• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Legend of Zelda Rep Support Thread

StormC

Smash Hero
I kinda feel like the ship has sailed on Tingle but after Ganon and Impa he’s probably the most notable character left in the franchise.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Majora's Mask was major and Skull Kid was playable in Warriors so I'd say he's notable as well (not to mention the Mask makes an appearance in ALBW, and the Skull Kid in TP may or may not be the same one or a descendant).

StormC

Smash Hero
When was the last time Tingle was in a game other than Warriors?
Mainline game-wise, Minish Cap, but he had two DS spin-offs in 2006 and 2009 respectively. Tingle is probably a lost cause unless he somehow gets a K. Rool-level campaign behind him.

Majora's Mask was major and Skull Kid was playable in Warriors so I'd say he's notable as well (not to mention the Mask makes an appearance in ALBW, and the Skull Kid in TP may or may not be the same one or a descendant).
Skull Kid is only notable in the context of Majora's Mask being critically acclaimed and beloved by fans, not how the character is portrayed in the actual franchise. The game also wasn't really a "major" title upon release, at least in the context of the Zelda series and the N64; it didn't even hit the top 10 N64 titles in units sold. When the game came out it didn't have the reputation it does now; it took years of re-evaluation and revisiting for it to have that sort of clout. I say this as someone who has Majora's Mask as his favorite Zelda games and in his top 10 on a good day.

As for Skull Kid himself, he's an NPC antagonist without a proper boss fight who can only be said to definitively appear in one mainline title. Most of his importance comes from fan support, not his legacy within the Zelda IP. Nothing separates him from characters like Ghirahim or Zant other than popularity.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Mainline game-wise, Minish Cap, but he had two DS spin-offs in 2006 and 2009 respectively. Tingle is probably a lost cause unless he somehow gets a K. Rool-level campaign behind him.

Skull Kid is only notable in the context of Majora's Mask being critically acclaimed and beloved by fans, not how the character is portrayed in the actual franchise. The game also wasn't really a "major" title upon release, at least in the context of the Zelda series and the N64; it didn't even hit the top 10 N64 titles in units sold. When the game came out it didn't have the reputation it does now; it took years of re-evaluation and revisiting for it to have that sort of clout. I say this as someone who has Majora's Mask as his favorite Zelda games and in his top 10 on a good day.

As for Skull Kid himself, he's an NPC antagonist without a proper boss fight who can only be said to definitively appear in one mainline title. Most of his importance comes from fan support, not his legacy within the Zelda IP. Nothing separates him from characters like Ghirahim or Zant other than popularity.
Wow lol its like you took all the things I think about Skull Kid and put them down but better. I mean I still love the guy and think he'd be fun, but people seriously overplay his importance.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I mean, I know Skull Kid is basically a one-off, but it is at least canon that he's the same Skull Kid you play Saria's Song to in Ocarina of Time, and he came back in Warriors (even if it took another release or something).

I realize he's not really important outside of MM...I guess I just like him 'cause of his personality, design, and the whole forest thing.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I mean, I know Skull Kid is basically a one-off, but it is at least canon that he's the same Skull Kid you play Saria's Song to in Ocarina of Time, and he came back in Warriors (even if it took another release or something).

I realize he's not really important outside of MM...I guess I just like him 'cause of his personality, design, and the whole forest thing.
No arguments there, and while I don't think Warriors will probably factor into anything as far as Smash is concerned I think it does show who Nintendo thinks are popular Zelda characters.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So just to kick off some Zelda related speculation, what does everyone think the rumored Zelda project coming next year is?

I've heard rumors that they might be porting ALBW to Switch or that it will use the BotW engine again similar to MM and OoT (which also had two years between them). Sounds like the only thing deconfirmed is that it is not a SS port.

And then to bring it back to Smash, how could this effect DLC (if at all)?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So just to kick off some Zelda related speculation, what does everyone think the rumored Zelda project coming next year is?

I've heard rumors that they might be porting ALBW to Switch or that it will use the BotW engine again similar to MM and OoT (which also had two years between them). Sounds like the only thing deconfirmed is that it is not a SS port.

well if they are making another zelda whatever it is i will get it

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman

Four Swords HD

Rainami

Smash Rookie
I'm a massive ghirahim fangirl, and honestly, if ghirahim can't be playable, then I'd rather not have any new zelda character be playable. None of them are any more deserving of getting in than him, so having one make the cut would be like rubbing salt in the wound.

I'm dreading smash 6, when we inevitably get some zelda representative I don't care about, thereby applying aforementioned salt.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

I feel like the most likely thing is BotW 2 ala MM like you mentioned. It's too soon for any entirely new Zelda game, and with how amazingly well received BotW was, it'd be criminal to not use the engine again. If that is the case (I hope to god it is) then we could be seeing a BotW character in Smash? Whether it's from actual BotW, or a new character for the sequel, it'd be a good way to promote it. One of the Champions being in Smash has always been a good idea in my book. Urbosa or Mipha seem like the best choices, especially if they continue to have a prominent role in the next game.

I'm a massive ghirahim fangirl, and honestly, if ghirahim can't be playable, then I'd rather not have any new zelda character be playable. None of them are any more deserving of getting in than him, so having one make the cut would be like rubbing salt in the wound.

I'm dreading smash 6, when we inevitably get some zelda representative I don't care about, thereby applying aforementioned salt.
It always surprises me how many girls are on this website other than me, I'm not used to that when talking about smash lmao. Welcome to the club, sister.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
My idea for Tri Force Heroes Link Trio.
They are kind of like Ice Climbers and they follow each other and follow up each others hits but thesse combos are not hard to escape. Their final smash is a triple tri force slash

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My idea for Tri Force Heroes Link Trio.
They are kind of like Ice Climbers and they follow each other and follow up each others hits but thesse combos are not hard to escape. Their final smash is a triple tri force slash
id always pictured them in the totem form all the time

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

I don't think it will outside a few promotional spirits. Reggie implied the DLC would be third party.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I don't think it will outside a few promotional spirits. Reggie implied the DLC would be third party.
I don't think he actually implied anything about 3rd party. He just said Joker is a good indicator for the direction they're going in, which could mean any number of things.

StormC

Smash Hero

Genuinely think Smash 6 will come and go without a Zelda newcomer unless the fans rally behind one character, like K. Rool and Ridley fans.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Imagine if Zelda got as many reps as Fire Emblem every game. That would be the best timeline.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
It's pretty sad how wanting a newcomer from Zelda, one of Nintendo's biggest IPs, after 17 years of nothing feels like I'm asking for characters like Shrek or Spongebob. I feel stupid for ever thinking Skull Kid had a chance with Sakurai running things. Gotta make sure Marth get's another playable skin added instead.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's pretty sad how wanting a newcomer from Zelda, one of Nintendo's biggest IPs, after 17 years of nothing feels like I'm asking for characters like Shrek or Spongebob. I feel stupid for ever thinking Skull Kid had a chance with Sakurai running things. Gotta make sure Marth get's another playable skin added instead.
Because Skull Kid and Chrom would totally take up the same amount of time and resources.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
He probably would actually considering Sakurai's penchant for making Zelda villains clones of space racers.
We only have one space racer on the roster, though... but now I have the mental image of Skull Kid throwing a Falcon Punch where the Moon flies out of his fist and clocks some poor sucker right in the face. I can't stop laughing, send help.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
We only have one space racer on the roster, though... but now I have the mental image of Skull Kid throwing a Falcon Punch where the Moon flies out of his fist and clocks some poor sucker right in the face. I can't stop laughing, send help.
Yeah well see if you can keep laughing after 17 years x(

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Yeah well see if you can keep laughing after 17 years x(

I can laugh forever, the image is stuck forever, imagine Epona doing falcon punch, IIII CANT STOP

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I compiled a quick list of characters I want that haven't been explicitly deconfirmed via Spiriting.
1545625104850.png

Vaati and Ganon's there since multiple incarnations are fair game. (Also I'm just surprised that 2D Ganon isn't a Spirit. Seriously, give K Rool a Staff and make him spam Side B and you'll have a perfectly good representation of 2D Ganon swinging and tossing his trident. It's even more glaring since Zelda's based on her classic design and Aghanim is a Spirit)

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I compiled a quick list of characters I want that haven't been explicitly deconfirmed via Spiriting.
View attachment 184122
Vaati and Ganon's there since multiple incarnations are fair game. (Also I'm just surprised that 2D Ganon isn't a Spirit. Seriously, give K Rool a Staff and make him spam Side B and you'll have a perfectly good representation of 2D Ganon swinging and tossing his trident. It's even more glaring since Zelda's based on her classic design and Aghanim is a Spirit)
That's a good list and all, but spirits don't disconfirm characters.

D

Deleted member

I'm hoping for either Impa or Linkle, liked them in Hyrule Warriors. Would like Linkle even more if she integrated cuccos to her moveset :b

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I don't think we can actually say one way or the other until we start seeing DLC roll in.
We can't say anything for sure really, but considering the overwhelming evidence that says Spirits mean almost nothing is a little ridiculous. Pit (original) is a spirit, not a fighter spirit. Any spirit already in the game could easily get parentheses added to it if necessary, and even if the character only has one appearance or one concept art, it's not like fighter spirits have to be concept art. Pokemon Trainer and Cloud don't have concept art for their fighter spirits. Trophies didn't disconfirm characters back in Smash 4, why should Spirits do that now? They don't even have to remove the spirits with stats or cause any problems, because the Mewtwo/Lucas trophy never got removed or even renamed either.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
We can't say anything for sure really, but considering the overwhelming evidence that says Spirits mean almost nothing is a little ridiculous. Pit (original) is a spirit, not a fighter spirit. Any spirit already in the game could easily get parentheses added to it if necessary, and even if the character only has one appearance or one concept art, it's not like fighter spirits have to be concept art. Pokemon Trainer and Cloud don't have concept art for their fighter spirits. Trophies didn't disconfirm characters back in Smash 4, why should Spirits do that now? They don't even have to remove the spirits with stats or cause any problems, because the Mewtwo/Lucas trophy never got removed or even renamed either.
Wii Fit Trainer's Fighter Spirit is also the Smash render.

D

Deleted member

Its too early to say if spirits equal a no-go as there has only been a dlc character confirmed yet and its 3rd party. There is also a lack of info regarding if we are getting more spirits as DLC, considering that the DLC characters may have spirit battles as well.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I don't think he actually implied anything about 3rd party. He just said Joker is a good indicator for the direction they're going in, which could mean any number of things.
He said about Smash no longer being just Nintendo and being a celebration of gaming as a whole, that sounds like 3rd party to me.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
He said about Smash no longer being just Nintendo and being a celebration of gaming as a whole, that sounds like 3rd party to me.
I read that article. I think the quote was taken out of context for clickbait and he said practically nothing about 3rd party possibilities.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am here to express my want for Impa. We've had the perfect oppertunity for her to appear in Smash 4, or as a Echo in Ultimate. Yet both didn't happen. And that really sucks because they easily could've skipped Daisy or Dark Samus for Impa, because Mario and Metroid got a unique newcomer in the end. Plus, Zelda is way more popular than Metroid in general, and Dark Samus is literally dead and likely won't come back ever. Daisy won't ever appear outside of Mario spin-off games either. So why we stuck with them? Richter never appeared on a Nintendo system either...

The Ganon boss battle was great. And I think it did a great deal for new Zelda content that isn't a character. Young Link is also back... :ultyounglink: And that, coupled with the much needed revamps of the main cast; :ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf: was already a lot more love than we've gotten in a long time. A newcomer is still long overdue though. And am hoping it's gonna be Impa, because she's the most important and most likely to ever return in newer games.

Where was this said? I've seen the quote before, but where is the soure? I need it for full closure of my hopes.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Richter never appeared on a Nintendo system either....
Rondo Of Blood got an SNES "port" called Dracula X. He's also in Portrait Of Ruin.

As for why we didn't get Impa, my guess is Sakurai didn't want to change her proportions too much to make that work. SS Impa is too lanky to fit over Sheik, HW Impa is closer but still slightly taller:

Impa would probably be my first choice for an echo fighter that didn't make the roster though. At least out of first party ones.

Top Bottom