• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GENESIS July 10th-12th. ALL NEW INFO ON THE FIRST PAGE! TWITTER INFORMATION!! 7/7/09

ThePrime

Smash Lord
lol melee tournaments i've been to have done both in pools: two neutral stages, or a best of three with counterpicks. So which one is it for genesis? The ruleset says all sets are best of three with counterpicks (with exception of finals), but are pools matches considered sets? Or are sets only when you're in the bracket? Just wanted a clarification.

joeplicate

Smash Master
pools are usually sets

people tend to get up in arms when it's only one match, like at evo world
how can you decide on a fair stage? what if they **** up seeding? there's a lot that can go wrong

if there are time constraints and they have to wrap up pools, it's likely that they'll just do 3 stock matches or something (like at super champ combo), or let fewer people out of pools. that way, it'll be either a smaller bracket or fewer rounds of pools to come.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
How would you incorporate the strikeout rule with the cali standard 1 neutral reset?

Or is that a reason why we arent using a strikeout system?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Pools is two matches, random stage choice. Each match is 3 stock, 5 minutes. If you think explaining stage striking to the newer players is gonna take awhile, I can't even imagine how long it would take to tell someone every single counter pick allowed if you are doing a set, and then also have them make up their mind quickly. Doing a set like pool structure would be bad for this tournament, this is where I agree random-2 match is by far better overall.

pockyD

Smash Legend
really, what's the point of doing 2 matches instead of just 1, except for its own sake (that is to say, "2 matches is more than 1")?

with a bo3, you can at least have the sensation of playing for a win

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Sets would take too long for pools.

Even if Genesis only gets 400 people entered for Brawl, sets would take too long assuming half of the players can be accommodated at one time, which I'm not sure if there are enough Setups to do so.

Using two matches is more accurate than using one. It allows you to tie your opponent if you lose one and come back and win the next one. That's something you can't simply do with 1 match. It also allows newer players to get a lot of games in instead of just being able to play everyone once.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Brawl loading times are so bad that even if you had to explain stage striking to a dog you could get it done quicker than waiting for FD to load then cancelling it, then waiting for battlefield to load then cancelling it. How hard is it to explain to somoene that "you each cancel one stage then you pick the third one to play on"

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
In my experience a little less than half of all pool sets go to a third game. That third game increases the set time by 50%, so by doing BO3 instead of 2 Games you'd probably be adding 25% more running time to the pools.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Would 2 stocks but a set be an option? I think not having to play a third stock speeds up every match, and half the matches will end in 2 games anyway even with a set. I dunno, overall it feels like it would be faster. It's not like you can recover with a suicide in brawl anyway, so whther you suicide at low percentage with 2 or 3 stocks makes no difference, you probably lost.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Sets would take too long for pools.

Even if Genesis only gets 400 people entered for Brawl, sets would take too long assuming half of the players can be accommodated at one time, which I'm not sure if there are enough Setups to do so.

Using two matches is more accurate than using one. It allows you to tie your opponent if you lose one and come back and win the next one. That's something you can't simply do with 1 match. It also allows newer players to get a lot of games in instead of just being able to play everyone once.
i've found that far more often than not (since we're just making up numbers, i'll go 75%), pools sets end 2-0

and sure, using two matches is more accurate than one, but using three matches is more accurate than two... what's the basis for two being a happy medium?

Kira-

Smash Champion
Wow, no sets for pools? Then the loser gets an easy counterpick and that's it? The loser of the first game gets away with an easy 1-1 then instead of losing the 3rd match like he should!

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kira, generally any reasonable ruleset for 2 Games Only is going to have a random stage, double blind characters (or no changing characters period) for both games. Not saying it's ideal but it's one of the more reliable ways to cut down on run time.

pockyD

Smash Legend
...but what's the point of basically doing the exact same thing twice instead of just once?

may as well do a giant pool of 10-12 and do bo1; people get the same number of games and get to play a lot more people, still save time overall, etc.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Kira, generally any reasonable ruleset for 2 Games Only is going to have a random stage, double blind characters (or no changing characters period) for both games. Not saying it's ideal but it's one of the more reliable ways to cut down on run time.
mmk cool

joeplicate

Smash Master
Pools is two matches, random stage choice. Each match is 3 stock, 5 minutes. If you think explaining stage striking to the newer players is gonna take awhile, I can't even imagine how long it would take to tell someone every single counter pick allowed if you are doing a set, and then also have them make up their mind quickly. Doing a set like pool structure would be bad for this tournament, this is where I agree random-2 match is by far better overall.
the thing is, almost everybody already KNOWS the counterpicks for their respective game

and if they don't, it's as easy as looking at the rule sheet in front of them
how long would that take, like 30 seconds, tops?

most people choose their counterpick almost immediately
and already have a very good idea of their pick as soon as their opponent chooses his character

2 random matches seems so bad
idk what you brawl kids have been up to

WhatIsFear

Smash Ace
i looked on the front page and didn't see this explicitly but,

will there be wifi at the venue? i'm planning on recording matches and uploading them while i'm at the tournament.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
there was supposed to be wifi but the owners had a misunderstanding and so as far as I know there is no wifi for the time being.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Yeah it's a bummer there won't be a stream. I don't know why I'm disappointed about that because I'm going to be there and I can watch multiple matches at once in person, so it doesn't affect me at all haha. And like ^^^ said I'm sure people will be uploading replays every night.

sidefx

Smash Champion
i actually dont enjoy live streams.. a tournament this big only deserves to be seen in person. watching it online does it no justice what so ever.

Top Bottom