• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
It's not dumb because there are barely any first party characters left to include in Smash Bros. All the ones that people have been really wanted for years are either Assist Trophies and/or Mii Costumes. I hold the belief that if a character is a Spirit then that means they won't be playable since the DLC characters were decided during development, so if they chose a character to be a Spirit that means there wasn't any plans for them to be playable.

The only Nintendo characters that left are Porky & Sylux. Porky support just came out about recently because he's the only character that didn't have a Spirit (but I feel like he's probably going to come back in a Boss Rush Mode) so I don't see that character ever going to happen. Sylux is such an unknown character within the universe of Smash Bros, barely anyone knows what's his deal and it seems like he'll be fleshed out in Metroid Prime 4 as the main villain. I think Sylux should be hold back until Metroid Prime 4 is released and we can actually learn about this character before he's in Smash Bros. Fire Emblem Three Houses & Pokemon Sw/Sh ain't happening seeing how Rex & ARMS were too new to be included and looks to be excluded from the DLC.

There's no one left for Nintendo & Sakurai to use, so it's going to be just Third Party characters for this Fighters Pass.
Sorry for double posting but I wanted to correct a big misconception that has been going around here. Rex & Pyra and Sprigman were not made playable because their designs weren't finished. Rex & Pyra's designs weren't finished till more than half a year after Ultimate's project plan and Springman had a similar case, although we don't know the exact timeframe his design was finished. So Byleth and a gen 8 rep are entirely possible albeit extremely unlikely, at least for Byleth.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Euden from Dragalia Lost is a possibility that you didn't mention, as he is from a brand new successful Nintendo ip. It is also Nintendo's first ip that debuted on mobile devices and was co-developed with a third party company as well, so it's kind of a big deal. They even crossovered with Fire Emblem and Cygames' Grandblue Fantasy (Cygames is the co-developer of the game) so the series is no stranger to crossing over with other Nintendo series and third party ones too. I do find him unlikely but I would love to see Dragalia Lost content in Smash, especially the music.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>reboot
Since when do roster cuts equal "reboot"? As far as I know there's no ongoing plot, so there's no reason to reboot the whole franchise again like Mortal Kombat did (and that was mainly because MK Armageddon did extremely poorly compared to Ultimate, and that was also a game that brought back every fighter). Sure, the next director could do some things differently and it would take time for fans to adjust to the following games having a hard time living up to Ultimate (even though it wouldn't be too tough to have better modes than what we currently got). But absolutely no one outside of the fandom has entertained the idea that rebooting everything is the only logical course of action to take. The only way this would remotely make sense is if a remake of Smash 64 gets planned at some point.

Sorry, but I'm getting tired of all these silly assumptions in regards to what we will or won't get. The benefit of the doubt really doesn't exist in this fandom.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Another reason that there may be additional fighters passes is the possibility that Ultimate may represent the last Smash Bros game before a major reboot. If that is the case, then I think Nintendo and Sakurai will try to squeeze as many characters as they can into the roster because we may never see this many characters in a Smash game again.

Even if Geno makes it into this fighters pass or as a bonus character shortly after, I'm always down for more characters. The mystery, the anticipation, and finally being able to enjoy new characters and playstyles has always been part of the joy of Smash Bros. Wouldn't it be amazing if Geno makes it in and we have a full speculation cycle without having to worry about his chances?
If we get amymore Season Passes, I really hope Krystal amd Dixie Kong are in one of them as they would pretty much complete the roster for me when it comes to Nintendo characters.

And here is where I show you the reason I brought this up because I knew that would be how at least one person would have saw it.

I'm going to organize them in a different order. Now tell me what you see.

:ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultlucas::ultcorrin::ultpiranha:

:ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:

What do these characters have in common with one another?
The row on top are Nintendo characters while the row in the bottom are 3rd party characters. Thing is though, I don't consider Piranha Plant to be the Nintendo rep of Ultimate's DLC lineup if the characters in the Pass are our last fighters.

Piranha Plant was obviously planned for the base game as he is the only DLC character to receive a Palutena's Guidance codex. He was obviously made a bonus DLC fighter because they didn't have enough time to put him in the base game.

And because of that, I believe we will get one Nintendo rep in the Season Pass.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Hypothetically, If Sakurai does end up retiring from Super Smash Bros, I hope the devs who make the Kirby games continue on with the Super Smash Bros series. They seem to know what they're doing by keeping the Kirby games great and chock full of content.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I see it now. Half of the Nintendo characters are fan requested while half of the 3rd party characters are fan requested. Other half being promotions.
It's got nothing to do with popularity status. Let me be a little more specific.
Quality = Content
Quantity = Number of Characters

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's got nothing to do with popularity status. Let me be a little more specific.
Quality = Content
Quantity = Number of Characters
Nintendo row 5, 3rd party row 6. That probably confirms my theory about us getting one Nintendo character in the Season Pass.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Seems nobody has gotten it yet so take a look at my reasoning as to why the Fighter's Pass has to be all third party.

Here's what conclusion I came to:
Third Party gets royalties, First Party gets fighters.

First Party: :ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultlucas::ultcorrin::ultpiranha:
Notice how these guys all came with just themselves, trophies (fighter spirit in PP's place), and almost nothing else. No stage, no music (except Corrin), etc. That's because their series already have a ton of representation and it wouldn't make much sense to release more content with their characters than they'd need to to make a profit off them when their series already have so much in the game.

Third Party: :ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:
All of these characters came with a stage, music, trophies/spirits, Mii costumes, and so much more. Nintendo is treating their third party guests with respect by giving them stuff to write home about. Notice how the Fighter's Pass is almost built specifically for third party reps with this logic in mind.

The Fighter's Pass will most likely be all third party not because of first party usage and spirits but because it's only fair for those characters to get that representation value while the first party characters can appear as individual DLC without having to have a ton of additional work. To clarify: that does not mean we can't get first party reps after the Fighter's Pass or during it, as this is just a logical hypothesis.

[Bonus] Geno could count as either one of the two, to be honest.

Also, I would love if somebody could share this concept with more people. It has some pretty solid evidence going for it, I think. Need a video topic, papagenos papagenos ?

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
I think they could totally surprise all and put a Nintendo character in the FP. If that’s the case, the only one I can imagine is the final form of Grookey, to match with Greninja and Incineroar (each final form of each initial, representing Water Fire and Plant). If it isn’t a Pokemon character but still from Nintendo, I could imagine Bandana Dee or a FE character; but I don’t think they will put another FE one, I think it’s more than enough 5 characters + 2 echoes there. But that’s just pure theory, I don’t think they will put Nintendo characters here and if they do, the most solid one would be the final form of Grookey. Unless they do a Nintendo Pass then with that final form of Grookey; Bandana, another one from Fire Emblem, another from Zelda, etc. Skull Kid is my dream-character since ancient times and it would be an epic addition. On the other hand, Sonic deserves another rep: I love Knuckles but given the facts, I see happening somehow Tails and more probably, Eggman. Would be epic also!

On the actual hand. I’m totally confident about Geno still. And the only others that I have faith are: Doomguy, Crash, Ryu Hayabusa or Shantae.

Hope Geno appears in the FP or as a Bonus, but he is the Top-Must.

To sum up, regardless my love for Skull Kid, Zero and Knuckles; I’m totally “done and paid” with Mega Man & Banjo. But to end that cycle, Geno needs to happen. So Rock, Geno and Banjo. I would never ask for anything more in Smash..cause Mega Man & Geno are my top-requested for life. (Skull Kid also but I can live with that).

Geno needs to happen and WILL happen, in this Smash. The most solid and requested given that Banjo Ridley and KKR are already there, loved and perfectly Doll well designed with an amazing moveset and music. I’m pretty sure they will surprise all, soon. This Smash isn’t complete without Geno, at this moment he is a legend. It’s unbelievable all the love showed to a 24 years old character. They know it, they would also benefit putting Geno in there. Fans will be pleased.

Let’s hope for the best!

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Seems nobody has gotten it yet so take a look at my reasoning.

Here's what conclusion I came to:
Third Party gets royalties, First Party gets fighters.

First Party: :ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultlucas::ultcorrin::ultpiranha:
Notice how these guys all came with just themselves, trophies (fighter spirit in PP's place), and almost nothing else. No stage, no music (except Corrin), etc. That's because their series already have a ton of representation and it wouldn't make much sense to release more content with their characters than they'd need to to make a profit off them when their series already have so much in the game.

Third Party: :ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:
All of these characters came with a stage, music, trophies/spirits, Mii costumes, and so much more. Nintendo is treating their third party guests with respect by giving them stuff to write home about. Notice how the Fighter's Pass is almost built specifically for third party reps with this logic in mind.

The Fighter's Pass will most likely be all third party not because of first party usage and spirits but because it's only fair for those characters to get that representation value while the first party characters can appear as individual DLC without having to have a ton of additional work.

[Bonus] By this logic, Geno would almost certainly be one of the Fighter's Pass fighters.

Also, I would love if somebody could share this concept with more people. It has some pretty solid evidence going for it, I think. Need a video topic, papagenos papagenos ?
Geno is in a weird spot because he is a third party character who is also originates from a First party franchise which is the Mario series. The Mario series is already heavily represented in Stages with a whopping 18. I feel as though he will be treated like the First party characters and will only appear on his own with some Super Mario RPG music for the Mario series stages.

Though I would like to see them make the Forest Maze a stage so I can finally have a place to put the Steam gardens music in a fitting stage.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I feel a first-party character could still get in, though third-parties are certainly more-likely.

Porky could get in with a Cave of the Past stage and “Porky Means Business!” along with some other Mother series music, for example.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Geno is in a weird spot because he is a third party character who is also originates from a First party franchise which is the Mario series. The Mario series is already heavily represented in Stages with a whopping 18. I feel as though he will be treated like the First party characters and will only appear on his own with some Super Mario RPG music for the Mario series stages.

Though I would like to see them make the Mushroom Forest a stage so I can finally have a place to put the Steam gardens music in a fitting stage.
But you could very easily use any assortment of music from Final Fantasy or Super Mario RPG because those are exclusive to Geno's character and the company of Square as opposed to being a Mario series character. He would be treated as a Square character and not a first-party one because he's a third party character. Nintendo knows how to treat their fellow companies with respect and if my theory is true, he'd be treated as such because of his third-party status. Company respect ≥ franchise representation.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
But you could very easily use any assortment of music from Final Fantasy or Super Mario RPG because those are exclusive to Geno's character and the company of Square as opposed to being a Mario series character. He would be treated as a Square character and not a first-party one because he's a third party character. Nintendo knows how to treat their fellow companies with respect and if my theory is true, he'd be treated as such because of his third-party status. Company ≥ franchise.
His spirit lists him as a Super Mario series character so I assumed that would stay the same, and that any music Geno came with would be classified the same way.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
His spirit lists him as a Super Mario series character so I assumed that would stay the same, and that any music Geno came with would be classified the same way.
Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm right. Regardless, I still think they'll treat him as third party and not as individual DLC because of respect for fellow companies and the fact that Geno is a third party character regardless of whether he appeared in a Mario game or not.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm right. Regardless, I still think they'll treat him as third party and not as individual DLC because of respect for fellow companies and the fact that Geno is a third party character regardless of whether he appeared in a Mario game or not.
To be perfectly honest, unlike most third party characters, I don’t think Square-Enix has any stake in whether or not Geno gets the red carpet treatment. If Geno came with a lot of music and a stage, then it would be for his fans, and not to show anyone respect.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
To be perfectly honest, unlike most third party characters, I don’t think Square-Enix has any stake in whether or not Geno gets the red carpet treatment. If Geno came with a lot of music and a stage, then it would be for his fans, and not to show anyone respect.
Fair point. I'm going to edit out the bonus declaration of Geno being a fighter pass rep, since that's debatable.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
But you could very easily use any assortment of music from Final Fantasy or Super Mario RPG because those are exclusive to Geno's character and the company of Square as opposed to being a Mario series character. He would be treated as a Square character and not a first-party one because he's a third party character. Nintendo knows how to treat their fellow companies with respect and if my theory is true, he'd be treated as such because of his third-party status. Company respect ≥ franchise representation.
While it's certainly true that Geno could be treated as a third party character and get his own stage, Square Enix has already made their mark on the Fighters Pass and I'm going with the logic that the Fighter Pass is only open to one character per company.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Agreed. I feel like the perception for Nintendo on DLC should have changed with Smash. It's a little different from Mario Kart or Zelda tbh, and the idea is more about character representation over anything else. More passes mean more odd combinations for us to play with. I do sincerely hope there is a plan. I won't exactly be disappointed, its just a wasted opportunity because its one of the few games in history were fans actually WANT years worth of DLC over a sequel lol.
I agree with this, I don't know why people don't understand that Sakurai can take a break in between DLC seasons. Every other company has their teams go on break in between DLC seasons, at least when fighting games are involved. Sakurai even stated that he took a break after Ultimate was finished and worked on DLC afterwards so we already know that he can take a break in between content development.

Everyone treats this season pass as the be all end all DLC. They view it as "If Sakurai takes a break after FP1 then he is done with DLC for this game" when that isn't the case. He can, as I stated above, just take a break after FP1 has concluded and then start negotiations and development for FP2 after his break.

I'm not saying Sakurai doesn't deserve a break, he does, I'm just saying that I dislike how every argument for future DLC just gets shot down by people saying "He will take a break and be finished with DLC because of said break" when that is completely wrong.
I feel like the issue is more how much it costs to develop even one character. You’re talking about 6 months of development minimum, which is 6 months of renting a studio, paying for equipment, and paying employees for lots of work in addition to all of the potential licensing fees, advertisement costs, and CG trailer production.

And if you just take a break, you shut down the machine of development and it becomes much harder to restart as you have to re-organize a team that may have been moved on to new projects in addition to restarting all the means of production that I previously highlighted, so I don’t find a break a particularly great solution either.

I don’t think them making more DLC fighters has ever been a simple proposition with that sort of stuff in mind.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
A bit late to say this but I feel the last two characters will likely be Geno and a Bandai Namco rep in the fighters pass

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Don't get too cocky now, people said the same thing about Shadow, right?

And where the hell is the next episode of Christmas Comeback Crisis already it's been like what a year
People said the same thing about the Grinch leak in general :/

Ovaltine

Smash Master
People said the same thing about the Grinch leak in general :/
True, but not nearly to the extent of Shadow. Banjo, Geno, and other characters had people more mixed, but even the most skeptical of people thought Shadow was a shoe-in.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
True, but not nearly to the extent of Shadow. Banjo, Geno, and other characters had people more mixed, but even the most skeptical of people thought Shadow was a shoe-in.
The Shadow situation is why I am still worried about the Geno Mii Costume coming back in the end. It isn't a guarantee that Geno will make it.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Yeah it was legitimately surprising the Shadow wasn't playable, especially once Vergeben said Ken was going to be in the game.

I did hear that one of the reasons they took so long to have Shadow in the Sonic Boom show was that Sega has a billion different restrictions on what can and cannot be done with the character. He can't be made fun of, he can't be portrayed as goofy, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he can't "lose" to Sonic--the two are meant to be evenly matched. Maybe Smash faced the same problems and couldn't come to a reasonable outcome with Sega, which is why his AT was shown so late into the game's development.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I honestly believe that the Fighter Pass is going to be only third parties at this point. There's only two left and so far they have been characters from outsider companies.

If there's an extra character then maybe but I don't think we will get a first party character in the FP.

:bowser:.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Not sure why people seem to think we're out of first party characters to add to smash. If you count spirits as a full-on disconfirmation (which you shouldn't) then we STILL have characters who could get in smash. I personally don't count assist trophies as viable options (if it did happen, it would only be once IMO) but even still I could name at least 20 1st parties that would be perfect for Smash. I don't think the fighter pass will have any, but considering how likely a second (and third) pass is, after this first pass 1st parties are back on the table.

If you don't believe me,
not including assist trophies
1. Dixie Kong
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Karate Joe (or any Rhythm Heaven character)
4. Another form of Mii Fighter (Mii Spellcaster?)
5. Andy/Sami from Advance Wars
6. Grookey's Final Evo/Sceptile/Decidueye since we don't have a grass type
7. Literally any other pokemon tbh?
8. Octolings
9. Urbosa/Revali/Daruk/Mipha
10. Beast Ganon
11. Pauline
12. Mach Rider
13. Any F-Zero rep
14. Elma (Xenoblade X)
15. Funky Kong
16. I don't want it to happen but literally any fire emblem character
17. King Hippo/Mr. Sandman
18. Kamek (Yoshi's Island Villain)
19. Ashley/Mona/Jimmy T./WarioWare Rep
20. Medusa/Viridi/Hades/Kid Icarus Rep

TBone06

Smash Ace
The Shadow situation is why I am still worried about the Geno Mii Costume coming back in the end. It isn't a guarantee that Geno will make it.
I'm surprised there are still people who think he is guaranteed. NOTHING is ever guaranteed until it's shown. There is evidence that makes Geno's case kind of curious, but that could mean absolutely nothing.

I will always be rooting for him, but I'll always err on the side of caution. We've all been down that road before.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not sure why people seem to think we're out of first party characters to add to smash. If you count spirits as a full-on disconfirmation (which you shouldn't) then we STILL have characters who could get in smash. I personally don't count assist trophies as viable options (if it did happen, it would only be once IMO) but even still I could name at least 20 1st parties that would be perfect for Smash. I don't think the fighter pass will have any, but considering how likely a second (and third) pass is, after this first pass 1st parties are back on the table.

If you don't believe me,
1. Dixie Kong
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
8. Octolings
10. Beast Ganon
11. Pauline
12. Mach Rider
13. Any F-Zero rep
14. Elma (Xenoblade X)
15. Funky Kong
>Elma, Bandana Dee, Octolings and a F-Zero rep

I approve immensely

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord

If you don't believe me,
1. Dixie Kong
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
8. Octolings
10. Beast Ganon
11. Pauline
12. Mach Rider
13. Any F-Zero rep
14. Elma (Xenoblade X)
15. Funky Kong
You should definitely put Nintendo Labo on there. I mean we got ROB, so why not Labo? At least ROB should have gotten a Labo alt where he's made out of cardboard and his arms are Joy-Con colored

Last edited:

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
It's hard for me to imagine first party characters, especially more obscure ones, getting a spot on the Fighter's Pass when the first three have gone to stars from multi-million-selling third party franchises. There's plenty of untapped potential in Nintendo's own IPs, to be sure, but it's the big collaborations with other companies that get people outside of the Smash sphere talking. All of the really obvious first party picks, including the ostensibly disconfirmed ones, strike me as being more well-suited to the base game.

I also highly doubt a second pass is happening.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I looked at the dates for the Indies showcase/Nindies for the previous two years and compared how long it was between them and the September Directs for 2017 and 2018. The 2017 Nindies Showcase was on August 30th, with the September Direct being on the 13th. 2018's was August 28, while the Direct initially planned for the 6th was delayed due to the earthquakes that hit Japan, and then aired on the 13th. If the pattern holds with the newest indie showcase confirmed for the 19th, the September Direct has a good chance of happening before the 6th this year.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I looked at the dates for the Indies showcase/Nindies for the previous two years and compared how long it was between them and the September Directs for 2017 and 2018. The 2017 Nindies Showcase was on August 30th, with the September Direct being on the 13th. 2018's was August 28, while the Direct initially planned for the 6th was delayed due to the earthquakes that hit Japan, and then aired on the 13th. If the pattern holds with the newest indie showcase confirmed for the 19th, the September Direct has a good chance of happening before the 6th this year.
Which would be excellent timing, since I have vacation off from work that week. No spoiling or needing to dodge the Internet.

If you don't believe me,
1. Dixie Kong
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
8. Octolings
10. Beast Ganon
11. Pauline
12. Mach Rider
13. Any F-Zero rep
14. Elma (Xenoblade X)
15. Funky Kong
Not sure if background characters would be promoted, since Pauline is currently one and the only precedent we got is a veteran. :ulttoonlink:

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm a little late, but regarding the whole Sakurai overworking situation, I think people are being a little silly about it. It's not as if Sakurai is chained to a desk working on smash. It's his choice to work this much. He is not an employee of Nintendo and he has the ability to choose his own hours. He flat out said in one of his famitsu columns that he could come in one day a week and it would be fine. Yes, he overworks himself, but he can stop any time he wants. No one forced him to come into work with an IV rather than stay at the hospital. He does this because he cares about the project. So let's not throw a pity party for a man volunterily overworking himself doing what he loves.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

If you don't believe me,
1. Dixie Kong
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
8. Octolings
10. Beast Ganon
11. Pauline
12. Mach Rider
13. Any F-Zero rep
14. Elma (Xenoblade X)
15. Funky Kong
Yeah, I wouldn't count on any of these characters appearing in Smash any time soon. Dixie and Bandana Dee have been shafted quite a good chunk of times, and the same goes for Rhythm Heaven characters. Then, there's franchises like F-Zero, which aren't any more likely to have another characters as they are to have another game. One-shot Zelda characters have been requested since millennia too, and we've never seen any of them becoming playable. And promotional characters... well, I don't count on them appearing in DLC after the Corrin fiasco, so there's that too.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Yeah, I wouldn't count on any of these characters appearing in Smash any time soon. Dixie and Bandana Dee have been shafted quite a good chunk of times, and the same goes for Rhythm Heaven characters. Then, there's franchises like F-Zero, which aren't any more likely to have another characters as they are to have another game. One-shot Zelda characters have been requested since millennia too, and we've never seen any of them becoming playable. And promotional characters... well, I don't count on them appearing in DLC after the Corrin fiasco, so there's that too.
You're being incredibly pessimistic. Geno has been shafted more times than Bandana Dee, hasn't he? Now that we're getting characters that fans want because of the Smash Ballot, including Banjo Kazooie... and you think there's no chance of any of these? I mean if we were only getting the fighter pass and nothing else I could maybe understand, but that's just depressing.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I feel like the issue is more how much it costs to develop even one character. You’re talking about 6 months of development minimum, which is 6 months of renting a studio, paying for equipment, and paying employees for lots of work in addition to all of the potential licensing fees, advertisement costs, and CG trailer production.

And if you just take a break, you shut down the machine of development and it becomes much harder to restart as you have to re-organize a team that may have been moved on to new projects in addition to restarting all the means of production that I previously highlighted, so I don’t find a break a particularly great solution either.

I don’t think them making more DLC fighters has ever been a simple proposition with that sort of stuff in mind.

As opposed to what, other games that make seasons upon seasons of DLC? Yes, smash characters require a level of polish a ton of other games dont have, but we have remember that

A) this DLC is probably selling pretty crazy numbers given the selections so far

B) They work on characters at a staggered pace.

We cant assume Sakurai and team work any harder than any other companies with post launch support.

Aka, its reasonable to want more DLC if your game is the type for it. Other games release 2,3, even 4 seasons of post-launch DLC.

And as other people have said, Sakurai chooses to work on this. If he wants to make 5 more, he can make 5 more. If he doesnt, he wont.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You're being incredibly pessimistic. Geno has been shafted more times than Bandana Dee, hasn't he? Now that we're getting characters that fans want because of the Smash Ballot, including Banjo Kazooie... and you think there's no chance of any of these? I mean if we were only getting the fighter pass and nothing else I could maybe understand, but that's just depressing.
The bright side for this kind of mindset is that when their expectations are so low that they have to be scraped off the floor with a spatula, they're set up to actually be pleasantly surprised for once. It's not like this is Smash 4...

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
The sixth is my birthday, so that'd be great timing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom