• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Legend of Zelda Rep Support Thread

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Rondo Of Blood got an SNES "port" called Dracula X. He's also in Portrait Of Ruin.

As for why we didn't get Impa, my guess is Sakurai didn't want to change her proportions too much to make that work. SS Impa is too lanky to fit over Sheik, HW Impa is closer but still slightly taller:

Impa would probably be my first choice for an echo fighter that didn't make the roster though. At least out of first party ones.
Daisy is slightly shorter than Peach, though. This really shouldn't be a problem. Sakurai just didn't want to, I guess.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Daisy is slightly shorter than Peach, though. This really shouldn't be a problem. Sakurai just didn't want to, I guess.
I can see why Isabelle and Ken would get the favor of having a "similar but unique enough" approach over Impa. Impa would also probably share some similarities with Ike and Cloud most likely. And even if Hyrule Warriors did awesomely well, I'm affraid we where just hurt by the BotW Impa role and design. Which wasn't a big problem, but the BotW team didn't even bother to make a Young Impa for the past cutscenes, and that could've been our saving grace...

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Based on his appearance in Zelda 1/LttP/Other Classic Zeldas, he wields a trident and uses lots of magic. As the beast king of all things evil, he'd almost certainly be one of the heaviest characters, using lots of slow, hard-hitting moves, but also have several projectiles, and a teleport as his recovery/dodges. Think of a combination of K Rool/Mewtwo/Zelda/Ganondorf.

Possible moveset ideas:
Up B: Teleport.
Side B: Trident Boomerang (an amazing stage control projectile similar to K Rool's crown but bigger, but without it, ganon can't use any of his trident-based attacks, giving him way less range until it returns to him. It can't fall on the ground like the crown, though.)
Down B: Fire Bats (they fly around him and are generally annoying.)
Neutral B: Darkness (ganon pulls up his cape, allowing him to become invisible momentarily. He can still be hit during this, but it's hard to see him. Due to his large hitbox it's not hard to hit him if you figure out where he is, and hitting him cancels the move early. Can be used for surprise attacks.)
A fourth Link, yes, but a more Unique one. Instead of being a clone of the other three, he would have a completely original moveset based off of Zelda 1, LttP, OoA, OoS, and L'sA.

Possible moveset ideas:
Up B: Roc's Feather/Cape (self explanatory), Moosh Summon/Ride (summon Moosh from OoA/OoS, and fly upwards, then smash into the ground)
Side B: Pegasus Boots (functionally similar to Ike's side-b),
Down B: Shovel (can pull up items/rupees from the ground, which can be used as a projectile occasionally), Bombs (instead of holding them, they're just placed on the ground more like Samus' Down B)
Neutral B: Magic Rod/Fire Rod/Ice Rod (fires a projectile forward, not chargeable, sets people on fire/freezes them for a bit), Candle (acts like a shield/wall in front of you)

Another idea is his Down B could let him equip things, and his Side B/Neutral B would act like an A and B button in the classic zelda games, so any of his items could be a side b or a neutral b depending on how you equip them.
A fourth Link, but a very unique one. Based off of Majora's mask, he uses the three forms (Deku/Goron/Zora Link) from that game interchangeably.

The primary way people suggest this is as a Pokemon Trainer type character, where Down B is a mask-switch move. Alternatively, he could be Link most of the time, but for almost all of his moves, he switches forms instantly to do a move. For example, he runs around as Link, but transforms into Deku Link for Up B (popping out of a flower), Goron Link for Side B (goron roll), etc. This would include his normals and aerials, too. The final smash is obviously Fierce Deity Link.
Tetra
TP Link
Triforce Heroes Link Trio
Hero's Shade (Twilight Princess)
I'm surprised no one's brought up Toon Zelda yet?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What's super weird to me is that the Tetra spirit evolves into the Toon Zelda from spirit tracks, for some godforsaken reason.
well the spirits of the oracle din and nyaru were more similar to the goddess version so maybe they forgot to do some research

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well, since this is a new thread, I'll just bring up the topic of this thread again.

So what do y'all think of the idea of one-shot characters getting in Smash? Is it realistic? Is it something you want despite it not being realistic at all?

StormC

Smash Hero
Well, since this is a new thread, I'll just bring up the topic of this thread again.

So what do y'all think of the idea of one-shot characters getting in Smash? Is it realistic? Is it something you want despite it not being realistic at all?
It’s something that I think will only happen if the character can be an easy clone or if there is intense demand (Ridley/K. Rool level).

I personally would rather see other characters before we dig into one-offs.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
What's super weird to me is that the Tetra spirit evolves into the Toon Zelda from spirit tracks, for some godforsaken reason.
What? No she doesn't. Tetra evolves into Wind Waker Zelda. Phantom evolves into Spirit Tracks Zelda.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I personally would rather see other characters before we dig into one-offs.
Other characters from Zelda or just other characters? For the former, you need to remember that all the recurring characters are non-fighters.

Non-fighters can't exactly be promoted to fighters in Smash unless they are full-on main characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
Other characters from Zelda or just other characters? For the former, you need to remember that all the recurring characters are non-fighters.

Non-fighters can't exactly be promoted to fighters in Smash unless they are full-on main characters.
Kinda both. I can think of many Nintendo characters who I want to see in than random one-off NPC flavor of the week characters. I don’t think we need these types of characters just to arbitrarily inflate the Zelda roster because the games sell a lot.

Zelda-wise, I’d like to see classic Ganon and Impa as a Sheik echo. I’d be fine with Tingle or Vaati too but they’re never happening.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Pre Brawl, I wanted Midna. Possibly linked with Wolf Link. I also wanted Toon Link we all dubbed him ‘Wind Waker Link’ at that time, and we got him.

Pre Smash 4, I wanted Impa mostly. But wasn’t opposed to Ghirahim either. The Robin and Lucina double reveal made me thirst for a double Zelda reveal, possibly playing out the cutscene where Impa and Ghirahim face off.

Pre Ultimate I of course still wanted Impa of course. But wouldn’t be opposed to a Champion either, outside of Mipha cause she’s more boring than the rest IMO.

We might maybe get Ganon next time? That Boss battle made me want him more honestly!

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
This is such a missed opportunity. We have 3 Links, 2 Zeldas, and a Falcondorf. My choices for Zelda Newcomers (and no, they are not CDI Link and 8 Bit Link) are Skull Kid, Revali, Impa, and Mipha. I think all of them would make really cool fighters. And NO, Impa would not make a good Sheik echo. This character deserves to be unique.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is such a missed opportunity. We have 3 Links, 2 Zeldas, and a Falcondorf. My choices for Zelda Newcomers (and no, they are not CGI Link and 8 Bit Link) are Skull Kid, Revali, Impa, and Mipha. I think all of them would make really cool fighters. And NO, Impa would not make a good Sheik echo. This character deserves to be unique.
I agree Impa should be unique honestly. Yet, the whole problem with her lies in how she was presented in Breath of the Wild. If they would've swapped the roles of Skyward Sword Impa and Breath of the Wild Impa, we surely would've had her as a newcomer right now, without a question.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I agree Impa should be unique honestly. Yet, the whole problem with her lies in how she was presented in Breath of the Wild. If they would've swapped the roles of Skyward Sword Impa and Breath of the Wild Impa, we surely would've had her as a newcomer right now, without a question.
Seems the best hope is for Impa to switch back to her younger self for the next game. She'd be a good tutorial/beginning character like the Old Man or playing a Sheik like role, giving you acess to the fast travel when she shows up.

In terms of Echos, I'm still holding out hope for Hilda.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seems the best hope is for Impa to switch back to her younger self for the next game. She'd be a good tutorial/beginning character like the Old Man or playing a Sheik like role, giving you acess to the fast travel when she shows up.

In terms of Echos, I'm still holding out hope for Hilda.
Impa has the possibilities for this easily. Since Breath of the Wild is the direction the franchise is going for now, it's likely they keep the Sheikah theme around. And since Breath of the Wild is sort of the disclosure of all timelines, it's likely a new game will take place prior to it, and thus is far more likely to have a Young Impa in it. I hope the game also adresses the rivalry between the Sheikah and Yiga, and maybe even have a war between them? I dunno.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It seems weird to me that Fire Emblem can always get its newest character but Zelda can't. For reference, the best selling Fire Emblem game sold 2.5 million (though this was Fates that had 2 games). The worst selling Zelda games do at least 3 million. Even if the character is in only one game, it would be better as more people know who that character is. Hell, Breath of the Wild sold over 10 million yet can't seem to get a character. Zelda also had more potential for interesting characters to boot.

I'd rather Zelda get the Fire Emblem treatment. Any Zelda addition would be good.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I said this in the Impa thread, but I think the fact that Metroid got 2 newcomers this time is a good thing for things to come. I mean, Dark Samus isn't exactly a one-off, but she won't appear in newer games am sure. It's weird how she was picked before Impa as a Echo Fighter honestly. Especially cause Ridley also joined.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I said this in the Impa thread, but I think the fact that Metroid got 2 newcomers this time is a good thing for things to come. I mean, Dark Samus isn't exactly a one-off, but she won't appear in newer games am sure. It's weird how she was picked before Impa as a Echo Fighter honestly. Especially cause Ridley also joined.
Sakurai doesn't want to add a Zelda character if its not the Triforce trio. Every character has been Link, Zelda or Ganondorf.

What is odd is this is done in spite of a Zelda character being requested each game. For Brawl, it was Midna, for Smash 4 it was Ghirahim and Impa, for Ultimate, it was Skull Kid. There has always been this latent demand for Zelda characters and the series has enough characters to boot. All of these characters can be interesting in their own right. There is nothing stopping Zelda from being like Fire Emblem, getting the newest character from the series. It would probably go over better with the fanbase as Zelda characters tend to be more interesting and Zelda's sales justify it getting a ton of characters. It's really been Sakurai's dumb self imposed rules that prevent Zelda from getting characters.

Personally, there is a better chance of a Zelda character now with Nintendo picking the characters. By the by, Kirby has the exact same problem.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I see Impa as the Isabelle to Villager's Sheik. Anyhow, we need more characters and it'd be nice to see at least one newcomer who isn't one of the Triforce Trio. My Impa of choice would be Skyward Sword Impa. The whip could come back as Side Special and be based on the SS whip.

Piranha Plant has paved the way for other generic characters and I'm starting to think that a generic character would get in before a named character. My choice for generic character is Moblin, but I have an affinity towards the bulldog design like the one seen in OOT.

The Zelda newcomer I'd really like to see is Ganon. I liked seeing him in 3D before he was merged with Yuga. There are players who've been wanting Ganondorf to have a moveset that is more canonical. Ganon could be that character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I see Impa as the Isabelle to Villager's Sheik. Anyhow, we need more characters and it'd be nice to see at least one newcomer who isn't one of the Triforce Trio. My Impa of choice would be Skyward Sword Impa. The whip could come back as Side Special and be based on the SS whip.

Piranha Plant has paved the way for other generic characters and I'm starting to think that a generic character would get in before a named character. My choice for generic character is Moblin, but I have an affinity towards the bulldog design like the one seen in OOT.

The Zelda newcomer I'd really like to see is Ganon. I liked seeing him in 3D before he was merged with Yuga. There are players who've been wanting Ganondorf to have a moveset that is more canonical. Ganon could be that character.
Isabelle and Villager is a good comparison. However, Isabelle is still a bit too cloney for my taste. Doesn't matter much though, I get what you are saying. Ideally, it'd be more like Wolf / Fox or Ness / Lucas, but honestly even a Echo of Impa would satisfy me now. I was quite certain she would get in when I saw that all the Zelda characters where not based off one design. It gave more room for Impa, as I think she missed the boat in 4 because all of the Zelda cast, outside of Toon Link, where based of Twilight Princess. Now, Skyward Sword is the only 3D Zelda game to have never featured a playable character in any Smash game. That despite having a stage and music and even ITEMS from the game.

Skyward Sword Impa is also definitely my choice. But Hyrule Warriors Impa would also make me really happy. But yeah, I really doubt they would go for that version... Unless Hyrule Warriors 2 comes out. Which should have reasonable chances, as the game sold really well and is very popular, and has been ported even twice now.

Moveset wise, Impa could potentially use the Sheikah Slate's magic attacks. As the Yiga Clan leader Kogha also could use Magnesis, I see no reason that Impa also wouldn't be able to use those attacks. Statis, Magnesis, Cryonis, even the Bombs could all be used for Specials. She could also use a Sheikah weapon as found in Breath of the Wild.

As for generic enemies like Mr.Plant :ultpiranha:; I think Zelda would get a Bokoblin first. They are common enemies all over Zelda, rather popular because of Breath of the Wild, got a amiibo, they are hugely comical, and probably a series mainstay. I wouldn't exactly like it, but it's possible.

Ganon is also a character I would really love to see. Seeing him as a Boss in Ultimate made me want him even more. It also makes me miss the Ocarina of Time Ganon design, as it's real solid. It's also cool how Sakurai made references to other final boss fights with Ocarina of Time Ganon, like him shooting a laser out of his mouth, which is a reference to Calamity Ganon, and shooting out the electric energy, which is a reference to Demise. I want this exact Ganon playable. If they can scale down Ridley, they can scale down Ganon.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Obviously what we need is another Zelda and 2 more Ganons, so we can have the tri-triforce.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Tetra is probably my most wanted unique Zelda character followed by Skull Kid. I'd also like if we got a Zelda clone in the form of Hilda or Toon Zelda.

StormC

Smash Hero
It seems weird to me that Fire Emblem can always get its newest character but Zelda can't. For reference, the best selling Fire Emblem game sold 2.5 million (though this was Fates that had 2 games). The worst selling Zelda games do at least 3 million. Even if the character is in only one game, it would be better as more people know who that character is. Hell, Breath of the Wild sold over 10 million yet can't seem to get a character. Zelda also had more potential for interesting characters to boot.

I'd rather Zelda get the Fire Emblem treatment. Any Zelda addition would be good.
Fire Emblem gets leading playable protagonists (with Lucina and Chrom as echoes). People here are advocating for side characters and villains. So basically for it to be equivalent you’d be asking for more Links.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fire Emblem gets leading playable protagonists (with Lucina and Chrom as echoes). People here are advocating for side characters and villains. So basically for it to be equivalent you’d be asking for more Links.
Which we kinda even got... :ultyounglink: He's not new by any means. But literally nobody expected him to be back. There is also the Ganon boss battle, and the rework done to :ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:. Zelda has received way more love now than it did in Smash 4. Though, it's starting to look a little empty on the roster.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Which we kinda even got... :ultyounglink: He's not new by any means. But literally nobody expected him to be back. There is also the Ganon boss battle, and the rework done to :ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:. Zelda has received way more love now than it did in Smash 4. Though, it's starting to look a little empty on the roster.
i think a fair number of people said they voted for him on the ballot as with the other cut veterans which would probably be why everyone is here

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
i think a fair number of people said they voted for him on the ballot as with the other cut veterans which would probably be why everyone is here
Cut veterans am sure of did extremely well on the ballot King K.Rool, Ridley, Inklings, Chrom, Simon Belmont, Isabelle and even Daisy are also no brainers. Dark Samus was sort of the sleeping pick for Metroid fans because some thought Ridley wouldn't make it. I personally think Snake might've been the most requested character on the ballot. Outcry for him was massive.

Anyway, Impa must've done reasonably well because Hyrule Warriors was HUGE around the ballot times. And Impa is easily the most logical pick from that game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Cut veterans am sure of did extremely well on the ballot King K.Rool, Ridley, Inklings, Chrom, Simon Belmont, Isabelle and even Daisy are also no brainers. Dark Samus was sort of the sleeping pick for Metroid fans because some thought Ridley wouldn't make it. I personally think Snake might've been the most requested character on the ballot. Outcry for him was massive.

Anyway, Impa must've done reasonably well because Hyrule Warriors was HUGE around the ballot times. And Impa is easily the most logical pick from that game.
well we have seen polls asking the fans who they voted for and impa usually does quite well, of course how that would relate to the actual ballot we have no idea

really all we can do is try and drum up more support if they could change his mind about ridley then maybe we can convince him of any one

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
So much wasted potential with Zelda in Smash. And it all seems to be because of a dumb rule that only the main 3 are worthy or something.

The roster should be this:
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf (OoT moveset)
Young Link - mask moveset, represents 3 unrepresented Hyrule races
Skull Kid
Toon Link
Midna
Impa (echo)
Tingle

That's not even mentioning characters like Ruto, Darunia, Koume and Kotake, Agahnim, Vaati, Ghirahim, Hilda, Ravio, Medli, Urbosa, Mipha, Daruk, or Revali. So many possibilities.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So much wasted potential with Zelda in Smash. And it all seems to be because of a dumb rule that only the main 3 are worthy or something.

Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf (OoT moveset)
Skull Kid
Toon Link
Midna
Impa (echo)
Tingle

That's not even mentioning characters like Ruto, Darunia, Koume and Kotake, Agahnim, Vaati, Ghirahim, Hilda, Ravio, Medli, Urbosa, Mipha, Daruk, or Revali. So many possibilities.
Holy crap Ravio got mentioned by someone who wasn't me, I could cry.

That said (and I hate to disagree with someone who mentioned Ravio) a few things I would change with yours.
-As 100% cool as a Young Link with Masks would be, if they are going to be transformations similar to Pokemon you need to count them as individual characters, so you're at like 4 right there. If they aren't like Pokemon trainer it might work similar to Corrin but I haven't heard many people suggesting this.
-Tingle and Impa get brought up a lot simply because they are the only other characters with multiple appearances but if you aren't concerned about that I'm not sure Tingle would be the best choice for a slot. If you've seen how he fights in Warriors it shows how little there is to pull from from his minor appearances. Not to mention while having fans in Japan he is widely disliked in the West.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf (OoT moveset)
Skull Kid
Toon Link
Midna
Impa (echo)
Tingle

As much as I like Zelda, this is overkill. I see why Sakurai wouldn't add the likes of Ghirahim, Midna or Zant because of their one-off status. Yet, we still have Sheik around.

I also kinda dislike how you made Impa a Echo when this is a wishful thinking roster. She can easily be unique if they want to. If they wanna make her a Echo, there's still quite a lot that they can do to differenciate her. A Ness / Lucas situation, or Villager / Isabelle is more preferable.

Another thing is Young Link. While the masks would be cool and all, the only way they can justify having 3 Links is having them be somewhat similar, exactly as we have now.

If anything, I would want the Hero of Time implemented. Make him exactly like he was in Melee, but a little better. So basically, a bigger slower Young Link. Another Echo I would really like is Toon Ganondorf. Am not sure how it would work, but I don't really care either way.

Ganon is also obviously missing. After seeing him in action as a Boss, I want him more. The dual swords, magic abilities, and other Ganon(dorf) staple attacks could make for a real interessting character, and maybe finally a heavy weight that could thriump Bowser's top tier heavy weight status.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
i suggest ravio fairly often
Yeah I was mostly exaggerating, but he does seem to frequently get passed over in topics concerning possible Zelda reps considering he is about in the perfect spot for a "relevant" rep with ALBW's release landing just before the SSBU character planning happened.
I also kinda dislike how you made Impa a Echo when this is a wishful thinking roster. She can easily be unique if they want to. If they wanna make her a Echo, there's still quite a lot that they can do to differenciate her. A Ness / Lucas situation, or Villager / Isabelle is more preferable.
I mean I don't think there is a single echo fighter "candidate" who couldn't be a semi-clone if they really wanted, but the whole point is to add someone without needing to make a bunch of changes. And since Sheik basically ripped her entire moveset from Impa, it makes sense that she would work as an echo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom