makes me think: I know it's only 11 days, but can't November COME ANY SOONER?!

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Just dropping in to ask you guys what you think of Isaac's chances for the post fighters pass next year? I am still supporting Geno strongly as he is my #1 and my ballot vote, but Isaac is my close 2nd and with Golden Sunday coming up next week, Its just something I was curious about. Are his chances looking good to you geno bros or do you think he is a done deal as an AT?
Unfortunately, with the "evidence" we have go go off of in terms of what kinds of characters Nintendo will pursue for Smash DLC I don't think Isaac or AT characters in general have much of a chance. Of course, Sakurai did mention opportunities to grant more fan requests so it's not outside of the realm of possibility for Isaac, another Golden Sun character like Felix, or another AT character to make it in. I certainly wouldn't hold your breath for it. Even with all the factors going for Ryu I wouldn't be surprised if Ryu never made it into DLC at all. Terry totally blindsided us and I definitely won't be shocked if most of the rest of DLC does the same by introducing characters that make sense in retrospect but really weren't being discussed much.

Regardless of what happens, I hope you get both Geno and Isaac (or a Golden Sun rep). Isaac is one of those weird characters where I've played their game, like the character/game, think there's enough to work with in Smash, and really want in Smash for the sake of others but never really grew attached to myself.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I think someone like Lloyd or Doom Guy could work as possible VGA fakeout. If Geno showed up on screen there’s litterally only two possiblities, the most likely being smash
That’s great for fans of those characters, but Geno could only lead to two things, Smash or MarioRPG, and i was hoping hed be the 6th dlc

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Can't talk about it. I'm under strict orders that I can't even so much as hint at who else has been talked about behind the scenes aside from Geno and Ryu because of all the problems it caused when I hinted at Banjo back in April. I will say, however, based on what I know, at least 4 post pass characters seems likely and that 5 and 6 will probably be revealed by the end of the year (possibly even 7 depending on how things go). Nobody knows about the VGAs yet but I could see it happening, especially if 5 and 6 aren't revealed in close tandem.
Thanks for this heads up. We'll keep our eyes open on Terry when he comes out presumably at the beginning of November, and see if there's anything major after that

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Honestly, no offense to the people who legitimately want these characters, because I have nothing against them as characters, but Terry and Ryu as #4 and #5 is a very underwhelming way to end off a pass that started with Joker, Hero, and Banjo, in my opinion.

I was hoping they’d learn something from the base game regarding front-loading their largest reveals, and again, I have nothing against the characters as characters, it’s more that they just seem really weird to end the pass with after dropping the Banjo bombshell. Even seeing something like “Joker, Hero, Terry, Ryu, Banjo” would make more sense to me, as Banjo wouldn’t skyrocket everyone’s hopes into the stratosphere.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I'm just gonna respond to everyone in one post here. First off I've seen a few people suggesting/saying this so to be clear:

The Crash leak/Mii costume person is NOT the person who told me about Banjo a year ago.

The Banjo person with the microsoft source has never leaked anything other than banjo to me. Though we do talk here and there and speculate (we talked before terrys reveal and were speculating on who DLC4 might be for instance). So yeah this Mii Costume List/Crash stuff is coming from a completely different place than the Banjo stuff, I'd have said it was the Banjo leaker if that were the case as it would add credibility for sure but it is not that person.

Right now I'm thinking Ryu Hayabusa is DLC5, im not ready to go 100% all in on any character for DLC5 though. Hyabusa is just who my CURRENT GUESS is, based on what I'm hearing.

That isn't to say the "Crash/Mii costume list" thing isnt legitimate info though, there just might be something odd going on...

First off The Mii Costume list seems legitimate to me and its basically impossible to guess goemon/rocket grunts, so that part is a solid leak imo. The mallow/smithy/chocobo stuff attached to it DO make me think geno is likely but I have nothing more to say on that other than speculating. The brew leak also has a "soft" geno leak somewhat attached to it, so geno seems to be slightly a part of both of these leaks, which is good news imo.

I've talked to Sabi about this and even with their NoA source saying "no tracer no crash", as far as im aware sabi is still totally on board with the "mii costume list" part of the leak being a legit real leak. Also sabi has suggested the "no crash" quote from their NoA source MIGHT just mean "no crash as the NEXT fighter" as in Crash isnt DLC5 not that Crash isnt happening at all. Saying "no" to a character kind of implies you would have to know every character we are getting and that seems impossible to know at this point.

Now as for the Crash part of the leak specifically, I can only go so far with that piece. I'll explain what i mean:

Leaks are a game of telephone. What I was told by this person was that "fighter 5 is crash" and that it was coming from the same IGN source of theirs that told them the Mii Costume list in July. HOWEVER I have no contact with the IGN source so if the IGN source has MULTIPLE sources of their own its possible "Crash" and the "Mii costume list" are actually coming from different places. I have no way of knowing if there is a split in the chain of communication after the IGN source, so while it seems from our perspective that the "crash" and "mii costume list" are coming from the same source (the IGN source) I do not know for sure if both those pieces of information actually ORIGINATE from the same source. again its a game of telephone and I can only see so far down the line.

heres a visual for what I mean:

IGNsplitsourceexplained.jpg

MY SPECULATION:

Right now I have a bit of a theory for what I think MIGHT be happening. This is something that seems to KEEP happening with leakers; They get the order wrong.

Vergeben heard "Erdrick" and thought he'd be the first DLC revealed... instead we got joker.
I heard Banjo and the Grinch Leak had me thinking he would be in the base game. Instead he WAS in, but as DLC.
Iamshifty heard Ryu Hayabusa and said he was the NEXT fighter (DLC4). instead we got Terry BUT potentially Ryu Hayabusa is DLC5.

What MIGHT be happening with this crash thing is ONCE AGAIN someone is hearing a solid character leak and ASSUMING the order.

So IF crash is in fact ORIGINATING from the same source as the Mii Costume List info (and again I explained its possible they aren't I have no way of knowing where the IGN Source is hearing this stuff from) then I think Crash is probably happening but LATER down the line, while Hayabusa is likely DLC5. Thats just my current speculation here on all of this though, I do not know for sure who DLC5 is or any characters getting into Smash right now. Even though the "leak" I was told was specifically "fighter 5 is crash" I think that is potentially just an assumption of the order. It seems leakers KEEP ASSUMING the order when the only real info they actually have is a characters name. I'm basically guilty of doing this myself with the Grinch Leak and the Banjo info. Smash characters come from tons of different companies and very few people have the whole picture but hearing only one name causes them to assume that name must be happening imminently when that is not always the case.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So......by dissecting all this information using logic and science, we can accurately say that:
-23 more characters are being released between now and next Tuesday,
-Geno is 37 people,
-FatmanonIce is Sakurai's dream-time alt personality,
-Dark DoomCrashRyu paired with Jill Valentine dresses as Waluigi is the next character to be revealed at a VGA reaction video studio located in some basement in New Jersey,
-Super Titanium RoseGoldPink Wapeach is character 87,
-Geno will have a top hat that fires chainsaws made of stars that explode,
-Dixie will be an echo of Diddy.

.......that Dixie hint sounds suspect, though. She doesn't even use a rocket barrel.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I'm just gonna respond to everyone in one post here. First off I've seen a few people suggesting/saying this so to be clear:

The Crash leak/Mii costume person is NOT the person who told me about Banjo a year ago.

The Banjo person with the microsoft source has never leaked anything other than banjo to me. Though we do talk here and there and speculate (we talked before terrys reveal and were speculating on who DLC4 might be for instance). So yeah this Mii Costume List/Crash stuff is coming from a completely different place than the Banjo stuff, I'd have said it was the Banjo leaker if that were the case as it would add credibility for sure but it is not that person.

Right now I'm thinking Ryu Hayabusa is DLC5, im not ready to go 100% all in on any character for DLC5 though. Hyabusa is just who my CURRENT GUESS is, based on what I'm hearing.

That isn't to say the "Crash/Mii costume list" thing isnt legitimate info though, there just might be something odd going on...

First off The Mii Costume list seems legitimate to me and its basically impossible to guess goemon/rocket grunts, so that part is a solid leak imo. The mallow/smithy/chocobo stuff attached to it DO make me think geno is likely but I have nothing more to say on that other than speculating. The brew leak also has a "soft" geno leak somewhat attached to it, so geno seems to be slightly a part of both of these leaks, which is good news imo.

I've talked to Sabi about this and even with their NoA source saying "no tracer no crash", as far as im aware sabi is still totally on board with the "mii costume list" part of the leak being a legit real leak. Also sabi has suggested the "no crash" quote from their NoA source MIGHT just mean "no crash as the NEXT fighter" as in Crash isnt DLC5 not that Crash isnt happening at all. Saying "no" to a character kind of implies you would have to know every character we are getting and that seems impossible to know at this point.

Now as for the Crash part of the leak specifically, I can only go so far with that piece. I'll explain what i mean:

Leaks are a game of telephone. What I was told by this person was that "fighter 5 is crash" and that it was coming from the same IGN source of theirs that told them the Mii Costume list in July. HOWEVER I have no contact with the IGN source so if the IGN source has MULTIPLE sources of their own its possible "Crash" and the "Mii costume list" are actually coming from different places. I have no way of knowing if there is a split in the chain of communication after the IGN source, so while it seems from our perspective that the "crash" and "mii costume list" are coming from the same source (the IGN source) I do not know for sure if both those pieces of information actually ORIGINATE from the same source. again its a game of telephone and I can only see so far down the line.

View attachment 242837

MY SPECULATION:

Right now I have a bit of a theory for what I think MIGHT be happening. This is something that seems to KEEP happening with leakers; They get the order wrong.

Vergeben heard "Erdrick" and thought he'd be the first DLC revealed... instead we got joker.
I heard Banjo and the Grinch Leak had me thinking he would be in the base game. Instead he WAS in, but as DLC.
Iamshifty heard Ryu Hayabusa and said he was the NEXT fighter (DLC4). instead we got Terry BUT potentially Ryu Hayabusa is DLC5.

What MIGHT be happening with this crash thing is ONCE AGAIN someone is hearing a solid character leak and ASSUMING the order.

So IF crash is in fact ORIGINATING from the same source as the Mii Costume List info (and again I explained its possible they aren't I have no way of knowing where the IGN Source is hearing this stuff from) then I think Crash is probably happening but LATER down the line, while Hayabusa is likely DLC5. Thats just my current speculation here on all of this though, I do not know for sure who DLC5 is or any characters getting into Smash right now. Even though the "leak" I was told was specifically "fighter 5 is crash" I think that is potentially just an assumption of the order. It seems leakers KEEP ASSUMING the order when the only real info they actually have is a characters name. I'm basically guilty of doing this myself with the Grinch Leak and the Banjo info. Smash characters come from tons of different companies and very few people have the whole picture but hearing only one name causes them to assume that name must be happening imminently when that is not always the case.

Very interesting thanks for the info papa. Even if crash does not happen I'm happy the mii leak is still on the table.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I hope it's Crash. I would love to see another mascot instead of another realistic human character.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Honestly, no offense to the people who legitimately want these characters, because I have nothing against them as characters, but Terry and Ryu as #4 and #5 is a very underwhelming way to end off a pass that started with Joker, Hero, and Banjo, in my opinion.

I was hoping they’d learn something from the base game regarding front-loading their largest reveals, and again, I have nothing against the characters as characters, it’s more that they just seem really weird to end the pass with after dropping the Banjo bombshell. Even seeing something like “Joker, Hero, Terry, Ryu, Banjo” would make more sense to me, as Banjo wouldn’t skyrocket everyone’s hopes into the stratosphere.
The "hype" of characters reveals is entirely subjective for one, and I mean Terry is another major face of 90s fighting games and Ninja Gaiden is a super beloved NES action adventure title and modern 3D action title. They may be underwhelming for you, but they're not inherently underwhelming picks. This isn't even a case of people being more interested in say Incineroar than others when there were 9 other Pokemon already playable, these are characters from entirely unique franchises beloved by millions in their own right. It's really hard to have a "consistent" third party line-up of characters that can satisfy everybody's expectations. They were all made to appeal to all kinds of different fans and bring in said classic and modern franchises. For some people, those first three weren't exciting at all and a Terry and Ryu are the most exciting reveals of the season. When you have new franchises, I find it really hard to say that the reveals are front loaded. The demographics of Joker to Hero, Hero to Banjo & Kazooie, Banjo & Kazooie to Terry, Terry to Ryu Hayabusa (theoretically), and everything in between are just absolutely all over the place.

Besides, it makes more sense to entice players to buy the DLC early through the Fighter's Pass than later on. Most people have generally decided on the pass by now, so a 5th character is unlikely to sway many people at this point.

Unrelated to you. My wager is that we'll see Ryu Hayabusa as the final of the Fighter's Pass, and Geno and Crash Bandicoot as post pass fighters. They all make sense and appeal to different groups, and are major characters in their own right. I find it hard to believe that Crash especially would go overlooked at this point with his current renaissance as a character and the only legitimate knock against him being the whole "belongs to Activision" factor. If people made exceptions for Sugiyama and Dragon Quest, I'm sure they'd make the exception for Activision and Crash TBH (I mean, Smash licensing and profits have to be pennies compared to how much Activision makes everywhere else anyway).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Wow, this thread perked up quick. A day or two ago there weren't even half as many as now.
This thread always lights up when there is new information about or an opportunity that could lead to more Smash information. Doubly so if Geno is mentioned in any capacity. Tis just the order of things around here when we have such an involved community.

Dan

Smash Lord
I feel like if we get Crash then people will want Spyro, then people will want Bomberman and then it'll never ****ing end; that's the blessing and curse of Smash.

I think every character has about an equal amount of people who care/don't care/are neutral about them. People got hyped over a generic Mario enemy that was probably made to piss people off.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Sorry papagenos papagenos , for some reason when you mentioned the guy being alongside you for Banjo I thought it was the same guy from Grinch Leak. I apologize for assuming.

its cool, I just meant that they were also on board with banjo being in not that they had anything to do with where I heard banjo from, sorry if that was confusing.

Dan

Smash Lord
Smash speculation getting as confusing as the plot of Kingdom Hearts. :dizzy:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I'm just glad that no matter where this goes Geno is being talked about behind the scenes. It's pretty crazy that such an old character would be the subject of much speculation after 23 years.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

View attachment 242837

MY SPECULATION:

Papa Geno’s, can you ya talking to the Crash/Mini costume leaker if you think there is something odd going on with what he said, see what’s up with the situation?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm just glad that no matter where this goes Geno is being talked about behind the scenes. It's pretty crazy that such an old character would be the subject of much speculation after 23 years.
I'm happy that Geno has managed to stay relevant virtually this entire speculation cycle. He's one of those characters that hasn't gone away and that's pretty nice. Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Geno being #7 would totally be a Sakurai move. If #6 isn't immediately after #5, my guess is that #6 will be a VGA reveal and #7 will be early to mid Spring.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Papa Geno’s, can you ya talking to the Crash/Mini costume leaker if you think there is something odd going on with what he said, see what’s up with the situation?
Frankly I hope he's working on a vid to clear the air that people polluted about what he said and that he can add more information about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom