• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

global-wolf

Smash Champion
You should put Eyeshield 21 on the list, it's absolutely amazing. If you haven't read the manga, go read it now! I'm not sure how the anime is.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You should put Eyeshield 21 on the list, it's absolutely amazing. If you haven't read the manga, go read it now! I'm not sure how the anime is.
Eyeshield 21 is amazing. I love it. The anime's alright. It goes a little slow at times and it doesn't cover last parts of the story.
So yeah, I also recommend the manga.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
no one's going to be putting anything on that list because the guy who made this thread either is never on or never looks at the thread. Unless a mod updates the list for us, it's not going anywhere. :(

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
JJBA (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
It has a very western feel. And @ times Feels like I'm reading A Fashion Magazine or something lol

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Right I want to watch something good. Not something that's ongoing but something that has a set ammount of eps, and dubbed into english.

Either that or if someone knows a link to english Cardcaptors give me a shout.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I assume everybody reads the mainstream stuff already so here are some lesser known ones:

"Love" manga

Mysterious Girlfriend X (quirky and sweet)
The World Only God Knows (not really a love manga more like Pokemon than anything else)
Sankarea (only 5 chapters thus far)

"Mindgames" manga

Gamble Fish
Saru Lock (hard to find)

"Shounen" manga

Toriko

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
i just watched some manga last night.

Dead Leaves.
never heard of it, but DVRed it and watched it.

if you like manga with a LOOOT of action(constant), then you might appreciate Dead Leaves(a short movie, so not really manga). the graphics were similar to that of comic books, imo.
short plot, no spoilers here.

1hr. eh, i would not say time wasted bc i can appreciate the concept.

im def gonna check out some the mangas mentioned by Lixivium.
thanks

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Alrighty, guys. I need a recommendation for something to watch. I like pretty serious stuff: Death Note, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, etc. Right now, I'm watching Ergo Proxy, and enjoying that a lot, but I'm gonna need something new soon.

Thoughts?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
WATCH TOKYO GODFATHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched this just yesterday, and it is quite the mental pore cleanser that I needed. Wonderful, heartwarming, life changing movie. Despite it being Japenese, I can safely say that this is my favorite Christmas movie. I loved the director before this movie, but this simply surpased my expectations, even for him. In fact Lyhtium, you might find taht any of his works would suit your needs. If you are looking for a series, no series is as short and sweet as Paranoia Agent. Then there are the obvious choices, Paprika and his film Perfect Blue. Really, any of his works will suffice your need for more serious anime.

However, I'm going to seperate his works as there level of magic realism varries greatly, and you might not want to watch such a surreal thing at the moment. So, from the most fictional to the realistic it would go:

Paparika
Millenium Actress
Paranoia Agent- this is half and half, starts off incredibly realistic, boils down into insanity
Tokyo Godfathers
Perfect Blue- no magic realism to be found here at all other than the direction itself.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I've already seen three out of those five, but I'll definitely have to check out Millennium Actress and Paranoia Agent. Thanks!

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Really got to watch the staple animes. Haent seen Evangelion yet.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is amazing imo.

Things are really getting good, I get teary at the emotional bits.

Definitely one of my faves animes.

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
@Lythium

Darker Than Black (Cool little mystery, if you liked Deathnote you'll like this)

Elfen Lied (EXTREMELY NSFW - I'm not kidding. It's an 18+ anime for a reason, but probably one of the best i've ever seen)

Noein (Action packed goodness)

Tokko (If it wasn't for the ending it'd be in my top 5 of all time)

Outlaw Star (A Classic)

Anyone watching any of the Spring 2010 animes? They've been...okay so far. Angel Beats is decent, Second season of K-On! is....well, K-On! and Arakawa is amazing.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Yojo-Han Shinwa Taikei is amazing. I'm really loving this style that's been popping up so lately, ya know, like the movie Mind Games. I really really cross my fingers that this becomes the new generic for anime's next decade in a huge fad, similar to manime in the 80s, mechamie in the 90s, femanime in 00s, and hopefully this magic realist take of the world will gain enuogh steam to be seen everywhere : D I'd love that, especially after 10 years of pretty boys, sparkling eyes, and galore of fan service.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Ooooooooooooooooooooooh my.

