• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
What's that evil thing Diddy can do to Nana again? I heard it from Felix before, he said said something like "ICs diddy's an alright MU, just watch out for _________"

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
ok so i was wrong, but like everyone on that list from about marth or peach down i would consider "light weight" as far as chaingrabbing goes because they all have the same bthrow timing

except jiggs

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
mmm, well fair enough, just sayin'. :p

personally I consider midweight to start with marth, i find his timings to be noticeably different than the likes of mk/gw, but not as extreme as ganon/dedede/whoever. even (especially?) on the bthrow.

phi1ny3 - probably throwing her offstage and spiking her.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
mmm, well fair enough, just sayin'. :p

personally I consider midweight to start with marth, i find his timings to be noticeably different than the likes of mk/gw, but not as extreme as ganon/dedede/whoever. even (especially?) on the bthrow.
Strange, I start at Peach's weight and end with Lucario's. Peach is hard for me to B-throw consistently without my usual Mid-weight D-throw F-throw start.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry if this is already posted somewhere, I tried my best to look for it. When I do back throw chain grabs Popo either goes too far and I catch the character but move slightly in that direction, meaning I have to d throw eventually to reverse the direction of the b throw instead of being able to infinite it, or I tilt the control stick slightly and it doesn't throw, Popo just walks. As for forward throw, is there a secret to doing it quickly? I'll grab someone at like 28% and I either rush the forward throw and over run it or they break free. I also have trouble throwing. Popo often just walks foward instead of Nana throwing as he walks... Please help, sorry it's so long. :3

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
what are some good ways to fight metaknight? everytime I fight him he gimps nana and I get screwed over lol

also what do you think would be the best chain grab on top of a platform? I try the bthrow to nana then down to popo and I just fall through.

yoshq

Smash Master
what are some good ways to fight metaknight? everytime I fight him he gimps nana and I get screwed over lol

also what do you think would be the best chain grab on top of a platform? I try the bthrow to nana then down to popo and I just fall through.

bthrow with popo dwith nana while popo is shielded

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Back throw chain grabs are the best on a platform since f throw is limited and d throw will cause you to fall through. If it's a bad MK just do the d throw forward air chain grabs and Ice lock. If it's a good MK try to pivot grab, shield grab, or get him to like 30% and then chain grab him. It's hard to do without them escaping at low percents, since Nana often fails to get there on time during a dash grab. B throw f throw is the best for Metaknight but b throw and f throw also work fine.

B0NK

Smash Lord
D-throw works on platforms when buffered, just don't hesitate before d-throwing. (Buffered does not mean super fast though. Just input the d-throw at the end of Popo's b-throw end lag.)

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
I'm sorry if this is already posted somewhere, I tried my best to look for it. When I do back throw chain grabs Popo either goes too far and I catch the character but move slightly in that direction, meaning I have to d throw eventually to reverse the direction of the b throw instead of being able to infinite it, or I tilt the control stick slightly and it doesn't throw, Popo just walks. As for forward throw, is there a secret to doing it quickly? I'll grab someone at like 28% and I either rush the forward throw and over run it or they break free. I also have trouble throwing. Popo often just walks foward instead of Nana throwing as he walks... Please help, sorry it's so long. :3
The best thing I can say is practice. And dont just practice, make sure you pay attention to what goes wrong with it. If you walk forward and nana doesnt throw, then you should be able to say "Oh, I wasnt tilting the stick hard enough". If you put in another controller, you can just pick someone to CG against in a timed match (assuming you dont have infinite replays code in) and watch you mistakes and learn from them.

tl;dr version
Practice and watch your mistakes
Metaknight is just a battle of patience. Dont try to rush through to get a grab, play safe and make him come to you. Blizzard walling and Desynched Ice Blocks work great. Pivot Grabbing the tornado is also a good option if they spam it. Worry about punishing your opponents mistakes instead of rushing in for a grab.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I practice b throw a lot, and for months. I just can't seem to get it to work... Does Popo need to just turn around or actually walk a bit? If I turn around I see this flash and I miss. The only one I can do is the pivot back throw but it's not as good. F throw is getting better with practice though. I don't think practicing b throw wrong is ever going to make it better since I have yet to do it correctly once.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Did you even read? The problem isn't the first back throw, it's the second. You can't just slam the control stick backwards and grab instantly on that one.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
when I get smacked off the stage IC's get desynced and make it hard to recover, whats the best way to resync them when they are trying to get back on the stage? Right now I'm using Uair but Im not sure it thats the best way or not. Like what is your favorite way to do it?

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
You can't even do f throw after a b throw.... and b throw to d throw only works on light characters, whereas b throw can chain grab everyone but the timings different...

r3d d09

Smash Master
dude. . . are you telling the people that have been maining this char for a year it doesn't work? it's called buffering and different timings. so. do your research and stuff before you tell us what IC's can and can't do. thanks

B0NK

Smash Lord
You can't even do f throw after a b throw.... and b throw to d throw only works on light characters, whereas b throw can chain grab everyone but the timings different...
Since when?

Every CG works on every character with the exception of hobbling. Some timings are easier then others. And you can CG any throw to the other, except u-throw.

Edit: Ninja'd thanks to typing on an itouch xD

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I meant I can't. :/ I'm an IC nub... well brawl nub.... and I can't do the b throw d throw ones on heavy weights. That's all irrelevant though.... can someone please tell me if you have to just turn around or if you have to move forward on the back throw?

Sieguest

Smash Master
I meant I can't. :/ I'm an IC nub... well brawl nub.... and I can't do the b throw d throw ones on heavy weights. That's all irrelevant though.... can someone please tell me if you have to just turn around or if you have to move forward on the back throw?
If I've understood what you're asking, it doesn't matter too much because the instant the game recognizes popo as facing the other way nana turns that way. The guides should give you a step in the right direction but it ultimately cones down to how you'll remember what to do. x.x

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I can turn Popo around and move him without it throwing..... should that not happen? :S

Sieguest

Smash Master
Well yeah, that can happen, I'm just saying that whether you hold it or not it doesn't make too much of a difference.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
So here is the bad news. I'm not just gonna give that answer away. If you see how Snake fights and his options, you should at least on your own figure out a way to use your options to defeat him. We cant baby you forever. Learn on your own by watching matches and fighting Snakes yourself.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Ok then what is your favorite chain grab to do on heavy characters? Down to nana foward popo seems to work but I have a hard time doing it at higher %

VK-137

Smash Apprentice
Out of curiosity, ICs are A tier at the moment, right? How much of that is due to the chaingrabs? Like, how would they place using just the other stuff like desynching etc? I'm thinking of learning some for the lols, but chains just don't sit well with me.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
IC boards have this thread that mentions to not focus on CG and avoid trying to get that grab too much and focusing on their basic fighting. Then how come Lain seems to spam that grab like a madman?

Top Bottom