• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Miharu

Smash Hero
Bull****, it was the second anime I ever saw right after Berserk. Combined, they are the shows that got me into anime. I think Haruhi is fine for first timers, they'll accept the strange things and realize they're watching a masterpiece. Btw, your avatar is awesome.

Also, Mai-Hime is a great show. I didn't really care for the first 9 or so eps, but then the show takes a drastic turn and becomes amazing. I loved it by the end. There's a sequel show to it called Mai-Otome, never watch it. It has the most nonsensical, contrived, disappointing conclusion I've ever seen.
Just saying; Haruhi was my second anime, and I didn't get any of the finer parts of the anime until my 3rd time watching it :/

And yes, Kallen is awesome.

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
Why do people be talking about samurai deeper kyo like it's the ****. it's not all that and a bag of chips. but that reminds me I want chips

P.S. lol@sailor poon tag

Reioumu

Smash Lord
I don't even remember everything I've watched...
=\
Monster
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Mushishi
Giant Robo
Rurouni Kenshin
Blue seed
Haruhi
Lucky Star
Gurren Lagann
Welcome to the NHK
Kodomo no Jikan
They are my noble masters
Hayate no Gotoku
Sakura Wars
All of the Gundams before Seed (Including some of the more obscure series)
Chrono Crusade
Rune Soldier
Those who hunt elves
Saiyuki
Blue Gender
Gasaraki
Evangelion
Gaogaigar
Getter Robo
Full metal panic
Nadesico
Super Robot Wars OG Divine Wars
All of the Miyazaki works
Chobits
City Hunter
Lupin
Oh my Goddess
Patlabor
Real bout high school
Devil Hunter Yohko
Cowboy bebop
Bubblegum Crisis
Ghost in a shell
Noir
Madlax
Love Hina
Gun Frontier
Harlock Saga
Gokusen
Cromartie high school
Vampire Princess Miyu

Ehh... I could keep going, but I think I'll just post a picture of my family's collection nearing the end of 2007 which I have watched most of it with my dad. Well not even counting all of the downloaded stuff we have burned on DVDs which contains a hell of a lot more than what's double stacked in these shelves.
>>PIC<<

Of course I wouldn't suggest all of them since my dad just got them on impulse, but a lot of them were good.
-Rei

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Ok there's a lot to choose from here.

So anyone, which one of these do you think I should watch first?
It's a hard say. I think everyone's best anime must fit their individual tastes. There's a couple animes that almost anyone can enjoy like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Rurouni Kenshin, GANTZ, Elfen Lied and Gankutsuou.

I personally enjoy psychology, philosophy and abstractness in my animes, so my absolute favorites are Evangelion, and Serial Experiments Lain. Paranoia Agent was also very good for that.

I suggest doing a little research. Use sites like Anime Source and the Anime Recommendation Database . See what people have rated as great, check out the plot on Wikipedia or something, and try them out for yourself.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
The Evangelion movie was terrible. I made the horrible mistake of seeing it when I was halfway into the show. I never watched another ep after I saw that twisted ****. I was 16 too, so it scarred me for life lol.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Ok there's a lot to choose from here.

So anyone, which one of these do you think I should watch first?
It depends a lot on your personal taste.

The list includes series from just about every genre, and I think all the stuff on the list is really good. You should be able to narrow it down to a few series by reading their genre and descriptions. If you want to ask about a few series in particular, I'd be happy to answer.

But I really don't know how to answer the question you asked. I don't know what kind of thing you like, or what you're looking for, or the level of violence you're comfortable with, or the volume of episodes you're willing to watch. So if you want me (or somebody else) to recommend something to you, just tell us what sort of thing to recommend.

xRisingForce

Smash Cadet
It's a hard say. I think everyone's best anime must fit their individual tastes. There's a couple animes that almost anyone can enjoy like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Rurouni Kenshin, GANTZ, Elfen Lied and Gankutsuou.

I personally enjoy psychology, philosophy and abstractness in my animes, so my absolute favorites are Evangelion, and Serial Experiments Lain. Paranoia Agent was also very good for that.

I suggest doing a little research. Use sites like Anime Source and the Anime Recommendation Database . See what people have rated as great, check out the plot on Wikipedia or something, and try them out for yourself.
Completely agreed. There are certain, great animes that've come to represent and symbolize anime as a whole and can be viewed as great under general consensus. That's like, 1% of anime though. The rest boils down to your tastes.

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Lucky Star

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Pani Poni Dash

School Days

Watch them now O_O
Someone new to anime shouldn't watch Lucky Star. Why? They wouldn't get a TON of the references. They have several references towards many games, and anime. Like Fullmetal Panic (By far, much better than Alchemist.) and Haruhi (Both of which the same company did. But they also have other blatant references like SGT Frog or Initial D. Lucky Star is definitely geared towards those who are more familiar with anime than others. (Though anime tenchou = best character :3)

And wtf @ school days lol. Nice boat.

I can't suggest anything really. As xRisingForce (Are you seriously the guitar player? o_O) and plasmawisp said. It really goes down to your personal tastes. I'm really broad with my tastes, but I like a lot of classic anime as well as some new ones. I'm also a super robot fan. Which I do actually fanboy over Gurren Lagann (lol look at avatar and sig), Getter Robo (and Shin Getter Robo), Mazinkaizer, Grendizer, Nadesico, Gaogaigar, Gundam (mainly the Universal Century ones, not so much on the rest), Giant Robo, etc. But I also love anime like Monster, Requiem from the darkness, LAIN, Mushi-shi, Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei(Farewell Mr. Despair), Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star), Fate Stay Night, Lucky Star, Fullmetal Panic, etc. Too much for me to list, I could literally go on a huge list to how much I actually enjoyed. I tend to stay away from a lot of hugely popular ones (as well as 300+ episode anime) and go for the less appreciated and lesser known.
-Rei

skins2153

Smash Cadet
"I don't think recentness had anything to do with Speed Racer tanking. Have you seen it? I walked out after 20 minutes. Horrible writing, poor direction, terrible dialog and even the races were crappy looking so it couldn't even deliver on a Fast and Furious level. Speed Racer is one of the worst films released to theaters in 2008. I think thats the real reason why it flopped.

Anyways, I think CB could be really good in live action. I mean, you really don't need to cover anything about the backstory. The show was basically laid out like a summer popcorn flick:

- people crack some jokes
- get into a fist fight
- crack more jokes
- slight detective work
- insert hot chick who kicks ***
- crack more jokes
- airplane dogfight
- more fist fights

Hollywood is excellent at doing stuff like that. Cowboy Bebop is basically a summer action-comedy set in outer space."

I agree with all of this. lol @ speedracer.

skins2153

Smash Cadet
Were getting Berserk directed by Mel Gibson starring Gibson from 20 years ago as Guts.
We are also getting death note directed by Spielberg

Did I mention that is this world we are all billionaires with Oprah's money and cant even afford to put gas in our planes?

Darkslash

Smash Master
Any one seen Gundam 00. It at first is like Gundam Wing but ends with Gundam Zeta standards.

After the Crap that was known as SEED(Seriously SEED?) and Destiny, Gundam 00 makes those 2 look like youtube poop Minus the funny.

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Any one seen Gundam 00. It at first is like Gundam Wing but ends with Gundam Zeta standards.

After the Crap that was known as SEED(Seriously SEED?) and Destiny, Gundam 00 makes those 2 look like youtube poop Minus the funny.
I haven't seen 00 yet. I've heard that I should see it and from what you've said, it's piqued my interests. I loved Zeta, and Gundam wing wasn't bad. hmm
-Rei

Darkslash

Smash Master
I haven't seen 00 yet. I've heard that I should see it and from what you've said, it's piqued my interests. I loved Zeta, and Gundam wing wasn't bad. hmm
-Rei
Yea I can't wait for the English Dub. ,its actually one of the anime i want to hear in English.
Amuro voice+Setsuna=Awesome

You should watch the first season fast S2 is coming in October

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Anime and manga for people who don tlike anime and mange

man how death note fit that for me, im all like wow whats this stupid show whos this stupid ryuk animal whats this stupid japan....10 min later.... ZOMG I MUST SEE MORE.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
I recommend Case Closed. I don't watch much anime and don't read manga but this show is great. To my knowledge they're still making new episodes and it's been around since the 80s.

It's about a teen/young man (Jimmy Kudo) detective trapped in a kids body (takes the name Conan Edogawa(sp)) who goes around solving crimes with his girlfriend and his father Detective Moore. While solving crimes, he's also trying to find out who turned him into a kid.

It doesn't have much continuation between episodes but there are a few, and no I haven't seen them all but it's great from what I've seen. It came on Adult Swim a few years ago, but they took it off a few months later (I've been renting the dvd sets).

Yeah it's your typical "who done it" show, but it's awesome. I don't know if there's a manga.

Maltoth

Smash Rookie
Since it's summer now, I need an anime show to watch...
What show would you guys recommend to me? I'm looking for a scifi kind of anime with spaceships and stuff. (Could I be anymore vague? :))
I already saw Gundam Wing, which was pretty awesome to me.
Other shows I saw were DBZ and Samurai X, the latter being pretty good too.
So, what would you recommend? :p

Darkslash

Smash Master
Since it's summer now, I need an anime show to watch...
What show would you guys recommend to me? I'm looking for a scifi kind of anime with spaceships and stuff. (Could I be anymore vague? :))
I already saw Gundam Wing, which was pretty awesome to me.
Other shows I saw were DBZ and Samurai X, the latter being pretty good too.
So, what would you recommend? :p
Code Geass. Its Awesome beyond max. Then in October go watch Gundam 00 Phase 2(i think thats what there gonna call it) Its Gundam Wing evolved by 3
if you get the joke then good for you.

Maltoth

Smash Rookie
Code Geass. Its Awesome beyond max. Then in October go watch Gundam 00 Phase 2(i think thats what there gonna call it) Its Gundam Wing evolved by 3
if you get the joke then good for you.
I'll definatly check out Code Geass, thanks for the tip. And no I don't get the joke :(.
Would you recommend seeing Gundam, Gundam Seed, Gundam Victory and all the other Gundam series too, or is Gundam 00 Phase 2 going to be much better than all those series?

Top Bottom