• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Ness discussion

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Any body knows the match up against ganon.

no matter what i do, his fair keeps on killing me.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Well Doll lied to me then. I'll yell at him when I see him next.

Edgeguard him and nair him in the face and stuff and u-throw combos at lower percents and d-throw combos at high percents and it's a gigantic spacing battle that Ness is more than likely going to lose.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Low percent you can u-throw fair / bair depending on his di and then combo... i like fair uair personally but that doesn't always work 'cuz of di and other stuff

At like 35 you can start d-throw > dash attack / djc uair if he DIs away or elsewhere respectively.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I'm gonna start playing him every day. Lol.

Added to my collection of scrubby low tiers.

Percentages when CC gets broken (tested against average weight character [Doc]):

Dair: 14%
Tipped f-smash: 29%
Up-smash: 33%
First hit of d-smash: 38%
Non-tipped f-smash: 50%
U-tilt: 63%
Uair: 64%

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
That's precisely what I'm saying. Once they hit these percentages, though, they'll get knocked down if they try to CC the respective move.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Crouch canceling is pretty effective. Especially on Corneria when you want to absorb the lasers for health. But as it has been mentioned, the higher the percent, the higher you're at risk of DIing downward off the stage. Learn DJC, ViceGrip. It's amazing and useful.

In other news, does anybody got any idea how to deal with an aerial friendly Fox who likes to bait? I used to be able to defeat my friends Fox, but playing him royally screws up my playstyle. Any suggestions?

He likes to use u-smash or u-air to kill, he's always hovering above my Ness with his aerials, and he's grab happy, but I can't avoid that sometimes, even though I feel like I know what he's going to do.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If you know when he's gonna come down with an aerial just beat his aerial with U-tilt and then do a bigass combo or tech chase or whatever people do with Ness nowadays.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i almost never use uptilt. Just the way that move looks makes it seem like it has a terribly ****ty hitbox, though im not sure whether or not it actually doees

Uffe

Smash Hero
Thanks for the u-tilt tips. I've never thought about doing that. I use it quite often, too!

@ Macman: SHFFL > dair > u-tilt x2 against Fox. :)

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i only utilt if i think djc uair will be too slow to link in a combo

didnt know utilt had invincibility tho

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Ness head has invinicibility during the u-tilt. IDK if the hands do, I do know it beats lots of dairs and I use it to do that. I never really combo with it outside of u-tilt u-tilt combos... The hitbox vs. aerials is good, but it's startup lag is...

Jono

Smash Apprentice
Utilt is a very good move to punish with and beats more things than Uair
Utilt sets up for another Utilt/ Uair/Nair/Bair or any other aerial.

usually [wavedash] Utilt -> Uair/Utilt x N times -> Nair/Bair -> techchase/edgeguard

I'm going to start trying to techchase with PKT2

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
That's hard though cuz it's predictable and has lots of startup lag. I am trying to see if I can put some simna stuff into my game though.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Utilt is a very good move to punish with and beats more things than Uair
Utilt sets up for another Utilt/ Uair/Nair/Bair or any other aerial.

usually [wavedash] Utilt -> Uair/Utilt x N times -> Nair/Bair -> techchase/edgeguard

I'm going to start trying to techchase with PKT2
Fun fact: I used to go under the name Jono. That was up until I discovered the name here was already taken. The strange thing about all of it, though, is that you and I use Ness.

Anyway, if you're good at Jump Canceling and you ever get the chance to grab Fox at 0% or a bit higher, see if you can chain throw him.

otg

Smash Master
Utilt is good, but's range is horrific, is only out for a lil bit and is overall risky. But considering that pretty much all of Ness's gameplay is based around taking chances, I guess thats not that huge a deal.

I think Nair is Ness's best move.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
why nair? I'm so bad at using it... I think bair/fair/uair are tied for best IMO. I use them all equally.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Nair actually isn't that bad. It's probably a lot riskier than the other aerials except uair, though. If you can L-cancel it, it might come of good use. I have yet to really know if this works, but whenever I see the opportunity, I usually go for a SHFFL'd nair across the stage until the opponent gets knocked off. But like I said, I have yet to really know if this works. Especially since some people don't tech properly.

Jono

Smash Apprentice
works if you're expecting a dash attack/grab a bit better than fair since it also hits slightly below you while fair is better against incoming aerials but still doesn't have too much range/priority over some others

Fun fact: I used to go under the name Jono. That was up until I discovered the name here was already taken. The strange thing about all of it, though, is that you and I use Ness.

Anyway, if you're good at Jump Canceling and you ever get the chance to grab Fox at 0% or a bit higher, see if you can chain throw him.
at fox/falco 0%, it's usually
uthrow -> uair -> regrab
i find doing that a lot easier than trying for the regrab after uthrow immediately but i haven't tried it much on DI heavy opponents

i don't really go by my smashboards name anyway

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
You can't uair foxes that di away from uthrow. You can regrab them so it's all good. Use dat dash jc grab

otg

Smash Master
Nair is fast, has high priority, deals solid damage, is good oos, good to combo out of fair, I could go on. I personally don't use uair enough, I just don't see Ness's strong suit as keeping someone above him. Not that he has a strong suit really.

Jono

Smash Apprentice
you can actually do a lot when others are above you

namely PKT LOL try it

Jono

Smash Apprentice
Im more talking about in terms of comboing, following up, tech chasing, etc. I dont really think PKT is really viable for any of that.
PKT -> techchased bairs(or techchased PKT) are so good on fastfallers . if you hit them while they're jumping or while they're still on hitstun they usually can't jump out of PKT hitstun

otherwise it racks up a lot of % for a quick bair
it's surprising when you start integrating it into Ness game, especially use it when you know they're coming down with an attack

otherwise you'll probably be wanting to do wavelands on upper platforms to uairs which usually leads to nair/bairs

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
man ness is not good

i have to work so hard to do things that are so easy with a top tier.

what is the point of trying to be a good low tier main if itll still be vastly inferior to playing a top tier...

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
It's actually kind of funny, I would've placed the same at Pound whether I had gone all Ness or all Peach. =/

I probably would've done better if I had played just Peach or just Ness instead of trying to pull the whole double main thing for my whole smash career. I'm kinda at a crossroads.

IDK what to do now... I'm thinking of focusing on Peach until I get good enough to make it to bracket at a national and then switching to Ness. I was really close to making it to round 3 pools.

I just find playing Ness a lot of fun. I'm starting to find Peach as fun too now though. Idk, I'm so confus

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
idk, im starting to not find ness as fun as i used to. The lack of options in almost every situation is starting to frustrate me. I hate predicting my opponent to do something and not being able to punish it. Which was never an issue when i play almost any other top tier. (except peach at times)

I used to have the idea that all characters have some viability at atleast high levels of play but im not sure if I can stick by that.

It might just be that I stopped practicing seriously with ness and I simply don't know how to punish/deal with somethings due to that lack of practice and not because ness is unable to do it. I really hope this is the case. So i'll keep playing ness, probably more so to convince myself he isn't a waste of time

and otg yur a scrub, yur top tiers are not better than yur doc. They may be even, but def not better. I don't mind losing as long as I know my losing will atleast help me improve to the point where I can get good enough to not lose. But if ness cant be viable at all, than why bother.

Top Bottom