• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gears of War 3

S

smash brawl player 99021

Good stuff, Eddie. That was a good 7 hours of Gears. :awesome:
Had a Rampage or two, got an "ace" with the Gnasher...and some other trollish stuff.

K/D 1.7
W/L 3.2

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Ive been done for the night since before i posted that. Idk my stats off the top of my head. but heres what i know for sure:

level 51 have over 500 gnasher kills, over 500 retro kills, have over 100 headshots, and have over 1200 assists.

No boosting, im too proud and too competitive to boost.

/eflex/nolifebesidesgearsandwork

:phone:

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
0 sawed-off kills btw.

Yeah i no lifed it on wednesday, i called in sick to work and played from like 8 until thursday morning. I also played from 9:30 am until like 9:30 pm today. Had breaks sprinkled in there, but i was never too far away from my gears fix.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The combination of the SO and the multiple spawn locations has killed all the strategy that used to exist in KoTH. The SO makes circle battles overly simplistic, and makes capturing a circle in certain spots nearly impossible when there are at least 3 SO's present.

The spawns take away the ability to forsee enemy attacks. With the new spawns, you pretty much never no where your enemy will come from, and cannot prepare for it. Going to get a certian weapon is always incredibly dangerous because enemies can spawn near you at any time.

KoTH is pretty bad right now.

Gears 3's MP, in general, is not as challenging as Gears 2's was. The MP is SO SIMPLE, that neither my teammates nor I have ever had to make a plan for anything. The game has pretty much evolved into just running around and shooting. Even attempting to do somethign smart is often punished by the SO, or by some stupid new rule put in place (warzone rules in KoTH, Man Up in Warz/Exe leading to massive camping/ the SO being stupid in general.)

Pretty much all of Gears 3's problems can be rightfully blamed on the sawed off.

Also, here's a very interesting video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XETPxObE5x0

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I was playing with my friend and I think I can see why people ***** and whine about the SO. Someone came up behind him and SO'd him, to which he moaned about the weapon until I pointed out that he walked up behind him, a Gnasher would've killed him too.

Later he got SO'd after he ran head first into a Savage Drone, to which he whined, then later he did the same thing and got SO'd again. I pointed out that the only person in their team that has a SO is the Savage Drone, so why did he get up close to it the 2nd time when he knew it had a SO?

In this game I have had no problems with that gun. I can count the amount of times I've lost to it with my Gnasher on one hand. SO's can never win power weapon duels and all they ever seem to do is run away, giving you the power weapons, and it's the power weapons that win the game, not the Gnasher or the SO. This is why I've played 104 matches and (including my quits) only have 12 losses, and 950 kills with a 2.8 K/D. The SO is a joke weapon, the Gnasher is far superior.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
The sawed off has a bigger 1shot gib range than the gnasher does. "Completely ineffective beyond melee range" is 100% bull**** and one of the biggest lies in the history of videogames.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I was playing with my friend and I think I can see why people ***** and whine about the SO. Someone came up behind him and SO'd him, to which he moaned about the weapon until I pointed out that he walked up behind him, a Gnasher would've killed him too.

Later he got SO'd after he ran head first into a Savage Drone, to which he whined, then later he did the same thing and got SO'd again. I pointed out that the only person in their team that has a SO is the Savage Drone, so why did he get up close to it the 2nd time when he knew it had a SO?

In this game I have had no problems with that gun. I can count the amount of times I've lost to it with my Gnasher on one hand. SO's can never win power weapon duels and all they ever seem to do is run away, giving you the power weapons, and it's the power weapons that win the game, not the Gnasher or the SO. This is why I've played 104 matches and (including my quits) only have 12 losses, and 950 kills with a 2.8 K/D. The SO is a joke weapon, the Gnasher is far superior.

The problem with the Sawed Off is that its easy freaking easy to use. Plus the gib range of the Sawed Off is longer than the gnasher. If they made it like it was in the beta, where you had to be right in someone's face to get the one shot kill I wouldn't be complaining as much. Sure you're friend might have been killed by the gnasher at that range, but here's the thing, the gnasher would actually have to be pointing at your friend, the sawed off's crosshairs are huge(yea I know its technically a dot, but they just did that to give the illusion that the true crosshairs aren't huge). The sawed off doesn't have to point directly at your friend, your friend could be a little to the left or a little to the right and it still would kill him. With the gnasher, the crosshairs actually has to be right on your friend to gib him.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
The problem is that people would always go for gibs with the gnasher in gears 1/2. People didn't TRY to down. They TRIED to gib, and they had to practice and play a lot to get those gibs.
The sawed off eliminated that factor that made people have to try to get gibs. You just get in gib range. You don't have to aim correctly. You automatically force your opponent to run away because they're afraid of how little work you have to do to get a kill.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
The problem is that the effective range for the sawed off is better. It takes 2 shots to down some1 with a gnasher and still be just slightly outside the SO range.
They take one step forward they win with one shot while ur cocking ur gun for shot 2

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Of course the SO has a farther gib range than the Gnasher, the Gnasher has 3 times the range of the SO so they need to counter balance it by making the gib range farther.

Even with it's increased range you can 2 shot down people with the Gnasher before they get within SO gib range, and the SO can't down so you don't have to worry about it happening back to you. Because of this the SO can't approach, just walking backwards slowly and hardaiming 2 shots completely destroys SO users, and in cover it's even easier as there's no chance of them getting near you then.

Edit:

Lol ninja'd, but hey at least we said the same thing.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Good stuff, Eddie. That was a good 7 hours of Gears. :awesome:
Had a Rampage or two, got an "ace" with the Gnasher...and some other trollish stuff.

K/D 1.7
W/L 3.2
Good **** Connor. Feels good to be playing with ya again.

I ended the night with a 2.1 K/D. Can't remember my W/L... Probably not too great.

This is why I've played 104 matches and (including my quits) only have 12 losses, and 950 kills with a 2.8 K/D.:phone:
Wow, seriously? Do you only play with friends or something? That's the highest W/L ratio and one of the highest K/Ds I've seen yet...

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I wish my W/L was better, but joining in progress only to lose the match 1 minute later while in that one minute I already manage to be leading everyone by at least 5 points is annoying as hell.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Wow, seriously? Do you only play with friends or something? That's the highest W/L ratio and one of the highest K/Ds I've seen yet...
I play with my best friend, who is better than me. There is another 3 people who you'll probably see me playing with but for 2 of them this is their first gears game so we play horde almost exclusively with them.

Jo is better than me, so the only time I can get MVP is when I'm not playing with him whereas he almost has Superstar Cole. Still, this games really easy and he doesn't carry me hence my high K/D.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
i almost did 3x, almost did
twice. you know what 2 parts im talkin' 'bout

Ive q'd up tdm by myself and the past few games have been really lame. Going off what i see, playing vs high level ppl makes games take longer and are much more campy and less fun. Alottttt less shotguns and a ton of ppl hiding with their ARs are at the ready. I adjusted and went 7-1 last game, but i didnt have too much fun.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
i almost did 3x, almost did
twice. you know what 2 parts im talkin' 'bout

Ive q'd up tdm by myself and the past few games have been really lame. Going off what i see, playing vs high level ppl makes games take longer and are much more campy and less fun. Alottttt less shotguns and a ton of ppl hiding with their ARs are at the ready. I adjusted and went 7-1 last game, but i didnt have too much fun.

Considering how strong ARs are, the game is about getting map control with angles etc, just like GoW2.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Getting bared from the casual playlist when you're ****ing garbage at this game is real ****ing cool.

Seriously, I've had one good game (It was a 7-0, it wasn't even that good.) and Epic decides that I belong in the standard playlist, with people leagues better than me.

****ing bull****... how am I supposed to learn how to play this game when I get decimated from the minute I do anything?

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Uh, it makes you better at the game through practice? If you learn how to kill things, the game gets a lot easier.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
But why bots over other players? Are bots smarter? Does it help with tech skill?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I really don't understand.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Practice general Shotgun-battling, general situations, etc.
Bots won't always beat you mercilessly. Play against Casual bots.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Because you won't ruin your K/D while you're learning the game.
And yes, it can help you learn how to maneuver and learn the maps.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
my friend and i did some weapon testing tonight, i recorded and and am gonna upload it to youtube. ill link it here

but here is what we found:
the sawed-off does infact have more range than the gnasher
the snub pistol is like the best gun in the game
the hammerburst is real mediocre and terrible and close range
the gorgon beats the boltok at medium range

all of those are no-active's aiming at the chest.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Its really stupid that you have to pay 80 microsoft points to get the crimson omen skin for the lancer when you can unlock the crimson omen skin without paying anything for the other 4 guns.

The SO is atrociously broken as **** in Gears 3, so I have officially switched to it. The weapon is disgusting and makes me want to vomit, but there's no point in using the Gnasher with the SO being the way it is. The lack of fun I have from shotgun battles now is now being redeemed by the amount of enjoyment I get from people's complaining and discontent when I blast them into smithereens.

This game has made a monster out of me.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ABrmQ0B3jM

So basically, any time a gnasher user has to try to gib a SO user, they have to enter the SO user's gib range BEFORE THEY'RE EVEN IN GNASHER GIB RANGE. Meaning whenever that SO user is around a corner, you've got to get even closer to him to gib him than he has to gib you. As you can see, the Gnasher's gib range is TERRIBLE, whereas the SO's is pretty much everywhere. This is such a stupid weapon.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Just down him then, the Gnasher has 3 times the range of the SO and it's 2 shot down.
Actually, I don't think this is the case. More often than not, when someone misses a SO shot, the gnasher is outside of an effective down range. They'll run in, miss, then turn tail and the gnasher's bullets don't do a thing. I'm considering doing gnasher range tests, because in my experience, the gnasher is basically useless outside of close range (I.E. the SO's gib range). I've been paying close attention and I don't even see the reticule turn red from mid range. Doesn't take long to get from mid to close, and if the gnasher doesn't down before they can get to close, it's a free kill. I may do a video about this in the near future to support with evidence (or, of course, the evidence may go against my observations.)

Also, I'd like to point out, that saying "just down them" doesn't make the SO any less broken. There are many situations in the game where CQC can't be avoided, especially in gametypes like KoTH, TDM, CTL, and Wingman. Staying at range isn't always feasible.

Anyways, when I see SO users I just switch to my lancer, because fighting it with a gnasher is almost useless

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I can't think of a CQC situation that you can get into without seeing the SO user approach. They can come up behind you, but so can Gnasher users, and they can camp back and give you the power weapons, so that's not a problem.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Just curious what AR do you guys use?

It seems as if all 3 of them really have their own distinct advantages this time around.
I mostly use the Lancer, been using the Retro Lancer lately and I'm liking it. Just firing in single shots with the retro can be good for finishing people off from long range. Freaking beast at close range. Hammerburst is kinda eh, I love semi-auto weapons in most games but in gears most of the time enemies usually run too fast to keep firing accurately on them, much easier to do with full auto weapons. I've done well occasionally with it though. And the Lancer is just all-around great.

Top Bottom