• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

john!

Smash Hero
nah it's not that bad

they're just slightly catty at times, and occasionally slightly "metrosexual"
ics boards are brotastic casual style friendly like
sheik boards are super serious with kk's occasional awkward attempts to be silly
falco boards are a mix of brotastic and serious
game and watch boards are falsely optimistic about their ****ty character

and that's all the boards i lurk

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
sheik boards are super serious
huh? forreal? I thought the Sheik boards had two social threads

Only the ones where some troll like KirbyKaze has brought Peach-boards-worthy fare and disrupted the amazing discussions that once were! :mad:
Yeah, I used to be amazed at the quality of the IC boards. I guess it was too good to last

just be thankful it's not the Luigi boards...

I think Luigi and Mario make up the bottom tier for SWF character specific

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
it actually hasn't been beaten to death

lol basically how i play against sheik, let's see.. i used to try to waveshield toward her all the time and try to force shield grabs, but it's not always a good idea when she just keeps jumping and fairing a lot. but then i heard chudat say in an interview 'just camp sheik'

so i blizzblock now and wait for sheik to approach and i end up getting much more damage that way and getting much better shield grabs when she does mess up. i havent played any really amazing sheiks so i normally dont have trouble with this matchup

kk what are sheik's main tools for getting @ ic's

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yah lols thats why i just spam nana blizzard cuz sheik cant get close. its annoying when there are platforms tho, cuz then she can come in from above. but that's when i run away :D she can diagonal needle as well which is annoying.

when sheik is spamming fairs and is close by i can usually just hold shield and not worry. time a wd away when she jumps again. sometimes waveshield in to force a shield grab, but sheik can jab right after fair which stuffs my grab a lot.

i know sheik has other moves but i cant think of them LOL

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think ICs draw out one of Sheik's issues

In that she doesn't really have an answer to blocking other than grab

Her pressure isn't really fast-paced like Falco, Fox, and Peach so she can't like pour aggression on ICs' block and expect them to fear her

Her poor aerial mobility also makes it hard to cover lots of ground from the air

And competing with ICs on the ground is hard in general (ICs have beastmode ground game) but with her it's compounded by her generally weak moves

I'm not sure how she goes about getting things done

I'd imagine she can be really safe against them with her aerials though

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ok well, from the vids i watched

it seems that when a sheik tries to play legit and just straight up fights ic's... she gets *****. their ground game dominates most of her options even if they can't shield grab her. they have other aggressive ways to force grabs, like getting under her and utilting, dash attacking, random hit to tech chase, etc. plus defensively when they blizzard, sheik is just forced to stay away.

however, sheik does have a lot of strengths that don't require getting close. sheik can potentially win on stages like dk64 and definitely brinstar. idk if vanish camping the ledge is a good idea but at least it's invincible lol, as long as u dont stupidly waveland into them.

needles seem to be something that can work, honestly. fully charged, or thrown diagonally, it's one of the few things that i can imagine sheik doing in order to set some kind of tempo. ic's are better off just either taking those single needles, or blocking them. if they're fully charged, ic's definitely have to block them. finding time to charge them is another story hahah... but if you think about it, at least charging needles might bait the ic's into approaching. and if we don't, then more power to you cuz you have charged needles.

it seems like one of the only truly safe ways to play this matchup is to make good use of platforms. i know that ic's uair is excellent from underneath the platforms but if sheik jumps and switches platforms at the right times, she can potentially bait uair and quickly punish it with a horizontal move like bair, or just needle them from the side.

i mean

imagine a ninja in real life

fighting against a couple fat people with huge hammers

u have to act like a ninja and attack from the treetops son.

ic's have dozens of way to fight against spacing aerials. if they can beat marth when he's doing this, then they can definitely beat sheik. sheik has some better movement than marth though, so she can use that to her advantage

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
KK: Problem with too much blocking is that their shield is just not that great (so you can easily get pokes), and if you can push them to the edge then you either a) bait a roll or b) push them off and then slap Nana's ****. With them separated, you can just go for a grab on the SoPo; a quick d-throw slap builds percent and keeps him from helping Nana, who you can then just swat away and possibly kill.

I dunno, feels way more even to me than most people think, I've been saying it for awhile.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Dthrow slap doesnt work if you just sheildgrab with nana...although i see you said with popo seperated. I just dont see the ICs that often seperateed in this matchup.

I understand your view wobbles, I think that Fair>ftilt spam is actually pretty good.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
KK: Problem with too much blocking is that their shield is just not that great (so you can easily get pokes), and if you can push them to the edge then you either a) bait a roll or b) push them off and then slap Nana's ****. With them separated, you can just go for a grab on the SoPo; a quick d-throw slap builds percent and keeps him from helping Nana, who you can then just swat away and possibly kill.

I dunno, feels way more even to me than most people think, I've been saying it for awhile.
Too much anything will get you *****.

I feel the fact that they force Sheik to grind hits on their shield as opposed to just grabbing them and making their head(s) explode is somewhat of an advantage. This is compounded by Sheik's nature as a character with relatively weak moves. Fair has nice trajectory, sure, but it's actually fairly average knockback and doesn't induce tumble for a while.

You do make a good point about the edge. And I feel that a lot of Sheik's game against them is seeking out a positional advantage.

I don't mean to imply I think this is awful for Sheik or even a disadvantageous matchup. Besides me not particularly caring, I don't play it enough to know. I'm mainly here to discuss strategy.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I need some help:
I find my Ice Climbers are too campy and get dominated when people use rush-down styles against me, my normal strategies involve de-synched ice blocks and blizzards as well as some other basic de-synch links, but I don't have enough time to pull them off against these characters. What can/should I do?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I think I need to practice more in noisy environments. Whenever there is a lot of ambient noise due to a bunch of other TVs, people talking, etc., I can never seem to get into a good state of mind for playing.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I need some help:
I find my Ice Climbers are too campy and get dominated when people use rush-down styles against me, my normal strategies involve de-synched ice blocks and blizzards as well as some other basic de-synch links, but I don't have enough time to pull them off against these characters. What can/should I do?
learn some approaches and experiment with them on friends and low level cpu's/level 9 cpu's

some good ones

1. wd shield
2. wd grab
3. wd jab -> grab/smash
4. wd smash
5. dash attack

also mess around with nairs, ftilts, other moves

for rush down characters, u gotta find out when to shield and what moves counter certain approaches. for example, utilt can sometimes stuff falcon's stomps and even knees. for falco there are a lot of anti laser tricksies you can do. for fox i think the trick is to often be aggressive yourself and put pressure on HIM. it's very risky but sometimes it's the only way, since he has numerous ways he can get through a standard ic's defense.

my favorite approach is this:

run up to them, read their full jump, and uair LOOOOL

grim if u have specific situations/moves u have trouble against then post em

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I think I need to practice more in noisy environments. Whenever there is a lot of ambient noise due to a bunch of other TVs, people talking, etc., I can never seem to get into a good state of mind for playing.
Tested a sollution for that in a tournament this weekend that worked interestingly well. It might be a doble-edged sword but listening to music to not being able to listen to peoples discussion helped me alot to keep the flow going(waka laka power!).

Had too much trouble against DK(will watch your set against Mexican to get a better feel of it) and Ganondorf, it's hard to flow against characters you don't face too often.

Top Bottom