• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
The current stage selection procedures makes us unviable

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Why are IC's not higher on the tier list again? Infinites on every character?
If every time you went up to play someone with your character you ALWAYS have to win the first match or you lose the set, would you feel the same?

That's the predicament we're kinda in right now, because unless you have a really outstanding secondary that can preform on Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar then we have to win the first match in the set. Even then we always have to take the heavy blow because we always get CP'd to the worst possible stages for our character, so being a pure IC main really isn't enough.

Sieguest

Smash Master
*Reads last page*
You all need to learn about this thing we call the control stick and how it works.

*Continues to Popo bthrow* (only 50% of the time though since the other 50% is now the 2011 CG)

DeLux

It very well could. The reason wireless controllers were banned at MLG was because of the electronic interference. Electronic interference is obviously bad for consistency

Go Wired

DeLux

Lain's gonna name search that and be like "this is why I don't go to the IC boards anymore"

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well I mean..lain did name himself after the anime lol.

DeLux

It's hard to answer that question because you have to factor two things: mashing and knockback.

If you're charging an usmash with bthrow, it's a situation that implies you'll be inputting usmash first to charge and then bthrow. The issue with that nana will input an incidental pummel, which gives your opponent a free 25 frames to mash before you get to even buffer a throw. Based on mashing rates for what's considered normal kill percent they need to average about one input a frame or half max ideal grab mash rates. That being the case, mashing out of pummel is doable.

the alternative is a buffer bthrow cg to usmash, but that might as well be uncharged so it has knockback issues.

Imo: Don't use that finisher. Use nana dthrow to popo 3/4ths charged tipper fsmash. Unmashable and kills at 100

:phone:

DeLux

I don't know the specific because Idthrow walk people towards edges and then cg.

That's correct if you want to be unmashable

WoWzA

Smash Rookie
Why do you dthrow people to the edge Lux? I've seen people do that a few times, and I'm curious to find out why that is.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Since a tipper smash sends them horizontally, you want to be as close horizontally to the edge of the stage. You'd be bringing them closer to the killzone, really.

WoWzA

Smash Rookie
Okay, so any tipper smash for every character sends them horizontally? I've had that happen to me before, but I haven't noticed that it was tipped.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Only certain characters have tipper fsmashes. But our tipper fsmash can hit anyone if you space it right.

It doesn't go perfectly horizontally, but more horizontal than a normal fsmash.

And dsmash has no tipper. It kills too late to be used as a CG finisher.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Ugh I need MK MU advice.All the MKs just hover around and wait for me to do something and then Nado it. They'll wait till where they're just a little bit in front of me or behind/yet above me and then Nado in my ending lag of whatever I do and I get it, split and my Nana gets *****. Helllllp.

Edit, I can't really Upair here because they're just horizontally away from me to where I can't do it before they get Nado out.

DeLux

Why do new people call me Lux when I changed my name months ago?

How does one CG out of shield to counter tornado?

things I ponder while at work

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Ugh I need MK MU advice.All the MKs just hover around and wait for me to do something and then Nado it. They'll wait till where they're just a little bit in front of me or behind/yet above me and then Nado in my ending lag of whatever I do and I get it, split and my Nana gets *****. Helllllp.

Edit, I can't really Upair here because they're just horizontally away from me to where I can't do it before they get Nado out.

Bait the nado. Run towards them, flash your shield, roll back, dash back and shield again, you'll get some punishes in that way. If they're platform camping apply false pressure and roll away to bait something you can punish.

ZTD | TECHnology

Cheese, I did not think of this. Thank you <3

And thanks DeLux for texting me with your input.

I think Im gonna take a little break from tournaments but I am using that downtime to hone the ICs for a bit. Last time I did this they got way better. Here's hoping the Hyperbolic Time Chamber method works in time for SIIS6.

DeLux

Toon Link has landed with a bomb on the platform above you. He sits in shield.

How do we punish this without getting iBombed the **** out of or putting ourselves at a huge risk?

*I already tried waiting for them to drain their shield and nairing. They would simply jump away at that point.

I have an idea on how to stop the whole TL issue, except for this scenario. If I can get a reasonable punish from this situation, I'd be able to work this matchup fairly reasonably, but I don't have a high enough damage output without working around this scenario

DeLux

Is that safe? I'd have to go above the platform to do that :\

Not saying you're wrong, just if I'm going above the platform, I might just try catching the ibomb with Uair in spacing or something instead of bair

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Hello Icies. I have an important question. I have mained MK for about 2 years by now. We are planning to possibly ban MK from Finland, which I totally support. I have been thinking of possible new main for me and Icies are potential. I have played them several times before if anyone remembers me visiting here. I know pretty much all their tricks and can play them fairly well. The question is that is it worth it for me to play such a difficult character? Do IC need a lot more dedication than I am thinking of? And what about a secondary for me? It cannot be MK obviously, but I need to make sure I can play some crappy matchups and stages too.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Going to be frank, no one likes playing against ICs. If you still want to enjoy the game then the climbers definitely aren't worth it since everyone you play will play as campy/gay as possible against you.

If the above isn't a problem then ICs are definitely worth it. Though to truly be successful with them, you'll need to a spend a lot of gameplay hours practicing CGs and useful desyncs as well as getting a good synced game and plenty of tournament frustration figuring out how to apply all this. I can't really help much with secondaries. Personally I use Toon Link lol.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I already know how to Chaingrab almost the whole cast and can desynch effectively on a real match. I have no trouble against camping, in fact I like to chase my opponents who try to run away. And I also did that to them with MK anyways. The character being boring to play against is not a problem.

ZTD | TECHnology

Okay so, I need some general advice against Pikachu. I want to learn the MU a bit better with ICs so here I am. Can someone just give me general tools on what we should be doing. Also how often should we be desynched in this MU.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Never be desynched. Ever. Seriously. Pikachu is mobile enough that he can get to you really quick and mess you up. Pikachu is one of the best nana-edgeguarders in the game, and is also one of the most efficient at killing her on stage (Hit up to thunder thunder thunder, she DIs straight up and we get free ****). Also never use Blizzard unless you are really close to Pikachu, he will get a free T-jolt in and separate, then QA to you and **** your ***** up.

Ice blocks are obviously = jolts, but you shoot them faster, so we lose in that aspect. What Pikachu will be trying to do is hit your head with the jolts, so you have to not remain stationary. Jumping is nice sometimes, but be careful of distance. If Pikachu sees you jump, he can go under you and D-smash your landing (Or read you and pivot grab B-throw or something) which can kill both of you pretty easily (mostly nana).

This match is pretty much positioning-based. At super long range, you win. At a range where we can snipe jolts at your head, we win. Mid-range, we also win because we can capitalize on pretty much anything you do. Super close range, obviously, is in ICs favor because their grabs are much scarier. Pikachu pretty much has to go in at some point unless he is playing for time-out, though.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Assuming Unity...RC. Brinstar isn't a good stage for Pikachu, so no Pikachu, besides PikaPika, is really comfortable on that stage. Because of that, we will probably take you to...idk, frigate?

Top Bottom