• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Mafia theory discussion

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
This goes up as one of the most embarrassing outbursts I have had on an internet forum board. You can see me flying off tangent in the second paragraph. Woosh.
I realize this is a month late but I understood everything you said in that post.

Remember in Upick Pokemafia when there was that greenroom where people outside the game discussed the game as if they were playing it themselves? I think it would help some players to watch a game develop while knowing the roles and alignments of every player, and discussing with someone knowledgeable why player x was doing what they were doing.

To take a recent game as an example, Awkward Moments. An outsider reading the game and knowing the setup could ask "why does townAsdioh have townreads on the entire scumteam?"
Where someone that could read my mind would answer "it's because the mafia team has put themselves out there and been more outspoken than half the lurky, scummy town" etc. etc.

Alternately, those people that want to improve could simply talk to [insert respectable playername x here] while [playername x] was playing a game, and get inside their head during the game. It would be sort of like hydraing without playing the game, but the problem with that is you would be discussing ongoing games with a player, whether you know the setup or not :o

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah Asdioh that last paragraph is an idea that I had. When I was trying to explain things to my friend, I thought "man the easiest way to show all this would be to hydra with him". That could be really effective if the right player is helping the newbies out.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Yeah Asdioh that last paragraph is an idea that I had. When I was trying to explain things to my friend, I thought "man the easiest way to show all this would be to hydra with him". That could be really effective if the right player is helping the newbies out.
Hydraing doesn't teach if one player is pulling all the weight. Reading a game does though.

:phone:

Kantrip

Kantplay
The only difference would be they would be reading the thread AND they can talk to the player. That way they can get a feel for what is said in thread and compare it to what is thought out of thread. The point isn't to hydra with them, it's more being able to talk to someone as they play a game, as Asdioh said.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Hydras are a good tool to use to help someone, but it usually ends up going horribly wrong.

For instance whenever I've hydrad with a newer player just to help them, the entire hydra is judged at the standard of what I myself would post so when the newbie tries to post something and it comes out looking scummy as **** everyone concludes we're scum. Then I'm forced to take the reigns of the hydra and basically beat down all of the dumb opposition so I don't get lynched and then by that point its really not that fun for him who's just watching me fight people to save the hydra. That and he doesn't really get to learn anything.

Newbie games are bar none the best way to get introduced to mafia and learn the moves.

Getting better literally consists of getting knocked on your *** enough times by better people until you find a way to improve.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Kuz said:
Getting better literally consists of getting knocked on your *** enough times by better people until you find a way to improve.
Praise da lawd praise da lawd by gawd dis mang iz a saint!

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Yeah. Get your **** pushed in until you figure it out. I would recommend jumping straight into the queue over newbie games if I knew the person was an analytical thinker with common sense. Those are rare.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Newbie games help to become acquainted with general things that people in queue games may be annoyed that you don't know.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I'd have to agree with this. I learned more from Fire Emblem (where town got absolutely SLAUGHTERED) then any other game I played. In particular, I learned to stop tunneling so much, how townies start bad wagons while mafia join them, and never to completely trust Overswarm. ;)

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Hi Raz. You, me, and Laundry are all examples of that I would cite. I don't remember if OS played a newbie.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Heh. The first newbie game started up pretty soon after I joined Spidey Mafia (my first game). It's really been a long time...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I never played newbie.

All of us who didn't play one should get to join one looool
actually, all of us "experienced" players should make our own newbie consisting only of us and 2 ICs.

oh man. it would be like
playing a regular game

X1-12

Smash Champion
Bus drivers and redirectors - Discuss? Sometimes I think roles like that are way OP especially when given to scum, but other times they seem really hard to use properly. Is this a good quality in a role or is it just swingy?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I was town bus driver in the disco room "mindgamed mafia" and it let me save myself and have Glyph die instead.

True story. Too bad his "town ghost commander" role didn't let him post once per Day phase after death like he said it would...

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I once redirected my scum night kill to myself cuz of a town bus driver. >_>

It's a role with alotta accidental cool moments.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I can beat that story. I remember on one particularly silly Epic Mafia game, my mafia partner managed to bus drive OUR kill onto himself. (I did end up winning, by the way. However, the setup was broken from the start, as it was literally winnable N0 by mafia with the right night actions, I only needed to cause one mislynch.)

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Bus drivers and redirectors - Discuss? Sometimes I think roles like that are way OP especially when given to scum, but other times they seem really hard to use properly. Is this a good quality in a role or is it just swingy?
The only way they're even swingy is when you don't account for them in set-up design. They can be accounted for and applied with little issue.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Every single one of you that complains about walls is a ***** and should quit this ****ing game or man up. You're starting to annoy me.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Every single one of you that complains about walls is a ***** and should quit this ****ing game or man up. You're starting to annoy me.
Walls are inherently anti-town, if you make them without a damn good reason people are right to complain.

It takes me a fair amount of effort to make my posts succinct, but I usually manage it. Learning to condense things is a skills and makes it infinitely easier to make your point in a way that others can understand.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
And there could be a lot os misleading info.
Scum might slip tons of useless info and then put one major thing that people see and react offof.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Asdioh is serious. Unless the author is EE, walls are full of reaching. If the author is EE, the wall contains at least some reaching.

Top Bottom