• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Versus XIII will be the Duke Nukem Forever of Final Fantasy titles.

BUMP

Well, apparently FFVII on PC is going to be rereleased. Apparently people thought there'd be microtransactions but that's not true now. Apparently. I don't know, I find it more interesting that Square is rereleasing the PC version of all things.

Sauce: http://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy-vii-pc-will-not-have-microtransactions/
Just another ****-tease to the Final Fantasy VII fanboys. Honestly, there's hardly a point, considering the game's already on the PC, and it's been re-released on the PSN. This is Square's attempt to squeeze as much life out of this game as humanly possible and to make as much money as this game can make them without having to create an actual remake.

finalark

SNORLAX
Versus XIII will be the Duke Nukem Forever of Final Fantasy titles.

At this point I have more faith in Square making a Chrono 3 than I do Versus XIII ever seeing the light of day.

Just another ****-tease to the Final Fantasy VII fanboys. Honestly, there's hardly a point, considering the game's already on the PC, and it's been re-released on the PSN. This is Square's attempt to squeeze as much life out of this game as humanly possible and to make as much money as this game can make them without having to create an actual remake.
Pretty much. They side step the damn thing as much as possible when in actuality it wouldn't take much to remake FF7. Bump up the resolution, redraw the prerendered environments with pretty modern computers, make some new models (or be lazy ****s and recycle them from Crisis Core), add in voice acting for key moments in the game's story then throw it onto handhelds. Instant profit.

And for the love of god please revise VII's English script. By today's standards that game's translation is pretty ****ing atrocious.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
As much as I like Chrono, I don't trust Square making a new one. Practically everyone who helped on the first two are in other companies or are just freelancing. There's also the fact that I was disappointed in other Square franchises that were revived like Mana and Musashi (never got around to The 3rd Birthday yet).

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I still haven't gotten over how Cross is absolutely nothing like Trigger outside of music. :mad088:

I have Cross off of PSN though and I doubt it will bother me that much once I get into it.

But I don't know if I'm ready to see how much more it would change with the current square, though if they brought back Akira Toriyama for the art and gave it to the Dragon Quest people then I would probably be more than okay with this.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I still haven't gotten over how Cross is absolutely nothing like Trigger outside of music. :mad088:

I have Cross off of PSN though and I doubt it will bother me that much once I get into it.

But I don't know if I'm ready to see how much more it would change with the current square, though if they brought back Akira Toriyama for the art and gave it to the Dragon Quest people then I would probably be more than okay with this.
While I did like Cross even when I first bought it, it grew on me even more over time. I do think Trigger's the better game, but Cross is really good in a different direction (I find it more as a "beautiful" game). Kato said he didn't intend Cross to be and feel like a direct sequel either.

I hope that if they ever do make Chrono Break, Kato comes and works on it like how he helped on the DS port for Trigger.
As for Dragon Quest people, Horii said he's had no interest in helping make more games in that series since Trigger.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I've only played about an hour or so of Cross before getting distracted by someother game, but I don't think it is bad. It's just that Trigger is one of my two favorite games ever made, so Cross just has a tough act to follow for me. :/

If they really did a third Chrono game then having Kato back would be best, Mitsuda for the music would also be the way to go, but I'm okay without a new game for right now.

finalark

SNORLAX
Pretty much the same thing here. I had just finished Trigger when I got my hands on a copy of cross and low and behold... not Chrono Trigger. Honestly, I'm sure Cross is a good game and now that Trigger is mostly a distant memory for me I'll be able to judge Cross as its own thing if I ever play it again.

But lets be honest, here. The reason why Square rarely makes non-FF games is because non FF games don't sell. For example, there was Third Birthday advertisements everywhere when that game came out. But how many people do you know who played it?

On the off hand, that would be partially Square's fault for putting the game on an unpopular system.

EDIT: I forgot about Kingdom Hearts. But lets be honest, if those games didn't have Disney in them nobody would have batted an eye at 'em.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Pretty much the same thing here. I had just finished Trigger when I got my hands on a copy of cross and low and behold... not Chrono Trigger. Honestly, I'm sure Cross is a good game and now that Trigger is mostly a distant memory for me I'll be able to judge Cross as its own thing if I ever play it again.

But lets be honest, here. The reason why Square rarely makes non-FF games is because non FF games don't sell. For example, there was Third Birthday advertisements everywhere when that game came out. But how many people do you know who played it?

On the off hand, that would be partially Square's fault for putting the game on an unpopular system.

EDIT: I forgot about Kingdom Hearts. But lets be honest, if those games didn't have Disney in them nobody would have batted an eye at 'em.

That may partly be the case but, is that not Square's fault that they're essentially backed into only really having Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts the same way some would say Microsoft is backed in with so many FPS games? Or that Nintendo's at fault for not being able to create a new IP since Pikmin?

finalark

SNORLAX
That may partly be the case but, is that not Square's fault that they're essentially backed into only really having Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts the same way some would say Microsoft is backed in with so many FPS games? Or that Nintendo's at fault for not being able to create a new IP since Pikmin?
Well its not their fault, its more the public's fault for not wanted to move outside their comfort zone.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm a sucker for the Dragon Ball art. Plus Chrono Trigger was more streamlined and traditional compared to Cross which is why I liked it much more. Cross was just too easy overall and I didn't like how leveling up worked in that game.

A lot of people disliked 3rd Birthday though, and it pretty much did everything to alienate the existing fans by how they made Aya and the gameplay. Bad reviews really hurt it, imo, and that's one of the reasons I haven't tried it.

I'm still going to try it out someday though.

finalark

SNORLAX
In fairness, Kingdom Hearts didn't start IN their comfort zone.
Debatable. The game is Final Fantasy for kids, who I'm pretty sure was that game's target audience. Its pretty easy for most kids to be like "oh hey, this has Disney moves which I like so I'll play it!"

I guess the FF characters kinda have the same effect on FF fans but not to the same extent. I think.

I'm a sucker for the Dragon Ball art. Plus Chrono Trigger was more streamlined and traditional compared to Cross which is why I liked it much more. Cross was just too easy overall and I didn't like how leveling up worked in that game.
Oh yeah, I love Toriyama's art. I don't know about Cross. To be blunt, I didn't get far enough to really have an opinion on it.

A lot of people disliked 3rd Birthday though, and it pretty much did everything to alienate the existing fans by how they made Aya and the gameplay. Bad reviews really hurt it, imo, and that's one of the reasons I haven't tried it.

I'm still going to try it out someday though.
That is very true. I heard 3rd Bithday was supposed to be a new franchise initially but then Square decided it was actually Parasite Eve 3 or something along those lines. All I know is that I wasn't one of the people who played it.

I think the day Square will make something other than FF and KH is the day that one of those games makes as much money as those ones do. On the off hand, I'm kinda glad that they really don't do much with Chrono or Manna or any of their other franchises. I'd rather stick with my happy memories of those games than have them just become money sinks as Square releases spin off after spin off.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I own The 3rd Birthday, but I've yet to play it (busy with other games). I'll get around to it eventually... "eventually" as in maybe a few years from now, but from what I hear, there's a good chance the first game will still be my favorite in the series.

As for the Chrono games, you can't touch Trigger; that game is too much of a timeless classic, and the fact it was ported to the 3DS and people still bought it shows that the game has stood the test of time. Chrono Cross is also a good game. Not as memorable or as beloved as Trigger, but it's still solid. Yes, the characters are different and there's pretty much nothing in the way of tying the two games together, but isn't that what Final Fantasy was as well? Final Fantasy II was nothing like the first one in story, world or characters, and that became a tradition in the series, with the only things becoming recognizable are things like the Victory Fanfare, Chocobos, Tonberries, etc.. Who's to say the Chrono series never intended to do that with their games?

As for other Square IPs - namely, the Mana series - they ought to just give the series a rest. Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu), Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, Legend of Mana, and Sword of Mana were great and solid games, but then they wanted to make more and more which resulted in games like Dawn of Mana, Heroes of Mana, and Children of Mana, which were not well-received and generated mediocre sales. And yes, I've played them, and they weren't really great, Children of Mana in particular being very repetitive and boring. If they're going to make another Mana game, they really need to do it right, but with how far along gaming has come, fresh ideas are harder to come by.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Cross being a very different game from Trigger wouldn't really be an issue imo if it hadn't been set in the same world and decided to
kill off several of the main characters from what was previously a fairly lighthearted game overall.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Uh....you know that in reality
Robo is really the only one that's killed off, aside from Frog and Ayla for obvious reasons, right? Crono/Marle are just disappeared, and Lucca is kidnapped throughout it and never explained dead. Just saying.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I know I've said that I haven't played the game yet so I might be wrong,
but I do see them get listed as dead at times.

I really should play it before saying more, but some of the things I've read about Cross are really hard to accept. :/

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Livewire,
Lucca actually did die iirc. It was only Crono and Marle who were unconfirmed.

And Rutger, don't forget this is a game about time travel and dimensions. I'll leave it at that.
Also, Cross is really enjoyable once you start figuring things out. A lot of stuff revealed are clues and aren't just thrown out so it could take a few playthroughs.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Livewire,
Lucca actually did die iirc. It was only Crono and Marle who were unconfirmed.

And Rutger, don't forget this is a game about time travel and dimensions. I'll leave it at that.
Also, Cross is really enjoyable once you start figuring things out. A lot of stuff revealed are clues and aren't just thrown out so it could take a few playthroughs.

You sure, Minato? I've beaten the game a couple of times and don't remember that. But then again, I remember it being almost 100% on alternate dimensions and almost nothing on time travel.

finalark

SNORLAX

As for other Square IPs - namely, the Mana series - they ought to just give the series a rest. Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu), Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, Legend of Mana, and Sword of Mana were great and solid games, but then they wanted to make more and more which resulted in games like Dawn of Mana, Heroes of Mana, and Children of Mana, which were not well-received and generated mediocre sales. And yes, I've played them, and they weren't really great, Children of Mana in particular being very repetitive and boring. If they're going to make another Mana game, they really need to do it right, but with how far along gaming has come, fresh ideas are harder to come by.
This is why I think its good that sometimes series go for years and years without sequels. Gives us time to start missing it and so when a sequel does come out its something special. And honestly, I'd rather be sitting around waiting for Chrono Break rather than see the Chrono games devolve into having a thousand spin offs like KH or a steady decline in quality like Mana.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
This is why I think its good that sometimes series go for years and years without sequels. Gives us time to start missing it and so when a sequel does come out its something special. And honestly, I'd rather be sitting around waiting for Chrono Break rather than see the Chrono games devolve into having a thousand spin offs like KH or a steady decline in quality like Mana.
But...but we could get a "Chrono Origins" series!

Chrono Origins: Frog
Chrono Origins: Magus
Chrono Origins: Robo
Chrono Origins: Ayla

Can't you just feel the hype?!! :bee:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You sure, Minato? I've beaten the game a couple of times and don't remember that. But then again, I remember it being almost 100% on alternate dimensions and almost nothing on time travel.
I guess it wasn't straight-forward, but it felt more implied for her fate compared to the others.

As for time travel, yeah, dimensions was a big focus, but time travel was kinda part of Cross imo.
Stuff like
Chronopolis and Dinopolis along with anything related to the time crash. And I considered unifying the dimensions as something dealing with time travel since stuff did change.

finalark

SNORLAX
But...but we could get a "Chrono Origins" series!

Chrono Origins: Frog
Chrono Origins: Magus
Chrono Origins: Robo
Chrono Origins: Ayla

Can't you just feel the hype?!! :bee:
Only if the games did nothing but complicate the plot to needless levels are were released on no less than three different consoles.

/istronglydisagreewiththedirectionofthekhseries

Minato

穏やかじゃない
/istronglydisagreewiththedirectionofthekhseries
Yeah, I don't like it as well. I also wish the series was more... self-contained with its plot.
I loved the first one because of its simplicity. KH2 was kinda cool but it felt way too anime.

Edit: I also found it funny after KH2, Nomura said the series won't have countless sequels since he doesn't want it to drag on...

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, I don't like it as well. I also wish the series was more... self-contained with its plot.
I loved the first one because of its simplicity. KH2 was kinda cool but it felt way too anime.

Edit: I also found it funny after KH2, Nomura said the series won't have countless sequels since he doesn't want it to drag on...

Well, we all know how that turned out.

Moneymoneymoneymoooooonnney. MOOOOOONNNNEEEYYYY! :cool:

finalark

SNORLAX

I agree. IMO KH1 was really solid because, as you said, the simplicity. The plot is straightforward, a kid is the chosen one and has to fight soul eating monsters as he tries and find his friends. Throw in a few of twists at the end and a ton of Disney and Final Fantasy nostalgia and you have a plot that works. You want lore? Then go read the Ansem Reports you kept picking up along the way.

Then two came along saturated in melodrama, anime archetypes and a plot that I thought was deep when I was 11 because I didn't know what the **** was going on. Then upon replaying it at 17 I found that the plot still didn't make any sense and was just poorly written.

On the game play side I actually like KH1 a lot more the. The combat in 2 was way to QTE based for me to really enjoy. Oh, and the fact that KH1 actually had **** to do after you finish the game was a huge bonus. In one you had a ton of bonus bosses to fight, collectibles to find, arena challenges to complete, and tons of stuff to forge. KH2? A shorter arena, only one bonus boss, forging and I guess Gummi if you really want to get max rank on those.

Actually I think the only thing I really say was better in KH2 were the Gummi segments.

LOL NOPE.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
1.23 comes out for FFXIV Soon. More filler stuff till 2.0, but still fun.

Working on maxing everything out and getting rich as **** for 2.0

Also.. working on dumb achievements D:

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I didn't think anyone played FFXIV. Even though I hear that things have improved i'm done paying monthly fee's for MMO's.

Matt07

Smash Master
Chrono Cross remains one of my favourite video games soundtracks ever. I'd like a 'remastered' edition of the OST, to hear how it sounds with the 'upgraded' software from today.

Also recently beat Final Fantasy IV DS, it was a good game. I liked the story and the pacing and of course, the music. It was difficult for me (almost as hard as III). I was around level 80 when I beat it. Now I'm slowly starting to play The After Years.

Top Bottom