• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Again, I don't get where people are getting the theory that Capcom or Konami are getting a 4th rep at this point. Namco is possible for sure, but the former two are just unlikely given that both already got at least one new character each for the base game.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Also, because I know this group likes to hang onto leads and bird discussions.

Did anyone notice we just got new Pokemon information and yet nothing has to do with birds? What are it's options at this point?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Did anyone notice we just got new Pokemon information and yet nothing has to do with birds? What are it's options at this point?
Technically there is Corviknight, but yeah, no Starly still.

Guess we'll have to see if the Indie World next week has anything to do with source guy at all, but it doesn't seem likely. Failing that, there is the September direct possibility.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
They're fun platformers with a difficulty curve
I get that people have fun, but it's just not for me. I've seen plenty of Let's Play about it and I can't get behind of of the difficult level in Crash 1 were you're walking across a bridge and some of the wood panels are invisible. There's difficult and there's annoyance. I love me some difficulty but I rather fight King Dice in Cuphead then go through those kinds of level in Crash. But that's my opinion.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Smash obviously. We know that Astral Chain has no noteworthy ties to starlings, not even as a play on words. Kirby, Mario, and Zelda already had major titles or updates already done this year. And it's unlikely to be indie based, so Smash is the last major title that could tie into the starling pic and still be "soon" according to the source. My guess is it's in reference to the September Direct.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, if they made sequels to Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, do you think they would keep the main five and add new additions and keep the combat system, or do you think they would add different characters in Mario's party altogether and change the combat system (Paper Mario had common Mario enemies as part of Mario's party while games like Super Paper Mario had Mario, Peach, Luigi and Bowser. And games like Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time had those babies to add to the combat system, and Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team had gimmicks to the combat system, as well as Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Paper Mario: Color Splash)?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Hey guys, if they made sequels to Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, do you think they would keep the main five and add new additions and keep the combat system, or do you think they would add different characters in Mario's party altogether and change the combat system (Paper Mario had common Mario enemies as part of Mario's party while games like Super Paper Mario had Mario, Peach, Luigi and Bowser. And games like Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time had those babies to add to the combat system, and Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team had gimmicks to the combat system, as well as Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Paper Mario: Color Splash)?
I always thought it'd be cool to have an "ultimate" Mario RPG that has the whole Mario RPG cast come back + have Luigi playable + have character from the first Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door. Maybe even ad Prince Peasley from Super Star Saga for a ninth character or some other. Other various locales and villains from Mario RPG history could also show up (along with some new ones so things don't get too familiar.

if that's maybe a bit too ambitious, one thing that could be cool is to make another M&L game that has more playable characters than just Mario and Luigi, similar to Partners time. Instead of baby characters, maybe have the Mario Bros be forced to work with Wario and Waluigi for whatever reason. That could make for an interesting and amusing adventure I bet.

Or, you know, another game where Mario has no partners, and has nothing but toads, toads, and more toads would work as well I guess.........

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I've been lurking on this thread a little while but didn't feel right posting anything because I wasn't that big of a Geno supporter. I didn't really hate him or anything, but I never understood how an "obscure" one-off character gained so much traction compared to other Mario or Square characters I had more personal investment in. It also didn't help that I initially found Super Mario RPG hard to get into as someone who was used to Paper Mario's combat. However, after hearing the perspective of Geno fans and finally giving Super Mario RPG another chance, my opinion of the character has become a lot more positive. He's got a great design, he'd represent my favorite part of the Mario series, and seeing him again would make a ton of people happy

As far as his chances are concerned, I actually think he has a pretty decent chance of happening. I wouldn't call him a lock or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up getting him as a bonus character for people who purchased the Fighter's Pass or something. The Mii Costume being absent seems pretty sus to me, but it could very well mean nothing. Right now, the outcome I'm predicting is Frisk and Jill/Leon for the last two Fighters Pass characters, with Geno as a bonus character. Maybe I'm just being a little too optimistic since I'm jumping on the Geno train a bit late, but I actually don't think his chances are too bad right now

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Shady dude down the street told me Zatch Bell is bigger than Pokemon in my neighborhood

He’s in lads
Hahaha very funny. :glare:

Nintendo doesn't know how to end on a safe solution, let's be real, and... it's nigh impossible to when it comes to Smash anyway. I mean, the last game ended on Corrin and poor Bayonetta. Corrin, I get the salt for, but my wife did not deserve that fate :mad088:
You got that right.

64: :ness64:

Melee: :gawmelee:

Brawl: :wolf:

Smash 4: :4bayonetta:

I mean hey if they at least end it on a certain less exciting, more niche Nintendo character choice I'd like, I'd gladly partake in that hypothetical anticlimax!
Porky would be a character that would be salt inducing for a lot of people but hype as hell for me and the Porky fanbase. :troll:

Again, I don't get where people are getting the theory that Capcom or Konami are getting a 4th rep at this point. Namco is possible for sure, but the former two are just unlikely given that both already got at least one new character each for the base game.
I don't get this either. Both Capcom and Konami already have 3 reps while Namco still only has one. Square-Enix had just one rep with Cloud before Hero was included so when you look at it, it makes more sense to expect another Namco rep than another Capcom, Konami, or Sega rep especially since Namco-Bandai has been helping Nintendo and Sora Ltd make Smash 4 and Ultimate.

Are you asking someone for a source on something that doesnt exist?
No, I'm asking xpnc xpnc for sources of Japanese people and enthusiast that acknowledges if Touhou is popular over there or not.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Excuse me for taking a long time, had to go to bed and had to extensively look at this moveset just to see how all these moves would translate into Super Smash Bros. I apologise if I come off as a bit negative and you don't have to take what I say to heart but these are just my thoughts on your moveset.

General Idea:
Undertale is a game where you get stronger when you fight, but the ultimate goal is to spare everyone and be kind. Thus, the moveset will revolve around getting stronger by doing damage, but being able to spare enemies to get rid of bad karma

Gimmick:
Frisk has a LOVE meter (level of violence) above their percentage.
Whenever frisk deals damage it will fill up the meter proportionally to the damage dealt, and taking a stock will fill the meter by as much as doing 50%.
Taking damage has no effect on the meter, but losing a stock resets the meter to 0%/
The more full the meter is, the more damage/knockback some moves will have. However, the higher your LOVE is, the lower your mobility, and it becomes harder to dodge attacks. However, you can use certain moves to get rid of LOVE and do powerful sparing moves.
What LV do you start at the beginning of the match? If I had to guess, it would be at LV 50 since it's the middle ground between Pacifist and Genocide. However the problem with LV 50 is that Frisk hasn't committed any violence yet and if you're at LV 0, there is no way to gain LV as Frisk in your words is a Pacifist at that point and there is no way for their attacks to gain any LV.

LV being gained from dealing damage makes it too easy to gain LV and from what I've seen, your moveset options are limited to pretty much using Neutral and Down Special if you're trying to become a pacifist and dealing damage will remove all the work you put into removing the LV.

Stats:
Movement-
By default, ground and air speed would be similar to Ness, but with more air acceleration. this would make frisk easy to weave in and out and avoid attacks. They have 1 standard double jump.
However, when LOVE gets higher, air acceleration gets worse, and dash turnaround takes longer, making it easy to keep running in, but punishable if you run away. LOVE also reduces the invulnerability on dodges.
Weight would be average, at about 94. (similar to ness or inkling)
It doesn't seem that there is any long term benefits to being either a Pacifist or a Killer. I feel people will be more inclined to try and stay neutral as possible. Being a Pacifist is too difficult to reach with the limited movesets that lowers your LV. Being a Killer slows down your mobility and dodging which will more or less get annoying to deal with because you will feel as you're being punished for playing the game.

I know you're limiting the movement speed and dodging from Genocide mode to discourage players from going the genocide route but not only does that again punish players for playing the game properly, it also doesn't make sense in the games because there is no reduced movement speed in a genocide run.

Special Moves:
Up B- Bird That Carries You Over A Disproportionately Small Gap
Similar to one of megaman's custom moves in smash 4, a bird will fly to frisk's hands and grab him, flying him straight up, with some variance in exact angle. no hitbox, standard recovery.
if your LOVE is too high, the bird won't want to help, not lifting as much. at 75-99% LOVE, the bird has a chance to not appear at all. at 100% LOVE, the bird will not show up, and this move will be about as good for recovery as Yoshi's up b, forcing you to rely on your double jump for recovery.
This is a move that punishes you for playing Smash Bros properly. No other character limits your options for attacking the opponent and from your idea of LV gained based on damage, it can be too easy to get high LV and then lose because you were playing too good. Couple that with the mobility loss from the Genocide mode effectively makes you worthless at recovering.

The Genocide mode should have a different method of recovering.

Side B- Shank
Frisk will use a knife, differing depending on how full LOVE meter is, and do a very short-range powerful attack that drastically scales with LOVE. this attack has a crumple effect similar to Ryu or Ridley's down b.
-at 0%-25% LOVE, they will use the toy knife, very little damage but enough hitstun to be positive on-hit
-at 26-75% LOVE, they will use the worn dagger, which deals decent damage (20-30%) and enough hitstun for a followup
-at 76%-100% LOVE, they will use the real knife, which can deal up to 50% damage, but not enough hitstun for a true followup (tech chase)
A good move that rewards pacifism, neutral and genocide forms. Not much else to say about it.

Down B- Spare
Frisk will try to hug the enemy, a command grab attack similar to Wario's bite. It can't be shielded.
Using this move, whether it hits or not, will lower your LOVE by 20%, but the more LOVE you have, the longer this move takes. Whiffing this move is likely to get you hit by a smash attack.
Damage dealt by this move will NOT fill up your LOVE meter.
-at 0% LOVE, this move will remove a stock from any opponent above 130%. (similar to some final smashes) Otherwise, it deals around 30% and has very high knockback that may kill before 130% near the ledge.
-at 1%-99% LOVE, it deals damage equal to about half of your LOVE and removes all of it (if it hits)
-at 100% LOVE, should this move actually hit your opponent, you get dunked on and lose a stock. With how slow the move is, your opponent can likely react and get hit on purpose to kill you.
LV 0 seems like a nice reward for being a pacifist with how difficult it is to be one. However being at LV 100 with this move seems pointless because you can lose all of your LV by being KO'd or simply self destructing and there doesn't seem to be any reason to use this move at that point. It's better to just keep at it until you're eventually KO'd. I know where you're going with this but the move should be replaced with something else when your at LV 100 that benefits Genocide mode.

Neutral B- SAVE
If you don't want to risk using spare to get rid of your LOVE, you have another option.
SAVE will fill frisk with determination, and slowly drain their LOVE, Similar to Cloud's down b. Using down b to get rid of LOVE is slightly faster, but this option is much less risky.
However, at 100% LOVE, this move will not reduce your meter. Instead, it will heal you very slowly. This is to make it a lot harder to lose your LOVE if you reach 100%, as you’re forced to use down b.
It seems like Genocide Frisk will act as more of a tank with the movement speed and dodging reduced but could end up being very easy to combo.

Overall I think this moveset is a little too complicated and at a lot of times hinders the player for playing the game normally. I think a good moveset is one that keeps things simple, works with Smash Bros and stays true to the games as much as possible. If something doesn't work or makes things complicated, think of something else that will work better.

The idea of having multiple attacks for all three alignments seems like it would take a lot of work and balancing to have the character ready for Smash. Then again, the pacifist/genocide mechanic of the Undertale games should be a crucial part to staying true to the game the character appears in.

I'll try and come up with a moveset for Frisk and see if I can try and make Frisk work, despite if I think they have no moveset potential. I'll post it to the Frisk thread since I'm deviating well away from Geno with this.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Just popping in for a reminder that like Geno is inevitable.
Don't get too cocky now, people said the same thing about Shadow, right?

And where the hell is the next episode of Christmas Comeback Crisis already it's been like what a year

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Following on what ZelDan ZelDan mentioned in regards to a Mario RPG extended party, I'd like to see the following members in the squad:

-Mario (obviously)
-Luigi (specials more akin to Luigi's Mansion abilities)
-Yoshi (his different special abilities could be related to either his Yoshi's Island attribute Melons, or the Super Mario World Yoshi's)
-Toad (with his Bazooka as main weapon)
-Peach
-Mallow (KING Mallow)
-Geno (maybe... possessing a different doll? Geno Mk-II?!?!)
-Bowser (debatable cause he could also end up being the final boss)
-Vivian
-Kooper (this time, with the ability to dawn different shell types, including winged shells)
-Ms. Mowz (why not?)

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I don't get this either. Both Capcom and Konami already have 3 reps while Namco still only has one. Square-Enix had just one rep with Cloud before Hero was included so when you look at it, it makes more sense to expect another Namco rep than another Capcom, Konami, or Sega rep especially since Namco-Bandai has been helping Nintendo and Sora Ltd make Smash 4 and Ultimate.
I personally don't get this mindset because it just sounds like quota filling for the sake of quota filling. A Bamco character is pretty likely for DLC, but I doubt Sakurai prioritizes balancing representation between companies instead of picking whoever's big enough to sell DLC. I don't think they'll double dip on Sega for the Fighter's Pass, but I still think Capcom is fair game. They got Mega Man for base game and Ryu for DLC in Smash 4, so I doubt anything will stop them from doing that again

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I personally don't get this mindset because it just sounds like quota filling for the sake of quota filling. A Bamco character is pretty likely for DLC, but I doubt Sakurai prioritizes balancing representation between companies instead of picking whoever's big enough to sell DLC. I don't think they'll double dip on Sega for the Fighter's Pass, but I still think Capcom is fair game. They got Mega Man for base game and Ryu for DLC in Smash 4, so I doubt anything will stop them from doing that again
But still, Namco-Bandai has been working with Nintendo and Sora Ltd on the recent two Smash games and they only have Pac-Man. With how involved Namco-Bandai is in Smash, that doesn't make any sense to me that they got one rep in the past two games.

Besides Pac-Man, Namco-Bandai has:

Tekken
Soul Calibur
Tales of Symphony
Dark Souls
Digimon

So they have plenty of popular or iconic franchises and more to work with to put into Smash.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Capcom has so many great franchises and characters that they could add another 3 to the current roster and it wouldn’t even look weird.

I don’t think parity between license holders is a concern as far as who gets in.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
But still, Namco-Bandai has been working with Nintendo and Sora Ltd on the recent two Smash games and they only have Pac-Man. With how involved Namco-Bandai is in Smash, that doesn't make any sense to me that they got one rep in the past two games.

Tekken
Soul Calibur
Tales of Symphony
Dark Souls
Digimon

So they have plenty of popular or iconic franchises and more to work with to put into Smash.
If there is one character I'd like to see from Namco get in the fighters pass, it'd be Klonoa. To me, He's like the Player 2 to Pac-Man. Too bad he's a mummified corpse at this point.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Tekken
Soul Calibur
Tales of Symphony
Dark Souls
Digimon

It’s just Tales Of, FYI. Symphonia is but one entry into the series. There’s also Vesperia, Berseria, Abyss, and more...

There’s also Xenosaga. While created by Monolith which now belongs to Nintendo, Namco still owns Xenosaga and its poster girl, KOS-MOS. and while Xenosaga is basically over (it’s technically a separate series from Xenoblade), KOS-MOS has appeared in a ton of crossovers and even had a guest appearance in Xenoblade 2.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It’s just Tales Of, FYI. Symphonia is but one entry into the series. There’s also Vesperia, Berseria, Abyss, and more...

There’s also Xenosaga. While created by Monolith which now belongs to Nintendo, Namco still owns Xenosaga and its poster girl, KOS-MOS. and while Xenosaga is basically over (it’s technically a separate series from Xenoblade), KOS-MOS has appeared in a ton of crossovers and even had a guest appearance in Xenoblade 2.
I said in quote "So they have plenty of popular or iconic franchises and more to work with to put into Smash." The franchises I listed were Namco's most iconic and best selling franchises so that's why I listed them only. I wasn't counting out Xenosega or anything else.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

Tekken
Soul Calibur
Tales of Symphony
Dark Souls
Digimon

That's fair, Bamco has a lot of cool franchises that I'd love to see eventually. I'm personally just not a fan of the idea that X company should be limited to a certain amount of characters compared to Y. Resident Evil is one of the biggest gaming franchises not represented in Smash yet, so I don't think it's fair to discount Jill or Leon just because they're from Capcom. Capcom has so many great diverse characters that I can't be mad if they end up having the most third party representation

Going off on a tangent, am I the only one who originally thought Mallow was a cloud? Aside from his appearance, most of his abilities are weather related so I thought he was some kind of cloud creature. Idk, I never got the frog thing and thought him being a cloud made more sense. Just something that crossed my mind while replaying the game

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's fair, Bamco has a lot of cool franchises that I'd love to see eventually. I'm personally just not a fan of the idea that X company should be limited to a certain amount of characters compared to Y. Resident Evil is one of the biggest gaming franchises not represented in Smash yet, so I don't think it's fair to discount Jill or Leon just because they're from Capcom. Capcom has so many great diverse characters that I can't be mad if they end up having the most third party representation
I would literally be down with a Super Smash Bros. or Nintendo vs Capcom game that had half of the characters representing Capcom. The company just has that many great characters and franchises.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
A little off topic, but I don't get Sakurai's and NIntendo's mindset about only doing 1 fighters pass because further DLC wouldn't be as lucrative. This was a statement made by him before Joker released, so I'm curious as to how much this perception has changed after seeing the sales for Hero and Joker, on top of the number of fighters passes sold. TBH, I'm in the boat that they'd sell very close to in numbers for a 2nd pass or even a 3rd. Smash isn't something that doesn't really lose popularity over time, and Ultimate is the best iteration of that idea.

Point in case that yea, I'd love to see Geno in the remaining pass or an extra character, but I'd much rather get 2 more fighters passes. Hell, capitalize on the idea of echo fighters. Idk why Daisy, Richter and Dark Samus have the same fighting properties as their counterparts.

At the worst, I'm really hoping we get a few more additional DLC characters. But I do hope he announces that DLC sales went better than expected, so they are doing a 2nd pass. There is actually so much ridiculous potential for this game that has yet to be realized, even though its come amazingly far already.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey guys, I've been lurking on this thread a little while but didn't feel right posting anything because I wasn't that big of a Geno supporter. I didn't really hate him or anything, but I never understood how an "obscure" one-off character gained so much traction compared to other Mario or Square characters I had more personal investment in. It also didn't help that I initially found Super Mario RPG hard to get into as someone who was used to Paper Mario's combat. However, after hearing the perspective of Geno fans and finally giving Super Mario RPG another chance, my opinion of the character has become a lot more positive. He's got a great design, he'd represent my favorite part of the Mario series, and seeing him again would make a ton of people happy

As far as his chances are concerned, I actually think he has a pretty decent chance of happening. I wouldn't call him a lock or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up getting him as a bonus character for people who purchased the Fighter's Pass or something. The Mii Costume being absent seems pretty sus to me, but it could very well mean nothing. Right now, the outcome I'm predicting is Frisk and Jill/Leon for the last two Fighters Pass characters, with Geno as a bonus character. Maybe I'm just being a little too optimistic since I'm jumping on the Geno train a bit late, but I actually don't think his chances are too bad right now
Welcome to the Geno thread... -ish! At least, welcome as a poster and not just a lurker! (Also, Minako pfp? I see you are a woman of fine taste.) It's funny how unique Geno's case is. I was on the side of downright hating him and not getting why people cared for him, and now, well... I don't think I could possibly love my star boy more. He's such a good boy. Cherish him.

Going off on a tangent, am I the only one who originally thought Mallow was a cloud? Aside from his appearance, most of his abilities are weather related so I thought he was some kind of cloud creature. Idk, I never got the frog thing and thought him being a cloud made more sense. Just something that crossed my mind while replaying the game
That said, I think that's supposed to be the whole joke. The disparity between the 'obvious' answer the player sees and the 'surprise' of Mallow not being a tadpole is hilarious, and I can tell they played it up for funnies. I love it.

-

Totally unrelated to all of these, but my pal Matt2 posted something that is extremely important for me to share, given that it involves Geno and birds, even if not entirely the water fowl kind. There is a duck, though! One duck!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A little off topic, but I don't get Sakurai's and NIntendo's mindset about only doing 1 fighters pass because further DLC wouldn't be as lucrative. This was a statement made by him before Joker released, so I'm curious as to how much this perception has changed after seeing the sales for Hero and Joker, on top of the number of fighters passes sold. TBH, I'm in the boat that they'd sell very close to in numbers for a 2nd pass or even a 3rd. Smash isn't something that doesn't really lose popularity over time, and Ultimate is the best iteration of that idea.

Point in case that yea, I'd love to see Geno in the remaining pass or an extra character, but I'd much rather get 2 more fighters passes. Hell, capitalize on the idea of echo fighters. Idk why Daisy, Richter and Dark Samus have the same fighting properties as their counterparts.

At the worst, I'm really hoping we get a few more additional DLC characters. But I do hope he announces that DLC sales went better than expected, so they are doing a 2nd pass. There is actually so much ridiculous potential for this game that has yet to be realized, even though its come amazingly far already.
At this stage, the only way to find out is when February rolls around, that seems to be the extreme deadline for the FP's completion. In any case, it's guaranteed that :ultbanjokazooie: alone have to had drawn in a massive amount of dosh from pre-orders, never mind :ultjoker:. Even if the fifth character is :ultcorrinf: levels of reception, it would barely put even a dent into the goodwill brought up by the preceding characters.

That being said, I still find it strange that Bamco hasn't budged in regards of any of their characters. Will :ultpacman: be forever alone?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At this stage, the only way to find out is when February rolls around, that seems to be the extreme deadline for the FP's completion. In any case, it's guaranteed that :ultbanjokazooie: alone have to had drawn in a massive amount of dosh from pre-orders, never mind :ultjoker:. Even if the fifth character is :ultcorrinf: levels of reception, it would barely put even a dent into the goodwill brought up by the preceding characters.

That being said, I still find it strange that Bamco hasn't budged in regards of any of their characters. Will :ultpacman: be forever alone?
I'm sure :ulthero: was the pass money magnet for Japan too

but yeah, I think Bamco should have a second rep at this point now that Square has a second one too. and in the following essay I will explain why KOS-MOS is the ideal choice...

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I'm sure :ulthero: was the pass money magnet for Japan too

but yeah, I think Bamco should have a second rep at this point now that Square has a second one too. and in the following essay I will explain why KOS-MOS is the ideal choice...

Agreed. I feel like the perception for Nintendo on DLC should have changed with Smash. It's a little different from Mario Kart or Zelda tbh, and the idea is more about character representation over anything else. More passes mean more odd combinations for us to play with. I do sincerely hope there is a plan. I won't exactly be disappointed, its just a wasted opportunity because its one of the few games in history were fans actually WANT years worth of DLC over a sequel lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The thing is that at least half the fans act like a kid not wanting their dad to hurt themselves, and demand for Sakurai to rest as soon as possible, even though overworking is commonplace in Japan.

In any case, the future isn't written in stone, no matter how hard any people here try to use their crystal 8-balls. So far we've had Nintendo break a few of their old habits recently (last month they've not only announced news on a weekend, but revealed them on the last week of the month, no less, and now we're getting a Nindies the second-to-last week of this August rather than last like the previous years), so it's only a matter of time before we know if they'll break habit for Smash as well. And yes, crystal 8-balls do actually exist.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm still betting that the September Direct will happen no later than the 12th of next month, going by the last two years.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I hope that the 16 WOL slots means 10 more DLC characters after the fighters pass. If Sakurai wanted to rest, he would have done so but he hasn't. Smash Ultimate was his decision to make and he decided to bring everyone back so I'm betting he enjoys making the game and playing it just as much as we do. He'll rest when he wants to.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Ok, I'm sure this'll sound dumb but I believe I possibly figured it out.

Fighter's Pass = Probably All 3rd Party

That sounds incredibly dumb out loud because "oh, we knew that" or "there's no proof" but hear me out.

Some people have said that there are no similarities between the Smash 4 and Ultimate's DLC lineup. Well, I think there is. Compare these together and tell me what you get.
:ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultlucas::ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta:
:ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie: (FP4) (FP5)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I hope that the 16 WOL slots means 10 more DLC characters after the fighters pass. If Sakurai wanted to rest, he would have done so but he hasn't. Smash Ultimate was his decision to make and he decided to bring everyone back so I'm betting he enjoys making the game and playing it just as much as we do. He'll rest when he wants to.
Yeah, and even if he doesn't particularly enjoy decisions done without his involvement (e.g. DLC approval), he'll turn the other cheek as long as he can make as many people as happy as humanly possible before stopping.

Besides, he did state his amazement in regards to what other game creators do for their DLC, so it'd be fair to try and keep up with them.

Fighter's Pass = All 3rd Party

That sounds incredibly dumb out loud because "oh, we knew that" but hear me out.

Some people have said that there are no similarities between the Smash 4 and Ultimate's DLC lineup. Well, I think there is. Compare these together and tell me what you get.
It's severely lopsided though. For this to be more similar, there would need to be one first-party character in one of the next two spots.

Also, I find it hard to believe that Nintendo wouldn't cut down for the fourth or fifth spot, since some of these negotiations are very expensive, never mind the need for more CGI intros.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Another reason that there may be additional fighters passes is the possibility that Ultimate may represent the last Smash Bros game before a major reboot. If that is the case, then I think Nintendo and Sakurai will try to squeeze as many characters as they can into the roster because we may never see this many characters in a Smash game again.

Even if Geno makes it into this fighters pass or as a bonus character shortly after, I'm always down for more characters. The mystery, the anticipation, and finally being able to enjoy new characters and playstyles has always been part of the joy of Smash Bros. Wouldn't it be amazing if Geno makes it in and we have a full speculation cycle without having to worry about his chances?

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I'll say like any kind of job you do you still got to do it. Yeah you can get a break or a vacation, but it's not like you can just ditch work for like an extend period of time. This is Sakurai's job and just like any other job you got to work. I can see after the Fighters Pass is finished up there's a little break and get started back up, Sakurai got to work regardless so might as well focus on Smash Bros since that title has longevity for the Switch and Hype Cycle of Nintendo Directs.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
It's severely lopsided though. For this to be more similar, there would need to be one first-party character in one of the next two spots.
And here is where I show you the reason I brought this up because I knew that would be how at least one person would have saw it.

I'm going to organize them in a different order. Now tell me what you see.

:ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultlucas::ultcorrin::ultpiranha:

:ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:

What do these characters have in common with one another?

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Fighter's Pass = Probably All 3rd Party

That sounds incredibly dumb out loud because "oh, we knew that" or "there's no proof" but hear me out.

It's not dumb because there are barely any first party characters left to include in Smash Bros. All the ones that people have been really wanted for years are either Assist Trophies and/or Mii Costumes. I hold the belief that if a character is a Spirit then that means they won't be playable since the DLC characters were decided during development, so if they chose a character to be a Spirit that means there wasn't any plans for them to be playable.

The only Nintendo characters that left are Porky & Sylux. Porky support just came out about recently because he's the only character that didn't have a Spirit (but I feel like he's probably going to come back in a Boss Rush Mode) so I don't see that character ever going to happen. Sylux is such an unknown character within the universe of Smash Bros, barely anyone knows what's his deal and it seems like he'll be fleshed out in Metroid Prime 4 as the main villain. I think Sylux should be hold back until Metroid Prime 4 is released and we can actually learn about this character before he's in Smash Bros. Fire Emblem Three Houses & Pokemon Sw/Sh ain't happening seeing how Rex & ARMS were too new to be included and looks to be excluded from the DLC.

There's no one left for Nintendo & Sakurai to use, so it's going to be just Third Party characters for this Fighters Pass.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
I'll say like any kind of job you do you still got to do it. Yeah you can get a break or a vacation, but it's not like you can just ditch work for like an extend period of time. This is Sakurai's job and just like any other job you got to work. I can see after the Fighters Pass is finished up there's a little break and get started back up, Sakurai got to work regardless so might as well focus on Smash Bros since that title has longevity for the Switch and Hype Cycle of Nintendo Directs.
I agree with this, I don't know why people don't understand that Sakurai can take a break in between DLC seasons. Every other company has their teams go on break in between DLC seasons, at least when fighting games are involved. Sakurai even stated that he took a break after Ultimate was finished and worked on DLC afterwards so we already know that he can take a break in between content development.

Everyone treats this season pass as the be all end all DLC. They view it as "If Sakurai takes a break after FP1 then he is done with DLC for this game" when that isn't the case. He can, as I stated above, just take a break after FP1 has concluded and then start negotiations and development for FP2 after his break.

I'm not saying Sakurai doesn't deserve a break, he does, I'm just saying that I dislike how every argument for future DLC just gets shot down by people saying "He will take a break and be finished with DLC because of said break" when that is completely wrong.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
There's no one left for Nintendo & Sakurai to use, so it's going to be just Third Party characters for this Fighters Pass.
EXACTLY. However, I think you're missing the bigger picture. That isn't the reason we can't have first party reps in the Fighter's Pass. Look at the post right above your response and tell me what you see.

I'm dead serious. If anybody can tell me the similarities I'm looking at, I'll give you mad props for seeing past certain aspects. I'm surprised it took me this long to notice the pattern.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wrt Sakurai needing a rest:

1. Ultimate development isn’t as intensive as 4’s was. Reason being Sakurai isn’t working on TWO VERSIONS on two different systems. He had to make sure everything worked back then too.
2. I think this E3, Nintendo announced it would abolish crunch time for ALL its employees. Sakurai included. It’s probably why Hero took so long to release, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom