• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
So... Chaingrabbing advice? Mainly on just keeping cool, I don't try to grab very much with the climbers, so when I do, and get off the first couple throws I get to excited and mess up the timing :(

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Practice them a lot, play in tournaments/friendlies so that you get used to actually performing them in stressful situations.

Ruinn

Smash Ace
which cg should I use; I can do the following:

popo bthrow, nana fthrow
popo bthrow, nana dthrow
popo bthrow, nana bthrow

Also, imo, the best desync is the one vinnie does. it's just one dash dance input and then hitting ice block(neutral b). quick and effective.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Don't use any of those and use Fthrow > Bthrow

"Vinnie's desync" aka like every other high level IC in the world is 3 dash inputs >_>
I've been bugging him to use the 2 dash version

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It's just different because we aren't used to b-throwing with nana. You can't exactly time it with the eye since it's the fastest throw, so you have to just know the timing in your head more than using visual/audio cues.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
LOL. Well to be fair, I hadn't discovered(no one had) that you could just bthrow and turn around grab instantly yet. At this time other IC's just walked with dthrow and fthrow to one end of the stage and spiked them, I came up with this chaingrab as the first way to turn around so I could kill them instead of them DIing the spike or being at too low %.

DeLux

I definitely don't know any of the muscle memory timings and do it purely off of visual cues Esam

Sylarius

Smash Ace
It's just different because we aren't used to b-throwing with nana. You can't exactly time it with the eye since it's the fastest throw, so you have to just know the timing in your head more than using visual/audio cues.
I personally think of what the character's weight is and approximate the timing of the regrab, it gets easier to remember after practice.

Tbh I use bthrow fthrow on really light characters [Squirtle, G&W, MK] and fthrow bthrow on anyone that is heavier than Falco, such as Marth, Diddy, Wario. Only character I have trouble CGing consistently is Snake. :(

EDIT: It's allllll muscle memory, no cues at all for me really. I don't know if they're more consistent but I have a really hard time attempting to use cues and being consistent with them. x.x

Ruinn

Smash Ace
I personally think of what the character's weight is and approximate the timing of the regrab, it gets easier to remember after practice.

Tbh I use bthrow fthrow on really light characters [Squirtle, G&W, MK] and fthrow bthrow on anyone that is heavier than Falco, such as Marth, Diddy, Wario. Only character I have trouble CGing consistently is Snake. :(

EDIT: It's allllll muscle memory, no cues at all for me really. I don't know if they're more consistent but I have a really hard time attempting to use cues and being consistent with them. x.x
hobble snake :cool:

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
i noticed sometimes 9B/kakera squall into peoples shields then do a move immediately after.

how safe is squall on shield?

is it faster to desync out of squall then do a move instead of waiting for squall to finish then doing a move synced?

sometimes i see squall > nana grab/fsmash

lux? please explain

DeLux

Squall is -15 on block

It is faster to desync out of block squall since acting on its IASA has Nana act, followed by Popo some frames later (not sure what frame that is, didn't bother testing)

They probably buffered something

Calvonta "Calvo" parker

Smash Apprentice
I want to learn how to get down Dash Dance desync, but I've been having problems on how to get it down for good. Meaning, I always screw up in an actual match.

Can anyone help me with this problem please?

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
I want to learn how to get down Dash Dance desync, but I've been having problems on how to get it down for good. Meaning, I always screw up in an actual match.

Can anyone help me with this problem please?
Practice doing it for a whole hour straight at the beginning of the week at the end of the week do 2 hours straight, you'll never miss it again.

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
hey, can anyone give me a list of all ice climbers moves disadvantage/advantage on block?

lux, you obviously have one?

thanks.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Does Solo Nana have a cool nickname or is she still just called SoPo?
I was thinking Lonana like Lone Nana but iunno if there's an actual one.
B/W costume da bess.

Question sparked by a match I went Icies in at my last tournament, guys in the same crew as my opponent kept yelling "Kill his b****!" and I kept thinking "lol but I'm nana."

:phone:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Normally we consider popo the one we are controlling....so no. I mean if you want to make it up go ahead, but it probably won't catch on.

Imagine

Smash Rookie
What is the best chaingrab to learn first for a new IC's player. I have been trying to do b-throw to d-throw. Is that a good one to learn?

xzx

Smash Lord
Which frame does Ice Climbers' grab start on? (Nana's grab executes 7 frames later...)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I find Fthrow-Bthrow to be the best cg too. It's much more consistent between different characters as you can easily use visual cues for Bthrows so you don't have to remember the timing much, just watch and you'll know when to time it. It's only harder vs light characters imo. And you don't even trip.

Oh and now to the usual ICs stuff. Most of the time my opponents are afraid because we are so scary and they camp on platforms. If I uair them they will shield most of the time, doing pretty nothing. Is there a certain timing or thing I could do to be more threathening when under platforms? They usually stay in the middle so I cannot platform drop grab them either. This is especially bad vs Wario as I get really impatient after a while and get punished hard.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
I find Fthrow-Bthrow to be the best cg too. It's much more consistent between different characters as you can easily use visual cues for Bthrows so you don't have to remember the timing much, just watch and you'll know when to time it. It's only harder vs light characters imo. And you don't even trip.

Oh and now to the usual ICs stuff. Most of the time my opponents are afraid because we are so scary and they camp on platforms. If I uair them they will shield most of the time, doing pretty nothing. Is there a certain timing or thing I could do to be more threathening when under platforms? They usually stay in the middle so I cannot platform drop grab them either. This is especially bad vs Wario as I get really impatient after a while and get punished hard.
Desync and get creative.
Fullhop Popo Blizz to nana blizz will trap them in shield, and you can grab them in shield stun.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
All right don't think I have ever tried to Bliz in that situation before.
Desync to alternating u-air strings is good shield pressure and will force them into the air (unless they are mk, because they'll GSL OOS and **** you) and basically just use your brain.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If you have time, you could watch the videos I posted on the video thread and see how I could improve it ;)

Anyways desyncing sounds nice yeah. So many uairs in such short time. But really, if they are forced into the air what stops them from just moving to another platform or landing again? That is why I hate it, nothing seems to happen no matter how much I try to poke under the platforms...

DeLux

The fact that characters have landing lag, can't air dodge through platforms, and we run faster (or as fast as in one worst case scenario) than any character moves in the air helps.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ah yes that makes sense. There is very little risk for us and the opponents can end up getting juggled a lot if they screw up? Sounds awesome, just need more practice timing it to catch landings.

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
which cp stages are actually good for IC's and why?

what u guys think of pokemon stadium and lylat for IC's?

does lylat tilting affect dthrow cg timing?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
ICs probably biggest weakness is lack of good stages. We do well only on flat and static stages. FD and BF I think are the best.
I hate Pokemon Stadium so much with Icies. The transforming interrupts the chaingrabs and the transformations make is hard to get grabs either.
Lylat doesn't matter to me as I don't use Dthrow except for Sopo.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
I have a personal hate for PS1 but here are some tips for it:

-D-throw CG them to the white edge of the stage and CG there. transformations won't end the chain grab.
-The leaf transformation is actually good for us. If you stand on the slightly higher parts of the uneven ground, it gives our dash grab pretty crazy vertical range.
-Don't fight on the rock or fire transformations. Just don't. Nearly every character has shenanigans against the wall, and we don't GAIN any shenanigans. Popo gets an endless D-throw, on the off chance you are SoPo.
-I hate the water transformation so badly that I've never looked for anything we can do there.

LYLAT IS MY FAVORITE STAGE EVER BESIDES CASTLE SIEGE.
-We can platform cancel. I seriously don't understand why people don't do this more. If you condition them into airdodging onto the platform, YOU GET A FREE GRAB AND THEY FEEL SUPER UNSAFE, MAKING THEM FEAR YOU MORE.
-Always always ALWAYS be on the side of the stage that is tilted UP. Since you're on a higher ground than them, a lot of aerials are unsafe to throw out. It ****s with MKs spacing on tornado and makes them miss auto cancelling it a lot.
-Our recovery is one of the only ones that Lylat doesn't gimp. Take advantage of that because even though it happens very rarely at high levels, people still don't like the edge on this stage. This means they are MORE LIKELY TO CHOOSE AN OPTION THAT WILL PUT THEM ONSTAGE WHEN RECOVERING.
-Lylat looks cool as ****.

I think Ice Climbers do extremely well on all 7 starter stages. Except maybe PS1, and while people argue about CS, the only character I wouldn't take there is D3.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Good **** Kain! So much stuff I didnt know about... You can only PC on Lylat when it tilts, right?

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Good **** Kain! So much stuff I didnt know about... You can only PC on Lylat when it tilts, right?

Anytime the background isn't changing, you can plat cancel.

Also, it's Saint. d: That's my tag.

And not Kain, I don't play a bad character like Wolf.

Namesearch Kain KAIN KAIN KAIN KAIN Kain Kain, Wolf's bad and I wanna MM to avenge Lux's honor. (;

DeLux

Kain is the only wolf I fear

You should fear him too

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Lmao sorry, was typing on phone so I just had to remember what you were called (johns)
So you can cancel anytime it isn't transforming... o_o
That's incredible, so gonna love Lylat now. You can PC on all the platforms right?

Top Bottom