• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

rinisan

Smash Apprentice
I just watched Berserk. Holly bull it's hardcore shxx!!! I can't believe that's a TV version anime for kids! No it's definitely rated not for kids at all! More like a 18+ movie been re-written into a TV series!

rinisan

Smash Apprentice
Hell yea! I'm still dead inside right now after watching it. Killed by its speechless ending.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The first episode of the anime of deadman wonderland failed to draw me in.

Anyone know if any of the rest of the series is good?

It felt a little ridiculous, and I wasn't sure if I should take it seriously or not.

Shows like FLCL and Paranoia agent do this in a very good way, but I had real problems with Deadman wonderland

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Shows like FLCL and Paranoia agent do this in a very good way, but I had real problems with Deadman wonderland

Somebody mentions Paranoia Agent...? I must serenade them.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Paranoia Agent was really good. If anyone else hasn't seen it yet, you should.

Smooth Criminal

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Just watched all of Kids on the Slope today. Wow, it was just a wonderfully simple anime, and the music was beautiful. Think these splice of life types hit me the hardest, powerful stuff.

The guitar...

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Really looking forward for Sword Art Online to finish airing so I can kinda marathon through it, Some of my favorites I haven't seen in the OP are Umineko, Clannad/Kanon, School Days (0_o) (did not intend for that to be an emoticon, kinda lol) Heavens Lost Property, Ano Hana, Madoka Magica & Witchblade

asianaussie

Smash Hero
a lot of those are the sort of thing that put people off anime in the first place - big, bug-eyed characters, copious amounts of fanservice, strangely-clad schoolgirls etc

this thread has lost its way, it's become an anime general :\

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Clannad is definably an amazing anime that has very little if not no fan service. This is an anime you can watch with the family IMO. (the whole moral of the story in Clannad is about family after all)

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Anyone know of any good recent action anime. Can't seem to find anything out there that interests me. My tastes are very flexible. My only restriction is that the series needs to be at least 20 episodes. I can't get into it if it's shorter than that. Can anyone help me out?

The last anime I truly enjoyed was Mirai Nikki, so that could give you an idea of what I'm into.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm reading Rebirth: The Lunatic Taker right now. It's really, really good, but...

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ;_;

This is just one of those series that I want to Westernize in certain areas. I know that sounds crazy and borderline hypocritical, but there are certain shounen-like themes and commonalities extant that just come damn near close to ruining it for me.

I'm in love with the core ideas of the story and the setting so much. Mortals destined to die get a second chance at life by acquiring Death's Accessories, seemingly harmless and expensive-looking trinkets. From thereon, they become Takers, quasi-immortal beings able to live onward past the point of their anointed demise...so long as they take the lives of other Takers, or the Tenshi, angels that only appear during midnight on a full moon when all time stands still. A mystical brand on a Taker's chest denotes a fluctuating number; the more power they expend to fuel their unique power/artifact (called a Sorcery Device, the artifact they acquired prior to their death), or the longer they go without killing another Taker or a Tenshi, the number drops. This represents the amount of time they have before their life expires; if it hits zero, the Taker dies, burning down into ash.

Freaking cool, right? The story isn't great by any stretch of the imagination (mostly typical shounen fare, especially in how it unfolds), but the characters themselves are well-done and very interesting. Reiji Tachibana has the idealistic anime protagonist syndrome, sweet and loving and caring to a fault, the kinda **** that makes you wanna go "d'awwww" and punch him in the mouth. Ayaka Tachibana, Reiji's sister, however...heh, heh. She's a sociopath bent on "taking care" of her brother at all costs. The crazy here is actually handled quite well, and it makes sense for Ayaka's character (ESPECIALLY when you find out about their sordid past). There are a couple of other characters, but a lot of 'em either don't have staying power or they're more or less just there to fill pages.

As for the things I'd wanna change? Personally, I can live with the fanservice that crops up in there. That sort of thing pervades just about every damn aspect of our entertainment nowadays, so I'm pretty indifferent to it. Same can be said for the almost fetishistic incest taboo and blatant sexuality in some of the scenes (although I don't really care for the former as it's a mechanic of the story). But all of the "power levels," "classifications," "special exceptions to the rule 'cause of y and x!" The story and the setting has a lot of that in there, and it just makes me sad. I don't care for all of that earth-shaking potential of martial prowess and "powering up." Give me more of the stuff that's distilled after the fact, with the interactions between the characters and the ramifications of their actions. I want to go deeper, explore the characters even further.

(In other words: I want less action, more talking. ;_;)

I know there's a lot of other good anime/manga out there that isn't like this. I also don't think what's there in Rebirth: The Lunatic Taker is completely terrible, either. It's just...anime/manga frustrate me sometimes. That's all.

Smooth Criminal

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Yikes! This is one dead *** thread. Why is it even stickied?

rinisan

Smash Apprentice
I was attracted by NO.6 from the 1st episode. Makes me want to buy its DVD. It's such a touching and intriguing Sci-fi story. The ending could be better, though, IMO. I wonder if they plan to do a 2nd season or movie or something like that, given an ending like that.

Anyone here ever seen Gungrave? I'm thinking about checking it out
It's a solid choice imo. There's like 2 parts to the anime though. First part is like a mafia type story setting with all the themes of honor, etc. 2nd takes a weird turn into some sort of Sci-Fi monster battles though, I found it weird when it took that point but yeah.

However the special thing about this anime is how they play out a certain friendship, which is the central drama to the story. It's worth watching over that.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I was attracted by NO.6 from the 1st episode. Makes me want to buy its DVD. It's such a touching and intriguing Sci-fi story. The ending could be better, though, IMO. I wonder if they plan to do a 2nd season or movie or something like that, given an ending like that.
I just started watching NO.6, very nice art style & weird kind of futuristic area. Only on episode 2 right now, but it's good so far

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@The Nameless Wanderer- Okay, thanks, that kinda reminds me of how Trigun becomes more of a sci-fi-ish anime as the series goes on

I guess that's more than coincidence since from what I hear, the creator of Trigun also created Gungrave

BTW, Death Note is an amazing anime, L and Mello are my two favorites

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
For those into sport animes i find Kuroko's basketball and Knight in the Area (soccer) to be quite entertaining. Both have finished their first season (25 and 37 episodes respectively)

MarcheR

Smash Rookie
NNID
mars
3DS FC
1177-7044-9396
To the many months old post, I found Deadman Wonderland hugely gripping (but I've only read it as a manga). The introduction was just enough to pull me in, and the developing character attributes (hard to not spoil) really kept me in.

Things I didn't see on the first page that I loved:

Detective Conan (or Case Closed) - possibly considered generic, but a long episodic anime/manga about an excellent high school junior who is transformed into a child, and must try to investigate the shady group who administered the usually lethal drug to him. For anyone looking for long anime, this is absolutely the place to go I think, if you don't want bleach/naruto/dbz.

Trace - a manhwa that exists in translated forms around the Internet. Explores relationships formed by people who have X-men-ish powers, their constant conflict with supernatural monsters who began appearing at the same time as the powers, and manages to carry highly emotional conflict through its four volumes.

Liar's Game - manga (there's a live-action, but it's Japanese with subs) that follows an unhealthily naive young woman into the troubling underground competition named for the titular liar's game. While attempting to unravel the shadowy corporation behind the games, several recurring characters are enlisted as enemies or allies to improve the conflict of the story. The biggest draw to me is the puzzle of each game, and how the protagonists will abuse the rules to overcome the impossible odds that the enemies always throw at them, but there are at least a couple other aspects that I enjoy from it.

There's others, but I feel like they would push the line between 'manga for people who don't read manga' and 'manga for people who enjoy all that is good in life' :3

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If you haven't read a manga in YEARS, is it best to try and find where you left off, or start at the beginning?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Reading scans of a manga. I can't tell if they flipped the panels for American audiences, or if the story is just confusing...

Also, they put the chapters out of order, put in some chapters multiple times and some chapters are only half done...

I remember the manga at least being interesting last time I read it

Deposition

Smash Rookie
If you're down to read a funny manga, try out "It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular!" It's about a young shut-in girl who is socially awkward and gets into trouble/funny situations while going to school.

Many moments where you go "Hahahaha! Oh, that's sad. :("

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If you're down to read a funny manga, try out "It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular!" It's about a young shut-in girl who is socially awkward and gets into trouble/funny situations while going to school.

Many moments where you go "Hahahaha! Oh, that's sad. :("
I recommend people do NOT read this manga unless you like feeling bad or are sadistic.

that said, I recommend the manga "Baby steps" to anyone who likes sport mangas. This is the most realistic sport manga i've ever read. Sport is tennis, and main character starts off not even knowing how to play tennis.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Onepunch-Man is pretty new and it's really good. It was originally a webcomic by a guy who goes by ONE, but Yusuke Murata (the artist for Eyeshield 21) is now redrawing it. His art has evolved even more since Eyeshield, it's almost ridiculous now. Just a good manga overall too.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Onepunch-Man is pretty new and it's really good. It was originally a webcomic by a guy who goes by ONE, but Yusuke Murata (the artist for Eyeshield 21) is now redrawing it. His art has evolved even more since Eyeshield, it's almost ridiculous now. Just a good manga overall too.
It's on my plan to read. I've heard great things about it, so I'm interested.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Finally started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, given how many good things I've heard about it. I'm 4 episodes in, and am so far disappointed. Not due to the lack of action or anything, but simply because I find the psychology of the main character to right now be rather...boring. Of course, it hasn't been explained yet, but I hope something happens sooner than later.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
It really kicks up the development/analyses of characters after the first 8 episodes. Basically, they realize that there are characters other than Shinji and Rei.

Even though I love the show (it's my favorite), I do have to admit to admit that Shinji remains a whiny *****. Understandable, but still.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I hated Asuka

My favorite character was Rei

Strange, because IRL I don't go for girls like Rei, I probably go for girls closer to Asuka.

Maybe it's not because I am attracted to Rei, but I relate more to her than the other characters

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just finished episode 9. I can see what you meant by it picking up by episode 8. I'm starting to like Shinji. Dramatically improved from the first four episodes, given he actually has a pulse now.

Honestly though, I don't really "root" for any character. They are all annoying in one way or another.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Evangelion, like every mech anime ever, is overrated bull**** filled to the brim with horrible characters with a plot that tries so very hard to be deep but fails to be anything but giant robots being piloted by teenage *******.

And, before anyone says it; yes, everything I said I'd apply to TTGL.

edit: I looked at the list in the OP and so many of that crap would send people who normally don't like the medium running. Azumanga Daioh and Ouran High School Host Club? Are you kidding me? I know the OP hasn't been updated in 4/5 years but those were never good answers.

Top Bottom