• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Smasher89

Smash Lord
played some random friendlies against a G&W as ICs (online though :( ) and learned that when G&W up-b "out of" dthrowchaingrab, it seems possible (I hit with it accidently but probably could work) to punish his up-b with a jumped(not sure if fulljumped) Fair that uses his windeffect against him to fairspike and techaseoppoturnity...

r3d d09

Smash Master
IC boards have this thread that mentions to not focus on CG and avoid trying to get that grab too much and focusing on their basic fighting. Then how come Lain seems to spam that grab like a madman?
because we want you to learn how to use the character before learning the grabs.

someone told a story about how there are IC's who are perfect on grabs, but don't know anything about the character outside of CG's. this caused them to place last. all because they don't know the fundamentals of the Ice Climbers.

Learn how to be good without CG's, then adapt CG's into your gameplay.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Dear god, what is the breakdown of ICs against ROB? That bugger seems tough to fight.
It's their second worst matchup, in my opinion (which changes day-to-day). You get camped really hard, and can't keep up pressure for too long because of his dsmash. Your best option is to powershield something and get a grab on it (yea, I'm aware that sounds like every other matchup). If you get dsmashed, SDI TOWARDS NANA AND HIT ROB IMMEDIATELY, if you don't Nana is dead, and there's nothing you can do about it. If you get ROB on the ledge, blizzard pressure works pretty much the same as tornado pressure, keep a blizzard on it, and he'll rack up damage and be forced to recover way over you, which is the only place you have advantage in the matchup, because IC uair is disgustingly good against ROB. I've made ROBs run out of fuel with blizzard pressure on the ledge, it really hurts him. If you get just a little ISSDI on his dsmash and buffer a dash grab OOS, you can get the grab on it. His ground game is better than the ICs, so you MUST get him in the air (smart desynching with blizzard). Don't approach with desynchs from any distance, you're going to get lasered and separated and lose Nana. Every single time you get separated, if the ROB is half decent, ROB is going to kill Nana, so be very aware of that. Oh, and at low %, you can land uair uair, hitlag desynch nair and footstool to ice block for a grab as a true combo, but that's rare and random.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah ROB's gimping ability is godly, as is his gtfo moves and spacers. That and his camp game seems to do a number on ICs as a whole.

PCyph

Smash Apprentice
pretty much make an arch over the stage from one edge to the other

this is the line you want to keep ROB on. Don't let him set up shop on stage, and if he does you have to PS everything while approaching and try to land a squall/DA/maybe a lucky grab/anything that gets him above you or off the edge.

desyncs are very good in the matchup if you do them fast and smart.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
well yeah, thats why yo dont start it up way out there

D3 can ftilt and bair squall too but if you do it right, it works pretty well lmao

which is funny because its really not seen as a good move

ch33s3

Smash Lord
pretty much make an arch over the stage from one edge to the other

this is the line you want to keep ROB on. Don't let him set up shop on stage, and if he does you have to PS everything while approaching and try to land a squall/DA/maybe a lucky grab/anything that gets him above you or off the edge.

desyncs are very good in the matchup if you do them fast and smart.
What he said.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Heres me chain grabbing.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9ZZNmeZxug I think think the problems are pretty obvious, but I'll state them anyway. I move during back throw CG's so it's not an infinite. During back throw d throw CG's I run too far with Popo, not that it's really that much of a problem... I THINK my f throw chain grabs are okay, but idk. I think the problem might be my controller, the control stick is pretty loose, but idk. Sorry about the poor quality video.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Practice. Thats all you need to do.
This. It's basic advice but it's true. Keep trying and you'll figure it out. Watch videos if you need to so see when it looks like you need to initiate the grab but it's just a matter of getting the timing down and executing it.

There isn't going to be a simple "you're doing this part wrong" and suddenly you'll be able to do it perfectly. I know this because I'm around the same part you are, I still mess up really early on and can only do d-throw from edge to edge on FD.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
g&w? bthrow -> fthrow. easiest thing in the world (if nana is spaced wrong, do 2 fthrows to get them in the right places).

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
b-throw -> fthrow is so amazing in ease to perform, plus fthrow = more damage to dthrow iirc (slight bonus).

Like under stress I can't seem to do bthrow dthrow on marth, but I can bthrow fthrow him just fine.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
For R.O.B.'s dsmash, you should di up to get out of it.. and toward if you wanna get out of it and land right next to him.
If you're fast enough, you can hit him with jabs or tilts.
You wont get out of his dsmash by di'ing away towards nana..

Smoom77

Smash Master
I told you guys before, bthrow-bthrow is the fastest and most efficient chaingrab. Fthrow and dthrow have more lag. Learn to buffer bthrows on lightweights since the throwing action is quick.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I know that I need to practice.... and practice is solving the f throw and b throw d throw chain grabs becuase I can do them right just not consistently. However, the b throw b throw I can't do right at all, no matter how easy or hard I tilt the control stick, is the problem with my first back throw? Should I wait longer befso Nore grabbing so Popo is more in front of Nana? Also, when you guys say b throw f throw do you mean the pivot grab f throw? Whenever I try to do those Popo rolls when I grab... Also, is chain grabbing viable on wifi? I can't chain a Marth on wifi yet doing the exact same thing I can chain him up and down FD in practice mode....

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
...is it possible to do the b throw chain grabs slowly? Like do the first one, wait a few seconds and do the seoncd, could someone who can do them right please try this?

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
...You can do it as slow as you want, provided your opponent hasn't broken out yet.
Because a few seconds is more than enough time to be able to break out of a grab, even at high percents.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Practicing not practice mode will show you how fast you need to chaingrab for the opponent not to mash our because computers can get out of grabs pretty easily.

That what you mean doggy?

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Normally when I attempt the back throw chain grabs input a dash and then a grab. Then I walk the other way with Popo but when Nana throws Popo has walked too far. Earlier while I was practicing I did the first one then immediately slammed the control stick the opposite way and it worked, but sometimes Popo will just stand there when I do this. Which is why I want to know if you can do it slowly, I think the problem may be I have to do the second grab faster.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Normally when I attempt the back throw chain grabs input a dash and then a grab. Then I walk the other way with Popo but when Nana throws Popo has walked too far. Earlier while I was practicing I did the first one then immediately slammed the control stick the opposite way and it worked, but sometimes Popo will just stand there when I do this. Which is why I want to know if you can do it slowly, I think the problem may be I have to do the second grab faster.
He stood there because you had buffered the grab. You pressed back quick enough that he didn't get an input to walk, just one to turn around. You just have to press back slightly to only have him walk a short distance to be able to catch the back throw from Nana. You really just have to catch them, even if you've walked an extra step or two. Walking too far, would be pretty much be walking out of range of even being able to catch anyone, in which case, you could possibly be in range to catch them if you pivot grabbed with Popo, but that's a little ahead of you right now. Just time the second back throw better/learn how to space Popo correctly. Or learn how to buffer your throws lol. Not much more you can learn from us, just work on it.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
The back throw pivot grabs are harder? I found those very easy. D throw pivot grabs, f throw pivot grab after a b throw, and b throws are what are hardest for me. Speaking of f throw, can you do it after b throw without doing the pivot grab?

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
You can certainly forward throw after a back throw. Just take a small step forward (not a dash) to be in position for a regrab. You can even buffer those as well.

Shurely

Smash Cadet
hey guys, quick question. is there an IC stage discussion anywhere? I dont wanna trust the "Useful threads" section cause all their info is from like 2008. I generally know what stages are good and bad but im just looking for a discussion talking about what you can do on different stages and a final say on whats good or bad (in case i miss something about a stage).

Shurely

Smash Cadet
We dont have one, we dont really discuss much.

Not the most organized group here, huh?
haha ya i guess not. coming from the pika boards its kinda weird. cause they are constantly discussing. i think they have like match ups, counter picks, and stages all going on. haha

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
lets say your fighting snake, and when you finnaly get a grab your on top of a C4 and don't know when its going to blow/or a grenade is right below you. What would be a good way to keep him in a chain grab but get off/away from the explosives as fast a possible?

Top Bottom