• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I mean..I thought it was pretty funny lol.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Actually if you switched it to throw blizzard and mixup with IBs, it would be pretty close

soif

Smash Rookie
Hi. I'm trying to learn to chaingrab, and I have some questions:

How long did it take you to be consistent on at least one character? Is it best to practise a bit on every character, or to focus on one until you have the timing down and then move on to another?

Also, when I'm doing a backthrow -> nana regrab, I usually smash back on the control stick and press grab straight away (for the lightweights, at least). Sometimes, when I do this, Nana dashes in the complete opposite direction to what I pressed and grabs. I've tried with two different controllers, so I'm really not sure why this would happen. Any ideas?

And finally, I'm finding all the chains okay apart from the down throw -> regrab. Any tips for this? It just hardly ever seems to work.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Hi. I'm trying to learn to chaingrab, and I have some questions:

How long did it take you to be consistent on at least one character? Is it best to practise a bit on every character, or to focus on one until you have the timing down and then move on to another?

Also, when I'm doing a backthrow -> nana regrab, I usually smash back on the control stick and press grab straight away (for the lightweights, at least). Sometimes, when I do this, Nana dashes in the complete opposite direction to what I pressed and grabs. I've tried with two different controllers, so I'm really not sure why this would happen. Any ideas?

And finally, I'm finding all the chains okay apart from the down throw -> regrab. Any tips for this? It just hardly ever seems to work.
It took me 2 days to learn every CG I know, aside from the Hylian get away from grenades grab. I practiced for 3 hours each of those days, and could semi-consistently kill every character in the game, even though I hobbled heavy characters. Constant practice after that makes you more consistent.

It's REALLY a matter of preference, honestly. But I focused on the 5 main weight classes of characters: Meta Knight for lightweight, Diddy for semi-lightweight, Lucario for medium weight, Yoshi for semi-heavyweight, and Snake for heavy-weight.
After that, you just need to know the approximate weight of every character, and adjust accordingly. For example, Olimar is lighter than MK, so you'll need to input the grabs a little sooner than MK. Marth is between Lucario and Diddy, so adjust accordingly.

The dash occurs if you input the grab near the very ending frames that it is possible to grab the character. Nana gets the dash input early enough that she starts the dash before the grab. You need to input grab literally like 2 frames sooner. It's a feel you acquire with practice.

For the d-throw to regrab, you need to input the d-throw, input a walk for nana, and grab as the shockwave appears when the character hits the ground. (Assuming you're playing on a non-laggy TV.)

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Also, try playing around with your dthrow regrab timings in reference to when the floor flashes in the dthrow animation. If you're regrabbing with Nana, the frames immediately before the flash are what you want to grab at. For Popo the frames at the tail end of the flash, but not after, are the one's you want to regrab.
Does that answer your question?

:phone:

DeLux

Just to correct TSK on one possibility:

If Nana is grabbing the wrong direction on the Bthrow and dash grabbing, you might be hitting grab too soon.

If Nana is grabbing the correct direction but dash grabbing, you might be hitting grab too late.

I'd explain the mechanics, but I'm sure you guys don't want me to bore you on why things work

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
^ but it's better for us if you do.
I only have that issue with bthrow on mk for some reason.

Don't learn all your grabs in 1 day. I spaced it out over like a months time.
I've gotten muuuch better, but some characters I suck at CG'ing

DeLux

Or all of you can stop being baddies and stop using Popo Bthrow CGs :)

DeLux

No, I'm being dead serious.

I've been saying this for the last week. No more Popo Bthrows

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
they can smash di off the edge esam

Not if you stop with plenty of room.
But if they're good at SDI, they'll keep on SDI'ing behind you, so you'll either be forced to hobble them closer to the edge, or you'll eventually have to b-throw.

Nah, there's a way to do it in place.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I dun see why to not bthrow?
You don't trip thhaaaaat much when doing it, and its much easier than hobbleing.

Hobbling is pretty much the easiest thing ever, and by "perfect CG" standards, if you use bthrows once per CG, you have better than a 5% of giving your opponent their stock back by tripping per set. Over the course of a tournament, this amounts to a near definite chance of it happening at least once.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Hobbling is pretty much the easiest thing ever,
No. You may find it easy to perform this cg, but it is most definantly not easy.
Icies are the hardest characters in brawl to learn (maybe next to olimar?)
learning to hobble is NOT easy.

and by "perfect CG" standards, if you use bthrows once per CG, you have better than a 5% of giving your opponent their stock back by tripping per set. Over the course of a tournament, this amounts to a near definite chance of it happening at least once.
Yet to me, once ain't so bad.
If it was like a 30% chance of you tripping, I would NEVER bthrow.
I can bthrow>bthrow>bthrow for a while, and drop the grab before I trip.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Not if you stop with plenty of room.
But if they're good at SDI, they'll keep on SDI'ing behind you, so you'll either be forced to hobble them closer to the edge, or you'll eventually have to b-throw.

Nah, there's a way to do it in place.
Ether way I'm right. And esam said "at the edge" I've played ppl that smash di clear across the stage before.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Ether way I'm right. And esam said "at the edge" I've played ppl that smash di clear across the stage before.

Really? I've never even seen Mr. Doom, who is renowned for his SDI, do that.
Please, tell me exactly how that's done. Or better yet, post a video. If this person can even go 1/3 of Smashville, I'll be extremely impressed.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Jeff, you are definitely exaggerating. I can imagine SDIing behind you again, but you can just keep doing it.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I know that you can DI enough so you can't make it a smash hobble, but I've never seen it where you can't regrab them.

DeLux

You can SDI about 1/3 the distance of FD on a hobble. It's enough to make an IC have to turn around or to even force a dash to regrab.

But in order to turn around while hobbling, you still have to Popo Bthrow lol

No more Popo Bthrows

B0NK

Smash Lord
Yooooooo remember the buffered b-throw to b-throw hype in 2008.....

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Sure it does! I actually just fthrow> fthrow> dthrow> dthrow>dthrow >bthrow repeat.
Walk across the stage.
Which is only danerous cause of trips.
But depending on who you're fighting, across the stage and back is eneough for a kill!

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Jeff, you are definitely exaggerating. I can imagine SDIing behind you again, but you can just keep doing it.
clear across stage was a exaggeration. but ask hrnut to do it for you he can do it pretty damn far. WHich is why i never hobble hrnut unless its FD in the middle of the stage. Mr doom is great at SDI and DI but hes not the only one in the world with high level DI. Maybe the most well known.
(not only directing this post to Esam)

Top Bottom