9 hours ago I watched Tekkon Kinkreet. I still have goosebumps. Might simply be the best movie I've ever seen.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
I Suggest JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
its awesome and it doesn't have that cliche look about it like alot of stuff out right now
the art is great the fights are awesome and the story isnt half bad

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
Elfen Lied is trash.
I lol'd.

I'm not going to argue taste with whatever, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you think Elfen Lied is trash, you either have no taste in anime or you're trolling :/. You realize Elfen Lied is like the benchmark that all adult anime/manga are pretty much put up against, right?

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I lol'd.

I'm not going to argue taste with whatever, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you think Elfen Lied is trash, you either have no taste in anime or you're trolling :/. You realize Elfen Lied is like the benchmark that all adult anime/manga are pretty much put up against, right?
I really hope you are joking. Elfen Lied is gratuitous violence with no story or reason for anything. If you're going to be super violent, have a story. Elfen Lied isn't a benchmark, it's a waste of time for anyone that bothers to give it a chance. Look at Berserk, the manga started way back in the 80s, and that manga/anime is more brutal and violent and distrubing than Lied could even dream to be. And yet that is my favorite anime and one the very best stories ever told.

Here's an example, remember that scene where we see Lucy kill for the first time in hef life? How she's a little girl and those boys IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL beat her dog to death? Explain to me how that isn't completely contrived. How are you going to expect me to believe kids in the first grade are going to randomly kill a dog just for lols?! And then there's that scene of pedophilia that shows WAY more than ever should have been shown (really, I knew the Japanese loved their lolis, but that's pushing it too ****ing far).

The show doesn't even try to have a decent plot, it's just an excuse for her to go around killing people and the fact that you enjoyed it on any kind of level speaks to what you value in the things you watch. Don't give me that benchmark bull****, this is mindless pathetic gore at every turn. How uninspired. And don't even get me started on that dismal and boring ending. One of the worst endings I think I've ever seen.

I will say, for shock value the show does a good job (and I'm talking about episode one mostly). They at least knew how to get your attention, but then you realize how superficial and uninteresting it gets and how life could be spent watching better things.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Currently reading Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai (The World God Only Knows) and Mysterious Girlfriend X. I'm also reading Kimi no Iru Machi (A Town Where You Live) as well, but not as much as the other two. Any other fans?
EDIT: I've also just finished Clannad a few weeks ago.

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
I really hope you are joking. Elfen Lied is gratuitous violence with no story or reason for anything. If you're going to be super violent, have a story. Elfen Lied isn't a benchmark, it's a waste of time for anyone that bothers to give it a chance. Look at Berserk, the manga started way back in the 80s, and that manga/anime is more brutal and violent and distrubing than Lied could even dream to be. And yet that is my favorite anime and one the very best stories ever told.

Here's an example, remember that scene where we see Lucy kill for the first time in hef life? How she's a little girl and those boys IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL beat her dog to death? Explain to me how that isn't completely contrived. How are you going to expect me to believe kids in the first grade are going to randomly kill a dog just for lols?! And then there's that scene of pedophilia that shows WAY more than ever should have been shown (really, I knew the Japanese loved their lolis, but that's pushing it too ****ing far).

The show doesn't even try to have a decent plot, it's just an excuse for her to go around killing people and the fact that you enjoyed it on any kind of level speaks to what you value in the things you watch. Don't give me that benchmark bull****, this is mindless pathetic gore at every turn. How uninspired. And don't even get me started on that dismal and boring ending. One of the worst endings I think I've ever seen.

I will say, for shock value the show does a good job (and I'm talking about episode one mostly). They at least knew how to get your attention, but then you realize how superficial and uninteresting it gets and how life could be spent watching better things.
You're dsoing exactly what I figured you'd do. "All Violence, no story." You're trying to compare anime to real life. For example, using the kids killing the dog. Would it happen in real life? Hell no. Does it contribute to the story? Yes. It shows what really triggered Lucy to first appear. It's not the most realistic means of doing it. But at the same time, it's trying to show the extremes of everything.

Have you even considered some of the social problems it deals with? Pedophilia, Child Abuse/Neglect just to start. We're not including exteme cases of bullying, either. Is it overviolent? Oh of course. Is the nudity too much? Definetly. But when you're saying "Blah blah blah there was no story and it sucked", I have to disagree. Have you read the manga? It would make a lot more sense if you haven't

Oh, and one other thing, have you looked at the characters? How truly mentally ill all of them are?

Pray Tell, if you're going to say the story was boring and uninteresting, what would you watch instead?

I'm basing a lot of my comments on the manga. I would suggest reading that before you judge Elfen Lied so harshly.

edit: Clarification stuff, trying to type this before i go out to eat with some friends, sorry if something's unclear.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Alrighty, guys. I need a recommendation for something to watch. I like pretty serious stuff: Death Note, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, etc. Right now, I'm watching Ergo Proxy, and enjoying that a lot, but I'm gonna need something new soon.

Thoughts?
Check out Elfen Lied, Its pretty graphic, but it's evenly good. Ghost in the shells a great pick, it even inspired The Matrix. Full Metal Alchemist and the new Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood are good too.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
Currently reading Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai (The World God Only Knows) and Mysterious Girlfriend X. I'm also reading Kimi no Iru Machi (A Town Where You Live) as well, but not as much as the other two. Any other fans?
EDIT: I've also just finished Clannad a few weeks ago.

yessss

i still haven't caught up since i stopped reading manga for a while

but kimi no iru machi is so good

and the world only god knows is hilarious

i still need to read mysterious girlfriend x, i remember someone recommended it to me.

i'll try to get to it soon

have you read suzuka? same author as kimi no iru machi, same universe actually.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
You're dsoing exactly what I figured you'd do. "All Violence, no story." You're trying to compare anime to real life. For example, using the kids killing the dog. Would it happen in real life? Hell no. Does it contribute to the story? Yes. It shows what really triggered Lucy to first appear. It's not the most realistic means of doing it. But at the same time, it's trying to show the extremes of everything.

Have you even considered some of the social problems it deals with? Pedophilia, Child Abuse/Neglect just to start. We're not including exteme cases of bullying, either. Is it overviolent? Oh of course. Is the nudity too much? Definetly. But when you're saying "Blah blah blah there was no story and it sucked", I have to disagree. Have you read the manga? It would make a lot more sense if you haven't

Oh, and one other thing, have you looked at the characters? How truly mentally ill all of them are?

Pray Tell, if you're going to say the story was boring and uninteresting, what would you watch instead?

I'm basing a lot of my comments on the manga. I would suggest reading that before you judge Elfen Lied so harshly.

edit: Clarification stuff, trying to type this before i go out to eat with some friends, sorry if something's unclear.
No, I have not read the manga, and that would probably explain a lot. However, we're looking at the anime here, and by itself it is garbage. I do believe you that the manga might make it better because that's definitely the case for my favorite anime/manga Berserk (and since you asked, that's what I'd rather watch any day of the week than one frame of Lied again).

People always say the manga for things is almost always better than the anime. Now, I haven't read or watched enough to know if that's true but I can tell you for Berserk it is, and I just wish Lied hadn't been so distasteful. I don't mind the kind of stuff they show (Berserk pushes the envelope WAY harder in the manga), but to leave a bad taste in my mouth with no rhyme or reason is bad story telling.

You should probably just tell people to read the manag instead of watching the show.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116

i really hate it when people base opinions on elfen lied solely on the anime
ok yes the anime was not that good when you compare to the manga for reasons such as
underdeveloped characters/plot and cramming 60 chapters into 13 episodes.
but read the manga! so much better and almost twice as long

Check out Elfen Lied, Its pretty graphic, but it's evenly good. even though ive never seen im going to say it is good. Ghost in the shells a great pick, it even inspired The Matrix. Full Metal Alchemist and the new Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood are good too.
you haven't even seen elfen lied so you can't say much so ill fix it for you

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I remember seeing something about I''s way back when I was unknown to most of the anime world. I should check it out whenever I have the time.
@-Rei-: I'll probably look at Suzuka when I finish whatever chapter Kimi no Iru Machi is up to by the time I get to whatever was finished.
Also looking forward to The World God Only Knows anime.
EDIT: Anyone else got any more slice-of-life series? Really like those.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Out of all the manga i read i wouldnt put elfen lied in my top 10
i dont think the ending was that good. and i find Harems REALLY annoying.
I mean it did answer alot of questions the anime left untouched but i wouldnt recommend it to someone who isnt interested in anime or manga.

Ill give a little list of stuff i would recommend for people who dont like anime/manga
Vagabond
Pluto
Berserk
Battle Angel Alita
Battle Angel Alita Last Order
Vinland Saga
Yotsuba
Gantz

Top Bottom