• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

For me, the stuff that made this speculation cycle the worst one were:

>Steve vs Banjo
>Grinch leak
>Erdrick vs Banjo
>Google theory drama
>Artorias bandwaggon
>Hate bandwaggon on DQ fans over Artorias
>Fan theories
>Doomguy overhype

D

Deleted member

Just through up her food and blood (although not lot) came along (she was recently in a Koma)
Oh no! I hope she doesn't get any worse that's really terrible. I hope everything gets better for you and your sister. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

>Steve vs Banjo
>Grinch leak
>Erdrick vs Banjo
>Google theory drama
>Artorias bandwaggon
>Fan theories
>Doomguy overhype
At least a few of those are out of the way. For me, the fan theories have basically turned the term "theory" into a complete joke as far as this fandom goes nowadays,

Also, I utterly loathe how leakers are basically being treated like soothsayers this time around (even when some of them don't have a consistent track record in the first place, ala Vergeben and Hitagi), this isn't a cult.

So sis is getting worse :/ Sigh...
Well, that's just the kicker, isn't it. Things are bad enough, and then this had to happen. :(

I'll simply leave this here for best wishes.

Attachments

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Maybe discussions were ongoing and if lore was thought about why can you play as the dlc in world of light?
It takes a good while to discuss third parties inclusion. It's not something they can just do over coffee, which is why the first third party DLC character to be included in Smash Bros 4, Ryu, came so late in Smash Bros 4 life cycle (which was found out in April which was 7 months after the game was released). Had discussion continued on with Square Enix for Geno's inclusion then they won't have included his Spirit at all and saved it for later. No matter what day Sakurai said the DLC was finalized it was already finalized before the Smash Bros November Direct, he just made that comment so people will stop asking for their characters.

As for the lore of World of Light with DLC character well they never got attacked by Galeem, which is why Hero was riding in to help Link when fighting Dharkon minions. Since they were never attacked they never lost their bodies and turned into Spirits. They just show up later, just like Hero did in his reveal trailer.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
What is the issue with consistency? There have been 3 hints in total. The first 2 were revealed within a few weeks. This one is taking longer. Why is that an issue necessarily? I mean is the implication that you're trying to make that they're making things up or that the hint isn't actually about something Nintendo related? Because multiple people now from that server have stated that the hinter himself clarified that it's not FE related and is in fact a hint to something. It's not just a random bird picture for the sake of posting a bird picture.
It's more of a point that lots of people have made about this particular leaker's consistency as being a key point in making them a more reliable/trustworthy source. The longer that goes on without anything, the less this particular incident lines up with past picture images and the more suspicious it becomes. Why is this particular instance not panning out when the others did, and if it's a Geno "leak" for say the September Direct, why was this done so out of turn almost two months ahead as opposed to two weeks?

It could just be the source received false information or were baited with something for example, which wouldn't mean that either of the individuals involved in this situation were making things up, but misled by something else or fed wrong/misleading information. I naturally don't know the specifics of this situation to a perfect degree, but it could be a possibility for example. That's the issue with text leaks, you just never have any proof to back them up other than word of mouth. You can only move the goalposts so far down the road before these sorts of things just don't really warrant attention anymore unless there's genuinely new information revealed about the leak or whatever. The longer a "leak" goes without further supporting evidence (which can take quite a few different forms admittedly), the less relevant it becomes to discussion and the less people are willing to entertain the thought. Insisting that it means something without telling us what that something even is or anything to corroborate and solidify you point doesn't achieve anything and can do more harm than good in the long run.

