• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Not sure why people seem to think we're out of first party characters to add to smash. If you count spirits as a full-on disconfirmation (which you shouldn't) then we STILL have characters who could get in smash. I personally don't count assist trophies as viable options (if it did happen, it would only be once IMO) but even still I could name at least 20 1st parties that would be perfect for Smash. I don't think the fighter pass will have any, but considering how likely a second (and third) pass is, after this first pass 1st parties are back on the table.

If you don't believe me,
not including assist trophies
1. Dixie Kong
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Karate Joe (or any Rhythm Heaven character)
4. Another form of Mii Fighter (Mii Spellcaster?)
5. Andy/Sami from Advance Wars
6. Grookey's Final Evo/Sceptile/Decidueye since we don't have a grass type
7. Literally any other pokemon tbh?
8. Octolings
9. Urbosa/Revali/Daruk/Mipha
10. Beast Ganon
11. Pauline
12. Mach Rider
13. Any F-Zero rep
14. Elma (Xenoblade X)
15. Funky Kong
16. I don't want it to happen but literally any fire emblem character
17. King Hippo/Mr. Sandman
18. Kamek (Yoshi's Island Villain)
19. Ashley/Mona/Jimmy T./WarioWare Rep
20. Medusa/Viridi/Hades/Kid Icarus Rep
>6. Grookey's Final Evo/Sceptile/Decidueye since we don't have a grass type
Can I just say, I absolutely hate people who push for grass-type starters. Whenever they're asked why they want a grass-type starter for Smash every one of them, without exception, will mention ThE pAtTeRn. "Oh, we need a grass-type starter to balance out the trio with Greninja and Charizard/Incineroar!" They spend an entire speculation cycle championing a grass-type starter--wait, scratch that, they don't just push for ONE grass-type starter, they push for ALL of them, ANY of them, whichever one they think has the best chance or is the most recent. During Smash 4 it was Sceptile (OrAs was big at the time), in the run-up to Smash Ultimate it was Decidueye (who to it's credit almost got in), and now that the Gen 8 games are fumbling their way out of GameFreak's basement, these people are now championing for Grookey's final evolution. We don't even know what Grookey's final evolution even looks like and these dilweeds are throwing their support behind it.

And that's what I hate most about these people and their dumb-as-dirt sloganeering, they have no loyalty. Say what you want about Sorabros, say that their spikey-haired yaoi bait has no chance because Squeenix is hard to work with, but at least they're adamant about their character choice. Grass-type starter people are the unfaithful spouses of Smash speculation. They don't give a **** about Sceptile or Decidueye as characters, they just want to satiate their ADD, to complete tHe PaTtErN.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
You're being incredibly pessimistic. Geno has been shafted more times than Bandana Dee, hasn't he? Now that we're getting characters that fans want because of the Smash Ballot, including Banjo Kazooie... and you think there's no chance of any of these? I mean if we were only getting the fighter pass and nothing else I could maybe understand, but that's just depressing.
The problem is that most of the character you mentioned don't even qualify through fan requests. Just look at this Souce Gaming poll:
It may not be the best expositor (more so since Banjo and Hero are already in), but just look at the amount of Nintendo characters that made it into the top 50. Less than twenty. And to top it all off, you have characters like Dante and Doomguy at high spots while the likes of Ashley are on the lower ranks.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Seems nobody has gotten it yet so take a look at my reasoning as to why the Fighter's Pass has to be all third party.

Here's what conclusion I came to:
Third Party gets royalties, First Party gets fighters.

First Party: :ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultlucas::ultcorrin::ultpiranha:
Notice how these guys all came with just themselves, trophies (fighter spirit in PP's place), and almost nothing else. No stage, no music (except Corrin), etc. That's because their series already have a ton of representation and it wouldn't make much sense to release more content with their characters than they'd need to to make a profit off them when their series already have so much in the game.

Third Party: :ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:
All of these characters came with a stage, music, trophies/spirits, Mii costumes, and so much more. Nintendo is treating their third party guests with respect by giving them stuff to write home about. Notice how the Fighter's Pass is almost built specifically for third party reps with this logic in mind.

The Fighter's Pass will most likely be all third party not because of first party usage and spirits but because it's only fair for those characters to get that representation value while the first party characters can appear as individual DLC without having to have a ton of additional work. To clarify: that does not mean we can't get first party reps after the Fighter's Pass or during it, as this is just a logical hypothesis.

[Bonus] Geno could count as either one of the two, to be honest.

Also, I would love if somebody could share this concept with more people. It has some pretty solid evidence going for it, I think. Need a video topic, @papagenos ?
Would this apply to say, straight up brand new 1st party franchises to playability in Smash like Rhythm Paradise? Those would be totally justified in coming with a new stage and music and what not.
Yeah it was legitimately surprising the Shadow wasn't playable, especially once Vergeben said Ken was going to be in the game.

I did hear that one of the reasons they took so long to have Shadow in the Sonic Boom show was that Sega has a billion different restrictions on what can and cannot be done with the character. He can't be made fun of, he can't be portrayed as goofy, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he can't "lose" to Sonic--the two are meant to be evenly matched. Maybe Smash faced the same problems and couldn't come to a reasonable outcome with Sega, which is why his AT was shown so late into the game's development.
IDK, he was totally made fun of in LEGO Dimensions, wanting to pick flowers as to honour Maria or something.
Not to mention, Sega was kinda leniant in that they had Knuckles home attack in his AT, despite, what, only doing that in Sonic Heroes?
I honestly believe that the Fighter Pass is going to be only third parties at this point. There's only two left and so far they have been characters from outsider companies.

If there's an extra character then maybe but I don't think we will get a first party character in the FP.

:bowser:.
It's hard for me to imagine first party characters, especially more obscure ones, getting a spot on the Fighter's Pass when the first three have gone to stars from multi-million-selling third party franchises. There's plenty of untapped potential in Nintendo's own IPs, to be sure, but it's the big collaborations with other companies that get people outside of the Smash sphere talking. All of the really obvious first party picks, including the ostensibly disconfirmed ones, strike me as being more well-suited to the base game.

I also highly doubt a second pass is happening.
Y'all are forgetting the fairly trustworthy pattern we have of ending Smash reveal periods with a less hype, maybe more obscure character (Olimar, Shulk, Incineroar). And how Smash 4 DLC went from Ryu and freaking Cloud Strife (just one hype third party less than Ultimate's current DLC) straight to some promotional first party pick of an existing franchise like no one's business. Of course, just doing third parties all the way is totally possible for Nintendo to have picked. But if there is such a "humble" first party character in the Pass (maybe Nintendo were all like "you know, it'd be nice to have one damn character of our own in this pass, another one of our franchises newly represented for a fighter in this game other than Splatoon"), it'd make sense for them to appear after Joker and freaking Banjo-Kazooie, if anything. The package deal the pass offers could allow for some somewhat nicher character to weasel their way in along for the ride, though maybe that already could have been the case for Dragon Quest that's nicher in the West, and Banjo who hasn't had a game in over a decade.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Can I just say, I absolutely hate people who push for grass-type starters. Whenever they're asked why they want a grass-type starter for Smash every one of them, without exception, will mention ThE pAtTeRn. "Oh, we need a grass-type starter to balance out the trio with Greninja and Charizard/Incineroar!" They spend an entire speculation cycle championing a grass-type starter--wait, scratch that, they don't just push for ONE grass-type starter, they push for ALL of them, ANY of them, whichever one they think has the best chance or is the most recent. During Smash 4 it was Sceptile (OrAs was big at the time), in the run-up to Smash Ultimate it was Decidueye (who to it's credit almost got in), and now that the Gen 8 games are fumbling their way out of GameFreak's basement, these people are now championing for Grookey's final evolution. We don't even know what Grookey's final evolution even looks like and these dilweeds are throwing their support behind it.

And that's what I hate most about these people and their dumb-as-dirt sloganeering, they have no loyalty. Say what you want about Sorabros, say that their spikey-haired yaoi bait has no chance because Squeenix is hard to work with, but at least they're adamant about their character choice. Grass-type starter people are the unfaithful spouses of Smash speculation. They don't give a **** about Sceptile or Decidueye as characters, they just want to satiate their ADD, to complete tHe PaTtErN.
People can like what they like and support what they want to, but... I kinda have to agree. I will say that I thought Decidueye would be a great addition, but I thought so solely on its own merits as a fighter. Primarina is my favorite Alolan starter and all, but she would not work for Smash at all. Decidueye is my second favorite and would have honestly been freaking cool to see. I don't support any other grass starters, though, and that includes the fan-favorite Sceptile. I just never saw the point of supporting a character just to fill a quota.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as Pokémon goes these days, I just see who's the latest starters and hope the one that catches my attention gets in, it's already a bit much to expect any random fan-demanded Pokémon to be picked. I got lucky enough this time.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

Yikes. It has nothing to do with the pattern for me, I just want a grass type starter to be playable. Sceptile was my favorite pokemon of all time, and I supported him (even voted for him in the Smash ballot) during Smash 4 because he was my favorite. Decidueye, now that he exists, is my favorite pokemon. The reason I (and others) say Grookey's final evolution now is because we feel like the other two have no chance anymore. I mean I still would LOVE Sceptile or Decidueye far more than literally any other Pokemon rep, but at this point I just want a grass type starter, not because of "muh pattern," but because I always pick the grass type in Pokemon games. Grass type always gets the shaft. Always. I'm not happy about it, obviously. I just want a grass type in because I ****ing love grass types.

Also I believe you were looking for OCD, not ADD.

The problem is that most of the character you mentioned don't even qualify through fan requests. Just look at this Souce Gaming poll:
It may not be the best expositor (more so since Banjo and Hero are already in), but just look at the amount of Nintendo characters that made it into the top 50. Less than twenty. And to top it all off, you have characters like Dante and Doomguy at high spots while the likes of Ashley are on the lower ranks.
>A poll with less than 3000 participants, conducted by a small youtuber who has a fanbase particularly biased towards speculation and thus characters that are already speculated to be in.

Yeah I don't know if I'd put my life savings on this one poll.

Also Bandana Dee is STILL #2 don't even get at me

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yikes. It has nothing to do with the pattern for me, I just want a grass type starter to be playable. Sceptile was my favorite pokemon of all time, and I supported him (even voted for him in the Smash ballot) during Smash 4 because he was my favorite. Decidueye, now that he exists, is my favorite pokemon. The reason I (and others) say Grookey's final evolution now is because we feel like the other two have no chance anymore. I mean I still would LOVE Sceptile or Decidueye far more than literally any other Pokemon rep, but at this point I just want a grass type starter, not because of "muh pattern," but because I always pick the grass type in Pokemon games. Grass type always gets the shaft. Always. I'm not happy about it, obviously. I just want a grass type in because I ****ing love grass types.

I was about to say that, in terms of a Pokemon typing I want to see in Smash, I would have loved to see a fairy-type Pokemon... only to remember that Jigglypuff has retroactively become a fairy-type now.

That was the fastest fulfilled Smash request I've ever had! 'Eyyyy!

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I was about to say that, in terms of a Pokemon typing I want to see in Smash, I would have loved to see a fairy-type Pokemon... only to remember that Jigglypuff has retroactively become a fairy-type now.

That was the fastest fulfilled Smash request I've ever had! 'Eyyyy!
The only types we don't have in Smash are...

Bug, Rock, Ground, Ghost, and Ice.

The lack of ghost types playable in Smash is pretty upsetting actually. This is why we gotta put in Decidueye-

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The only types we don't have in Smash are...

Bug, Rock, Ground, Ghost, and Ice.

The lack of ghost types playable in Smash is pretty upsetting actually. This is why we gotta put in Decidueye-
I was hoping for Mimikyu myself since it's one of my favorite Pokemon, period. Would have introduced Ghost types to Smash as well as being another Fairy, and you can never have too many Fairies.

Guess I might have a thing for possessed dolls/childhood toys being brought to life. :p

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Buzzwole should have been the Pokemon rep because Sakurai wanted a pro wrestling fighter. He could of had it use most of Incineroar's moves with different effects.

Down Special: Beast Energy- similar to Incineroar's counter; just has Buzzwole flair with Beast Boost and flex

Side Special: Lunge- Rather than throwing the enemy into a ring and bouncing them off it, Buzzwole dashes forward and punches, while timing it correctly deals more damage.

Up Special: Comet Punch- Buzzwole flies upwards before flying down like a comet and punching the ground with explosive force at the same angle as Incineroar's

Neutral Special: Hammer Arm- Spins in a circle, punching everything around it.

Final Smash: All-Out Pummeling- Buzzwole dashes forward before uppercutting opponents into the air where they land in an large area where Buzzwole dashes around punching them before throwing one last massive punch.

I feel like Buzzwole would've been received better than Incineroar because of a few reasons.

1) He looks way more unique than Incineroar
2) New types Bug and Fighting would be in Smash
3) It would have represented a new species that is in Pokemon that isn't a Pokemon and would represent the theme of Sun and Moon substantially better than toss-away Incineroar

Heck, he could be an echo fighter. Just make him faster and change his recovery to work like R.O.B.'s where he uses his wings to fly instead of my Comet Punch idea.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This is right.

I don’t have a second Switch and no one else in my family has one, so I can’t trade with myself or them. I guess I could just ask around online once the new games come out...
I mean, if you want someone to use for a trade evo I’d be happy to help out. I do this sort of thing a lot.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Honestly say what you will about your Waluigis and Isaacs. but Mimikyu being deconfirmed was the biggest heartbreak for me during the base game hype cycle. It was my personal favorite from Sun & Moon and it would've been so cool to have a Ghost type on the roster, but some things are just not meant to be...

Also, I recently completed the Forest Maze on my Mario RPG playthrough, and god is it weird to hear Bruce Lee casually namedropped in a Mario game. Bruce Lee canonically existing in the Mario universe was not the kind of lore I expected from this game, but I'm so glad it exists
AFE91F93-8CEA-42FC-94C2-BBA057C9A51F.jpeg

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice

>A poll with less than 3000 participants, conducted by a small youtuber who has a fanbase particularly biased towards speculation and thus characters that are already speculated to be in.

Yeah I don't know if I'd put my life savings on this one poll.

Also Bandana Dee is STILL #2 don't even get at me
As someone who almost always goes for the grass starter, I can relate. Describing it I would say it's less to fulfill a quota and more of being a supporter for a collective group of characters like how a sports fan cheers for a whole team rather than an individual.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, I recently completed the Forest Maze on my Mario RPG playthrough, and god is it weird to hear Bruce Lee casually namedropped in a Mario game. Bruce Lee canonically existing in the Mario universe was not the kind of lore I expected from this game, but I'm so glad it exists
The wonders of localization. No idea what the original context in the JP version was, but it's funny nonetheless.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

I so agree with this when it comes to Grookey. Nobody knows what it's going to look like, nobody knows what any of the Gen 8 Pokemon are going to be like so I have no idea why anyone is supporting a character they know nothing about.

I will say I want Decidueye because it does have a great design and it's archery style would make it unique of a Fighter. It was a complete waste to make Incineroar the Pokemon Rep, Sakurai missed the mark completely. Decidueye was a clear winner and would've provided a better moveset potential than Incineroar, and now Decidueye will never see the light of day in Smash Bros.

Sakurai got lucky choose Greninja early for Smash 4, was really hit and miss with Incineroar for Ultimate, there's no telling if lightning will strike twice with the same mentality on picking Pokemon again.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I so agree with this when it comes to Grookey. Nobody knows what it's going to look like, nobody knows what any of the Gen 8 Pokemon are going to be like so I have no idea why anyone is supporting a character they know nothing about.

I will say I want Decidueye because it does have a great design and it's archery style would make it unique of a Fighter. It was a complete waste to make Incineroar the Pokemon Rep, Sakurai missed the mark completely. Decidueye was a clear winner and would've provided a better moveset potential than Incineroar, and now Decidueye will never see the light of day in Smash Bros.

Sakurai got lucky choose Greninja early for Smash 4, was really hit and miss with Incineroar for Ultimate, there's no telling if lightning will strike twice with the same mentality on picking Pokemon again.
I might just be biased based on which Pokemon I like more design-wise, but IMO, Delphox would have had a way cooler moveset than Greninja, and while I love Decidueye a lot more than Incineroar, I didn't know how much I needed a grappler in Smash until I got one lol. Decidueye would've been awesome with a moveset based around lots of different ways to fire arrows or using leaf blade and such, but as far as cool and unique movesets go, Incineroar is definitely better than Decidueye.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Actually, there's a decent idea of what Grookey's last evolution looks like, as this /v/ leak from May tells:
Sadly, Fireden removed all /v/ and /a/ content from its site for unknown reasons, but there's a lot of talk to prove that this thing existed in May.

EDIT: Found another archive and the post with it: https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/463209182/#463209182

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I might just be biased based on which Pokemon I like more design-wise, but IMO, Delphox would have had a way cooler moveset than Greninja, and while I love Decidueye a lot more than Incineroar, I didn't know how much I needed a grappler in Smash until I got one lol. Decidueye would've been awesome with a moveset based around lots of different ways to fire arrows or using leaf blade and such, but as far as cool and unique movesets go, Incineroar is definitely better than Decidueye.
There's to Decidueye than just him firing a bow. You also need to take into account the grass and ghost type moves he can perform. Look at Pokken, I will say the Decidueye in Pokken looks way better than Smash Bros Incineroar. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9VJZcs_lswI

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
There's to Decidueye than just him firing a bow. You also need to take into account the grass and ghost type moves he can perform. Look at Pokken, I will say the Decidueye in Pokken looks way better than Smash Bros Incineroar. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9VJZcs_lswI
As far as how cool it looks, Decidueye is definitely way better than Incineroar. Don't get me wrong, Decidueye is my favorite Pokemon after all. I'm just talking about how their movesets would function in Smash.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Actually, there's a decent idea of what Grookey's last evolution looks like, as this /v/ leak from May tells:
Sadly, Fireden removed all /v/ and /a/ content from its site for unknown reasons, but there's a lot of talk to prove that this thing existed in May.

EDIT: Found another archive and the post with it: https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/463209182/#463209182
So Grookey evolves into Donkey Konga

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Fans didn't ask for a DK character, they asked for King K. Rool. Fans didn't ask for a 90's mascot character, they asked for Banjo. And folks in this thread aren't asking for a Mario character, we're asking for Geno. I understand wanting a grass-type starter in general, but focusing your desires, your hype, on that concept alone will lead you nowhere, because there's not much to really focus on. It's like someone asks you what you want to eat and you just say "Food!". Don't ask for food, ask for an omelette! Don't ask for a grass-type starter, ask for Decidueye!!
Or just play more Ivysaur. :ultivysaur:
Good point, but then again ADD would still apply given how they don't focus on one grass starter for long. :ultpacman:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
So Grookey evolves into Donkey Konga
Aye. In fact, I hesitate the idea of another pokémon simply because these gen's starters evolve into fighters that just clash with Smash characters (Grookey becoming Donkey Kong, Scorbunny into Incineroar and Sobble into Snake).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's like someone asks you what you want to eat and you just say "Food!". Don't ask for food, ask for an omelette!
If you're starved for food, asking for "food" is a perfectly valid option.

There's nothing wrong with being interested in a general concept and supporting multiple characters that will fulfill that concept. Focusing on a single character can be productive for the purposes of creating movements, but if the goal isn't campaigning for change, but rather expressing camaraderie in a shared, broad interest, then it's not necessary.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

There's nothing wrong with being interested in a general concept and supporting multiple characters that will fulfill that concept. Focusing on a single character can be productive for the purposes of creating movements, but if the goal isn't campaigning for change, but rather expressing camaraderie in a shared, broad interest, then it's not necessary.
Is it bad that Incineroar made me want a Rhythm Heaven character based on his Side B's pseudo-rhythm mechanic?
I don't care who it is in particular, but if all their moves (or at least many) were based on timing like Incineroar's Side-B, I'd love to play that playstyle rather than any particular Rhythm Heaven character.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

To add to this, there are a number of at least semi popular requests that are just a general idea and not a specific character. A Rythm Heaven rep. A Custom Robo character. More F-Zero or Mother representation. It's not unique to grass starters.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Fans didn't ask for a DK character, they asked for King K. Rool. Fans didn't ask for a 90's mascot character, they asked for Banjo. And folks in this thread aren't asking for a Mario character, we're asking for Geno. I understand wanting a grass-type starter in general, but focusing your desires, your hype, on that concept alone will lead you nowhere, because there's not much to really focus on. It's like someone asks you what you want to eat and you just say "Food!". Don't ask for food, ask for an omelette! Don't ask for a grass-type starter, ask for Decidueye!!
Or just play more Ivysaur.:ultivysaur:

Good point, but then again ADD would still apply given how they don't focus on one grass starter for long. :ultpacman:
I don't know if I agree with this sentiment at all. Ben Holt Ben Holt mentioned Rhythm Heaven, and that's pretty much the same case for me. Sure, I want Rhythm Girl or Karate Joe above all else, but getting ANY rep for one of my favorite franchises would make me so happy that I don't care who it is. It's the same case here, really. For certain characters you CAN'T just back one, because there's not one clear answer. Rhythm Heaven has no real main character, and there's no "quintessential grass starter." I screamed and hollered for Sceptile, I screamed and hollered for Decidueye, and I still do for both of them. I just don't do it as much because it does seem realistic anymore.

I would love to be proven wrong and see Sceptile get in, though.

Ivysaur is great and PT is my main but she just doesn't feel satisfying enough when she's lumped in with two more.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Is it bad that Incineroar made me want a Rhythm Heaven character based on his Side B's pseudo-rhythm mechanic?
I don't care who it is in particular, but if all their moves (or at least many) were based on timing like Incineroar's Side-B, I'd love to play that playstyle rather than any particular Rhythm Heaven character.
Funny you mention that, because I was actually just thinking about how a mechanic like that might work for Geno. Timed attacks are such an integral part of the Mario RPGs that it'd be kinda weird if they didn't work them in somehow for the Mario RPG rep. Maybe not base his entire moveset around it, but maybe have his specials or something be timing based

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I don't know if I agree with this sentiment at all. Ben Holt Ben Holt mentioned Rhythm Heaven, and that's pretty much the same case for me. Sure, I want Rhythm Girl or Karate Joe above all else, but getting ANY rep for one of my favorite franchises would make me so happy that I don't care who it is. It's the same case here, really. For certain characters you CAN'T just back one, because there's not one clear answer. Rhythm Heaven has no real main character, and there's no "quintessential grass starter." I screamed and hollered for Sceptile, I screamed and hollered for Decidueye, and I still do for both of them. I just don't do it as much because it does seem realistic anymore.

I would love to be proven wrong and see Sceptile get in, though.

Ivysaur is great and PT is my main but she just doesn't feel satisfying enough when she's lumped in with two more.
My problem with Sceptile is that he's not very popular as a Pokémon except for filling the Grass type quota.
Blaziken is a more popular Gen 3 starter, and Grovyle is more popular among the fanbase due to his character in Mystery Dungeon.

Serperior is the *ahem* superior choice, as it's the actual favorite starter of Gen 5, plus if you thought Smash lacked quadrupedal fighters (only Ivysaur and Duck Hunt plus MAYBE Spyro down the line), then Smash REALLY lacks a serpentine fighter, which Serperior fits nicely.
And before anyone asks, YES, snakes can jump.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Missingno > every other pokemon

Seriously though it would be cool if they added Missingno as a pokeball pokemon or atleast as a trophy/spirit/whatever collectible the next smash has. probably one of the weirder/cooler things to happen to pokemon (from my more limited experience of the series anyways)

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
This is right.

I don’t have a second Switch and no one else in my family has one, so I can’t trade with myself or them. I guess I could just ask around online once the new games come out...
Someone else mentioned above that they're willing to help, but yeah I also have most Pokemon games and a living dex so I have no interest in scamming people out of Pokemon if anything I'd be happy to add to others' if I am able. So I can certainly also help with trade evos and such if people need it. Not that this is really the place to be discussing this, but we do all tend to get off topic often.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
My problem with Sceptile is that he's not very popular as a Pokémon except for filling the Grass type quota.
Blaziken is a more popular Gen 3 starter, and Grovyle is more popular among the fanbase due to his character in Mystery Dungeon.

Serperior is the *ahem* superior choice, as it's the actual favorite starter of Gen 5, plus if you thought Smash lacked quadrupedal fighters (only Ivysaur and Duck Hunt plus MAYBE Spyro down the line), then Smash REALLY lacks a serpentine fighter, which Serperior fits nicely.
And before anyone asks, YES, snakes can jump.
I beg to differ. Sceptile is popular enough to have been top 10-20 on a lot of polls back in the Smash Ballot era. Not to mention, playable in Pokken, Ash had one in the anime, etc. Sceptile is arguably more popular than Blaziken, depending on who you ask.

As much as I liked the Gen 5 games, I wasn't really a huge fan of any of the starters... Obviously Serperior is the best because grass is always the best, but they were all kinda meh for me.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I beg to differ. Sceptile is popular enough to have been top 10-20 on a lot of polls back in the Smash Ballot era. Not to mention, playable in Pokken, Ash had one in the anime, etc. Sceptile is arguably more popular than Blaziken, depending on who you ask.

As much as I liked the Gen 5 games, I wasn't really a huge fan of any of the starters... Obviously Serperior is the best because grass is always the best, but they were all kinda meh for me.
actually serperior is always the best period and this is fact and cannot be denied :happysheep:

I actually default to Water starters myself as it's one of my favorite types, but Serperior is the universal exception.

Also I agree that Sceptile is really popular as a mon in general and not strictly within the context of Smash. People love it.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597

There is a lot of flaws in this logic, a smash poll is not relevant to determine the most popular POKÉMON.

Blaziken was literally the first playable Pokemon revealed for Pokken.

Ash had one, but it wasn't even his main pokemon (for obvious reasons it was Pikachu) however, May's Blaziken was her main pokémon and appeared way more than Sceptile.

I am not really a fan of either, but even if Sceptile received more votes, it was just because of its "Grass" typing, Blaziken received a Mega evolution before the other Hoenn starters, cause it was the most marketable and popular starter of generation 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom