• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well most of my problems for these vids were that I wasn't hitting my L-cancels vs ICs yet ~_~ haha

smakis

Smash Ace
Lol. Didn't you know you have to wait a bit before cgs in order to have Nana synched?

>_>

I do know that, and you are sometimes waiting too long. You can start the throw/pummel before nana is completly synched, she will sync while you are throwing, just learn the timing (obviously this doesn't work on like puff lol).

Smasher89

Smash Lord
About pressuring someone at the ledge. Nana blizzards, popo walks forward and reacts to their roll\jump for example.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
2 things about blizzard at the edge:

1) People with really good ledge wavelands can plough right through it. Against Eddy, for example, unless I space myself pretty far from the edge, he'll just glide right through the blizzard while invulnerable and dsmash me. That said, if I do space myself far in anticipation of this, it can still work.

2) Most people have sloppy ledge wavelands, so it's still a good bet against a ton of players, including many good ones.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yea shroomed waveland usmashed me through it before hahah

thats like his signature move

i got this though

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You wouldn't do it much if you noticed that they were able to consistently ledge wavedash with + invincibility. But the reward for landing a blizzard at high percents is pretty decent, since it usually leads to an uair and more damage/offstage launcher from airtrapping situations.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Ledge jump almost always can get through icewall at the ledge, but it is great vs most everyone who doesn't play against you every day.

Fly, thanks for that getting back to the ledge post!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
doc is good on the ledge wahhhhh

im just really hyped to play shroomed at next tourny lol

dudes, wanna know one of my trouble matchups? mario =\

scorpion master tapped me in teams before, and Phil's mario beat me in a 1-stock match

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
how would you punish his fsmash?

like if he whiffs it? if he hits my shield i cant imagine how to punish it

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Chok, punish what he does next. He has limited options. Spotdodge, roll, sheild, jab, and another smash are just about all I can imagine. Every one of those has a counter, and he probably only does one or two.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
eh? but fsmash seems safe enough, what if he just walks, or perhaps even jabs me as i wd in

idk id probably just not do anything if i see mario fsmash :(

dsmash is another story, i can punish that one haha, used to it cuz of doc

ill figure out ways, i just need exp vs the character. ill play some lvl 9 in the next couple weeks lol

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You can't punish Mario's f-smash on your shield. It's laggy enough that you can wavedash in and punish if it whiffs, though. Also, when Mario players land an f-smash on your shield, they tend to follow the same pattern to get around your wavedash out of shield. If the Mario always spotdodges after you wd oos, punish with charged d-smash or simply shield and grab him during the spotdodge's vulnerable frames. If he always attacks you as you wd in (with jabs, d-smash, or some other fast move), punish it appropriately. Wd in and cc jabs. Wd in, out and back in to force his d-smash to whiff. Etc.

Vts

Smash Champion
Man i'm giving up IC to follow my true character!!!

Sopo :D

who needs 2 anyways

the more and more i play IC the more and more i see that they are a bad character glad that my friends don't see the obvious flaws and punishing for the character's bad moves.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me what is the difference between chain grabbing and wobbling? From my understanding for chain grabbing you must actually throw the opponent. My friend wants to main ICs but I don't want to teach him any banned stuff so help pls.

Vts

Smash Champion
Can someone tell me what is the difference between chain grabbing and wobbling? From my understanding for chain grabbing you must actually throw the opponent. My friend wants to main ICs but I don't want to teach him any banned stuff so help pls.
yeah wobbling is grabbing once and basicly hitting the target at the right time to make sure they can never escape the grab and u kill out of it chain grabs are multiple grabs that can't be escaped unless messed up.

hand off is the only true 0-death chain grab in game all the rest at one point can u get out, but hand off is hardest chain grab cus u have to make sure or hoe doesn't throw them the wrong way :D

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
Do you think it would be a good idea for my friend to learn wobbling? Personally, I don't want to be imba-ed because I know he'll do it. But at the same time, I want him to do well in tourney without being bm. Not only that I want him to smash my other friend who is too cocky for his own good but he may cry illegal. What do you think? If the tournament is too small to say no wobbling, would you wobble? Is wobbling in friendlies a good practice?

I'm assuming hell even be able to wobble, were not very good :) But then again we play a lot so we may get to that point where its an issue.

Vts

Smash Champion
Do you think it would be a good idea for my friend to learn wobbling? Personally, I don't want to be imba-ed because I know he'll do it. But at the same time, I want him to do well in tourney without being bm. Not only that I want him to smash my other friend who is too cocky for his own good but he may cry illegal. What do you think? If the tournament is too small to say no wobbling, would you wobble? Is wobbling in friendlies a good practice?

I'm assuming hell even be able to wobble, were not very good :) But then again we play a lot so we may get to that point where its an issue.
Get on aim and talk to me i have a lot to say about that and can answer a lot of your questions

ssbm-vts@hotmail.com is my aim and email

but wobbling in friendlies is mostly looked down at.

in most regard friendlies are for practicing new thing trying new things and enjoyment .

that's how i look at it, now other people look at it as its my time to shine and do the same combo 9000 times until i win cus all i care about is winning.

saddly i'm one of those try hard to wins but i also try new things at the same time as kind of a mix to see if this new stuff can win or if its just pointless.

i detest wobbling everyone in arkansas/memphis will tell you that i look down on people who wobble in friendlies.

although i know how to do it people around me say i can't do because i refuse to do it even if i'm 2-3 stock down.

i have wobbled once in tournament cus i wanted to answer my phone so i started the wobble put my control stick against my leg so i could f-tilt and wobbled him for about 10-15s so i could tell the person on the phone i'll call them back.

i started playing IC in late 07 and didn't learn wobbling until early 2009 and was only for ****s and giggles.

i do well in tournament not due to chain grabs but spacing and combos.

but not being close to anyone good hinders your ability to really grow.

i'll make a mock up guide to getting started to play IC right now since i'm bored.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
I don't play ice climbers so I don't know anything. I don't even know how difficult any of the tech is. My friend won't even play ics(he did for a while) until he knows what the tech is, in order to not develop bad habits and start from a clean slate. I don't know if it gives him an advantage but if I find out right away there should be no disadvantage.

We are going enter a small tourney in Kingston, Ontario whos rules aren't up to date. For example, they have pokefloats, mute city and another sketchy counterpick(as well as brinstar and rainbow) and character picking is double blind. As well they don't mention any rules regarding wobbling. If its banned in most tourneys, my guess it wouldn't be fair to use wobbling in any tournament.

I'm sure no one has any problems with techs like desynching, WDing or grab combos all of which he could use a lot of practice in. Its just in all the high level ice climbers games I've watched there is always cging. It seems that the only practical difference between wobbling and cging is that cging is more difficult and may not guarantee a kill. That seems perfectly reasonable.

All I really need to know is, as long as its not wobbling its fair game where wobbling is the desynched jabbing while holding an opponent however you manage to set it up.

Do you use msn because you have a hotmail? I don't use aim but I do have msn. I did just download aim though.

Vts

Smash Champion
I don't play ice climbers so I don't know anything. I don't even know how difficult any of the tech is. My friend won't even play ics(he did for a while) until he knows what the tech is, in order to not develop bad habits and start from a clean slate. I don't know if it gives him an advantage but if I find out right away there should be no disadvantage.

We are going enter a small tourney in Kingston, Ontario whos rules aren't up to date. For example, they have pokefloats, mute city and another sketchy counterpick(as well as brinstar and rainbow) and character picking is double blind. As well they don't mention any rules regarding wobbling. If its banned in most tourneys, my guess it wouldn't be fair to use wobbling in any tournament.

I'm sure no one has any problems with techs like desynching, WDing or grab combos all of which he could use a lot of practice in. Its just in all the high level ice climbers games I've watched there is always cging. It seems that the only practical difference between wobbling and cging is that cging is more difficult and may not guarantee a kill. That seems perfectly reasonable.

All I really need to know is, as long as its not wobbling its fair game where wobbling is the desynched jabbing while holding an opponent however you manage to set it up.

Do you use msn because you have a hotmail? I don't use aim but I do have msn. I did just download aim though.
nope just aim and xfire

if u have xfire my name is iceydevil

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
whats ur name? lol

are u kayle? or am i confusing you with vanz?

MILES LMAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

smakis

Smash Ace
hand off is the only true 0-death chain grab in game all the rest at one point can u get out, but hand off is hardest chain grab cus u have to make sure or hoe doesn't throw them the wrong way :D
hand off is in no way a true 0-death, people who are good at mashing out of grabs gets out a lot when nana is pummeling too many times, if it starts at 0 % they will break out even if nana pummel just once

Top Bottom