Sometimes things just don't pan out or information doesn't end up as correct as people previously thought. You're not lying if you think it's the truth sort of thing.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

>Steve vs Banjo
>Grinch leak
>Erdrick vs Banjo
>Google theory drama
>Artorias bandwaggon
>Fan theories
>Doomguy overhype
How does Doomguy overhype fit into these as such a negative? I've mostly just seen increased support for him and more predictions with him, not a whole lot of negativity associated with him or his fan base and he's been on a couple of leaks that people are for, but not the make or break character like Artorias was for the "Google Leak." He just seems a little out of place with the rest of this haha.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Citation needed
Look, Sakurai is never going to say anything deconfirms a character ever again because he learned his lesson from the last time. He said Ridley wasn't going to happen and everyone keep bugging him about Ridley and making fun of his comment of Ridley being "too big."
So Sakurai coming out to say "Yeah, all those characters that are Spirits are not going to be part of the DLC" would land him and his team in hot water because that was over a thousand characters they just deconfirmed, which isn't great when you know that speculation is one of the main driving force for Smash Bros. Sakurai is never going to say why a character isn't going to happen or what these side roles means for this character chances as DLC, instead he's giving out messages that come in many forms that isn't a direct quote and let people interpret it. I know he never said Assist Trophies can't be playable through DLC because SourceGaming loves to keep reminding people about that, but Sakurai drops messages where you can bloody tell that it ain't going that none of those Assist Trophy character are ever going to see the light of day in the roster through the current Fighters Pass but he'll be damned if he confirms that.

You don't need Sakurai to put two & two together to get the answer of four, you can do that on your own.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
How does Doomguy overhype fit into these as such a negative? I've mostly just seen increased support for him and more predictions with him, not a whole lot of negativity associated with him or his fan base and he's been on a couple of leaks that people are for, but not the make or break character like Artorias was for the "Google Leak." He just seems a little out of place with the rest of this haha.
If anything the Doomguy fanbase has been maybe the best fanbase I have seen as of late in regards to smash speculation. They are just going along with the flow.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Trust me.

When I say that there are people overhyping him too much it is because of personal experience.
Not everyone is doing so, but a good number already does around Discord.

I don’t want to get into talks such as this one right now doh, since we have something way more serious going on regarding the sister of someone. And I don’t want to start heated stuff here.

If anything the Doomguy fanbase has been maybe the best fanbase I have seen as of late in regards to smash speculation. They are just going along with the flow.
You haven’t seen the stuff I have lived on Discord.

There are people who will literally trash all of your tastes just for saying anything bad about Doom as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's more of a point that lots of people have made about this particular leaker's consistency as being a key point in making them a more reliable/trustworthy source. The longer that goes on without anything, the less this particular incident lines up with past picture images and the more suspicious it becomes. Why is this particular instance not panning out when the others did, and if it's a Geno "leak" for say the September Direct, why was this done so out of turn almost two months ahead as opposed to two weeks?

It could just be the source received false information or were baited with something for example, which wouldn't mean that either of the individuals involved in this situation were making things up, but misled by something else or fed wrong/misleading information. I naturally don't know the specifics of this situation to a perfect degree, but it could be a possibility for example. That's the issue with text leaks, you just never have any proof to back them up other than word of mouth. You can only move the goalposts so far down the road before these sorts of things just don't really warrant attention anymore unless there's genuinely new information revealed about the leak or whatever. The longer a "leak" goes without further supporting evidence (which can take quite a few different forms admittedly), the less relevant it becomes to discussion and the less people are willing to entertain the thought. Insisting that it means something without telling us what that something even is or anything to corroborate and solidify you point doesn't achieve anything and can do more harm than good in the long run.

Sometimes things just don't pan out or information doesn't end up as correct as people previously thought. You're not lying if you think it's the truth sort of thing.
If he was fed leakbait, though, he may have been caught by now.

And he could’ve known in advance and decided to tease when he got the info, he could have even seen proof that it’s real. After all, Vergeben’s nearly-a-year-old information came true, and Minecraft content could possibly be with Banjo as a mii costume.

D

Deleted member

Please, let’s not start a Doom discussion right now.

I already get trashed a lot on Discord whenever I mention how Doom 2016 was a huge letdown for me or share my lack of interest about getting the character in Smash.

Because yes, I’ve met many Doom fans that treat the thing as this deity that can’t be ignored.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I mean....this is the Geno thread, not the Doom Slayer one so obviously it shouldn't be discussed here x)

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Look, Sakurai is never going to say anything deconfirms a character ever again because he learned his lesson from the last time. He said Ridley wasn't going to happen and everyone keep bugging him about Ridley and making fun of his comment of Ridley being "too big."
So Sakurai coming out to say "Yeah, all those characters that are Spirits are not going to be part of the DLC" would land him and his team in hot water because that was over a thousand characters they just deconfirmed, which isn't great when you know that speculation is one of the main driving force for Smash Bros. Sakurai is never going to say why a character isn't going to happen or what these side roles means for this character chances as DLC, instead he's giving out messages that come in many forms that isn't a direct quote and let people interpret it. I know he never said Assist Trophies can't be playable through DLC because SourceGaming loves to keep reminding people about that, but Sakurai drops messages where you can bloody tell that it ain't going that none of those Assist Trophy character are ever going to see the light of day in the roster through the current Fighters Pass but he'll be damned if he confirms that.

You don't need Sakurai to put two & two together to get the answer of four, you can do that on your own.
I do if I want *inhales* hard evidence!
Otherwise it's our favorite phrase! "An Assumption!"

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean....this is the Geno thread, not the Doom Slayer one so obviously it shouldn't be discussed here x)
We discuss everything here as long as goes back to Geno in the most roundabout way possible.

And don't get the fear of people hating on others for not liking Doom 2016. That has been an opinion shared around here before, and nothing bad happened then. I am a Doomguy fan myself and I am not inclined to addressing that. I just like the character a lot.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Yeah, no. What you're insinuating is even more outside his MO than a simple case of something taking longer to figure out. The difference is this guy is actually connected enough to Nintendo directly as an official brand ambassador that he either sees or is told about things directly by people from Nintendo or people connected enough to know it's legit before sharing. He wouldn't have shared it if he didn't know it's true, and is clearly going to say what it is when it's revealed. Plenty of real leaks have taken awhile to pan out like the Dragon Quest and Banjo Kazooie ones from last year. It's a legit thing we have just not seen yet. No "harm" is being done. I don't understand why you keep implying this guy is doing something harmful or how anything about this is harmful.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think we could be waiting for a while guys tbh if this is Smash. If this guy knew about Hero being in back in like what, December? What if he just found out about a new character a few weeks ago and has no idea when it's gonna be revealed, but thought it was something worth hinting about this time to his friends. Keep in mind, we weren't even supposed to know about the Starling.

D

Deleted member

We discuss everything here as long as goes back to Geno in the most roundabout way possible.

And don't get the fear of people hating on others for not liking Doom 2016. That has been an opinion shared around here before, and nothing bad happened then. I am a Doomguy fan myself and I am not inclined to addressing that. I just like the character a lot.
Yeah, my problem with the Doom overhype doesn’t come from the people who just want Doomguy since he is cool.

My problem is with the people who take the series as an idol that deserves a full cult.
It sucks to be most of my time on Discord around people who will just try to take me down from any side the second I say stuff such as “I didn’t like the Doom games” or “I want to try Doom 3”.

You are honestly a fine person, but I’ve met too many people who have made my life harder just for being someone who dislikes Doom.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I honestly think we could be waiting for a while guys tbh if this is Smash. If this guy knew about Hero being in back in like what, December? What if he just found out about a new character a few weeks ago and has no idea when it's gonna be revealed, but thought it was something worth hinting about this time to his friends. Keep in mind, we weren't even supposed to know about the Starling.
C'est la vie

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Please, let’s not start a Doom discussion right now.

I already get trashed a lot on Discord whenever I mention how Doom 2016 was a huge letdown for me or share my lack of interest about getting the character in Smash.

Because yes, I’ve met many Doom fans that treat the thing as this deity that can’t be ignored.
I was never too much a fan of the idea either. Never saw too much speculation for him until that 5ch leak (which was fake) If we're getting a Bethesda rep, i'd much prefer Elder Scrolls.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was never too much a fan of the idea either. Never saw too much speculation for him until that 5ch leak (which was fake) If we're getting a Bethesda rep, i'd much prefer Elder Scrolls.
Replace Elder Scrolls with Fallout and that's otherwise my thoughts exactly

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Replace Elder Scrolls with Fallout and that's otherwise my thoughts exactly
I think Vault Boy would be cool. There was some leak prior to the Grinch leak that had him, Geno, and a few others on it. It would've been really awesome if even if the Grinch was fake, that turned out to be true. Instead we just got Kencineroar, though. :I

EDIT: Yep, it was the Prima leak

https://www.inverse.com/article/49391-smash-ultimate-leaks-10-more-characters-revealed

Damn that would've been such a cool roster...

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Caught up to the thread after getting home from work. Not much has happened since Pokemon info dump coming. And apparently there are murmurs starting as to what it is? Exciting!

Also no one has thought of this possibility as to why this particular image is taking its time. PERHAPS our guy in the know got information that he wasn't suppose to. Or rather, got incredibly lucky and just got told by his boss 'Hey so...this is happening. Maybe not til September, but thought you would like to know.'

Also also about the bird FINALLY being told that this was deliberate. (I.E. would have been black eagle for Edelgard, crow for RE, etc) Maybe not to the extent of "I searched high and low for a Starling and I finally found it!" Yet, here we are with it. Now if it was a Wood Pecker Hahahaha...we would connect that sooo easily!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think Vault Boy would be cool. There was some leak prior to the Grinch leak that had him, Geno, and a few others on it. It would've been really awesome if even if the Grinch was fake, that turned out to be true. Instead we just got Kencineroar, though. :I

EDIT: Yep, it was the Prima leak

https://www.inverse.com/article/49391-smash-ultimate-leaks-10-more-characters-revealed

Damn that would've been such a cool roster...
Didn't Prima go out of business tho? Or was that BradyGames?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, let's take a moment to breathe here.

Sure, parts of the fandom have been at the absolute worst this time around, but that doesn't take away the fact that the rest have been at their absolute best, as well.

Even if Geno doesn't get in here, there are genuinely nice folks that have shown their love. Sakurai being wished a happy birthday for his hard work shortly after the AT Twitter drama. Not one but TWO massive fan letters sent to him after the confirmations of :ultkrool: and :ultbanjokazooie:. The fans being supportive and making sure of Chris getting to play Ultimate before release on his deathbed, by convincing the heads at Nintendo.

As we go through the worst of times, there are still moments that remind you what kind of fanbase it should strive to be, an exemplary one. So we shouldn't wallow through negativity and simply try to pull through the storm.

Freaking this. I like the idea as much as the next guy, but the fact of the matter is, he's a flavor of the month trend that only started due to a fake leak, and a Bethesda staffer going "Oh yeah.".

Didn't Prima go out of business tho? Or was that BradyGames?
Prima, yes. Ultimate was their last ever book, no less. They're both dead tho.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
So, today at around 2AM (real early), Sakurai tweeted a picture of a birthday cake his dev team presented to him for his Birthday. A pretty awesome one too! Smash Bros. Ultimate themed. Ah, a cake. Hmm... a cake...?

*sips Kero Kero Cola*
Sakurai might be teasing a new franchise coming with a playable.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When you're fairly confident that the hint somehow involves Smash but realize the outcome could be a month or two off...

Conflicted Steve Harvey.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You've heard of Box Theory, Google Theory, Color Theory, Music Theory and Light/Dark Theory, now get ready for

Cake Theory :troll:

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Its probably for Banjo & Kazooie. Looking through all of the others, it makes sense since everyone else is accounted for.

EDIT: OH MY GOD! If you look at the cake close, you could probably fit 3 more of those symbol cakes behind the Smash Logo!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You've heard of Box Theory, Google Theory, Color Theory, Music Theory and Light/Dark Theory, now get ready for

Cake Theory :troll:
Chell's confirmed for Smash!

An Aperture Science stage would be pretty interesting, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom