• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Right. Based on what's known, the chances of Crash or Tracer being 5, 6, or even 7 are fairly small and betting on either before, say, E3 2020 is a fool's bet, at least right now.
I see. Glad to see you again. You came back at the right time. By the way, this isn't just you saying that, right? Just want to make sure.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
In the end we are only being healthy skeptical about this leak, as we always should be with any leak. There's literally no harm done unless you decide to 100% blindly believe it. Hell Grinch leaked looked super legit to many and then it wasn't. Of course this is different because there are "super hard to believe to just be guesses" considering what they were and what we got. It could be all true, partially true, not true at all. Again we don't know how this person got this info, and yet it doesn't take away we've been bs-ed by him in the past. There is definitely not 100% credibility on this, but it's also not 0% given the circumstances. It's just another case of taking it with a grain of salt, just like Ryu Hayabusa anyway (whose leaker only got one thing wrong in all the stuff they have leaked). There's also the case of leakbait being possibly thrown around (as it happened with Hero) so if this person got stuff right from a certain source he has, nothing takes away of part of it being fake too. We just gotta wait and see, it doesn't affect negatively Geno's chances in no way anyway, if it's true it would just be extra good leads, if it's fake we still have good reasons Geno is coming as we did before we even heard any of this leak. There's really not much else to say at this point, it's just a wait and see situation.

Last edited:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Right. Based on what's known, the chances of Crash or Tracer being 5, 6, or even 7 are fairly small and betting on either before, say, E3 2020 is a fool's bet, at least right now.
Thanks for the info buddy. Glad your back.
Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 11.09.53 AM.png
Heres hoping Geno makes it

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Just because it's a recent thing, do you have anything to talk about in regard to the Reimu music leak Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ? Not sure if that is a discord leak, but I thought it worth asking, especially with you not expecting western characters anytime soon.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just want to say, if what that guy who leaked the Crash being in Ultimate and those Mii costumes is true, and based on what Fatmanonice said, even though this may be the wrong topic for this, I reckon Crash may still be in the works for Smash and may cone out next year. Maybe not right after whoever is the fifth pass character, but sometime after. The leaker just may have been wrong about Crash being the fifth pass fighter.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just because it's a recent thing, do you have anything to talk about in regard to the Reimu music leak Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ? Not sure if that is a discord leak, but I thought it worth asking, especially with you not expecting western characters anytime soon.
On my end I haven't really seen anything credible supporting it. It just kind of exists and largely feel like Touhou is still part of the conversation because /v/ wants to will it into existence . On the opposite end of things, Ryu's situation has basically just gotten better over time. As probably like 4 or 5 people have said, there's enough confidence right now that it's more of a matter of when than if. If not 5, probably 6 unless, like I said in another thread, people are being hard led by the nose like they were for Steve. Unlike Steve, however, I feel like people with much better track records are supporting it, leading me to currently believe it's true.

MattX20

Smash Hero
What's interesting about the costume thing is that it came out even before Hero so "guessing" most of those characters with virtually no precedent would have had to have been extremely lucky. No Dragon Quest guesses or RARE? That's a hard steer, especially nailing something so seemingly random as Goemon when there's arguably no Konami front-runners as is as DLC requests. Again, this puts the chances of them knowing something pretty high, even if the information winds up being outdated.
That was my thought also. Getting Goemon and Rocket Grunt is way too much to be considered just a mere lucky guess. Same is also true for no Microsoft costumes, and especially the Luminary. He has some good sources of information, that much is certain

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I dunno, Sakurai has said he tries to stay away from region specific characters and Reimu is pretty much "literally who" outside of Japan and her very small number of western diehards
Yeah, I know. I mean, if he knew Mother 3 would not come out outside of Japan, he wouldn't add Lucas, as he said.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If anyone else makes it in from a Western developer, I feel like whoever will predominantly have to do the work to make it happen.
Bethesda seem to be cosy with Nintendo lately, what with the support to bring Doom back on the Nintendo Switch, I wonder if they're trying to cater to Nintendo to get Doom Guy into Smash Bros? Maybe not... No one credible is talking about him.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Going to sum things up here, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:
-Multiple people saying Ryu Hayabusa is fifth or "coming" in the future. At this point it would not shock me he was actually fifth.
-Several Ryu Hayabusa leaks involve Geno coming one way or another
-A PapaGenos' source predicts the costumes coming with Banjo in July, with Mallow and Smithy costumes from SMRPG. The existence of this post in July has apparently been corroborated by multiple people.
-Costume guy is told Crash is coming from an IGN source.
-NoA ambassador guy says Crash and Tracer aren't in the cards right now. Same guy mentioned Geno as a DLC choice multiple Nintendo employees he knows were talking about.
-"Jonesy leak" that's got enough weird holes in it that it isn't even worth considering.

Possibilities here:
-Crash was just negotiated between Activision and Nintendo for Smash way down the line. Activision employee told IGN employee told leaker.
-Crash is not coming to Smash and leaker is mistaken
-Costume list is fake (Papa seems pretty convinced it's real)
-Costume list is very real and Geno is coming to Smash
-Ryu Hayabusa/Geno leaks are real and Geno is coming to Smash
-Ryu, Geno, and Crash are all coming to Smash, it would just take a long time to get there.

Somewhere in the heart of all these leaks lies the truth.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Remember when Banjo was announced and everyone was predicting stuff like Grunty, Bottles, and Tooty mii costumes?

Even Steve and Chief costumes were being talked about

I still think NO microsoft mii costumes is a hard guess

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Remember when Banjo was announced and everyone was predicting stuff like Grunty, Bottles, and Tooty mii costumes?

I still think NO microsoft mii costumes is a hard guess
I think most people were expecting Minecraft costumes and stuff like Master Chief gunner too.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I dunno, Sakurai has said he tries to stay away from region specific characters and Reimu is pretty much "literally who" outside of Japan and her very small number of western diehards
Idk, I think she has a bit more of a fanbase in the West, it's just not so much a Nintendo community thing. I have known of Touhou and Reimu for a long while now due to my exsposure to some other communities.

Plank08

Smash Lord
What's interesting about the costume thing is that it came out even before Hero so "guessing" most of those characters with virtually no precedent would have had to have been extremely lucky. No Dragon Quest guesses or RARE? That's a hard steer, especially nailing something so seemingly random as Goemon when there's arguably no Konami front-runners as is as DLC requests. Again, this puts the chances of them knowing something pretty high, even if the information winds up being outdated.
Ayyy your back! Hope your doing good man

D

Deleted member

Hoo boy, things are getting real if Fatmanonice is back...

Well shoot, I sure hope my game's protag doesn't suck when the time comes.
When I say that, mostly I mean that western games have an overwhelming tendency to focus on gritty realism and faceless, often customizable characters. Very rarely do western developers make a likeable character with staying power. Call me a weeb or whatever, but Japanese developers really know how to make an icon. More and more we're seeing western developers pick up on what makes Japanese characters memorable, but they're small, indie studios typically. I believe in your ability to make a character just as much as I believe in my own.

But still what's fair is fair. If there's going to be a character that's only for the eastern fans then there needs to be something for the western fans as well; just like how Hero & Banjo were together. If Sakurai wants Smash Bros to be an introduction of Japanese developed characters to the rest of the world then he should introduced some other characters to the eastern side as well so this can actually be a celebration of video games.
I didn't quote it, but I didn't say Touhou was bigger, I'm saying it is bigger now than Fire Emblem was then. There's nothing fair about that comparison since the internet is much more prolific, now.

As for what I have quoted, why should Sakurai feel any desire to make something "fair"? You really think Banjo was revealed next to Hero because it takes the burn off of getting Japan's national video game added to Smash? You know Dragon Quest 1-4 were released here, right? And 8 and 9 and 11? This isn't a Fire Emblem deal, we don't even have a costume for a Hero who is unplayable in the west. Banjo was revealed next to Hero because they both were almost done at approximately the same time.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Multiple? I'm pretty sure only the costume leak has been pointing towards Geno. Where did you get this from?
The Brew guy (Guy who made the Piranha Plant post on his facebook) heard Geno from his source but it was jokingly said.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
This whole leak scenario with Crash reminds me of the Dante Leak way back. There was a guy on 4chan who seemed to have leaked a lot of legit stuff for Devil May Cry V after E3 and then said that he saw Dante's reveal trailer for Smash Bros. That also goes to show that sometime people with legit info will screw with other by showing fake info. For all we know the guy who leaked those Mii Costumes might've BSed when it came to Mallow & Smithy Mii Costume seeing how they were a troll when it comes to Sabi.

I think it's always best to take every single leak with a grain of salt and not getting way too deep into it where you think everything is confirmed... but I will say that Eggman Nega is going to be one of the DLC Fighters. Get hype!
ddfy3dh-3c8c77e2-ea01-4126-a4bd-45f7354b4d75.jpg

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
In the end we are only being healthy skeptical about this leak, as we always should be with any leak. There's literally no harm done unless you decide to 100% blindly believe it. Hell Grinch leaked looked super legit to many and then it wasn't. Of course this is different because there are "super hard to believe to just be guesses" considering what they were and what we got. It could be all true, partially true, not true at all. Again we don't know how this person got this info, and yet it doesn't take away we've been bs-ed by him in the past. There is definitely not 100% credibility on this, but it's also not 0% given the circumstances. It's just another case of taking it with a grain of salt, just like Ryu Hayabusa anyway (whose leaker only got one thing wrong in all the stuff they have leaked). There's also the case of leakbait being possibly thrown around (as it happened with Hero) so if this person got stuff right from a certain source he has, nothing takes away of part of it being fake too. We just gotta wait and see, it doesn't affect negatively Geno's chances in no way anyway, if it's true it would just be extra good leads, if it's fake we still have good reasons Geno is coming as we did before we even heard any of this leak. There's really not much else to say at this point, it's just a wait and see situation.
Just speaking for myself I think it’s difficult to not trust that this person has legit info due to the fact that for as much as everyone else outside if your server knows this person has had legit information that did pan out. Information that in my eyes makes him more credible than 90% of leakers like Vergeben, IAmShifty, and Brew. If he’s guilty of ****tery in the past the rest of us are clueless on that and we’d just be taking your word for it. Like I don’t see how things like him being young necessarily take away from his having legit information at the end of the day. Has he specifically faked things regarding SSBU before? Did anyone else like the NoA guy hear about the costumes he posted? Because if not then it’s fair to assume the NoA guy and the IGN source may just have different lines of information. And at the same time leakbait could be an issue on either side.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Ya brew is not 100 precent sure on Geno but did say to keep an eye on him. That to me is a really good sign. I also think the mii leak could still be real based on the info we know.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Surprised not alot of people are talking about the Reimu leak
Tbh that's for the reimu thread to cover anyway lol.

Possibilities here:
-Crash was just negotiated between Activision and Nintendo for Smash way down the line. Activision employee told IGN employee told leaker.
-Crash is not coming to Smash and leaker is mistaken
-Costume list is fake (Papa seems pretty convinced it's real)
-Costume list is very real and Geno is coming to Smash
-Ryu Hayabusa/Geno leaks are real and Geno is coming to Smash
-Ryu, Geno, and Crash are all coming to Smash, it would just take a long time to get there.

Somewhere in the heart of all these leaks lies the truth.
I think it's between the last two possibliities yeah. Either way we have good leads for possibly Geno in the end, just hoping he definitely comes already. I almost even feel Geno would be a great opener for next pass (or whatever it is if isn't a pass) as proof of what sakurai stated of "oportunities to please fans".

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Idk, I think she has a bit more of a fanbase in the West, it's just not so much a Nintendo community thing. I have known of Touhou and Reimu for a long while now due to my exsposure to some other communities.
Pretty much, yeah. Me and my friend were cosplaying two of the characters at a German anime convention and we got recognized before even entering the building. Touhou might be niche but it's not super unknown.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
If you don’t mind me asking, who do you think the top contenders for those spots are right now, other than Ryu.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
It could definitely be a situation of mixed correct info and trolling.

Honestly I thought even a Mallow costume was pretty unlikely, (even if Geno got in.) I obviously want him and Smithy so bad as costumes but that’s one part of it that would also be a “hard guess” if proven right.

But the interesting thing is just how old it is, that post is dated July 17th, so this isn’t just before Banjo was out but before Hero was out.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
It could definitely be a situation of mixed correct info and trolling.

Honestly I thought even a Mallow costume was pretty unlikely, (even if Geno got in.) I obviously want him and Smithy so bad as costumes but that’s one part of it that would also be a “hard guess” if proven right.

But the interesting thing is just how old it is, that post is dated July 17th, so this isn’t just before Banjo was out but before Hero was out.
I really think that if Crash turns out false, the mii costumes could still be correct. We wont know for months but I think we should keep it in mind after other leaks/info drops occur.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Hoo boy, things are getting real if Fatmanonice is back...

When I say that, mostly I mean that western games have an overwhelming tendency to focus on gritty realism and faceless, often customizable characters. Very rarely do western developers make a likeable character with staying power. Call me a weeb or whatever, but Japanese developers really know how to make an icon. More and more we're seeing western developers pick up on what makes Japanese characters memorable, but they're small, indie studios typically. I believe in your ability to make a character just as much as I believe in my own.

I didn't quote it, but I didn't say Touhou was bigger, I'm saying it is bigger now than Fire Emblem was then. There's nothing fair about that comparison since the internet is much more prolific, now.

As for what I have quoted, why should Sakurai feel any desire to make something "fair"? You really think Banjo was revealed next to Hero because it takes the burn off of getting Japan's national video game added to Smash? You know Dragon Quest 1-4 were released here, right? And 8 and 9 and 11? This isn't a Fire Emblem deal, we don't even have a costume for a Hero who is unplayable in the west. Banjo was revealed next to Hero because they both were almost done at approximately the same time.
Yeah, I agree on the Western thing. That's why I'm hoping to make my game venture away from those aspects of Western gaming. It may be indie but some games usually start indie before they become the next Mario or Kirby.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If you don’t mind me asking, who do you think the top contenders for those spots are right now, other than Ryu.
Can't talk about it. I'm under strict orders that I can't even so much as hint at who else has been talked about behind the scenes aside from Geno and Ryu because of all the problems it caused when I hinted at Banjo back in April. I will say, however, based on what I know, at least 4 post pass characters seems likely and that 5 and 6 will probably be revealed by the end of the year (possibly even 7 depending on how things go). Nobody knows about the VGAs yet but I could see it happening, especially if 5 and 6 aren't revealed in close tandem.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Can't talk about it. I'm under strict orders that I can't even so much as hint at who else has been talked about behind the scenes aside from Geno and Ryu because of all the problems it caused when I hinted at Banjo back in April. I will say, however, based on what I know, at least 4 post pass characters seems likely and that 5 and 6 will probably be revealed by the end of the year (possibly even 7 depending on how things go). Nobody knows about the VGAs yet but I could see it happening, especially if 5 and 6 aren't revealed in close tandem.
I could definitely see 5 being revealed with Terry and if not at the VGAs along with 6 to drum up hype for the content coming after the FP. 6 and 7 both before the end of the year seems kind of crazy though unless it's a tandem reveal where multiple characters are revealed in a single cinematic like Ken/Inceneroar and Simon/Richter.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Just speaking for myself I think it’s difficult to not trust that this person has legit info due to the fact that for as much as everyone else outside if your server knows this person has had legit information that did pan out. Information that in my eyes makes him more credible than 90% of leakers like Vergeben, IAmShifty, and Brew. If he’s guilty of ****tery in the past the rest of us are clueless on that and we’d just be taking your word for it. Like I don’t see how things like him being young necessarily take away from his having legit information at the end of the day. Has he specifically faked things regarding SSBU before? Did anyone else like the NoA guy hear about the costumes he posted? Because if not then it’s fair to assume the NoA guy and the IGN source may just have different lines of information. And at the same time leakbait could be an issue on either side.
Our NoA person hasn't commented on the mii costumes deal, he has been quiet mostly about anything smash related until the moment he said "no crash no tracer". That's why i said it's neither 100% trustworthy nor 0% (regarding the crash leaker). He has had a background if overhyping stuff and bs-ing in the past when he used to be in our server, but of course it doesnt mean he couldn't have connections that could prove legit. That's why i just concluded this is a wait and see game at this point, i'm willing to put aside the past to take a grain of salt on this whole thing. If anything it would only hurt his credibility if he thinks it would be the next one and doesn't end being the case. Kinda like how it happened with shifty thinking Ryu and then we got Terry. Hell, if we get Ryu now, i wouldn't put aside the fact crash could be later in the future dlc too. I just don't want anyone to 100% bite on this leak, it's not the first time partial information gets to be bs even from trustworthy sources. The one thing i will say tho, our NoA source has stated to sabi many times that he doesnt want to screw him over and thats why he has only given him info and always legit info when he is sure about it. If we get crash in the future, it would only mean he was refering to crash not being the next 5th dlc.

Latyon

Smash Cadet
Pretty much, yeah. Me and my friend were cosplaying two of the characters at a German anime convention and we got recognized before even entering the building. Touhou might be niche but it's not super unknown.
Well, naturally you'd run into people who know who Reimu is at an event celebrating things like Reimu.

That's like saying "I went to a meteorology convention and a lot of the people there knew a thing or two about the weather"

I'm not opposed to Reimu, I just don't think she's as well-known as some people (especially those who frequent gaming forums like us) think she is.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Our NoA person hasn't commented on the mii costumes deal, he has been quiet mostly about anything smash related until the moment he said "no crash no tracer". That's why i said it's neither 100% trustworthy nor 0% (regarding the crash leaker). He has had a background if overhyping stuff and bs-ing in the past when he used to be in our server, but of course it doesnt mean he couldn't have connections that could prove legit. That's why i just concluded this is a wait and see game at this point, i'm willing to put aside the past to take a grain of salt on this whole thing. If anything it would only hurt his credibility if he thinks it would be the next one and doesn't end being the case. Kinda like how it happened with shifty thinking Ryu and then we got Terry. Hell, if we get Ryu now, i wouldn't put aside the fact crash could be later in the future dlc too. I just don't want anyone to 100% bite on this leak, it's not the first time partial information gets to be bs even from trustworthy sources. The one thing i will say tho, our NoA source has stated to sabi many times that he doesnt want to screw him over and thats why he has only given him info and always legit info when he is sure about it. If we get crash in the future, it would only mean he was refering to crash not being the next 5th dlc.
Alright cool thanks for the clarification! It's always interesting to hear about this stuff.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I know that I was upset with how things were going on in this thread, but I just felt a massive surge of Geno support after I watch that Papa Gino's video late last night so I had to check in and it's starting to look like all the naysayers are feeling awful happy right now. I'm not even mad good on you guys.

Just wanted to show you that while I'm out getting some fast food and still celebrating Geno rocking it everywhere I go!

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom