• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gears of War 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I agree with most that you said, but despite the flaws that the game has, you can still be very good at it. If people are gonna try to rush you with a shotgun, then why not punish them w/ a hb? Nothing nooby about that at all. Only problem is that it encourages camping.

Personally I use the shotgun more simply b/c it's just more fun to use vs camping w/ a hb. But like I said earlier, I'm willing to play a game or two b/c I'm a pretty consistent player, hammerburst aside. I recently broke my Gears 2 disk, so I have to wait a couple of days to buy another one back. Add my gamertag below if you want to play me at all, but if you dont, then that's your choice.
How'd your disk get broken? You break it out of frustration?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
How'd your disk get broken? You break it out of frustration?
Accidentally dropped my controller on the 360 while the game was still running. The disk now has a huge scratch in it. gf microsoft

Mainstream gamer much?
Ok I play (and enjoy) Halo, Call of Duty, and Gears.
I also enjoy the Pokemon series, the SSB series, Zelda, Metroid, and Mario.
Oh, I even enjoy various RPGs such as Knights of the Old Republic, Chrono Trigger, and even wacky ones like Paper Mario.
Did I mention I LOVE MGS4 on my PS3?

...Now that I think about it, most of the above games are pretty mainstream arent they? Therefore, my credibility as a "hardcore" gamer is lesser than yours right?

/sarcasm

said the competitive brawler
Serin just got buuuurned. :chuckle:

Skler

Smash Master
Once I get back to school I'll be hopping on Gears more often, even though the connection there appears to be made from two paper cups and a string.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
When I played Gears 2 I was severely dissapointed. Epic tried too hard to add new aspects into the game and by doing so, ruined the game itself. It feels nothing like Gears 1 and therefore was not what I had intended to spend my money on. I knew there would be new weapons, but I was hoping the physics would stay the same (like how brawl turned out). But unfortunately it was not gears that I bought, just some campy spam your lancer and chainsaw game.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Today I was determined to get the achievement for completing all 50 waves on a map in Horde mode in Gears of War 2 and I did it!

Me and a friend played with 3 randoms and it was 'Day One' as our map. We only failed (as in we all died) 3 times! Only took about 4 hours! During wave 47 me and my friend had to clutch the wave up because our 3 other teammates died. Sooooo intense!

VERY satisfying lol. The achievement should be worth more than 30 GS IMO.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
If anyone wants to add my gamertag, we can play some time. I've pretty much been playing this game for the last few months after getting bored of Cod4, and I've gotten pretty ridiculous at it. My somewhat mediocre connection kind of stops me from having decent shot gun fights now and then (thus resorting to the HB, sigh), and it's not gears 1, of course, but I'm always willing to play. My gamertag is Devastation170. Feel free to add me, just tell me before hand so I know who it is I'm adding. :p

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
When I played Gears 2 I was severely disappointed. Epic tried too hard to add new aspects into the game and by doing so, ruined the game itself. It feels nothing like Gears 1 and therefore was not what I had intended to spend my money on. I knew there would be new weapons, but I was hoping the physics would stay the same (like how brawl turned out). But unfortunately it was not gears that I bought, just some campy spam your lancer and chainsaw game.
Correction: the SHOTGUN felt nothing like Gears 1. Hence your chainsaw bashing. Why is that weapon so loathed in today's multiplayer? :dizzy:

llxhellrazorxll

Smash Rookie
i dont know. i loved gears of war 1, but gears of war 2 can be just as fun if you let it. i was like you once, i played it for a week or 2 then casted as a failure, and a waste of money. But if you give it some time you'll love like you did gears of war 1. maybe even more,

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Here is some information on the 5th TU for GoW2

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=702407

"The following fixes and improvements are included in Title Update 5.

Improvements

Title Update 5 makes these new improvements:

* Adds the ability to view friendly-planted grenades in Tac/Com.
* Removes the cringe caused when a smoke grenade forces a player to drop a meatshield.
* Adds bonus points to the winning leader's score in the Guardian game mode if the leader successfully survives the winning round.
* Changes the postmatch Invite button to only invite former teammates, so a player can create parties more easily instead of trying to create a Private Match that includes both teams from the former match.
* Returns the roadie-run camera movements to the way they were in Gears of War 1 by decreasing the dampening values.

Exploit Fixes

Title Update 5 fixes these possible exploits, where under certain circumstances:

* A player could modify the game's behavior due to a security vulnerability introduced in an earlier title update.
* A player could use a turbo controller to artificially maximize their rate of fire.
* A player could mantle a planted shield in competitive multiplayer to hide inside geometry or to travel outside of the map. The ability to mantle shields was removed in competitive multiplayer but remains in Horde and Campaign.

Title Update 5 also fixes a number of other, lesser-known exploits.

General Fixes

Title Update 5 fixes these other issues as well:

* An issue that contributed to the "sticky walk" problem, where a player's avatar could stutter after the player picks up a weapon.
* An issue that could prevent players from hearing the "boom" telegraph from Boomers.
* An issue that could cause looping audio to continue playing after the player who triggered that sound is killed.
* An issue that could cause multiple names to be highlighted yellow on the scoreboard instead of the name of the player viewing the scoreboard.
* An issue that prevented the game from granting the earned experience points from the fiftieth wave of Horde.
* An issue that caused players at level 100 to see the "congratulations" message after every match.

Title Update 5 also made additional small bug fixes."

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
That update sounds fun. The cringing part while holding a meat shield was dumb, so I'm glad they're doing something about that, same goes for the shield planting crap. But, still, my shotgun/sniper delay lag will be persistent. Sigh.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
* Adds the ability to view friendly-planted grenades in Tac/Com.
* Removes the cringe caused when a smoke grenade forces a player to drop a meatshield.
Awesome update F8AL. Being able to see where friendly grenades are planted will definitely come in handy. And the meatshield cringe problem was very annoying.

Now if only they did something about host advantage...

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
So, if anyone from this thread is still around, I just started playing Gears of War 2 mutiplayer, and frankly I'm terrible at the game. Does anyone have any tips for me? I mostly play Warzone if that makes any difference.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I mostly play Execution and Wingman, so my advice is from what I've learned from those game types.

-Learn the shotgun. Get good at hipfiring, because you move slower when you're aiming. Eventually you'll get a feel for aiming without zooming, and you'll be more mobile, which is important in close quarters.

-Stay with someone else. If you're on you're own and you get knocked down, you have no hope of surviving. Even if you're just with one other person, you'll last way longer.

And a bit of personal advice, fire off a few rounds with your shot gun in the beginning of a round. I usually fire 3, and active reload when I see someone coming at me. If you're ever up for some games send me a friend request. My GT is Maniclysane.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
yeah I just got done playin some social matches. Funny thing is.. Real gamer i just played a game with you I think in fuel depot?

anyways.. yeah I don't really think I like this patch... I liked the idea, but now that I play it.. shotgun got buffed a little too much. There really isn't "shotgun fights" anymore... everyone dies in 2 shots. I dunno, this is me judging it off of like 3 games, but whatever. We'll see I guess :D

oh btw my g/t is Deeeeejay XL

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
...You three up for Horde today? I bought the complete map pack set because 20 maps, new campaign and social mode is too good to pass up.

I've only played horde on the default maps, and I would love to try it on a few of the new maps I just got.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
I gave the game a little longer today.. I actually really enjoy. Shotgun really is pretty crazy... but I guess you just have to adjust to it. Still lots of fun though, and so much better then before.

LieutenantSerg

Smash Lord
New update is too good :D

if anyone wants to play add me, I play alooottt
GT: LieutenantSerg

I dont have any of the additional maps besides the flashback ones though...

ThreeX

Smash Lord

now is your time to buy them man, the pack with all the maps (all fronts) are at 800 ms points right now

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I"ll probably be on Gears 2 a while today, so if anyone wants to play Gears just send me an invite, my GT is Master Xanthan. Doesn't matter what we play, campaign, horde, or multiplayer, it's all good.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion

I accidentally denied your friend request, sorry. I got your friend request and I didn't know who you were and after I deleted it I realized that it was someone from smashboards. I"ll just send you a friend request.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
They've overpowered the shotgun. It seems to be just as, if not more glitchy, and 60% of the time it downs people in 2 shots. Ridiculous.

LieutenantSerg

Smash Lord
2 shots is what it should be though, if you ever had host.... it only took 2
so host advantage is like not even there anymore which is really cool

but yeah its so hard to approach now :/
we should have a custom wingman match :)

The shotgun is still ridiculous though.

It's either a hit or a miss now, and what I mean by that is that the shotgun either shoots bullets or pillows.

I still play it everyday.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Can someone tell me about the online in this game?

I played 1vs1 with my friend once with computers and I was severely dissappointed by the multiplayer.

I just want to know something good so that I can give it another try :ohwell:

LieutenantSerg

Smash Lord
Playing with computers is lame and 1v1 is fun if you do like shotty battles.
try playing ranked or social matches it's way better than playing with bots lol

add me, we can play some matches and show you a thing or two ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom