• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Ness discussion

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Wow son, WD oos is probably one of the most basic things you can learn and REALLY makes dealing with certain characters a whole lot easier. As for Ness's CC game, I opt for CC grab (lol on that tho), dtilt and fsmash, tho none of them are really that good and are all situational/rely on bad spacing. Yeah Ness is pretty terrible.

As for the Jiggs matchup, good luck getting the lead and retaining it the whole match. For every bair she does, you need at least 2 or 3 Fairs to make up the difference. She also has a way easier time comboing, edgeguarding, KOing and recovering. Let's not forget how terrible Ness's recovery is. That matchup is probably one of the worst in the game.
These.

and WOWWWWW Sage you gotta be ****ing KIDDING me...you can't WD oos? The way I learned it before I knew much about the game was by holding one of the shield buttons down while wavedashing using the other shield button. That should get you started :)

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I mean I can do it when I practice, I just forget i have that option... I suck, you all know that.

I do like dem djc bairs oos though.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
These.

and WOWWWWW Sage you gotta be ****ing KIDDING me...you can't WD oos? The way I learned it before I knew much about the game was by holding one of the shield buttons down while wavedashing using the other shield button. That should get you started :)
I shield and WD out of shield using the same trigger.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I am horrible at everything. That's how.

My most memorable achievement in smash is 3 stocking doll's peach twice in a row. He now ***** my Ness everytime. =(

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I don't really remember much from that day. I was starving.

I kill ic's all the time with pk flash... it sopo recovery.

It also ***** dk and bowser

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
What's the problem exactly?
Well falco usually double lasers me then shines. I notice when falco double lasers against fox, fox shields first then shine oos. I want to know the move to use with Ness.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I think Ness's dash attack goes under high lasers.

Aerial out of shield sucks for getting around laser pressure, since Ness lacks range (although fair is good at certain distances). Wavedash out of shield is pretty reliable though.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
If you are below falco and in your shield as Falco comes down with the second laser you can beat it with Nair oos, move has insane priority.
I see now. nair oos then if falco tries to get back on the stage dtilt> charged fsmash.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Double Ness is so fun lol. I love that team. Anybody want to try it at Pound 5 lol.

Yea nair is ****. It trades with everything that's not disjointed like Falco's dair and Dk's bair. It comes out in 5 frames and is Ness' fastest aerial.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I've done double Ness with Chu, toasty, Jmoan, KirbyKaze, and maybe Mow....

I still suck though.

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, i've dropped brawl ness for melee ness. Having a lot of fun re-learning melee with Ness and brawl has lost its competitive charm for me. How active are melee ness mains? Hoping to improve a lot in a short while.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
er well... I don't think there's anybody who mains Ness outside of mofo...

I main Peach lol. Ness is my secondary, though I don't think I'd ever go Ness in tournament...

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
aw : (. He seems somewhat viable when I see mofo play. Peach used to be my main as well. Getting used to melee physics now/ learning L cancel and wavedash. My question is how important is it for Ness to L cancel and which ariels are the most important to cancel. Like, if i don't L cancel a fair will I be unable to follow it up with a grab (assuming it connects). In that situation I am also unsure if Ness's dash speed is quick enough to follow up with a grab...he may need to wave dash. I can't tell, but I see mofo do it but i'm not sure exactly how he gets his combos off.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
You need to l-cancel to combo with any of Ness' aerial except dair which you can auto cancel.

Djc fair -> grab works by djcffling a fair and then dash grabbing. I don't think you have enough time to wd -> grab. It doesn't always work though.

Djc bair -> grab works in a similar way.

You have to l-cancel all aerials with Ness, there's no reason not to.

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
haha thanks guys. Thanks for the info sage, really appreciate it. It's hard for me to tell what's going on in melee sometimes. Like sometimes I can't tell a difference between dash dancing and wavedashing when studying how people move.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
That's what she said.

Ness' glaring weaknesses are:
-very bad cc game
-bad recovery
-can be chaingrabbed/combo'd easily
-very situational and specific combo game
-above average shieldstun
-****ty range

Pros:
-Small
-aerial game
-djc
-f-smash in tiny melee
-combos
-***** bowser

All the areas he's "good" in, he's just average to other characters. I.e. movement and range and speed. It really frustrates me that Ness' f-smash has not vertical hitbox.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Don't forget how easy it is to platform camp him :D

Above average shield stun? Don't be silly, that's the same for everyone.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Peach Fair has the same amount of shield stun on Ness's shield as it does on Peach's shield.

You could note that Ness's oos game is crippled by his inherent range / speed issues, which would be true, and therefore his shield game is naturally worse than a lot of characters, but he doesn't take extra shield stun or anything like that.

I think Ness's good traits are basically that he has some potential for ground speed, speed on low platforms, some good combo / tech chase potential, a bit of range on some of his decent moves, and decent KB on a few others.

But his lack of approach, lack of range on the vast majority of his moves, awful recovery, and the somewhat situational nature of his combo game makes him so easily shut down by characters with decent punishment on him and some reasonably good camping tools.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
lol nah toasty, not goin to pound V unfortunately

moves have different shield stun, not characters lol

Top Bottom