• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Legend of Zelda Rep Support Thread

Riophilip

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1135-2901-6367
Switch FC
SW-6101-4928-8023
I want Mipha, Girahim, Fierce Deity or...

Clinkz...

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still really want the Hero of Time. :linkmelee: Alternative costume: Hero of Twilight. :4link:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not all the same guy, and two are echos which I'm guessing since you're asking for Melee Link you were not thinking as an echo.
He could reasonably be a Echo to Link? :ultlink: Just give him Young Link’s Bombs and he’s mostly fine. Oh and the Hookshot of course.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
He could reasonably be a Echo to Link? :ultlink: Just give him Young Link’s Bombs and he’s mostly fine. Oh and the Hookshot of course.
Then you're basically back at Young Link, so why would we need an echo of Link to make him also Young Link using a 4th Link?

If it was to add another character who isn't in Smash it'd be one thing, but to add an echo to put in a 4th version of Link seems like a waste.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
On the topic of masked link, the "pokemon trainer"-esque style is always what people suggest, but here's the real 200 IQ moveset idea: He uses each transformation for a different move. I might actually write a moveset for this to show what I mean, if anyone wants to see it. (I might just do it anyway tbh.)

ZelDan

Smash Master
If we had to have another Link, give me Oracle Link. Give him a moveset based around the Rod of Seasons and the Harp of Ages (somehow). Oracle Link does have one of my favorite designs.

I don't really want this that much. Just wanted an excuse to nerd over the Oracle games. ._.

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
On the topic of masked link, the "pokemon trainer"-esque style is always what people suggest, but here's the real 200 IQ moveset idea: He uses each transformation for a different move. I might actually write a moveset for this to show what I mean, if anyone wants to see it. (I might just do it anyway tbh.)
Oooo that’s a smart idea, I might make one too if you don’t mind, just for fun, dont mean to compete or anything haha that’s just a really good idea that I’ve never thought of before

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I made that moveset I was talking about.

Masked Link Moveset

Masked Link moves around, with a very similar model to Young Link, but a few changes. He does not carry a sword, and uses his left hand for his masks. He has a Mirror Shield in his right hand.

The main gimmick is, for most of his moves, he will instantly transform into the different Majora's Mask forms. This causes a lot of his moves to have somewhat higher start-up, but the animation of transforming is incredibly quick. Most of the time, it won't even be an animation, he'll just morph into the form in question, with his model growing or shrinking and changing color/proportions as he does. After a move's animation is finished, he'll transform back into Link. The higher than average start-up on his moves can be countered by using the Song of Double Time, see his Down B for more info.

(If something isn't mentioned, assume it's the same as Young Link.)

Traits
Movement:
His walk and air speed are the same as Young Link, but his dash is faster. He puts on the Bunny Hood while dashing. The initial dash is the same, though, so foxtrotting/dash-dancing won't change. Similarly, he jumps a bit higher with his fullhop, but not his shorthop or double jump.
Weight: He is slightly heavier than Young Link, but lighter than Adult Link. However, if he's hit during a move, he will have more/less weight depending on the form he was in when hit. Deku Link is slightlyheavier than G&W, Zora Link is the same weight as Link, and Goron Link is slightly lighter than K Rool. He will stay in the same form during hitstun, so combos will keep him in the same form until he either lands, airdodges, or does a move.

Dodges are the same as Young Link in frame data, but with a cosmetic change of wearing the stone mask while he does it.

Standard Moves
Jab:
Link quickly transforms into Zora link and does the first two hits of the MM Zora combo, and then does standing kicks repeatedly, until releasing, where the finisher will be a final Zora kick.

F-Tilt: A goron punch, fairly slow startup. Similar animation to the goron punch in MM.
Up-Tilt: Deku spin, but very briefly, and in place.
D-Tilt: A fairly quick zora leg sweep with his arm blades.

Dash Attack: Deku spin again, but this move slides forward a lot, and the sliding can be controlled slightly to move less/more, similar to using the actual attack in MM.

Forward Smash: Link puts the Zora Mask on as he's charging, and then once released, he'll turn into Zora link and throw forward the double Zora boomerangs, which travel a very short distance. Like other Smash Attacks, there's a decently long time before the hitbox comes out after releasing the charge, but it's very strong.
Up Smash: Link puts the Deku Mask on as he's charging, and then once released, he'll turn into Deku Link, go into a flower, and pop out. Like other Smash Attacks, there's a decently long time before the hitbox comes out after releasing the charge, but it's very strong.
Down Smash: Link puts the Goron Mask on as he's charging, and then once released, he'll turn into Goron Link, and do the jump and ground slam. Like other Smash Attacks, there's a decently long time before the hitbox comes out after releasing the charge, but it's very strong.

N-Air: Link equips the blast mask and makes a small explosion, similar size hitbox to YL's bombs, but centered on Link. He holds his shield up during the animation to take no damage.
F-Air: Link transforms to Zora Link and does a drop-kick, similar to K Rool's F-Air, but a bit faster.
B-Air: Link transforms to a Goron and punches behind him, similar to Ganondorf's B-Air.
Up-Air: Link transforms to a Deku and brings out two flowers to hit above him. Fairly weak, but also very fast.

Grab: Initiated with the hookshot, and has the same pummel as YL, but the throws are very different.
Up Throw: Transforming into Deku Link, he encases the enemy in a bubble and shoots them straight up. The bubble pops a set distance away (about the distance to the top platform in BF.) and then sends them flying upward. Very good kill throw, especially when on platforms.
Forward Throw: Transforming into Goron Link, he throws them forward like he would a powder keg in MM.
Back Throw: Link does the spin-move throw from MM3D with the giants mask, except he doesn't grow large while doing this.
Down Throw: Equipping the Bremen mask, he marches in place, on top of the enemy, with a drumbeat playing on each step. He only steps 3 times. Sends at a good angle for combos.

Specials
Up-B:
Link transforms into Deku Link, and shoots straight upward out of a flower that materializes from thin air. It has a very strong hitbox on start-up. After launching, Deku Link pulls out two flowers and floats gently down. This move is similar to Peach's Up B, but with only one hitbox at the very start. The flowers have no hitbox.

Up-B stuff: While floating downwards, you can only do a few things, and you're stuck in Deku form until you land or get hit.
You can move left and right. (obviously) Pressing the A button will do Up-Air, no matter what direction you're holding. The animation is also slightly different, since he already has flowers out. Pressing the B button will drop a deku seed, which explodes on impact with a player or the ground. Any grounded players nearby the explosion will be stunned for a short time based on their percent, long enough to drop down and use a smash attack at kill percents. Pressing down will put away the flowers and put you in freefall. Pressing up will bring the flowers back up.

Side B: He transforms to Goron Link, and does a goron roll. This move is very similar to Sonic's side b, but with a few differences. He will continually back up while charging, and when fully charged, he'll grow spikes and immediately move forward. You can't hold onto the charge. Also, it will always only have a single hit, and is a strong punish move instead of a combo tool. You can jump out of it and keep momentum. This would only allow for follow-ups with an uncharged move at very low percents.

Neutral-B: A chargeable ball projectile, similar to Samus and so many other's neutral B's, but with a unique mechanic. Link transforms to Deku Link while charging, and can fire it at any time during the charge. However, the move is almost completely useless if it's not fully charged, as it moves slowly and does minimal damage/knockback.
At full charge, though, it will trap the opponent in a bubble for a set time on hit. The time they spend inside is unaffected by percent, but can be mashed out of to leave faster. When they escape the bubble, they take about 20% damage, but you can hit them before that happens to do even more damage. The bubble will move slightly as you hit it, but when they leave the bubble they won't take any knockback, and can immediately airdodge with only 2 frames of vulnerability beforehand, meaning you have to have very good timing to actually get a kill with this move.

Down-B: Link pulls out his ocarina, and plays one of a few songs. Pressing the special button before playing a song will have him put away the Ocarina.
Pressing down after pulling out the Ocarina will have link play the Song of Double Time, which will make him move slightly faster (about 1.05x) and have slightly less start-up time (2 or 3 frames) on his moves for 10 seconds.
Pressing up will have Link play the Song of Storms, which will make a small raincloud appear above Link for 15 seconds, which will slowly damage everyone under it. The raincloud will not follow Link around.
Pressing forward will have Link play the elegy of emptiness, which will create a statue in front of him that functions similarly to a Pac-Man hydrant that doesn't shoot water. It will despawn after 15 seconds, or it can be hit to launch it forward and deal significant damage.
Pressing back will make link play the song of healing, which will heal Link for 20% if it completes.
Each song takes a fairly long time to play, about equal to the cutscene of the song playing from MM. (not the whole song, just the six/eight notes part) If Link is interrupted while playing, it completely cancels the move and its affects. The continuation of the song (the part after the six/eight notes) will play, but Link is able to move at that point. Link cannot use this move if he's successfully used it in the last 20 seconds.

Final Smash: He transforms into Fierce Deity and slashes forward, catching an opponent, and then transitions to a cutscene which takes place on top of the clock tower from MM. Link continually slashes the opponent, as the moon crashes into the tower. The cutscene fades to white quickly, and launches the enemy forward while Link powers down.

Miscellaneous
Up Taunt:
Link yawns, as if the battle is boring him, then puts on the All-Night mask for a second to wake himself up, and takes it off after.
Side Taunt: Link juggles the three main masks he uses with one hand, then puts them away.
Down Taunt: Link does the Kamaro's Mask Dance. This taunt doesn't ever end until you cancel it yourself with anything else.

With Down B, you can use it to just play music like in the games, by using the taunt buttons and A, as the c-stick and A respectively. You can also use the jump button to make the pitch of a note higher (sharp) or the shield button to make it lower (flat) so that you can taunt your enemies by playing a song of your choosing, should you decide to learn how to play it. Pressing shield during this move cancels it, unless you've already played at least one note, to prevent players from getting confused why shield won't cancel the move. This has no functional use other than being fun.

In Water, Link automatically becomes Zora Link and has a very long time to stay afloat compared to the rest of the cast, but he can still drown, at which point he'll turn into Goron Link and curl up as he falls.

Alternate Costumes
For his default costume, he will usually not be wearing a mask, unless using one of the moves above that requires equipping a mask.

The rest of his outfits will give him a different default mask that he will wear every time he isn't wearing a different one, as well as change his tunic color.
-Postman's hat and pale red tunic (loosely based on the postman's actual outfit)
-Great Fairy mask and fuschia tunic
-Keaton mask and yellow tunic
-Romani's mask and white tunic, with black spots (based on cows... duh)
-Kafei's mask and purple tunic (based on Kafei, of course)
-Mask of Truth and stone-grey tunic (based on the gossip stones the mask allows you to talk to)
-Captain's hat and dark green tunic (color based on Captain Keeta's pants)

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
If we had to have another Link, give me Oracle Link. Give him a moveset based around the Rod of Seasons and the Harp of Ages (somehow). Oracle Link does have one of my favorite designs.

I don't really want this that much. Just wanted an excuse to nerd over the Oracle games. ._.
I always thought it'd be cool if Young Link had an Echo Fighter based on Link from A Link to the Past, because canonically that same Link is also in Link's Awakening and the Oracles games. But I think we all want a brand new Zelda character that isn't an echo (well maybe Impa for Sheik) before we get that.

Also I'm still sad that we don't have some of the best songs from the Oracles games in Smash. Here is my personal favorite:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I always thought it'd be cool if Young Link had an Echo Fighter based on Link from A Link to the Past, because canonically that same Link is also in Link's Awakening and the Oracles games. But I think we all want a brand new Zelda character that isn't an echo (well maybe Impa for Sheik) before we get that.

Also I'm still sad that we don't have some of the best songs from the Oracles games in Smash. Here is my personal favorite:

I have "Classic Link" in the OP, which is basically my idea of combining Oracle Link/LttP Link/LA Link into one moveset, since they're canonically the same Link. I love the Oracle games, they're so underrated it's lame. I played them on VC when they were put on the 3DS.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
200 IQ or 200 frames of end lag?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No problems I’ve seen it.

Anyway, am curious about when we gonna have information about a new Zelda game

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Imagine a Kokiri/Goron/Zora Pokemon Trainer style fighter. The possibilities!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Imagine a Kokiri/Goron/Zora Pokemon Trainer style fighter. The possibilities!
But such a time consuming character would justify them never adding another Zelda character ever again. I don’t want that to happen.

The only characters I feel are slightly likely to happen down the line are Impa and Ganon. And those happen to depend heavily on how the next Zelda game is gonna address them. Because a new role with workable content for Smash makes them prime contenders.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I made that moveset I was talking about.

Masked Link Moveset

Masked Link moves around, with a very similar model to Young Link, but a few changes. He does not carry a sword, and uses his left hand for his masks. He has a Mirror Shield in his right hand.

The main gimmick is, for most of his moves, he will instantly transform into the different Majora's Mask forms. This causes a lot of his moves to have somewhat higher start-up, but the animation of transforming is incredibly quick. Most of the time, it won't even be an animation, he'll just morph into the form in question, with his model growing or shrinking and changing color/proportions as he does. After a move's animation is finished, he'll transform back into Link. The higher than average start-up on his moves can be countered by using the Song of Double Time, see his Down B for more info.

(If something isn't mentioned, assume it's the same as Young Link.)

Traits
Movement:
His walk and air speed are the same as Young Link, but his dash is faster. He puts on the Bunny Hood while dashing. The initial dash is the same, though, so foxtrotting/dash-dancing won't change. Similarly, he jumps a bit higher with his fullhop, but not his shorthop or double jump.
Weight: He is slightly heavier than Young Link, but lighter than Adult Link. However, if he's hit during a move, he will have more/less weight depending on the form he was in when hit. Deku Link is slightlyheavier than G&W, Zora Link is the same weight as Link, and Goron Link is slightly lighter than K Rool. He will stay in the same form during hitstun, so combos will keep him in the same form until he either lands, airdodges, or does a move.

Dodges are the same as Young Link in frame data, but with a cosmetic change of wearing the stone mask while he does it.

Standard Moves
Jab:
Link quickly transforms into Zora link and does the first two hits of the MM Zora combo, and then does standing kicks repeatedly, until releasing, where the finisher will be a final Zora kick.

F-Tilt: A goron punch, fairly slow startup. Similar animation to the goron punch in MM.
Up-Tilt: Deku spin, but very briefly, and in place.
D-Tilt: A fairly quick zora leg sweep with his arm blades.

Dash Attack: Deku spin again, but this move slides forward a lot, and the sliding can be controlled slightly to move less/more, similar to using the actual attack in MM.

Forward Smash: Link puts the Zora Mask on as he's charging, and then once released, he'll turn into Zora link and throw forward the double Zora boomerangs, which travel a very short distance. Like other Smash Attacks, there's a decently long time before the hitbox comes out after releasing the charge, but it's very strong.
Up Smash: Link puts the Deku Mask on as he's charging, and then once released, he'll turn into Deku Link, go into a flower, and pop out. Like other Smash Attacks, there's a decently long time before the hitbox comes out after releasing the charge, but it's very strong.
Down Smash: Link puts the Goron Mask on as he's charging, and then once released, he'll turn into Goron Link, and do the jump and ground slam. Like other Smash Attacks, there's a decently long time before the hitbox comes out after releasing the charge, but it's very strong.

N-Air: Link equips the blast mask and makes a small explosion, similar size hitbox to YL's bombs, but centered on Link. He holds his shield up during the animation to take no damage.
F-Air: Link transforms to Zora Link and does a drop-kick, similar to K Rool's F-Air, but a bit faster.
B-Air: Link transforms to a Goron and punches behind him, similar to Ganondorf's B-Air.
Up-Air: Link transforms to a Deku and brings out two flowers to hit above him. Fairly weak, but also very fast.

Grab: Initiated with the hookshot, and has the same pummel as YL, but the throws are very different.
Up Throw: Transforming into Deku Link, he encases the enemy in a bubble and shoots them straight up. The bubble pops a set distance away (about the distance to the top platform in BF.) and then sends them flying upward. Very good kill throw, especially when on platforms.
Forward Throw: Transforming into Goron Link, he throws them forward like he would a powder keg in MM.
Back Throw: Link does the spin-move throw from MM3D with the giants mask, except he doesn't grow large while doing this.
Down Throw: Equipping the Bremen mask, he marches in place, on top of the enemy, with a drumbeat playing on each step. He only steps 3 times. Sends at a good angle for combos.

Specials
Up-B:
Link transforms into Deku Link, and shoots straight upward out of a flower that materializes from thin air. It has a very strong hitbox on start-up. After launching, Deku Link pulls out two flowers and floats gently down. This move is similar to Peach's Up B, but with only one hitbox at the very start. The flowers have no hitbox.

Up-B stuff: While floating downwards, you can only do a few things, and you're stuck in Deku form until you land or get hit.
You can move left and right. (obviously) Pressing the A button will do Up-Air, no matter what direction you're holding. The animation is also slightly different, since he already has flowers out. Pressing the B button will drop a deku seed, which explodes on impact with a player or the ground. Any grounded players nearby the explosion will be stunned for a short time based on their percent, long enough to drop down and use a smash attack at kill percents. Pressing down will put away the flowers and put you in freefall. Pressing up will bring the flowers back up.

Side B: He transforms to Goron Link, and does a goron roll. This move is very similar to Sonic's side b, but with a few differences. He will continually back up while charging, and when fully charged, he'll grow spikes and immediately move forward. You can't hold onto the charge. Also, it will always only have a single hit, and is a strong punish move instead of a combo tool. You can jump out of it and keep momentum. This would only allow for follow-ups with an uncharged move at very low percents.

Neutral-B: A chargeable ball projectile, similar to Samus and so many other's neutral B's, but with a unique mechanic. Link transforms to Deku Link while charging, and can fire it at any time during the charge. However, the move is almost completely useless if it's not fully charged, as it moves slowly and does minimal damage/knockback.
At full charge, though, it will trap the opponent in a bubble for a set time on hit. The time they spend inside is unaffected by percent, but can be mashed out of to leave faster. When they escape the bubble, they take about 20% damage, but you can hit them before that happens to do even more damage. The bubble will move slightly as you hit it, but when they leave the bubble they won't take any knockback, and can immediately airdodge with only 2 frames of vulnerability beforehand, meaning you have to have very good timing to actually get a kill with this move.

Down-B: Link pulls out his ocarina, and plays one of a few songs. Pressing the special button before playing a song will have him put away the Ocarina.
Pressing down after pulling out the Ocarina will have link play the Song of Double Time, which will make him move slightly faster (about 1.05x) and have slightly less start-up time (2 or 3 frames) on his moves for 10 seconds.
Pressing up will have Link play the Song of Storms, which will make a small raincloud appear above Link for 15 seconds, which will slowly damage everyone under it. The raincloud will not follow Link around.
Pressing forward will have Link play the elegy of emptiness, which will create a statue in front of him that functions similarly to a Pac-Man hydrant that doesn't shoot water. It will despawn after 15 seconds, or it can be hit to launch it forward and deal significant damage.
Pressing back will make link play the song of healing, which will heal Link for 20% if it completes.
Each song takes a fairly long time to play, about equal to the cutscene of the song playing from MM. (not the whole song, just the six/eight notes part) If Link is interrupted while playing, it completely cancels the move and its affects. The continuation of the song (the part after the six/eight notes) will play, but Link is able to move at that point. Link cannot use this move if he's successfully used it in the last 20 seconds.

Final Smash: He transforms into Fierce Deity and slashes forward, catching an opponent, and then transitions to a cutscene which takes place on top of the clock tower from MM. Link continually slashes the opponent, as the moon crashes into the tower. The cutscene fades to white quickly, and launches the enemy forward while Link powers down.

Miscellaneous
Up Taunt:
Link yawns, as if the battle is boring him, then puts on the All-Night mask for a second to wake himself up, and takes it off after.
Side Taunt: Link juggles the three main masks he uses with one hand, then puts them away.
Down Taunt: Link does the Kamaro's Mask Dance. This taunt doesn't ever end until you cancel it yourself with anything else.

With Down B, you can use it to just play music like in the games, by using the taunt buttons and A, as the c-stick and A respectively. You can also use the jump button to make the pitch of a note higher (sharp) or the shield button to make it lower (flat) so that you can taunt your enemies by playing a song of your choosing, should you decide to learn how to play it. Pressing shield during this move cancels it, unless you've already played at least one note, to prevent players from getting confused why shield won't cancel the move. This has no functional use other than being fun.

In Water, Link automatically becomes Zora Link and has a very long time to stay afloat compared to the rest of the cast, but he can still drown, at which point he'll turn into Goron Link and curl up as he falls.

Alternate Costumes
For his default costume, he will usually not be wearing a mask, unless using one of the moves above that requires equipping a mask.

The rest of his outfits will give him a different default mask that he will wear every time he isn't wearing a different one, as well as change his tunic color.
-Postman's hat and pale red tunic (loosely based on the postman's actual outfit)
-Great Fairy mask and fuschia tunic
-Keaton mask and yellow tunic
-Romani's mask and white tunic, with black spots (based on cows... duh)
-Kafei's mask and purple tunic (based on Kafei, of course)
-Mask of Truth and stone-grey tunic (based on the gossip stones the mask allows you to talk to)
-Captain's hat and dark green tunic (color based on Captain Keeta's pants)
So I think you have a lot of really cool ideas here, when I mentioned the masks working more like Corrin I assumed they would mostly be used for Smash attacks and specials but you got really creative with it in a way I think works pretty well. Here are some thoughts I had.

-I don't think he should be holding his shield if he isn't using a sword, it doesn't really fit the theme of a mask using Link and feels shoehorned in so that he keeps his projectile blocking ability.
-I don't think I would use the bunny hood since it's already an item in Smash and could lead to confusion as much as I think its an iconic hat that should be used. Since it was only in your run animations I would say it wouldn't be a huge loss to avoid that confusion.
-I think the use of the blast mask is cool but I'd say if you're gonna use it go all in and have him take a little damage, if Pichu can handle it so can Link.
-Since this Link is using masks and not items I'd avoid the hookshot grapple, either have a mask that allows him to hookshot or drop it for a standard grapple.
-I like the idea of an ocarina move considering its current absence in even a taunt but I don't think I would have it be multiple choice, just have it play one song. I also think the speeding up or healing songs might be difficult to balance, instead I thought about sticking with the song of time and having it do one of two things, either it would move Link to where he was a set period of time ago (I think this one would have to happen quick and probably wouldn't require the whole song to play first) or it would work as a pseudo-counter where if he gets hit it either works like Shulk's counter or sends both fighters back a set time.
-I think the idea of the different outfits each having a different mask but I think then the default outfit should have one too. I think the Keaton mask would probably work here similar to how it does in Hyrule Warriors. I would then maybe use the Mask of Scents for the Yellow costume and since you still need a blue one I'd replace the great fairy one with the Don Gero mask with a blue tunic since the great fairy mask is so large.

Overall very cool, if there is a support thread for this moveset you can count me in.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
So I think you have a lot of really cool ideas here, when I mentioned the masks working more like Corrin I assumed they would mostly be used for Smash attacks and specials but you got really creative with it in a way I think works pretty well. Here are some thoughts I had.

-I don't think he should be holding his shield if he isn't using a sword, it doesn't really fit the theme of a mask using Link and feels shoehorned in so that he keeps his projectile blocking ability.
-I don't think I would use the bunny hood since it's already an item in Smash and could lead to confusion as much as I think its an iconic hat that should be used. Since it was only in your run animations I would say it wouldn't be a huge loss to avoid that confusion.
-I think the use of the blast mask is cool but I'd say if you're gonna use it go all in and have him take a little damage, if Pichu can handle it so can Link.
-Since this Link is using masks and not items I'd avoid the hookshot grapple, either have a mask that allows him to hookshot or drop it for a standard grapple.
-I like the idea of an ocarina move considering its current absence in even a taunt but I don't think I would have it be multiple choice, just have it play one song. I also think the speeding up or healing songs might be difficult to balance, instead I thought about sticking with the song of time and having it do one of two things, either it would move Link to where he was a set period of time ago (I think this one would have to happen quick and probably wouldn't require the whole song to play first) or it would work as a pseudo-counter where if he gets hit it either works like Shulk's counter or sends both fighters back a set time.
-I think the idea of the different outfits each having a different mask but I think then the default outfit should have one too. I think the Keaton mask would probably work here similar to how it does in Hyrule Warriors. I would then maybe use the Mask of Scents for the Yellow costume and since you still need a blue one I'd replace the great fairy one with the Don Gero mask with a blue tunic since the great fairy mask is so large.

Overall very cool, if there is a support thread for this moveset you can count me in.
I appreciate this post so much <3 I'm just gonna respond to some of these tho-

-He isn't holding a sword because he doesn't use it, and removing the shield would make it feel less like Link to me.
-That's fair, and I wouldn't be upset to see it go. I really only included it because I could. If I were actually making him in the game I probably would remove it, yeah.
-If he didn't have the shield on him, I wouldn't mind giving him self-damage for this move, but it wouldn't be accurate to the games if it did. The blast mask would cause some self-knockback and hitstun, which obviously isn't good for a Nair.
-My idea was for this to be Link from Majora's Mask, instead of just A Link that uses masks. He uses the hookshot in MM, so I included it. Using a mask transformation as a grab would be weird, because he couldn't really transform again for the throws.
-The down-b is supposed to be more like Shulk's neutral B, except with a really long start-up. Down-B counters are super overdone, and I really like the idea of super strong buffs that take a while to activate. The healing wouldn't be overpowered I think, because your opponent can easily get more than 20% if they run up and charge a smash attack. Remember- you can't cancel the song once you start playing it.
-The default skin isn't wearing a mask because it's supposed to look like concept art MM Link, or the MM Link amiibo. The great fairy's mask can easily be made smaller, and the Kafei mask is pretty close to blue, anyway. If I did give the default skin a mask, it'd be the Don Gero mask just to match colors.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I appreciate this post so much <3 I'm just gonna respond to some of these tho-

-He isn't holding a sword because he doesn't use it, and removing the shield would make it feel less like Link to me.
-That's fair, and I wouldn't be upset to see it go. I really only included it because I could. If I were actually making him in the game I probably would remove it, yeah.
-If he didn't have the shield on him, I wouldn't mind giving him self-damage for this move, but it wouldn't be accurate to the games if it did. The blast mask would cause some self-knockback and hitstun, which obviously isn't good for a Nair.
-My idea was for this to be Link from Majora's Mask, instead of just A Link that uses masks. He uses the hookshot in MM, so I included it. Using a mask transformation as a grab would be weird, because he couldn't really transform again for the throws.
-The down-b is supposed to be more like Shulk's neutral B, except with a really long start-up. Down-B counters are super overdone, and I really like the idea of super strong buffs that take a while to activate. The healing wouldn't be overpowered I think, because your opponent can easily get more than 20% if they run up and charge a smash attack. Remember- you can't cancel the song once you start playing it.
-The default skin isn't wearing a mask because it's supposed to look like concept art MM Link, or the MM Link amiibo. The great fairy's mask can easily be made smaller, and the Kafei mask is pretty close to blue, anyway. If I did give the default skin a mask, it'd be the Don Gero mask just to match colors.
-When I think of a "masked" young Link I think of Hyrule Warrior's take on it which didn't have a shield and didn't feel weird, that said what if he just had his sword and shield on his back? I think that would still make him Link but without him holding a shield he doesn't use.
-Honestly if the bunny hood wasn't in the game already or could be replaced it really would have been a good idea.
-I think there are plenty of cases where a mechanic from one game didn't come over 100% faithful due to being poor mechanics for a fighting game, the blast masks' whole thing is blowing yourself up though so I think it should damage him but wouldn't have to cause hitstun. Maybe it could just have an end-lag animation of him being stunned or damaged?
-I agree I wasn't crazy about the mask to get a tether grab but personally since this Link moveset uses only masks it seems weird that in just this one place he uses a tool instead. I don't think he needs a tether grab and that the moveset would feel more cohesive without it.
-I'm still not sold on the Down-B, Shulk's Arts are a defining part of his moveset and character and I don't think it should necessarily show up other places unless it is really critical to the integrity of the character. In MM Link does use his ocarina to do a bunch of different things but the core element in that game is using it to restart the three days over again and I think showcasing that in someway tied to the ocarina is probably the best use for the move. I agree we don't really need more counters which is why I was trying to come up with a unique way for it to "counter" besides just hitting them back but I do think it doing one thing is better than it doing several things.
-Again I go back to the Hyrule Warriors look for Young Link as why I think the Keaton mask would work, it showcases that this is a Link who uses masks while also being fairly distinct. The big issue with the Great Fairy Mask is more that the hair is so long behind it, its vastly different than the other masks. If the masks need to be interchangeable without altering Link's profile that one sticks out too much.

Do you make a lot of movesets? I'd be curious to see any other ones you've made. I'd also love to get your thoughts on my Ravio one if you're interested.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Made a scale chart of potential Zelda newcomers.
EDIT: Tweaked Vaati.
1559161327395.png

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'm still hoping we do get a Zelda newcomer. I'd be very happy with Impa, Midna (True Form), or a Champion from Breathe of the Wild.

Darklink46

Smash Apprentice
I have felt that Zelda has needed a new rep for some time. I feel like the arguments against them are too exclusive when the smash series is supposed to be about inclusivity and variety.

Now I think my most wanted would be Midna and Skull Kid. I have what I feel is a good reason for both of these characters to get updated to playable status. We currently have the triforce trio, although Ganondorf is still a bit questionable. Therefore I think you have to look into TYPES of characters to find new additions.

Firstly, with Midna, I don’t think just the fact that she is a fan favourite character is quite enough. However when you consider her character type, she becomes a sensible representative of the Zelda series. For over a good half of the Zelda series lifetime (from OoT right up to SS), companion characters were a key part of the series. Midna is the fan favourite of those characters (you only need to look at the reaction to her reveal in Hyrule Warriors to confirm that). I would say players loved Navi more but then she doesn’t have a viable moveset of any kind, so Midna is the best choice.

Secondly, while I understand Skull Kid isn’t as widely popular as Midna, again his type of character (at least from MM) is a key staple of the series for some time: I.e the secondary villain. I would agree that Vaati would actually be a better choice for this type of character, however I understand that there are issues surrounding the rights to his human likeness, so Skull Kid is the next best choice. Another reason Skull Kid would make sense is that he has actually appeared in multiple titles in the series (OoT, MM and TP. I’m fairly certain it was confirmed by Aonuma that the three appearances were actually the same Skull Kid).

I know there are other people with different thoughts on new reps, such as the champions from BOTW. I actually would think a representative from each of the races would be a great idea. I mean we got Bowser Jr. with the Koopalings skins, so I don’t see why we couldn’t have Daruk with a Darunia/Darmani/Darbus and possibly generic Goron skin. We could have Mipha with a Ruto/Lulu and a generic Zora skin. The other two champions are a little bit harder to work with, although Urbosa could have a Nabooru skin n possibly a generic Geraldo skin from OoT and MM. In my opinion, Revali is the hardest of the champions to work with, at least from a variety standpoint as the Rito have only appeared in two games in the series (WW and BOTW). Perhaps Revali with a generic Rito skin from WW and BOTW, Quill could be used as a skin as well.

On a different note, while I hear the argument from people who say if you change Ganondorf, players will be sad that his moveset has disappeared but one solution which I think is reasonable (and has been suggested multiple times now) would be to apply his moveset to a new character (possibly a villain from F-zero, although I’m not familiar with that franchise I will admit) and then work on Ganondorf from scratch.

Sorry for the wall of text but I’ve felt disappointed by the Zelda representation in Smash for some time now. I felt burned when I bought both Wii U and 3DS with no new playable characters from my favourite series. I haven’t even picked up SSBU yet for this exact reason. Hopefully, this is something that can be rectified in the future.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
On a different note, while I hear the argument from people who say if you change Ganondorf, players will be sad that his moveset has disappeared but one solution which I think is reasonable (and has been suggested multiple times now) would be to apply his moveset to a new character (possibly a villain from F-zero, although I’m not familiar with that franchise I will admit) and then work on Ganondorf from scratch.
The problem with this is that, if the Smash team considered this to be enough, they would have done it back in Brawl. But they're clearly avoiding the possibility of upsetting players who like Ganondorf the way he is. Hence, I proposed a compromise on the first page of this thread, where we instead get a second playable version of Ganon without replacing the first (like Wind Waker Ganondorf or Pig Ganon from the top down 2D entries).

I sympathize with being bummed that Zelda hasn't had a new character since Brawl, or Melee if you don't count Toon Link since he's a semi clone. I personally just want some kind of unique version of Ganon to play as and I'd be set, but I'd appreciate Midna as well.

Darklink46

Smash Apprentice
“The problem with this is that, if the Smash team considered this to be enough, they would have done it back in Brawl. But they're clearly avoiding the possibility of upsetting players who like Ganondorf the way he is. Hence, I proposed a compromise on the first page of this thread, where we instead get a second playable version of Ganon without replacing the first (like Wind Waker Ganondorf or Pig Ganon from the top down 2D entries).”

Sorry, I couldn’t get the quote function to work on my phone. I don’t go on many forums anyway so that probably doesn’t help me XD.

While I do see that side of things, I really do, the fact that they changed Ganondorf’s smash attacks to incorporate a sword would suggest they’re not completely adverse to changing him. I mean, have you seen what some of the modding communities have done with Ganondorf? He glides (a la OoT), he lets loose magic energy balls (like his tennis matches with Link almost every game in the series. It just seems like there’s a great wealth of lore to use for Ganondorf but it’s ignored. I still think the solution I mentioned makes the most sense, as that way, the people who like Ganondorf as he is don’t lose the moveset they enjoy but Zelda fans get a character they can truly call their own.

My only problems with having pig ganon as a character would be we end up with two of the same character yet again and we’d still have a Ganondorf who isn’t based on his series. I mean, why didn’t Link or Ganondorf get a skyward strike as one of their moves. There’s not even a Demise skin for Ganondorf which is incredible seeing he was the one who created the Demon King in his image. I wonder if it’s because Demise only ever fought with Ghirahim as a sword so it’d be strange if he was a melee fighter like Ganondorf currently is.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
There’s not even a Demise skin for Ganondorf which is incredible seeing he was the one who created the Demon King in his image. I wonder if it’s because Demise only ever fought with Ghirahim as a sword so it’d be strange if he was a melee fighter like Ganondorf currently is.
Demise has a completely different body type that doesn't map to Ganondorf's skeleton.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Sorry, I couldn’t get the quote function to work on my phone. I don’t go on many forums anyway so that probably doesn’t help me XD.
That's fine! On Smashboards at least, just click on Reply on the bottom right of a post, it will quote the entire post for you automatically, after which you can respond to it.

While I do see that side of things, I really do, the fact that they changed Ganondorf’s smash attacks to incorporate a sword would suggest they’re not completely adverse to changing him. I mean, have you seen what some of the modding communities have done with Ganondorf? He glides (a la OoT), he lets loose magic energy balls (like his tennis matches with Link almost every game in the series. It just seems like there’s a great wealth of lore to use for Ganondorf but it’s ignored. I still think the solution I mentioned makes the most sense, as that way, the people who like Ganondorf as he is don’t lose the moveset they enjoy but Zelda fans get a character they can truly call their own.

My only problems with having pig ganon as a character would be we end up with two of the same character yet again and we’d still have a Ganondorf who isn’t based on his series. I mean, why didn’t Link or Ganondorf get a skyward strike as one of their moves. There’s not even a Demise skin for Ganondorf which is incredible seeing he was the one who created the Demon King in his image. I wonder if it’s because Demise only ever fought with Ghirahim as a sword so it’d be strange if he was a melee fighter like Ganondorf currently is.
Well, they are completely averse to changing Ganondorf's special moves, only adjusting the function of his Melee side special. Specials are the biggest indicator of how a characrer plays so the development team won't change those even as they give Ganondorf the Spaceworld 2000 tech demo sword. I am aware of how cool fan movesets and mods could be, but it isn't that hard to be cooler than "Ganondorf with Captain Falcon's attacks" in the first place.

I, personally, would be eternally grateful should the development team take time and resources solely to adding a second playable Ganon who isn't a clone of anyone. Yeah, it'd be weird to still have Ocarina of Time Ganondorf who doesn't use the abilities he's known for using in that game, but the thing is that going out of the way to add a "rectified" version of an existing character is already going above and beyond. Most of us are extremely pessimistic that it would ever happen, so, if by chance it did, then I would be too over the moon to care all that much that Falcondorf has stuck around.

As for Demise, I would be fine if one of Ganondorf's recolors referenced Demise's color scheme, but Demise's build is too wide and stocky to be a full fledged alternate costume like Alph was. Plus, well, I dont like Demise so it doesn't bother me that much.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d on that last point.

Last edited:

Darklink46

Smash Apprentice
Well, they are completely averse to changing Ganondorf's special moves, only adjusting the function of his Melee side special. Specials are the biggest indicator of how a characrer plays so the development team won't change those even as they give Ganondorf the Spaceworld 2000 tech demo sword. I am aware of how cool fan movesets and mods could be, but it isn't that hard to be cooler than "Ganondorf with Captain Falcon's attacks" in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it wouldn’t be that hard to beat his current design but I would be of the opinion that if it’s so easy to do better than the current design, that would make rectifying the design make sense. Especially after Hyrule Warriors did such a great job with Ganondorf.

As for Demise, I would be fine if one of Ganondorf's recolors referenced Demise's color scheme, but Demise's build is too wide and stocky to be a full fledged alternate costume like Alph was. Plus, well, I dont like Demise so it doesn't bother me that much.
Edit: :ultgreninja:'d on that last point.[/QUOTE]

I mean if I’m completely honest, I don’t like Demise either. He felt rather like a retcon of Ganondorf’s origin which I thought made a mess of an established character. (Sorry going a bit off topic). I think it probably because I’m thinking more of a comparison between Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf and Demise as that Ganondorf is much more bulky. Forgive my ignorance of the inner workings of Ganondorf in smash. I think because I’m not a programmer or anything, I would just imagine that it would be as simple as alph or the koopalings. Yeah, if his body wouldn’t fit over the Ganondorf skeleton, I would certainly agree that maybe a colour alt would be best.

One of the things that peeves me a little about SSBU is how they were saying “isn’t it amazing we have 3 Links in one game” and all I was thinking was but Hyrule Warriors did that 1st technically. I think maybe in some ways I’ve been a bit spoiled with the Hyrule Warriors roster and so that’s why the representation of Zelda in Smash upsets me.

I think another reason Skull Kid show that he would be a popular addition would be the reaction Nintendo got when they announced Young Link and TINGLE for Hyrule Warriors instead of Skull Kid (and then they fairly quickly rectified that with later dlc)

Thank you for the calm, collected and reasonable responses. I’m so used to inflammation being all too quick to rise on forums.

Top Bottom