• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I don't really pay attention to Type-Moon's story lines...

I just play the fighting games that are made for them. HAHAH

Melty Blood is too good.

Fate Unlimited Codes looks toooo gooood.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
lol he wasn't required to do much. The story focused on Saber and we all love Saber :)
=D pretty much ;)

I don't really pay attention to Type-Moon's story lines...

I just play the fighting games that are made for them. HAHAH

Melty Blood is too good.

Fate Unlimited Codes looks toooo gooood.
Melty blood looks like sooooooo much fun >_> I really wanna get into it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
It's especially fun when you think "Ah, this character I'm playing had sex with Shiki in Tsukihime. Ah, this one too. And this one."

Apples

Smash Apprentice
Why is Death Note not on that list?
I've gotten a few ex-girlfriends into that show who despise anime. And honestly, I don't really like anime at all and I think Death Note is one of the best shows I've ever seen if not the best.

soap

Smash Hero
Why is Death Note not on that list?
I've gotten a few ex-girlfriends into that show who despise anime. And honestly, I don't really like anime at all and I think Death Note is one of the best shows I've ever seen if not the best.
um... death note is on the list.

is that why your name is apples?

Apples

Smash Apprentice
um... death note is on the list.

is that why your name is apples?
Soap, you're everywhere!!! lmao

I missed it then haha. About me changing my name... Death Note is not the reason, but it's sort of an added bonus. At the time, I was in a huge apple phase, I loved apples. I still like them, but not like I used to. Then I realized that Apples make appearances in some of my favorite media such as Death Note. So it sort of reflects my interests too.
And that shirt I was wearing at TYM1, that was a Death Note shirt. Said "Is it bad that I wanted Kira to win?" it also had a little apple on it, which is part of the reason I bought it. Then I realized... aw I should wear this to tournaments! haha

So... yeah, a little bit.

Is your name soap because you really like soap?

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Trigun needs to be mentioned if nobody has yet (I'm not going through 25 pages - I'm not that bored yet)

I absolutely loved it, and it was one of the first animes I got into. I've also gotten a few friends into it that never watched anime before.

Also, though it is missing a lot of backstory and was rushed towards the end, I enjoyed the anime just as much as the manga.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Really? No one has even mentioned Samurai 7? If you haven't watched this series, it is utterly awe-inspiring. Words cannot describe how awesome this series is.
Just watch the original movie.

It's 10x awesome the anime series.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I've never really seen a lot of anime, except for the likes of Dragonball, Pokemon and Digimon.

I have watched a bit of Ghost In The Shell. I can't remember if it was the original, or just part of a Stand Alone Complex episode, but I did enjoy it.
The Gundam series is fairly decent, but it's mainly aimed at teens.

Shin Chan is quite funny, and you'll get some good laughs from it every now and then.

If there's on anime I'd like to watch from that list it'd be the whole of Ghost in The Shell, or Cowboy Bebop.

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
Love Hina
and
Minami-Ke

Oh what Samurai7 got a movie? I only watched a few episodes of the Series, gotta catch up on that

Also some other Anime i could think of would be Gungrave. It has a very deep story imho (like Monster).
If i would have to recommend a movie id say Vampire Hunter D

thumbswayup

Smash Master
The anime Samurai7 is based off of the live action film Seven Samurai directed by Akira Kurosawa in 1954. It's appalling that people would watch the anime not knowing this.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
Unless you're just a striaght-up sucker for retardedly awesome over the top action, the original movie is still better imho.

Who do you reccomend for somebody that is only into bleach pretty much?

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Every single person in here should see Sword of the Stranger. Even for those who don't watch anime, this is an animated movie, and it's one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Watch it now NOW NOW GO GO

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Who do you reccomend for somebody that is only into bleach pretty much?
If someone likes Bleach then they like anime, which is not what this topic is for >: (

Anyone know where I can find a website with Monster episodes subbed?

Zeruda

Smash Cadet
I blame the crap aired on Adult Swim for the bad name that anime has. Not all anime is unproportionally drawn characters making over-the-top weird faces and sounds. I think if more good quality anime was shown, there'd be a lot less hate. Some people don't even realize that a great majority of cut scenes they see in video games is anime.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Have you ever seen Saint Seiya? I don't know the english translation name since as a child I watched it in Spanish and now I watch it in Japanese with Spanish subtitles. That said, it is HORRIBLE in English (as is a good majority of the anime), but I heard from one source that in Japanese with English subtitles it is still good.

That being said, you should check it out. It is hands down the greatest anime of all time. I guess I would label it something around Action, Philosophical, Drama (centered around the action)

It really is great, and if you can manage to watch the first Saga (which is the only reason many don't get into the show, the first Saga is great, but once after that it becomes AMAZING).

Anyway, your thoughts?

You can find it in English subs at www.narutowire.com

lol

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Have you ever seen Saint Seiya? I don't know the english translation name since as a child I watched it in Spanish and now I watch it in Japanese with Spanish subtitles. That said, it is HORRIBLE in English (as is a good majority of the anime), but I heard from one source that in Japanese with English subtitles it is still good.
Yeah, English dubs are notorious for being of variable quality (i.e. it's a surprise when there's a GOOD dub). Also, Saint Seiya->Knights of the Zodiac in English??? I'm not sure on that, but still...

Anyway, if there's a show that you'd want to consider checking out, it's Detroit Metal City. The best way I can think of to describe it is that it's the Japanese equivalent of Metalocalypse, only funnier. :chuckle:

EDIT: If you're interested, you can find it here: http://scum-scans.com/projects.php

OrangeTang

Smash Rookie
The list needs more 5cm Per Second, The Girl Who Lept Through Time, Monster, Kaiji, and One Outs

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
The Girl Who Leaped Through Time was a great movie, need to watch more anime movies >.<

kr3wman

Smash Master
That being said, you should check it out. It is hands down the greatest anime of all time. I guess I would label it something around Action, Philosophical, Drama (centered around the action)
Isn't that Hokuto no Ken's accurate description?

I don't know why you're talking about Saint Seiya or whatever earlier in your post.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Isn't that Hokuto no Ken's accurate description?

I don't know why you're talking about Saint Seiya or whatever earlier in your post.
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Who is Hokuto no Ken? And I am talking about Saint Seiya because it's my favorite anime and I brought it up... because again, it's my favorite anime. lol

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Hokuto no Ken is a show a couple of decades old about a martial arts guy in a post-apocalyptic future who touches people and causes them to explode.

for justice

It's either an anime for people who like anime, or people who think it's campy to the point of comedy.

Also Berserk is sad

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Lol wow funny bumping into this again and reading my old question. Honestly I'm very picky about my anime, I don't think I'd find that one too interesting. I'm thinking about looking up a psychological anime. Let's see how it turns out.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I disagree. I have yet to see an anime that is better dubbed than subbed.
Well, it should be that way since a lot of small subtle things are lost between translations.

Doesn't really make sense for say, an English dub to be superior to the original.

Top Bottom