• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GENESIS July 10th-12th. ALL NEW INFO ON THE FIRST PAGE! TWITTER INFORMATION!! 7/7/09

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Canada and East Coast are having a severe deficit of players. Would it be legit if Canada and East coast combined and I also play for them?

Or at the very least make an international crew and since I am moving to Canada very soon let me play for them?
And WC has lost two of their top players (Forward and Wobbles) as well.

I don't see any reason why Canada and East Coast have to combine. Of course EC (or any other region outside WC) isn't going to have all of their best players attending. It's called a home field advantage.

Though I don't see anything wrong with you being part of Canada. Darkrain is already going to be playing for the South.

Shroomed

Smash Master
how about...north crew?
WA+Canada+Midwest?

except Silent Wolf plays for West.

mostly i dont want to miss out on crews for no good reason >_>;
i think the reason is that ur not quite good enough yet

gotta b pretty **** to get on the crew i hear

pockyD

Smash Legend
yeah, a 'good reason' would be if you're not top 10 in your region

i don't know how good you are or aren't (and consequently, whether WC is making a mistake by not including you), but REGIONAL crews isn't meant to give everyone a chance to play

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I can understand lumping regions together, but canada is just as close to west coast as it is to east coast, I guess it would make sense to lump eastern canada to east coast somewhat.

sidefx

Smash Champion
yeah but canada alone is bringing around 40-50 people...

if they cant really rely on 40-50 people to represent them.. then we'll figure something out at the tournament..

as far as EC merging with anther region.. probably not. like koruyuu said.. its home field advantage.. and if you feel like you should be on the WC team, then the only thing i could say is prove it to mango, either through placings or by just showing him at genesis..

but we'll see.. if we have to merge regions, then a bunch of other regions will get screwed over, including mw, and international.. but again.. we'll see how it plays out at the tournament and see whats up, and see what people's opinions are on the subject

pockyD

Smash Legend
my thoughts:

if a region can't be bothered to send 10 players, then they don't deserve to be represented

if you DO have 10 players from your region, even if they are far from the best, there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't use those 10 players before considering asking to merge with another crew... they put in the same effort you did to get to the tournament, and are a part of your actual community

there's no point in randomly combining regions simply to get enough // "good enough" players... regional crews are about regional pride, and there's no reason to see something like midwest combining with international (though i'm pretty sure both have at least 10 players anyway) simply to fill a quota when any victories/losses by said combined crew would be absolutely meaningless

Regional crews are about representing an actual region, it's not just an all-star game... if we wanted that, we should be running draft crews instead

Atlus8

Smash Master
Where can I find housing? D: I has PsychoMidget, Pat, Jopez, and myself. Help meeeee. <3
Best thing you can do is find something with a hotel room and split the cost! The next thing would be splitting a hotel room among you guys!

Edit - Sidefx, what's the rule with bringing cubes/wii? Do you guys keep them at the venue over night or can we take them back at the end of every night?

The King

Smash Ace
We absolutely prefer the Wiis/GC's/TV's to remain at the tournament grounds overnight, simply because every piece of equipment that doesn't leave the venue is 1 more piece of equipment we can 100% count on being there for all 3 days of the tournament. We'll be eternally grateful to anyone who generously leaves their setup equipment at the venue overnight each night.

That being said, if you really must bring it home with you or to a hotel smashfest or whatnot, it's your right to do so... just please for the love of GOD bring it back; we want setup donors who will actually stick around for all 3 days.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i would highly recommend not even leaving your memory card in your setup if you want to still have it when the tournament is over

phazermuffin

Smash Apprentice
Best thing you can do is find something with a hotel room and split the cost! The next thing would be splitting a hotel room among you guys!
Oh, but Atlus, I called the hotel and all they have left is one bed rooms which are 52 per night and we have like approximately 6 people cause I'm working with MacD atm... ><

MacD

Banned via Administration
don't count on me right now... i have somewhere else right now but we'll see

sorry i can't be more hlep till after work jenny, i have a plan to get you somewhere though

Milos

Smash Lord
my thoughts:

if a region can't be bothered to send 10 players, then they don't deserve to be represented

if you DO have 10 players from your region, even if they are far from the best, there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't use those 10 players before considering asking to merge with another crew... they put in the same effort you did to get to the tournament, and are a part of your actual community

there's no point in randomly combining regions simply to get enough // "good enough" players... regional crews are about regional pride, and there's no reason to see something like midwest combining with international (though i'm pretty sure both have at least 10 players anyway) simply to fill a quota when any victories/losses by said combined crew would be absolutely meaningless

Regional crews are about representing an actual region, it's not just an all-star game... if we wanted that, we should be running draft crews instead
agreed, it's regional crews as long as the region has 10 people that's the crew.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
10 sounds good. keeps the list shorter(#ofcrews), and also its a better representation of the region not just the 5 best but some of the mid too.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
Are the rules being re-written any time soon, because if stage striking isn't in there this tournament is going to be lulzy.

It's a gigantic national tournament, why would you not use the more time efficient and balanced way of choosing first stage?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Like, for pools I COMPLETELY understand not using stage striking. Pools need to be done fast, you might have to spend time with the newer players describing stage striking, and you should be able to get fairly accurate results just using the 3 random stages when it comes to pools.

However, when it comes to the bracket, I think it would be better to use stage striking. You will not have a significant loss of time since most players in the bracket should be aware of how stage striking works, and you're not really rushing to get bracket done compared to pools (in fact, if both players use their random reset, that would probably take longer than them stage striking). I also know many smashers do not want a dumb scenario where they use their random reset and then next stage selection it goes right back to that stage and there's nothing you can do about it. Stage striking lets the players know they are at least given the option to use their heads and be selective about where they want to play for the critical first match, instead of just throwing it to random and hoping for the best.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
you could probably just say "stage striking is OK if both players agree to it"
That's what they already have in the rules. This doesn't address if a player refuses to stage strike.

If I go up against someone, and I don't want 1 of the particular stages, I'm gonna be upset when it picks that stage since I couldn't even "filter" what stage I wanted. I'd rather be forced to stage strike first than be forced to do random. There's a big difference between Wario vs IC's on Smashville than on FD, or Marth vs Snake on Battlefield instead of FD or Smashville, and it would be silly for one of those to occur without at least one of the players having a small say in it.

Like I said earlier, for pools Random is very understandable. I'm usually a pool leader and I like being able to tell people the matches are on randoms instead of explaining stage striking and who goes first, etc. For bracket however, random just shouldn't be done.

pockyD

Smash Legend
tough cookies

the set of 'random'/'starter'/'neutral' whatever stages is selected as a subset of all legal stages because those stages are already deemed the most "fair"... if one of those stages is as blatantly unfair as you are making it out to be, that's a problem with the stage list, not the starter stage system, so take up issue with that instead

I agree striking is much more fair overall and you won't find many people who will defend it as adamantly as I will, but to complain about specific matchups on specific stages is an argument against the stages in question, not that they are chosen randomly

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
tough cookies

the set of 'random'/'starter'/'neutral' whatever stages is selected as a subset of all legal stages because those stages are already deemed the most "fair"... if one of those stages is as blatantly unfair as you are making it out to be, that's a problem with the stage list, not the starter stage system, so take up issue with that instead

I agree striking is much more fair overall and you won't find many people who will defend it as adamantly as I will, but to complain about specific matchups on specific stages is an argument against the stages in question, not that they are chosen randomly
I'm illustrating that the players have no say in what stage is chosen when using random. Their only real voice in the matter is the random reset, which doesn't even guarantee that the next spin of the wheel will land on a different stage. There's a difference between a character/stage matchup occurring because the players choose to do so through striking, than something like that occurring on random without any input.

For a national sized tournament with people flying in just to play, why not go ahead and use stage striking for Bracket play only? If the first match will have a HUGE impact on the set, why not allow the players to at least use some strategy and strike the stages they choose, instead of just telling them that the game is going to pick, sorry if you don't like it?

Going random in bracket play isn't going to save a significant amount of time to the point where it's almost necessary to use random instead of stage striking. There's only 3 stages, it won't take long for each player to weed out one stage on their own. In fact, using random resets would take longer than stage striking because you're sitting there waiting for the stage to load, then you quit out the game, etc. Then your opponent might decide to use his random reset, and same thing all over.

I just don't see the benefit of doing so in a situation like bracket play. For pools, I 100% agree with random, it saves a LOT of time in that situation, but in bracket it doesn't really save that much, if any, time.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering if it is at all possible to request to be in a pool that will play later in the day. I have work friday and can't be there until around 5:30 or so.

KevinLUU

Smash Cadet
After seeing the youtube videos, I think mitchell and dashizwiz should have a dance battle at this thing

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a shuttle going from the Oakland airport to the first BART station, and then from the Pittsburgh BART station, will there be a bus route we can take that drops around the Ramada?

Haven't seen this answered in the first post, so I'm just making sure.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a shuttle going from the Oakland airport to the first BART station, and then from the Pittsburgh BART station, will there be a bus route we can take that drops around the Ramada?

Haven't seen this answered in the first post, so I'm just making sure.
I think someone said the Bus takes an hour though from the BART station.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
not to be rude, but there isn't a single stage that's "fair" for every single character match-up. With no stages on the stage starter list, what do you do?

Also, Stage Striking is waaay faster than Random. A single reset means tons of time wasted, not to mention if the random repicks that stage, and you have to reset again, etc etc. Not to mention the fact that stage striking is much better as far as balance is concerned. If a tournament like Genesis isn't concerned with balance, then that's a huge tarnish on the host's names.

dmg has good input on this. Pools with no random reset is perfectly acceptable, mainly because you can't even CP in pools, the point is to just play neutrals and move on.

don't see how it's so painful to switch to stage striking, especially when it's considered nationally to be the best stage select system (even by this site). \:

pockyD

Smash Legend
not to be rude, but there isn't a single stage that's "fair" for every single character match-up. With no stages on the stage starter list, what do you do?

Also, Stage Striking is waaay faster than Random. A single reset means tons of time wasted, not to mention if the random repicks that stage, and you have to reset again, etc etc. Not to mention the fact that stage striking is much better as far as balance is concerned. If a tournament like Genesis isn't concerned with balance, then that's a huge tarnish on the host's names.

dmg has good input on this. Pools with no random reset is perfectly acceptable, mainly because you can't even CP in pools, the point is to just play neutrals and move on.

don't see how it's so painful to switch to stage striking, especially when it's considered nationally to be the best stage select system (even by this site). \:
allow me to shorten this

not to be rude, but there isn't a single stage that's "fair"
that's all there is to it; any method of trying to find the perfect first stage is an unattainable goal, since 'fair' is a completely arbitrary determination. We can uniformly decide that rainbow cruise is a "fair" stage, and based on that standard, judge every other stage as unfair, but there cannot be more than one stage that is "fair"

if your primary goal is to be "fair", play ALL game ones on the same stage

this is actually pretty irrelevant towards genesis and i support stage striking 100% in theory; i just felt that based on your first sentence, you have some imaginary vision of what "fair" is, when in reality, no such thing exists, and i'm feeling argumentative

in practice i feel that people are either not smart enough to understand it, or just so inherently against change that they won't put any effort into understanding it

joeplicate

Smash Master
If a tournament like Genesis isn't concerned with balance, then that's a huge tarnish on the host's names.

it's not really a tarnish on their name because every other tournament ever has gone by random too

you can't really claim that the tournament standard (random pick) is outrageously unfair, then try to shame genesis hosts for it

plus, I don't know what tournaments you've been going to where you can't counterpick in pools >_>

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
if your primary goal is to be "fair", play ALL game ones on the same stage
I'm glad we agree, even if you say it in such an argumentative way.. lol

I'm not looking for a "fair" stage, I'm looking for a fair way of choosing the unbalanced stage. Having people appropriately strike stages in a sensible order is fair, they get an equal chance to get rid of the stages they don't like.

in practice i feel that people are either not smart enough to understand it, or just so inherently against change that they won't put any effort into understanding it
I hate to admit how much truth there is in this statement...

it's not really a tarnish on their name because every other tournament ever has gone by random too
ehh, maybe I was being dramatic. but still, I don't know anyone who honestly thinks going random is better than stage striking (at least, anyone who understands stage striking). Why stick with an outdated system?

plus, I don't know what tournaments you've been going to where you can't counterpick in pools >_>
erm, any large-scale tournament where time is an issue?

SCSA is probably the most recent one that did it.

Top Bottom